The online racing simulator
LFS Keyboard Racers
(86 posts, started )
I used KB for my whole first year with LFS. I tried mouse several times but found it impossible to even keep the car in a straight line.
Quote from zeugnimod :I used KB for my whole first year with LFS.

I think that maybe the main reason =/.
I begun with mouse. Tried Kb sometimes just for curiosity but its hard for me
When i played on DEMO i was on Keyboard.. but the faster cars i couldn't handle so i tried the mouse and since then never looked back

But now for next month i will be buying the G25 wheel as wanna try it out
#54 - robt
People find it odd that Pre patch P (or was it R/S that had the physics changes) i could drive the FO8 on keys happily, now i cant control it (well not fast anyway!)
In my opinion, it isn´t hard to get good times with keyboard..
Already got the 1:23 on BL XRT, but has less time now to play lfs, so I can't improve my times at the other tracks..
I could even handle the FO8, with some practice you could handle the FO8 too. In BOTT I qualified myself on server 1 with the FO8, and I think I was the only one who was racing that league on keyboard.
And I´ve had some WR´s on different tracks, so it is really possible to catch up with the wheel and mouse drivers..
Quote from Nosser :In my opinion, it isn´t hard to get good times with keyboard..
Already got the 1:23 on BL XRT, but has less time now to play lfs, so I can't improve my times at the other tracks..
I could even handle the FO8, with some practice you could handle the FO8 too. In BOTT I qualified myself on server 1 with the FO8, and I think I was the only one who was racing that league on keyboard.
And I´ve had some WR´s on different tracks, so it is really possible to catch up with the wheel and mouse drivers..

In some of the smaller cars it's not a problem, but you got away with the FO8 I reckon, very hard to drive a faster car well without analoug controls.
Mouse user here
My very 1st go on this game was at my friends home, he had wheel and pedals etc and it was like 5 yeasr ago.

2 years later i got my own pc and got LFS.

Only then did I realise "crap, I got no wheel and pedals what do I do"

Started using the mouse to steer.
After a few days of cursing in the voice of muttley the dog I finally became one with my mouse.

I now drive with mouse better than some people do with steering wheel.
I would not trade it for a wheel lol.

I spent 14 years driving in real life and to work so much on pedals and wheel for me on a game would be to physically demanding.

Driving is fun until it becomes your job ^^

After wich driving becomes a chore and You certainly dont want to relax by pushing more pedals in your leisure time hehe.
Talk about knee cramp OUCH!

However the mouse is taking its toll my left thumb is locking up and aching lool. I dont know why I dont even use it in game but i guess its how it is rested against the keyboard when my left hand changes gears (keys)
Quote from spenceris :.... ....

off topic : anyone tried racing online being drunk?

Some servers have a nice cocktail bar behind the pits.
i was thinking about in real life drunk ^^
i did it three times in LFS and nobody was happy about it cause i didnt realise where i was going etc
i´m KB user

my fast lap in BL1 is: 1:34:XX -- XFG

my controls:

up arrow = throttle
down arrow = brake
left arrow = left
right arrow = right
A = gear up
Z = gear down
S = clutch
X = handbrake

without any help...

my controls:

S- shift up
X- shift down
C- clutch
W,E-look left, right
up, down, left, right- steering
Spacebar- handbrake
I'm a lifelong keyboard user - started when I got myself a ZX81, so that's 25+ years!

Tried using wheel, but I'm much faster with keyboard.

Keyboard Option Settings:
Stabilised
Steer Rate: 0.42
Return Rate: 0.18
Fast Speed Multiplier: 1.00
Slow Speed Multiplier: 0.00
Limit Multiplier: 0.75
Button Control Rate: 5.50

I have sometimes dropped my above Steer and Return rates to do Oval Racing, as it makes cornering much smoother, therefore quicker.

Find some of the cars understeer badly when using keyboard (especially FZR, FXR, XRR), so have to put lot of front wing on, and next to zero rear wing. Alter tyre pressures accordingly!

If you like racing with keyboard, stick with it. Quite a few very quick keyboarders out there (wish I was one of them!). Always nice to see them, especially on my server.
#63 - robt
Quote from sinanju :

Find some of the cars understeer badly when using keyboard (especially FZR, FXR, XRR), so have to put lot of front wing on, and next to zero rear wing. Alter tyre pressures accordingly!

never known the xrr to understeer myself. then again, what steering lock are you using? i find between 10 and 14 works best for keys
EDIT: hope that setup helps sinanju!
I admit to using the racing simulator version of satan that is the keyboard

It's weird, when I use the mouse my wheels keep sticking up in the air and my head feels closer to the tarmac than usual...
It seems some servers don't let keyboarders to drive. FOX junkies has been my favourite server, but now keyboard isn't allowed there.

What is going on?
Quote from Norppis4 :It seems some servers don't let keyboarders to drive. FOX junkies has been my favourite server, but now keyboard isn't allowed there.

What is going on?

I always race on the FOX Junkies server too. I'm on a keyboard and I can drive there, so that can't be the problem. If it says something about "bad control options", you need a better PB to race on the server. So you can just go to an empty server or make one yourself, and do a few hotlaps, until you're within 7%(?) of the world record.

Btw, you can see what the world record on the car/track combination is by typing /w wr. But when you try to join the race on the FOX Junkies server, it will probably say what laptime you need to be able to join the race.
Quote from Steelbeen :I always race on the FOX Junkies server too. I'm on a keyboard and I can drive there, so that can't be the problem. If it says something about "bad control options", you need a better PB to race on the server. So you can just go to an empty server or make one yourself, and do a few hotlaps, until you're within 7%(?) of the world record.

Btw, you can see what the world record on the car/track combination is by typing /w wr. But when you try to join the race on the FOX Junkies server, it will probably say what laptime you need to be able to join the race.

Ok. Thanks.
Quote from Fastwalker :yep mouse is alot better than keys, once u get used to it

im still driving with mouse now o_o
will get a g25 soon tho

when ur steering with mouse, just try to look at the virtual wheel in the car
and dont think of the mouse itself

good tip

i am driving with mouse to since day 1 in LFS (using defalt mouse controls)

and it's impossible for me to drive a car from example "chase camera" or "bumper view"

"onboard cam." is must when you drive with mouse

Quote from LiveForBoobs :I think mouse is much better than keyboard.. Right now you probably feel otherwise because most racing games only support keyb and not mouse, so you're more used to keyboard.

Also, there's a little trick you can do to make it easier with mouse, that is decreasing the angle that the car's tyres turn (maximum lock). For instance, on FBM the regular value is 20º, if you use 14º it should feel much better.

I remember that in OFP1 i used mouse for steering as well, and it felt very natural

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/574/1118961449.jpg
I'm stuck on keyboard right now because my wheel is busted. As a result I haven't played online in months I can't use the mouse to drive because we have cats who like to randomly jump on me, and I don't want to end up meeting the walls when they want a turn.

I'm looking at getting a DFGT as part of my birthday though (can't justify the price of a G25/27), so I might be back online at some point soon. Need to work out what I can attach it to first - my old wheel worked alright sitting on my lap, but I understand that the GT doesn't.
I'm a keyboard racer too but I already started out LFS as this though I had to modify some things. I still do win a few races with a keyboard (with a good setup that is)
Quote from speed1230 :I'm a keyboard racer too but I already started out LFS as this though I had to modify some things. I still do win a few races with a keyboard (with a good setup that is)

Yeah, same for me. I started playing LFS about 1 year ago, and I have always used my keyboard. I sometimes win races too, but not that much. Although some people say it's harder to drive on a keyboard than with a wheel, I don't think it is. You have to practice with a keyboard, just like you have to practice when you're a wheel driver.
Quote from Dajmin :(can't justify the price of a G25/27)

The G25 was only 150 € before it was phased out of inventories. While a DFGT can be had for almost half the price, that was still a bargain IMO.

If you're lucky you might still find one lying around in some offline shop.
One of Swedens best, WR #5 with XRG on BL2.

Throttel: Arrow Up
Brake: Arrow Down
Steer Left: Left Arrow
Steer Right: Right Arrow
Gear Up: W
Gear Down: E
Clutch: R
Look Left: A
Look Right: D
Look Behind: S

Manual Clutch
No-Stabilised
Always used a keyboard, not going to stop either.
Quote from Gelin SWE :One of Swedens best, WR #5 with XRG on BL2.

3185 laps driver there with XRG + over 8000 laps with XFG and you are surprised you have a good time at one combo? But then look at your other combos.

To stay on topic. I have also used keyboard all the time and I also find it easy nowadays. The only big problem with keyboard is, tire blocking which results to tire popping, but that is mostly only for GTRs. Well you are also not as stable as with mouse or wheel, but that doesn't matter as long as you have fun. Just practice and you can have decent pace with keyboard also, and it doesn't mean you are a crasher because you have a keyboard, because I've noticed some good leagues forbid it. They should test the drivers to see if they should be let to drive in a league not forbid the keyboards.

Nice bump there, btw.

LFS Keyboard Racers
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG