The online racing simulator
And he was a programmer who ended up as a professor?
Quote from matijapkc :Then it is a bad joke.

sorry dude ive gotta say this fix ur damn sig xD been bugging me for ages u have TI instead of IT haha
Quote from J03130 :sorry dude ive gotta say this fix ur damn sig xD been bugging me for ages u have TI instead of IT haha

If that bugs you, you should take a chillpill

:P

j/k
Quote from ASR Sanchez :Says all to me Nothing to report=nothing done so far

Call me a pedant for this but, that isn't so. Nothing to report could me, as I suspect it does, that work is being done but due to problems it isn't really advancing. Also if the same work is being done as the last progress report then there isn't anything to report. If they were fixing bugs and still are fixings but (although different bugs) short of explaining in details what the bugs were and how they were/are being fixed what else can you say?
Quote from The Very End :
So, let's just get too drunk to ****ing care, that's what I do It's done when it's done, slow as ass indeed, but nothing we can do about it. (there, neutral statement 'aye?).

That's a word. *opens a bottle*
Quote from rockclan :If that bugs you, you should take a chillpill

:P

j/k

lol its like OCD same when teacher used to leave a little mark on the board after cleaning it it pisses me off xD
Quote from J03130 :lol its like OCD same when teacher used to leave a little mark on the board after cleaning it it pisses me off xD

xD you are so crazy
Quote from J03130 :sorry dude ive gotta say this fix ur damn sig xD been bugging me for ages u have TI instead of IT haha

sorry dude ive gotta say this fix ur damn avatar xD been bugging me for ages u have some ugly A** pic instead of some cool A** pic like everybody else haha
Quote from legoflamb :sorry dude ive gotta say this fix ur damn avatar xD been bugging me for ages u have some ugly A** pic instead of some cool A** pic like everybody else haha

its what makes me so unique xD been wanting to change it for a while but haven't found the right pic lol

EDIT: FOUND IT xD
That is a cool A** pic, you have now assimilated with everyone else. At least it still works with your location
Quote from legoflamb :That is a cool A** pic, you have now assimilated with everyone else. At least it still works with your location

hehe
Loving the kiss-ass attitude of some of the posters in this thread, "go on Scawen, take your time, don't listen to them etc etc". Let's get real, there are millions of decent family men out there that still work hard and have a successful career. Since Scawen does not really need to travel for his work it makes it even easier for him. That's not really much of an excuse some of close friends are full time dads yet manage to work hard.

Scawen's comments that he hasn't been devoting as much time as he would have liked is a typical politicians answer, basically he's being doing close to jack-shit but obviously he can't say that just give some short, contrived explanations why it's taking so long. And with the advice to go some place else i'd dare say he'd hardly even started it.
Why is that a bad thing? Why should Scawen work 18 hour days when the whole point of LFS is to get away from the corporate world and do their own project how they want to do it.

The advice to go elsewhere has been repeated before (all the way back to 2004 ish), and is sensible advice. Play something else whilst you wait rather than cry on this forum about how Scawen isn't thinking of your personal needs and wants.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why is that a bad thing? Why should Scawen work 18 hour days when the whole point of LFS is to get away from the corporate world and do their own project how they want to do it.

The advice to go elsewhere has been repeated before (all the way back to 2004 ish), and is sensible advice. Play something else whilst you wait rather than cry on this forum about how Scawen isn't thinking of your personal needs and wants.

So why can't he just be honest and say development is slow because we just don't care about our users think/want?
Quote from Dac :
Scawen's comments that he hasn't been devoting as much time as he would have liked is a typical politicians answer, basically he's being doing close to jack-shit but obviously he can't say that just give some short, contrived explanations why it's taking so long. And with the advice to go some place else i'd dare say he'd hardly even started it.

Its interesting how pessimistic a view some people take on this subject, and equally I suppose how optimistic others have been, I think only a few people here actually know how much or little work is involved to create a tyre physics model, that is realistic enough and different enough to others that have come before.

Reminds me of the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" but that would make for an awfully boring forum

SD.
Quote from Dac :So why can't he just be honest and say development is slow because we just don't care about our users think/want?

Complaining that somebody is about as selfish as yourself. Nice job.
Quote from Dac :Loving the kiss-ass attitude of some of the posters in this thread, "go on Scawen, take your time, don't listen to them etc etc". Let's get real, there are millions of decent family men out there that still work hard and have a successful career. Since Scawen does not really need to travel for his work it makes it even easier for him. That's not really much of an excuse some of close friends are full time dads yet manage to work hard.

The point is "he" doesn't NEED to say anything, you aren't OWED updates.

Sure, LFS development is hella slow, I don't think anyone can say otherwise, but no amount of status updates, or people saying it should be done this way or that will change that, because thats the way it is, and the way it always has been, like it or lump it.
Quote from Dac :So why can't he just be honest and say development is slow because we just don't care about our users think/want?

Because that isn't true? I'm sure Scawen does care - very much. Probably more than you.

Development is just slow. No 'because' or qualifier is really needed. It's the way it is. You can claim you've been personally slighted by it, or that your angry Scawen doesn't email you personally every time he does a bit of coding, but it won't change anything.

LFS may die from the wait. It might not; the next patch might be so good that EVERY sim racer ONLY plays LFS for the next 12 years. Two extremes, and both are possible. I suspect the reality is in the middle, and it'll just bumble along at its own pace for a while yet, as it has always done...
I didn't say he owed us anything! What is getting my gripe here is that he knows and everybody else knows he hasn't been doing jack **** otherwise we'd have it, all we get is some politicians long winded ambiguous answers. He can't just come out with the truth and say 'yeah, we've haven't been doing it for such and such a reason'. He'd rather make us believe something is still happening and always has been rather than give us the reality of the situation.

There's no need for personal insults here anybody who does resort to such shouldn't be listened to.
Quote from tristancliffe :Because that isn't true? I'm sure Scawen does care - very much. Probably more than you.

Development is just slow. No 'because' or qualifier is really needed. It's the way it is. You can claim you've been personally slighted by it, or that your angry Scawen doesn't email you personally every time he does a bit of coding, but it won't change anything.

LFS may die from the wait. It might not; the next patch might be so good that EVERY sim racer ONLY plays LFS for the next 12 years. Two extremes, and both are possible. I suspect the reality is in the middle, and it'll just bumble along at its own pace for a while yet, as it has always done...

Look at the facts, weeks and weeks months and months years and years and yet no updates. It doesn't take much to realise nothing is or at least has been happening.
Your overwhelming proof of the simplicity of developing and testing accurate models for tyre behaviour, suspension designs and electronic control systems at a pace which doesn't threaten burning out astounds me.
Quote from Dac :I didn't say he owed us anything! What is getting my gripe here is that he knows and everybody else knows he hasn't been doing jack **** otherwise we'd have it, all we get is some politicians long winded ambiguous answers. He can't just come out with the truth and say 'yeah, we've haven't been doing it for such and such a reason'. He'd rather make us believe something is still happening and always has been rather than give us the reality of the situation.

There's no need for personal insults here anybody who does resort to such shouldn't be listened to.

I do now know that Scawen has been doing "jack ****" as you put it. I can't say that he has been as busy as he once was, nor as busy as he hoped / planned. He did tell us he hasn't been doing things at the rate he once had, and he said a lot of the things he is doing takes time and thought. I believe this, and know from my own experiences that you can't just say: "finishNewTirePhysics()" and voila it is all done - especially when you are trying to make it fit with already existing cars. Even if your theory is correct and he/they are doing "jack ****" how would him saying that "jack ****" has happened help anymore than him saying development has been slow and give some reasons (some which are legit in my opinion), even if you feel they aren't good enough? What does that solve? Nothing. So as others have said, play something else - or at the very least lets stop the whining, please.

The patch will be out when it comes out. When it does I'll be sure to give it a try. Until then, I will play LFS on the rare occasion and go about my life normally.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Your overwhelming proof of the simplicity of developing and testing accurate models for tyre behaviour, suspension designs and electronic control systems at a pace which doesn't threaten burning out astounds me.

Indeed, smacks of someone who hasn't the slightest idea of the hornets nest that is developing said systems.

Even MASSIVE development teams (PD) take a shed load of time to develop them.
Quote from Dac :Look at the facts, weeks and weeks months and months years and years and yet no updates. It doesn't take much to realise nothing is or at least has been happening.

Maybe because, at the pace Scawen, Eric and Victor want to work at the moment (and presumably they can still pay the bills, so they can choose their work ethic), the patch simply takes weeks, months and years to complete?

If Scawen had worked 18 hour days on LFS for the last three years, and no patch had been released, would you assume that he had done nothing as well? i.e. are you facts actually 100% guesses?
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG