The online racing simulator
Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
They seem to think that making games look better changes the actual way the game plays.

As if LFS would be any different with dx9 or 10 apart from better graphics...
Quote from Chrisuu01 :bullshit

Go play Quake 1 or something.

If you prefer worse graphics, then sorry to say that but you are dummy.
There are alot of people who buy games just because they look better than some other game
Yeah, that's pretty smart decision. Playing game which looks like tetris is dumb.

Quote from Chrisuu01 :They seem to think that making games look better changes the actual way the game plays.

As if LFS would be any different with dx9 or 10 apart from better graphics...

Don't lie. You know it's true, you rather play LFS like how it is now, then LFS that looks like pacman.
So you're saying that console games look like tetris compared to PC games? PC games do look better but the difference at the moment isn't that huge. Especially looking at the game we are supposed to be talking about in this thread. The point I was making in the first place was that this game will probably be just the same as it has been on the console for the last few months only with a higher possible resolution. I can't see how this makes the console version rubbish just because isn't capable of dx11.

If they used amazingly better textures or something in the PC version then I could understand but it all looks the same to me.
Quote from Velociround :It already does, some of the features of the game have been totally remade for DirectX11 and are not available at all on the consoles. Mainly graphics. And they do look awesome! (much more than on the consoles)

Anyway, this game is a must-buy! I'm definitely going to purchase it when it comes out for PC. And I'm just waiting until nVidia friggin' finally releases a DirectX11 graphics card!

Don't tell me we have to upgrade our gfx every time a new DX comes out...
dammit, and I just got this 275 gtx 3 months ago.
Quote from Gills4life :*snip*

max aa/af can make a huge difference, fairly sure all the ultra settings will make quite a difference aswell

Just ran the demo, looks fantastic, shame about arcade, but same as always with codies
Quote from DejaVu :Just ran the demo, looks fantastic, shame about arcade, but same as always with codies

If it would be very realistic simulator, nobody would buy it because of "friend told me handling is shit".
Quote from DejaVu :max aa/af can make a huge difference, fairly sure all the ultra settings will make quite a difference aswell

Just ran the demo, looks fantastic, shame about arcade, but same as always with codies

Point taken. It's just that they do not look that radically different from my point of view. The game is still the same, it's just taken longer to come out on PC so a lot of people already know what it is like and have probably completed it. I always agreed that PC games looked the better, it's just that I don't think it's that much to say consoles are pointless. I don't understand why Shadowww tries to argue. He isn't going to make me throw my PS3 away. I have both and enjoy using both. Consoles are very practical to a lot of people, especially those that cannot afford to buy a high-end gaming rig or afford to pay for the latest components every month or 2.

It is a shame that codies insist on making their games arcade-ish, however I thought Dirt 2 was excellent despite it being quite unrealistic. Atleast the car handling is fun and not ridiculous like it was in the original Dirt. I still play it sometimes. Completed singleplayer, but online rallies are great fun!

Quote from Shadowww :If it would be very realistic simulator, nobody would buy it because of "friend told me handling is shit".

Plenty of people have purchased LFS...
Quote from Gills4life :Sure PC games will always look the best. I would never disagree with that. Dirt2 will look better on the PC because you can have higher resolutions and better Anti-Aliasing. They still look similar though, and Dirt2 for the PC seems to be the same game that we have been playing on consoles now for a couple of months already. Hopefully it has something extra. If you want to compare irrelevant screenshots, then I shall join in.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com ... 8x627/2008/04/WICSA_1.jpg

What is your point?

Irrelevant? Have you looked at the pic? Take a look at the console part: it is just hideous. There are absolutely no trees, no vegetation and no details at all in the horizon. It is just a low resolution texture fixed to the low resolution and low polygon terrain, whereas in the PC there is a whole forest in there, filled with trees, vegetation, rocks and so on.
The console version has got a huge amount of contrast added to make up the lack of proper shadowing system and the low-resolution-and-not-real-time shadows. The textures are of much lower quality than on PC, it runs worse in some parts (slower and laggy) and is definitely not an improvement over the PC game. That's my point.

But, well, about your pic. Yes, yours is totally useless and irrelevant since there's absolutely nothing you can compare by viewing the pics.

Quote from Gills4life :PC games do look better but the difference at the moment isn't that huge

Look again at Crysis comparison pic and video.

The differences between PC and Console graphics are mainly:

- View and draw distance (much, much higher on the PC)
- Texture resolution (higher on pc)
- Screen resolution (higher on pc)
- Shadowing system (pc allows much more effects)
- Antialiasing (most console games seem to totally lack it)
- Shaders and post processing (it is totally impossible to use some effects on the consoles, such as the ones DiRT 2 (which is ontopic) and other games use for PC)

Crysis is the perfect example that consoles just can't handle most PC graphics/effects, that's why I brought it up.

Quote from squidhead :Don't tell me we have to upgrade our gfx every time a new DX comes out...
dammit, and I just got this 275 gtx 3 months ago.

We do

I mean, we can already use some of the DX11 effects with our DX10 cards, but there are some effects that are only available in DX11, such as Post Process in DiRT2. It is not possible to enable anything higher than "medium" for post process in DiRT2 without a DX11 compliant card. However, everything else can just be set as Ultra just normally (it'll use more CPU though). We can, for instance, take advantage of those awesome looking real-time-modeled 3D filled-with-plenty-of-polygons water and clothes effects without a having DX11 card.
Interesting note in the demo readme

"
Motion Platforms
If your system has a motion platform, then DiRT 2 should be able to control it. This feature is completely untested beyond checking that the basic data output is correct, and as such should be used entirely at your own risk. The output format is designed to be compatible with the "Live for Speed" outsim motion platform format..."
Not quite, If I'm not Mistaken RaceDriver whatever also supported Outsim as well.
Quote from Gills4life :Point taken. It's just that they do not look that radically different from my point of view. The game is still the same, it's just taken longer to come out on PC so a lot of people already know what it is like and have probably completed it.

It's like saying you have played CS: Source when you have played CS 1.6. It's not same game. Physics are different too by the way.
Quote from Gills4life :Plenty of people have purchased LFS...

Yeah, but 9000 times more people have purchased NFS: Shift.
Quote from Velociround :We do

I mean, we can already use some of the DX11 effects with our DX10 cards, but there are some effects that are only available in DX11, such as Post Process in DiRT2. It is not possible to enable anything higher than "medium" for post process in DiRT2 without a DX11 compliant card. However, everything else can just be set as Ultra just normally (it'll use more CPU though). We can, for instance, take advantage of those awesome looking real-time-modeled 3D filled-with-plenty-of-polygons water and clothes effects without a having DX11 card.

Well, I should have know that keeping up an up to date PC would take its toll on my budget, but Im guessing a 275 will have to suffice for now, Im fairly confident my rig will do just fine running Dirt2.

EDIT : Ooooh no.. no no no... please no... god.... noooooooo.... VALVE MODIFIED SOURCE FOR HL2 EP3, I WON'T BE GETTING THE FULL DX11 EFFECTS! (crying)
Haha. That would be great.
Allright, just ran the demo of CMR D2... must say ... YAY, FINALLY SOME SLIDING INVOLVED! Dirt was so frustrating with it's physics.
graphics are just awesome, you don't notice it at first it just starts to work it's way up to your brain slowly when you notice all the small details (not to mention the big picture ofcourse)
For some reason my PC doesn't like it when I set water to ultra, it runs great Im just experiencing a frame freeze for like half a second every time im about to hit a puddle (although it could be because I had some stuff running in the background).
The DX10 version will suffice for me, CMR D2 is definetly going to be a fun game.

On a side note - soundtrack is just amazing, it's like they took my winamp playlist and shoved it into the game! I can sing along And so what if I heard most those songs in other games, or tv shows, i don't care much.

I just hope they still put the pikes peak and Group B rally cars in.

and once again about the graphics - somebody here said that "no game on PC shows a picture similar to GT5, well its all in colour correction which makes GT5 look more photo realistic, cause I do believe that CMRD2 would give it a run for it's money in terms of eye candy
Quote from squidhead :"no game on PC shows a picture similar to GT5

I know someone else said that but most pc gamesdo actually look that good when u play them, they don't need "photo" modes that allow the detail - it's there and live while you play.

There are countless games on pc that put gt5 to shame graphically.

Hell even CS Source maxxed out looks more realistic in my opinion and that's ancient now.
Quote from DejaVu :
Hell even CS Source maxxed out looks more realistic in my opinion and that's ancient now.

Oh absolutely!!!
CSS
GT5

Should have gone to specsavers.
Quote from Gills4life :Oh absolutely!!!
CSS
GT5

Should have gone to specsavers.

I have specsavers glasses and somehow you piked the wrong Gt screenie since that looks bad for Gt5 standards .
There is a full gameplay with menus I like it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTESeyRkykc

btw. I have a Radeon HD4850, so it`s DirectX 10... anyone has a DirectX 11 video card and sees any remarcable diference?
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I have specsavers glasses and somehow you piked the wrong Gt screenie since that looks bad for Gt5 standarts

It still looks better than CSS, that's all I needed to prove!!
Quote from Gills4life :It still looks better than CSS, that's all I needed to prove!!

Then you have made your point sir

Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG