The online racing simulator
alright here it is again with completly different materials. i think its pretty good,but the only thing i have no clue is the licensplate in the window reflection. i checked there is nothing in the car to reflect,or anywhere. ill call it wierd !
Attached images
hdri test.jpg
Quote from e2mustang :alright here it is again with completly different materials. i think its pretty good,but the only thing i have no clue is the licensplate in the window reflection. i checked there is nothing in the car to reflect,or anywhere. ill call it wierd !

There is still a way to go. The numberplate you are seeing looks very much like a wrong texture close to where the gearshifter is. Look closely, and you can see the shifter itself It also apears like there are 3 front seats and this is because you are using heavy refraction. Don't use refraction at all. Even realistically speaking, the refraction on car windows is so little that it's barely noticeable - but even then, you'd need to do some modeling to archive that. Just stay away from refraction.

It also looks like you are using some sort of a tonemapping filter - look at the the bright reflections on the front window and the hood - they are gray and "squashed" - very unnatural looking. You need to tweak the tonemapper so that bright reflections don't get clipped that much (before you ask: a gray sky doesn't equal gray reflections - that's why HDRI's are considered realistic vs. regular images as for instance backgrounds).

A note on tonemapping: You should avoid using it. It's advanced stuff for ppl who understands lighting. I may be wrong, but I will assume that you don't know the full meaning of it - if that's true, then you could end up tweaking reflections (because they look gray) when you shouldn't: because it's the tonemapper causing the reflections to look off - or the light or colors to look off.
funny coz i used background with hdri specifically for theese renders. and i took windshield mat from an evermotion car. i dont know anything about that filter u talkin about. i will check that texture tho
Quote from e2mustang :funny coz i used background with hdri specifically for theese renders. and i took windshield mat from an evermotion car. i dont know anything about that filter u talkin about. i will check that texture tho

Not sure what you mean by "funny". I'm saying HDRI is a good thing - BUT the reflections looking like they do, is most likely because of a tonemapper.

See if something like this is being used, and either tweak or remove it (I'd recommend you remove it).

The material you are using was made for a car which was modeled for rendering. LFS cars' aren't modeled for rendering.

Have a look at pic #1 and pic #2.

In pic #1 you can basically see straight through the glasses, but in pic #2, you can't, even though glass refracts more than water, which is what's in those glasses. The empty glasses "aren't refracting more" because of volume/thickness. Glasses are thin, so the effect is little. That's the issue with your rendering. The windows are flat, but in 3D apps that doesn't mean they are thin - it actually means the opposite. You need to add some thickness if you want to do true glass material.

BUT.. I'm also saying that refraction on car windows is so little noticeable, that you can avoid using it altogether, and more than often no one will ever notice - and your renders will be quicker.
Hey mus. on the material editor see this:

on the right of "refraction" see IOR=x,x try IOR=1,1 or IOR= 1,0

This will help to the windows.
okay. well @r4ptor.
i have color mapping with Exponential as i followed tut. but maybe you see the color balance i did with photoshop? well anyway i tried to thicken the glass,and i think its way better now,also the plate is gone in car. i also changed IOR for refraction to 1,1 from 1,6.
here is the tut i just followed it,but made some changes for my render link

@loko: thanks i tried it.

result: note,now the rest of the window fooked... try to make the thicker too?

r4ptor: add me on msn? so people dont get sick from same renders every day

EDIT: i attached a small render with other windows thickened
Attached images
xrt hdri test new.jpg
windowfix.jpg
Quote from e2mustang :okay. well @r4ptor.

Hi Mustang,

You should not apologize,

Here you learn from.
and this is good for others
I also learn from.

Just go through.
or open a new thread.
i have color mapping with Exponential as i followed tut. but maybe you see the color balance i did with photoshop?

Could be, but not if you only used the tools described in the tutorial - but in this particular case its not. I'll explain further below.

Quote :
well anyway i tried to thicken the glass,and i think its way better now,also the plate is gone in car. i also changed IOR for refraction to 1,1 from 1,6.

Indeed - looks much better now

My lack of experience with 3DS/VRay prevents me to guess why you had black windows. I would have said ray depth optimization at first, but that can't be it. If it was, then the small render should have had black windows. Not the bigger render.

Quote :

Sure, but I think this thread would become boring fast if all ppl did was to show renders, and never wrote anything.

Some notes: I glimpsed over the tutorial quickly - The render you have goes to about step 19. The author doesn't explain what he does after this step until he later opens Photoshop. The final render has a brighter car, and because of the difference in camera angle, I can also see clearly that the background is too dark. You can see the sun setting, but the glow is grayish - it shouldn't be (it's grayish because the quality of the HDRI isn't good - but thats normal with many HDR images).

I can't say exactly what he did - what I would do, would be to adjust the HDRI settings (I think it's called Multiplier), so it becomes brighter and more natural looking, and then render that out.

It explains why you are getting bad reflections (again, bad HDRI quality). Your reflection transition goes from red (car paint), blue tint (slight reflection of the sky) gray gray gray gray. There should be more detail. The sky in your HDR is simple, but there is gradient - you should be able to get that in your reflections.

Basically - the way the HDRI is affecting the reflections is no different than using a non HDRI as background.
i have color mapping with Exponential as i followed tut. but maybe you see the color balance i did with photoshop? well anyway i tried to thicken the glass,and i think its way better now,also the plate is gone in car. i also changed IOR for refraction to 1,1 from 1,6.

@loko: thanks i tried it.

result: note,now the rest of the window fooked... try to make the thicker too?

EDIT: i attached a small render with other windows thickened

The first one is really good, I just don't like the reflection of the road on your wheel
Quote from Boekanier :Hi Mustang,

You should not apologize,

Here you learn from.
and this is good for others
I also learn from.

Just go through.
or open a new thread.

if people learn from it,than we go through it here

Quote from r4ptor :Could be, but not if you only used the tools described in the tutorial - but in this particular case its not. I'll explain further below.

thanks

Quote from leonardo555 :The first one is really good, I just don't like the reflection of the road on your wheel

yeah that i dont like either,but cant do much about it,its reflection. maybe in an other render
my god...

after many hours with troubleshooting with mr. r4ptor finally we found the darkness problem. it was a frikkin simple uncheck the " affect background" at color mapping settings. but we were on an other render already so im not doing any more of that render. so here is a new one,which i cant fix with photoshop,i need blurred wheels,just no wai i can do it,i tried---> i failed here it is anyway.

original pic and the pic from it for background(which i made in ps!!!!) also attached
Attached images
fook dis.jpg
techart-gtstreet-rs-08.jpg
techart-gtstreet renderhez copy.jpg
Quote from e2mustang :my god...
so here is a new one,which i cant fix with photoshop,i need blurred wheels,just no wai i can do it,i tried

What do you mean? You have the wheels blurred (spinning), so what is exactly are you talking about?
Quote from andRo. :What do you mean? You have the wheels blurred (spinning), so what is exactly are you talking about?

looks like crap,i did it but could be way better
Mustang,

try to find a tut on "motion blur"

I cant explane it my english is to bad,

with that you can render a spinnig wheel.
Quote from e2mustang :yeah that i dont like either,but cant do much about it,its reflection. maybe in an other render

In this scene do you only use HDRI or a plane too?
e2mustang - excellent . wierd thing about the blur, but it's better than last night.
I somehow found out by myself how to add motion blur.
Just select objects that you want to have motion blur on, for ex. wheel (one wheel, WITHOUT BRAKE CALIPER), then go to "Motion" tab and Press button: Add key: Rotation. Then go to next frame, either by clicking on > in that frame line in bottom or I guess by clicking . button on keyboard, then add rotation key again but this time set rotation axis (and maybe in first frame you had to set it, dunno, just try) and set rotation angle, while changing it you'll see how wheel rotation changes.
After setting these things up, go pack to frame #1, go to V-Ray camera properties and enable Motion Blur. And don't forget to increase shutter time, because these are basics from photography, longer shutter time - more blur Good luck
Quote from iFastLT :I somehow found out by myself how to add motion blur.
Good luck

Thanks iFastLT.

i wil save that.
yeah, but cant you do motion blur on just a still image? with camera i could do,but than to figure out when the blur its gonna be good,lets say with a background image,coz if u move car a bit,it might be no good. i might try that anyway sometime,but now im working on a new project,blackwood is coming alive in 3d!
You can adjust how much object moves in frame, so more it moves, more blur you'll have
One tip regarding motion blur:

The biggest issue there can be with motionblur, is rendertimes - even if it's just a single frame, it's not always you may want to wait however long it will take to complete the render.. so the tip:

Lower the reflection quality of the rims/tires - typically ppl have blurred reflections on them, and you can easily get away by dropping the quality. The more motion blur you want, the more you can drop the quality.
as i said working on blackwood. here is it so far,but im not gonna do whole track,only pits
Attached images
BL 2.jpg
BL 1.jpg
Looks great. The lighting/shot in the car render is really cool.
Yeah, good pic
great Mustang.

tip!

use a bump on the walls and road.
make is more real.

3D LFS renders
(8243 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG