The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :It does seem a tiny bit fishy that the change over isn't seamless, as it would be with a pure relocation. But who knows... We'll just have to wait and see

I hope this is a teaser for 0.6A at the least...
Quote from tristancliffe :It does seem a tiny bit fishy that the change over isn't seamless, as it would be with a pure relocation. But who knows... We'll just have to wait and see

Wouldn't a datacentre relocation usually involve unplugging the servers, packing them in a van and plugging in at the new place?

I know it's possible to do a seamless relocation, but it's much more expensive (you need 2 of everything) and much more complicated to do.
Dont get your hopes up guys.

All it will do is sink your heart down even more.
Quote from Degats :Wouldn't a datacentre relocation usually involve unplugging the servers, packing them in a van and plugging in at the new place?

I know it's possible to do a seamless relocation, but it's much more expensive (you need 2 of everything) and much more complicated to do.

This a million times, don't make your minds on stuff that's not there, it's just a server relocation, this happened before I think two years ago.
if you get worked up, and think everything great will happen, when (if) it finally does, you feel dissapointed that you waited so long for that, and it is not quite what you thought it would be....its going to happen to me, it does every time something like this happens.....happens often, its

dammit!!! i could not think of the word to end it with to make it really deep and meaningful, so i could copy and paste that to my facebook status :hide:
#531 - Uke
I think that this at least proves that devs are working on a new patch. I don't see any reason for relocating the servers if they aren't willing to keep the game alive.
Quote from Uke :I think that this at least proves that devs are working on a new patch. I don't see any reason for relocating the servers if they aren't willing to keep the game alive.

It's not like we didn't already know that they were working on a new patch. If Scawen decided to stop developing LFS I'm sure he would say so, it's not like he's got anything to be afraid of. He's the boss, he can quit whenever he wants to. Anyone who truly believes/believed Scawen wasn't continuing work on a new patch - however slowly - is a muppet.
#533 - Uke
Quote from obsolum :It's not like we didn't already know that they were working on a new patch. If Scawen decided to stop developing LFS I'm sure he would say so, it's not like he's got anything to be afraid of. He's the boss, he can quit whenever he wants to. Anyone who truly believes/believed Scawen wasn't continuing work on a new patch - however slowly - is a muppet.

I'm sorry if I'm a muppet. -.-

I knew Scawn was continuing work on the patch, but i wasn't so sure has he made any progress since the Tyre Physics Progress report. This, however brings me some hope that Scawen has already done somethin for it.
It's a bit of a far cry going from server relocation to progress on the new patch - they're completely different, there is now common ground whatsoever... But whatever works for you, fine by me...

All our servers are being physically moved from one place to another.

We are not changing our housing company, only they are closing down their occupancy where our servers are currently housed, and moving their servers and ours to another location.

Quote from Degats :Wouldn't a datacentre relocation usually involve unplugging the servers, packing them in a van and plugging in at the new place?

Exactly.

The only other thing we could do is redirect to a temporary placeholder website that says "our servers are being moved, please come back later" and a temporary master server that allows racing but collects no statistics during the move. But the problem is that DNS updates take quite a few hours to propagate around the world... so doing a DNS update to a temporary ip address and then back again a few hours later could be a waste of time.

Though I will discuss this with Victor... there could be some sense in doing this, just in case the server restarting is delayed for any reason. It would then be better to have a placeholder website instead of an error page...
The master has spoken!

Ok so thats maintenance sorted. What about some physics?
Don't be so harsh...

What about another PR?
#538 - Dac
Drat, all our hopes destroyed in a single post :P
#539 - Uke
Quote from Dac :Drat, all our hopes destroyed in a single post :P

I hope that was sarcasm..
#540 - Dac
Quote from Uke :I hope that was sarcasm..

"only they are closing down their occupancy where our servers are currently housed, and moving their servers and ours to another location."

Does not appear to be anything related to updates if you ask me.
and what?
#542 - Uke
Quote from Dac :"only they are closing down their occupancy where our servers are currently housed, and moving their servers and ours to another location."

Does not appear to be anything related to updates if you ask me.

Yeah, but what hopes?
I heard the update was so big and ferocious that the current servers would simply not be good enough.

NOT!
i guess im the only one that is just glad he said something and is fine with whatever time he needs/wants to finish the next patch.....its obvious that he will not dissapoint us, lok at what he has given us in the past, he has given all of these wonderful things, and why are we stressing him to hurry up? if he wants he can just quit, or you could just leave.....seriously people
Quote from Scawen :
We are not changing our housing company, only they are closing down their occupancy where our servers are currently housed, and moving their servers and ours to another location.

Talk about a party pooper </trolling>
#546 - Dac
Quote from Uke :Yeah, but what hopes?

The hopes that the server downtime would be due to new updates
Just because you read more into stuff than there is.
Oh come on! That clearly says that the maintenance is not due to update.

Jesus people...
Quote from logitekg25 :(...) and why are we stressing him to hurry up? if he wants he can just quit, or you could just leave.....seriously people

You haven't even been here a year. 'Nuff said.
Quote from obsolum :You haven't even been here a year. 'Nuff said.

You haven't been here even 3 years yet. 'Nuff said.

2002 to future here.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG