The online racing simulator
Yay. All gold on the Nascar Challenges. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. A nice healthy amount of credits earned there
Coupe 'o pics

Quote from CoolColJ :Here is the video of Chrisss01's Gauggenhoff test track in a Nissan GT-R
Pretty challanging track! Damage replay to start.
Skip to 2:24 to jump right into the action for the actual track run

Could be wider IMO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2Z6RhP92I

I don't like the time of day though

I shall see what I can do about the time of day.
About the track being really tight and technical that's the whole point of the track.
Finally got the game yesterday and played for about 6 hours. Pretty good so far. Started off using the controller but that was shite so dug up the G25 and it's a much nicer experience.

Only got to level 11 so far, but theres so much to do so very much doubt i'll get bored of it for a while.

Heres a couple of pics of my last purchase.

My PSN is FudgeImBored if anyone wants to add me, i'll be up for some online racing once i've got myself some more cars.
Just golded the final "rally challenge" special event (missed the inter one, need to do that), and I have that feeling that rallying is something else that hasn't been fleshed out as much as it should have, apart from the special events, and arcade, there is a woefully low amount of rallying, which is a shame, because its actually pretty good.

I also wish there was a harder AI setting, tinkered with the "one make races" last night, and they would be quite fun, if the AI wasn't so woefully bad, I managed to win my one make CL600 race by a good 10secs, even with a ton of drifting thrown in.

I am constantly finding the physics of cars go from blindingly good, to woefully bad, depending on the car, I think that premium cars are generally better.
Quote from danowat :I am constantly finding the physics of cars go from blindingly good, to woefully bad, depending on the car, I think that premium cars are generally better.

I also find the physics feel different depending on the car. Yesterday i was driving some more powerful cars for the first time (SLS, 458, etc). With most of the "average" cars (S2000, NSX, RX-7, etc) the physics felt really good (comfort tyres)... however, cars like the SLS or 458 on sport or even racing tyres... physics feel very dumbed down and almost arcade-like to me. Was quite a disappointing experience.

I don't feel like premium cars have better physics. In my opinion it's a bit like forza... the slower cars feel much better in general.
Hmm...maybe I the standard cars I use are slow(er) than the premiums I use....

I raced the Audi R8 5.2 @ Tokyo R246, and that felt pretty awesome.
Quote from spyshagg :Bad things so far (level 15):

- The shadows but its not important.

- Can't rewind replays (or can I?)

- It can be VERY dark.
Had to turn off full RGB support and up the gamma.

- Aliasing
Too much of it when sitting close.
What happened to gow3 MSAA. It would be perfect

- The track editor.
I felt like some japanese developer pulled down his pants and literally urinated on my face.
What is that? that is no editor. I was already dreaming of corners and layouts and BAM I'm slapped on the face (or urinated).

- The blurriness
prevents me from judging corners at a distance. The cockpit dials are also very, very blurred. Can barely tell the speed looking at them. why...? its in your face. Make it pretty.

- Mixed impressions from the Forcefeedback
The sound makes me believe I am touching the apexes. But no shacking forcefeedback. I have to make more tests.

- physics
They vary but are a lot more closer to what the PC has to offer (I come from LFS). But I find it very unrealistic how a car loses grip on all 4 wheels and just keeps skidding at low speeds. A ferrari F40 doesn't keep skidding at 50kph. Jesus... I cannot skid my own car at 50kph and it has bicycle wheels compared to the F40.

- No G25 official support inside the game

- Flying car syndrome (as in not touching the ground). really obvious when going over apexes.

- visible Wheel degrees do not reflect actual steering wheel degrees.

- No option to remove the visible wheel

Good things so far:

- Challenges

- Nurburgring (played it to death on GTR. Its better on GT5)

- Weather. specially fog

- Nascar
Holy crap. Being European I totally diss Nascar. But I admit I am heavily impressed with its physics and feeling.

Its an ongoing evaluation. I will surely add more things to either side.

I'm gonna have to eat my own words now.

the physics pretty spectacular with some of the cars I tried yesterday. Apparently the tyres you choose can make or break the experience. Its all about the right choice of tyres.

Nordschleife + Mazda RX7 (tuned to 330hp) with hard sports tyres =

Nordshchleife + Honda ITR (tuned to 350hp) with hard sports tyres =
I try to stay away from anything grippier than a Sports-Hard tyre. There appears to be a reluctance to use comfort tyres online, though, perhaps unsurprisingly. I really just want to do standard car races with crappy tyres.
Getting to grips with the Stealth NSX GT500. The physics of this car feel awesome. Feels very much like in the GT Academy time trial, but with a better tyre model. You can catch slides now with the DFGT wheel and the Force Feedback feels better

No aids, no ABS, brake balance set to 4:2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oOkX26jmsI

I took a bunch of cars around the Indy road course and they all felt different.

The tyre model feels much different to the Time Trial, you can catch the slides now
I'm using a DFGT, which is amazing since you can feel and control the slides.

On Racing Hards -
The Nascars actually felt heavy, but probably somewhat "arcadey".
The Mazada 787b was a white knuckle ride!
The NSX GT500 was sublime, but funny that the GTR GT500 feels really tame. This is with all aids off and ABS off, with brake balance set at 4:2

On Sports hards -
The LP640 felt like a powerful heavy car it is.
SLS was more grippy on the bank turns, and it feels stable through turns and drifts nicely, you can control the slides on Sports tyres, they feel progressive

Also sense is speed feels correct now. In the S bend section, in the time trial, the 50-60kph felt so sluggish. Now even in that section it feels fast. The Mazda 787b feels scary fast!
Quote from danowat :I noticed this too, it appears that the XP isn't cumulative, like "normal", it does indeed reset to zero after ever level.

Also, someone mentioned earlier a way to upload pics to this forum from the XMB using the PS3 browser, can someone explain how this is done?

I see. Well then it's just me being a bit rubbish and doing my licences (some are REALLY hard, others are REALLY easy... The Superlicence is mostly easy (but often frustrating, having to pass AI that brake in stupid places)).

Once I've got my licences I'll do some more events. Then go back and get some more golds, because I got bored of retrying each one!!! I even started to settle for bronze without crying.

Oh, and I found an interesting glitch in photomode - if you go to the place with the cobbled arch (beefyman posted a pic of it a little way up there), and take a picture through one of the street lights, things disappear. The buildings behind it (through the glass) are gone with just the background image remaining. Cars driving past are gone, but their shadows remains, and the car I'm photographing (in this case an Mk1 MX-5) vanishes too... Very odd. I have photos on my PS3, so can post if people want proof, but just have a look yourself
Quote from sinbad :I really just want to do standard car races with crappy tyres.

Sounds like my kind of race, we'll have to try and setup some online racers that cater for this.
Quote from danowat :Sounds like my kind of race, we'll have to try and setup some online racers that cater for this.

Should probably add that by "standard" I mean unmodified. Well done GT5 for redefining the word, though
Unmodified is good too
Did you guys noticed how the slow cars on AMG SLS full course challenge manage to appear precicelly on the hardest places to overtake if you are not fast enough for gold?

I think that was very smart. I hard to work extra hard to gain just enough time to pass them in easier places. Finished gold with 7:04,490 with two braking mistakes and one grass trip.
Quote from danowat :Coupe 'o pics

Where did you get that bodykit? Is it unlocked later on, because right now all I see is the little chin spolier and wing
Pretty sure its just one of the ones on the aero list, don't think I've unlocked any aero parts.
Race old cars with comfort hard or medium tyres?
Then they should handle like crap like most old cars do. :P
Anyone done the German touring car race on extreme mode? Really can't find one and i've been looking for awhile.
Quote from danowat :Pretty sure its just one of the ones on the aero list, don't think I've unlocked any aero parts.

That's must be unlocked, because all I can see is 1 chin addon and a tacky wing. No wide body kit like your pic or a race mod
Quote from spacedskunk :, you don't push the pedal in just a tiny bit all the way and it won't allow you to shift. Really annoying tbh.

You can't do that in many cars on the road.. and when you do you run the risk of wearing your clutch very fast.
Quote from 91mason91 :Anyone done the German touring car race on extreme mode? Really can't find one and i've been looking for awhile.

Used car lot I saw the Astra DTM touring car there.
Quote from BlueFlame :You can't do that in many cars on the road.. and when you do you run the risk of wearing your clutch very fast.

Eh what? Have you thought about looking clutches up on HowStuffWorks or Wikipedia?
Quote from CoolColJ :That's must be unlocked, because all I can see is 1 chin addon and a tacky wing. No wide body kit like your pic or a race mod

Hmmm....odd, I think it was called an "extension" or something in the aero parts section of GT Auto
Quote from danowat :I noticed this too, it appears that the XP isn't cumulative, like "normal", it does indeed reset to zero after ever level.

It doesn't, or at least, it doesn't with me, it looks like it does when you level up on the end race menu, but when you quit that screen, go to home and you will see the xp that was left over gets added to your new level. I thought teh same until i looked on the home screen.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG