The online racing simulator
Wouldn't the "jumper point" provoke T1 carnage?
Quote from pik_d :Why not meet in the middle and make both Free and Full limited to 3, or better yet, make them both 4. It's not like small teams (who have "donated" 30 euros) wont want to test stuff after they've gotten the Full version.

There are people who "donated" 49 € just recently, I think they need to have something more for the money than they could have had for 29 €. If there's a limit of 4 servers in FULL (or no limit), I'd need to further reduce FULL functionality comparing to PROS. This is really an attempt to make a version that misses just very few of the PROS features and is suitable for small teams or individuals, which need just one or two servers.

Quote from Joris :Wouldn't the "jumper point" provoke T1 carnage?

So far I did not see any real attempts to gain the one poor (optional) point at the first lap finish by purposeful crashing. It is, I think, really just good luck and a bit of cleverness that makes you a lucky jumper, passing the most of other drivers... Sort of a stunt action.
Hi EQ!

Nice to have the avg lap already, we were really looking forward to it!
I'm waiting for our official monday race to end in order to make the update, but in the meanwhile I'm already recoding the parsers.

Could you please tell me where can I get the avg lap? I suppose it's stored at the Airio.sta.cr.txt file, but could you tell me what line is it in (for every record I mean). Thanks in advance and thanks for the work!
It is described here: http://www.airio.eu/Airio_AM.html#Statistics_Files, look for total average lap time and championship average lap time in STA.CR file. The value comprises in fact of two values: number of laps (e.g. 3 or 4, as you need) * 1,000,000,000 plus actual total time in centiseconds.

E.g. 4000028784 means the measurement was used for 4 laps average and the time for the 4 laps was 287.84 seconds, or 4:47.84. Average lap time is therefore 1:11.96.
I noticed with 2.3.5d the !ranks command no longer showed any info. Figured it was a config error. But i have just updated to 2.3.6a and still, no info when using !ranks.

!rts and !lcs both do work, but not !rks.

any ideas?
Hmmm. Does it maybe show "No data...". Or is there an error in console/log? If not, please check you have LicenceRanksText defined in TCD file, because for me !rks works good, in the older version and in new as well.
Bah, got it.

The gremlins must have deleted one of the lcs names, leaving an unmatched number of ranks.....

Thanks EQ
NP! I guess there were some index errors then after !rks...
EQW, I have a suggestion. I have been racing in the IHR server lately and I can't get a good rating no matter what I do. It's always packed with people, and it seems impossible to avoid people hitting you or sometimes not hitting the guys that just formed a massacre in front of you. I think that all that is taken into account for calculating ratings, even when it's not your fault at all.

Anyway, thinking about that and how you love to code things I've thought that you could add to Airio a "clean overtake" detector. When a car overtakes another car for position, they both have similar speeds, and there's no contact between them, then Airio detects that it's a clean overtake. That could be chat-announced, logged to stats or whatever. And maybe both guys could get rating points for clean racing.

Is it even possible? Maybe there's not a sure way to detect light collisions with insim, I don't remember. I think it would be cool to have something like tha, although maybe it's a little too hard to code.
why not just ask them to reconfigure their airio slightly?
Quote from MaKaKaZo :EQW, I have a suggestion. I have been racing in the IHR server lately and I can't get a good rating no matter what I do. It's always packed with people, and it seems impossible to avoid people hitting you or sometimes not hitting the guys that just formed a massacre in front of you. I think that all that is taken into account for calculating ratings, even when it's not your fault at all.

Anyway, thinking about that and how you love to code things I've thought that you could add to Airio a "clean overtake" detector. When a car overtakes another car for position, they both have similar speeds, and there's no contact between them, then Airio detects that it's a clean overtake. That could be chat-announced, logged to stats or whatever. And maybe both guys could get rating points for clean racing.

Is it even possible? Maybe there's not a sure way to detect light collisions with insim, I don't remember. I think it would be cool to have something like tha, although maybe it's a little too hard to code.

On IHR, you get positive rating points for:
1) Completing laps
2) Completing races (75% of laps)
3) Getting Good,Great,Top laps
You get negative safety rating points for:
1) Causing a Yellow Flags
2) Swearing
3) Excessive spam

Keep in mind that the higher your rating gets, the less it increases per event. It is there to help provide cleaner racing.
As far as changing the configs, no. They are as optimal as the Team Members care to have them (and they pay for the server).
If Airio could correctly call a pass "clean", that would be a nice added feature...but for now the best thing you can do is not put yourself in a position that may effectively affect your rating.
Quote from z-ro 8 :On IHR, you get positive rating points for:
1) Completing laps
2) Completing races (75% of laps)
3) Getting Good,Great,Top laps
You get negative safety rating points for:
1) Causing a Yellow Flags
2) Swearing
3) Excessive spam

About positive points: every time that I don't complete a whole race is because someone took me out and I had too much damage to drive back to pits safely (not my fault). And getting fast laps isn't that much of an indicator of clean racing, but fast racing. A lot of fast racers will crash into you to overtake you.

About negative safety rating points. Swearing and excessive spam is OK, but causing yellow flags... a lot of times you can cause yellow flags and it won't be your fault. I dare to say that you can be a very clean racer and cause a lot of yellow flags if other agressive drivers keep hitting you and you lose control of your car. In fact, that driver who hit you will probably not cause a yellow flag himself if he doesn't lose much speed in the contact, and won't be awarded any negative points.

I think you know what I mean, I can hit people intentionally in every corner and I won't be causing any yellow flags, but they will if they end up rolling, spinning, etc. So they will get the negative rating points and I won't.

Adding all up, if someone hits you hard in the first lap of a race you will cause a yellow flag and probably you will have to retire and go to pits or spectate, thus also losing positive points because you didn't complete any laps and of course didn't complete the race. If the agressor is not kicked or banned instantly he will receive all those points (and won't receive the negative ones for the yellow flag). How is this fair?

Anyway, my post was about the possibility of implementing an overtake analyser. I think that via insim you can detect collisions that cause damage to the car, but not light collisions. If it can be done you could also add a side by side detector to it. It would detect when two cars (or more) are side by side and they don't make contact. Add side by side detection to overtake analyser and you have a very cool feature and a very nice way to determine clean and good racing.

Think of this: two cars go side by side in a straight, they have a braking contest and they take a corner close to each other without making contact and the chat announces in green "coolguy & cleanracer side by side: 3.4s; nice overtake by cleanracer". You could this too with collisions that end with one car out. The point is that people like to see their names in a chat line that says they are cool and can overtake cleanly, so they would put more effort into doing it right.

Sorry for the long post
First about the current state of safety rating: You are right that there will always be cases when you cause yellow flag not by your own fault. (This is when you are hit from behind or from the side, that you mostly cannot influence.) But the thing is the rating works pretty well on average. One caused yellow, bad luck. Another, well, also bad luck. But then yet another? And again? It doesnt look like bad luck anymore, it looks like something is wrong with you. So on average it works quite OK. Not always fair, but reasonable.

Second about clean overtake detection: There is no InSim info about car touch/collision, there is no info about car damage. Still, such a calculation could be possible using car locations, their distance, speed, etc. Unfortunately the data are not always reliable, lags play a big role here, and measuring car distance is possible and reasonable in whole meters, but not quite so in centimeters. Overall, it is nice idea, but it needs thinking to discover what conditions actually signify clean overtaking.
Quote from EQ Worry :First about the current state of safety rating: You are right that there will always be cases when you cause yellow flag not by your own fault. (This is when you are hit from behind or from the side, that you mostly cannot influence.) But the thing is the rating works pretty well on average. One caused yellow, bad luck. Another, well, also bad luck. But then yet another? And again? It doesnt look like bad luck anymore, it looks like something is wrong with you. So on average it works quite OK. Not always fair, but reasonable.

Second about clean overtake detection: There is no InSim info about car touch/collision, there is no info about car damage. Still, such a calculation could be possible using car locations, their distance, speed, etc. Unfortunately the data are not always reliable, lags play a big role here, and measuring car distance is possible and reasonable in whole meters, but not quite so in centimeters. Overall, it is nice idea, but it needs thinking to discover what conditions actually signify clean overtaking.

About yellow flags. I've always thought it's quite controversial the point that causing yellow flags is an indicator of clean/dirty racing. I could write a lot about it. In any way causing yellow flags means that you are a bad driver. Yellow flags are caused by many events, and many of them have nothing to do with being a dirty/unsafe driver. Examples: someone crashing into you, getting back to track safely after someone crashes into you, exiting pits safely when there are people passing by, braking to avoid on-track debris/hay bales/tyres/accidented cars (which is actually the right behaviour), etc.

Maybe penalty points should be given by other events, like receiving in-game penalties (DT, SG, +35, +45) and other factors.

About overtaking, I've seen your Aonio radar so I know that you can pull off that stuff My first simple idea:
  • When two cars are within a certain "overtake chance" distance (can be measured using coordinates or nodes, or maybe both of them), the insim starts tracking their relative positions.
  • When they get distant further than the overtake chance distance the insim checks if the one who was behind has passed the one who was in front (overtake), or the one in front managed to pull away.
  • There's an established "safe thresold" measured in meters. If during all the time both cars were within the overtake chance distance the cars were closer than the thresold the insim decides it was dangerous and does nothing, but if all the time they were over that limit then the insim decides it was a safe overtake.
  • Additional checks of nodes the cars are in, relative difference of speed, and direction the cars are facing might be necessary.
Is it possible to increase the "stay-alive-time" for each player on http://stats.airio.eu/EXP.aspx ..?

The more drivers the better... It´s nearly impossible to build up some "!ex-rules" from scratch with such few drivers...
Hmm we have the strange problem that all typed commands are shown although I hid them in the config... That spams our chat

Any clue how to solve that?
@ mAkAkAzO: yes very valid points, and in a perfect world an insim that could do all those things would probably solve alot of confrontations in servers and on forums....
My reply was to simply explain the way it is currently set at IHR. Is it ideal? No. But it is set according to how the server owners want it, within the available options in the insim....
Quote from VoiD :Is it possible to increase the "stay-alive-time" for each player on http://stats.airio.eu/EXP.aspx ..?

Currently the data are help only in memory and that means almost all code updates and other ASP.NET restarts erase the table and new one is built. When I find some free time I'd like to store the gathered info into a database table so that it is persistent, but I do not know when this will be.

Quote from Crady :Hmm we have the strange problem that all typed commands are shown although I hid them in the config... That spams our chat

When adding new GUI config options and merging some buttons I ran into difficulties with the option to hide all commands. In the rush to have 2.3.6 out I've decided to discard the possibility on server level. This is mentioned in the changelog. However, everyone can hide the commands himself by deactivating Typed commands (or just Commands) option in the !opt screen. Of course if you really really need the option, I may try to take a second look at the matter. But my intention was rather to allow complete default config for each new driver, where admins could set what is and what is not by default shown, with people free to adjust the settings later.

@ MaKaKaZo I'll keep the points in mind and do some experiments in time.
Quote from EQ Worry :Currently the data are help only in memory and that means almost all code updates and other ASP.NET restarts erase the table and new one is built....

Don´t get me wrong, I love the new !ex-feature. But atm it´s a pain in the arse to get those stats "working" for a public-server.

Hmmm...What about re/down-designing the !ex-page...?

TBH I´m not interested in some fancy "http://stats.airio.eu/EXP.aspx?F=n"...please keep it simple!
Just like http://www.airio.eu/Servers.aspx for example. One page for all necessary info´s... All info on one page, easy to backup/download on a daily basis...
is there any chance to make sanctions with any command in airio?

stop and go, or anything like that?

regards
Another suggestion totally unrelated to the previous one. It could be useful to add a race position indicator relative to your car class. When there are several classes of cars in a race add something that tells you your position based only on cars of your same class. This way you can easily know where you stand within the TBO class for example, not taking slower or faster cars intro consideration.

I'll stop flooding with suggestions for some days now
Quote from Neto_r :is there any chance to make sanctions with any command in airio?

stop and go, or anything like that?

regards

if you mean you want to issue a penalty such as SG, DT,etc....type !pl, then click the ACT button next to the correct name, and type in what penalty you want.

Quote :s : "!spec " (/spec)
p : "!pit " (/pitlane)
3 : "!pen 30 " (/p_30)
4 : "!pen 45 " (/p_45)
d : "!pen dt " (/p_dt)
g : "!pen sg " (/p_sg)
c : "!pen cl " (/p_clear)
i: "!pi " (player info)
u : "!unban " (/unban)

Quote from MaKaKaZo :...a race position indicator relative to your car class...

Whats next..? A bloody autopilot??? The car infront/behind is the car infront/behind, no matter of what class...

We have a ridiculous Aonio-radar, a pitspotter, fuel warning, gauges, silly views etc... maybe you should play a slighty different game...?!
Quote from z-ro 8 :if you mean you want to issue a penalty such as SG, DT,etc....type !pl, then click the ACT button next to the correct name, and type in what penalty you want.

yes, penalty, like 30segs, etc, etc

awesome

i try that

thanks a lot!
Quote from EQ Worry :where admins could set what is and what is not by default shown, with people free to adjust the settings later.

Good, but is that already available?

And if so, where can I set the defaults?

AIRIO - Advanced LFS Tracker
(2384 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG