The online racing simulator
umm, but you still can use other cars as a barrier to get by and smoke disapears very quick sadly =(

The tyre sounds are still bad too, it seems. Why the hell can't they get it somewhat right ?

Reflections and models are indeed delicious, though.
Quote from JazzOn :umm, but you still can use other cars as a barrier to get by and smoke disapears very quick sadly =(

The tyre sounds are still bad too, it seems. Why the hell can't they get it somewhat right ?

Reflections and models are indeed delicious, though.

I'm guessing the damage is turned off for floor shows like this one.. i'll reserve my comment on that until we see the damage in work.
And the smoke, well it dissapears quicker then real life, but it's still the most realistic smoke from the tires i've ever seen in a video game..
Proper donuts in GT!!! Finally!

Who the hell drives 3rd person with a wheel?
Quote from miata :

Who the hell drives 3rd person with a wheel?

That's what i asked the guy He says he always drives like that with the wheel, feels more in control of the car
From the guy that went to Gamescon and got to interview Kaz

Quote :We didn't see any evidence of weather, but in his discussion of the Course Maker, Kazunori did include "weather" as one of the available parameters. The sounds have been upgraded - for the first time in 13 years we have a new tyre-slip noise! The 458 Italia in Kaz's demo didn't sound brilliant, but the system was set up for "loud" rather than "quality" - the NASCAR, on the other hand, sounded great even through the pissy little speakers on a mid-size Bravia LCD. I suspect our recording of it might not give the best impression - small microphone and lots of background noise - but it was pretty good. Some of the shadows and reflections, particularly on new tracks but not limited to new cars, were... "unfinished", but we suspect the code is literally a bare-bones demo of the tracks, cars, AI and physics. Wing-mirrors particularly seemed low-res compared even to the rear view mirror.

Quote :Things GT users are often disappointed by are largely out though - sound is improved, smoke is improved, horns and reverse lights work, visible damage begets mechanical damage, AI is waaaaay improved (Kaz believes the AI are equal to human counterparts - in the case of the majority of gamers, he may have a point). The biggest "down" is the lack of standard car cockpits - though they did try to implement the GTPSP variant, spending 2 months on it, after criticism earlier in the year (which is also good news - they listen keenly).

It's GT4 without GT4's faults, with improved graphics, more cars and a frickin' track maker. And 20-25% of the cars have a cockpit view, compared to 0%.

Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm guessing the damage is turned off for floor shows like this one..

It's not only about damage, I'm afraid. If you lean onto another car it would unstabalise it too... It's something that has always been wrong in GT (of course sometimes very helpful tho xD) and it seems not gotten any much better.

But yeah, smoke is very nice indeedly, but i reserve my comment about that untill we see LFS' "new" smoke (cus of more volume since the whole tyre will burn)
Quote from JazzOn :It's not only about damage, I'm afraid. If you lean onto another car it would unstabalise it too... It's something that has always been wrong in GT (of course sometimes very helpful tho xD) and it seems not gotten any much better.

Yeah, i know.. it probably has more to do with collision engine.. i'm worried about that too, it could ruin multiplayer completely.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yeah, i know.. it probably has more to do with collision engine.. i'm worried about that too, it could ruin multiplayer completely.

.. I remember seeing in some videos that the collisions are a lot better between AI and player.. Who knows.
I may be hoping for too much, but I hope the special suspensions and dampers on rally cars can be adjusted. PD seems to be modeling the suspension so it could be in there. Especially since the rally cars are premium models.

I'd also hope to be able to put rally suspension on a car as a modification.
Quote from legoflamb :I may be hoping for too much, but I hope the special suspensions and dampers on rally cars can be adjusted. PD seems to be modeling the suspension so it could be in there. Especially since the rally cars are premium models.

I'd also hope to be able to put rally suspension on a car as a modification.

I expect nothing from the rally part, i'm even pi**ed that they keep implementing it, and now even karting.. that time could've been spent on more Premium cars or tracks.. I mean what's the point in rally cars if you'll have like 2, 3 'dusty' tracks, and call that a rally.
@ Boris Lozac:

You are forgetting the track generator. My interest in GT5 has gone up for the track generator alone.

I agree road racing is the most important feature in a racing game; however rally racing is not so minuscule motor-sport that it should be left out. Especially since the previous carnations of GT have included it.

Karting is also a rather large world-wide motor-sport. If PD had the opportunity to model a chassis, then it would have been a mistake to pass it up. Even if the karting is a bit shoddy, they would have to test the market to see if it would be worth developing further.

A major problem caused by implementing so many features is the fact that they have forgone modeling at least some cockpit for all of the cars. If there would be a feature to leave out for focus on more important features, it should be the photo mode.

Just my two cents on that subject.
Quote from legoflamb : If there would be a feature to leave out for focus on more important features, it should be the photo mode.

I will keep my expectations of the track generator low.
@ MadCat360

I am not one to lower my expectations so as to keep myself from being disappointed.
Flag rules!

Skidmarks

About that collision we talked earlier, this reassures me:

Quote :now if you tap another car behind one of the rear wheels, that car will spin out, not you (just like the cops do in a car chase).

And it seems there's no catch-up system anymore! Finally

Quote :There was no indication what so ever of rubber banding, so spinning out means you have to do your darnest best to try and catch up.

This is from guys from GTPlanet who were at Gamescom.. they also say the engine sounds are severly improved.
I liked the frayed edges of the skidmarks, but could probably be a bit more faded

Here is a white flag Boris - That guy was driving really slow at that point and the AI was coming up to him. In F1, white flag mean: There is a slow vehicle in the road.

Quote from alba :Uploading a sample of the sounds I recorded (karts) No videos for now, I'll do that tomorrow but at least you get what kind of sounds we got.
Karting sounds
So tomorrow I'll have the hazardous task to edit and synchronize the video & the proper sound and make sure they're as close as possible. Wish me luck, lol.

The phase of one of the Audio channels is inverted after the 10 second mark! Which makes it sound all wonky and smeared

I fixed it by inverting one of the audio channels - much better now!! Though still not 100% right, must be because the cable wasn't plugged in properly.

Also removed the DC offset before doing so, a fair bit too, about 3-4%.
Sound is pretty clipped/distorted though.

http://www.members.optushome.c ... d/GT5_GC_2010_Karting.mp3

Sounds much like the kart clip on PD's site
Good thing - the sound is more in line with what I heard in the Time Trial, no longer has that GT4/GT5:P zing and synthetic pitch shifting tone

Quote from real_tron :Alba has put a sound file of the XJ13 up.
http://private.albator.eu/gamescom/2010/GT5_GC_2010_XJ13.wma

I processed this audio file as well, same problems as the one above.
Now the music is normal, but wonky after processing which makes the music smear into the background, but the engine sounds better
Although there is some obvious pitch shifting, but it's not too annoying and chipmunked
http://www.members.optushome.c ... ound/GT5_GC_2010_XJ13.mp3
I thought the white flag was always the flag signifying the final lap.
Quote from legoflamb :I thought the white flag was always the flag signifying the final lap.

Only in American racing, internationally it's the signal of a slow car on track (including service vehicles like tow trucks and clean-up crews)

Actually, I believe the only circuit racing where a white flag doesn't signify a slow vehicle on track is in oval racing, as I know I've seen it used by marshals to denote service vehicles on track during ALMS and other events at Mosport and the Toronto Indy.
OH YEAH NOVEMBER 3 comes out on my bday now who wants to send me a PS3 as a birthday gift so i can enjoy it? :P
Quote from CoolColJ :I processed this audio file as well, same problems as the one above.
Now the music is normal, but wonky after processing which makes the music smear into the background, but the engine sounds better
Although there is some obvious pitch shifting, but it's not too annoying and chipmunked
http://www.members.optushome.c ... ound/GT5_GC_2010_XJ13.mp3

Real Jaguar XJ13 to compare. It sounds synthetic in comparison, but I can hear the character in it. The proper GT5 audio should be much more defined based on Alba's kart capture vs the PD's kart video
I just don't like the throttle blips in GT5, they don't start low enough in the rev range and sound distinct enough, but if you using a clutch and H-Pattern you can get around that and do it yourself I suppose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_BrTd4uQLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9FoExi1yxI
@ MAGGOT

I learn something new every day!
Bonnet cam tour of Nurburgring.

Finally a track that matches the tempo of the scenery, it actually feels like a video clip for the song
If I ever put some music out, I'd probably use something like GT5 for my video clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w_NOoTgLAE
-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ
Some vids, with sound, I fixed up the original audio, they had phase problems

M5 doing lots of donuts on the Top Gear track
This is the only one that didn't sound distorted
It sounds to me like PD forgot to mix in the exhaust tone in the interior view. You can hear it in the outside view.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-fffZ53kn8

Muira actually sounds quite close to the real thing - much to my surprise. Pretty distorted capture though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PoxToB8NKo
The real thing, jump to 3:43, and a drive by at 5:55 to compare
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSj7GFLDhew
-
(CoolColJ) DELETED by CoolColJ

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG