The online racing simulator
Test Patch Z20 (online compatible)
(252 posts, closed, started )
Great job on z20 , love it
Quote from Shadowww :... it CAN'T be just because he has custom textures. For example, he has messed chat and virtual clocks. Those textures are hard-coded into LFS.exe.

Yes it can be. The texture add-on packs often use extremely high texture resolutions, which are impractical for use in real time graphics unless you have a graphics card with a lot of memory. People should not just install these things without considering how much memory they require and how much RAM their graphics card has.

I don't really know the reasons for this but when the graphics card runs out of memory, sometimes the textures seem to get all swapped around.

It's a very simple test to find out if the high resolution texture it to blame - try on a fresh install of LFS and see if the same thing happens. Or a quicker test (which takes about 5 seconds) is to simple select "low res" textures in graphics options (before loading the track). This option uses half resolution textures which take up a quarter of the amount of memory... probably proving that high resolution textures are causing the problem.

Quote from The Very End :So how do it work, and what effect has it on the performance on the engine? I am not a car engineer, so I have no clue what the oil pressure's task is to do in an egine on how it would affect it. (Alltho I understand that without oil in the engine your screwed, but I don't see how the pressure plays an role or how it works in LFS).

Oil pressure is not modelled and does not affect the engine. But the real RAC and some real LX type cars have an oil pressure gauge (but no time clock) so I thought it was better to have an oil pressure gauge there.

Oil pressure is related to engine revs, not directly. With increasing RPM, the pressure goes up rapidly at first then a valve opens so the pressure does not build too high, then the pressure rises more gradually from that point. You can search on YouTube for oil pressure gauge to see some real ones working. I don't claim the LFS ones are perfect but they do behave something like real ones.
Quote from Scawen :Oil pressure is not modelled and does not affect the engine. But the real RAC and some real LX type cars have an oil pressure gauge (but no time clock) so I thought it was better to have an oil pressure gauge there.

Oil pressure is related to engine revs, not directly. With increasing RPM, the pressure goes up rapidly at first then a valve opens so the pressure does not build too high, then the pressure rises more gradually from that point. You can search on YouTube for oil pressure gauge to see some real ones working. I don't claim the LFS ones are perfect but they do behave something like real ones.

Yep, just how the factory Oil press gauge in my MR2 works. Idle it sits at halfway, during normal driving, usually between 1/2 and 3/4, 3/4 is the max it will reach (unless something goes wrong) If you have low oil pressure, it essentially means you are starving the motor of oil, it will cause heat in bearings and moving parts, and you will break something.
Thanks for the clarification
Quote from Scawen :Yes it can be. The texture add-on packs often use extremely high texture resolutions, which are impractical for use in real time graphics unless you have a graphics card with a lot of memory. People should not just install these things without considering how much memory they require and how much RAM their graphics card has.

I don't really know the reasons for this but when the graphics card runs out of memory, sometimes the textures seem to get all swapped around.

Yeah but he has 512MB graphics card, and mine LFS uses only ~100MB of VideoRAM with all those fancy textures.
Quote from Shadowww :Yeah but he has 512MB graphics card, and mine LFS uses only ~100MB of VideoRAM with all those fancy textures.

Is that hard to do a fresh install?
None of the people which have tried Z20 out experienced such problems so i GUESS it must be his system going nuts.
THE END.
The whole point of "testing" something is to try and work out what's causing any problems. Just because a graphics card is powerful doesn't mean it can't have issues. You work out what it isn't so that you then know what it is.
-
Clutch bug (emit-nl) DELETED by emit-nl
Congratulations, you just found out how transmissions work

(It's not a bug)
Quote from IlGuercio :Is that hard to do a fresh install?

It's hard to reinstall hundreds of texture packs after doing a fresh install and finding out it's not texture pack's fault.
Quote from Shadowww :It's hard to reinstall hundreds of texture packs after doing a fresh install and finding out it's not texture pack's fault.

Wait, what?

Is it _oh so hard_ to extract LFS_Z.zip + Z20.zip to a new location and take a look?

WTF are you on about...

Or you can backup your DDS folder and voila... damn hard work, it should be paid with benefits and big Xmas bonus.
IQ is for loosers
Quote from Shadowww :It's hard to reinstall hundreds of texture packs after doing a fresh install and finding out it's not texture pack's fault.

Leave your old install exactly were it is, don't touch it. Install a fresh version of LFS in a new folder (e.g. \LFS Test\) run LFS Z20 without any non standard textures or add on's applied from that folder and see if you still have the problem.

If it runs ok from the new folder then it is likely that add on's have caused you problems and you will need to investigate further on your own which add on has caused the problem.

If on the other hand you still have glitches when running LFS from a fresh install it means it is likely to be a bug in LFS and or your system that warrants further investigation by Scawen and other testers. In which case a solution is likely to be found to fix your current LFS install without you needing to add all those add on's again.

If you can't/will not install LFS in a new folder and try then we (including Scawen) are all going to be just guessing what the problem might be and it is very likely you will not find any answers to you problem.

If you are not prepared to help with this process you should not be applying test patches or at the very least applying a test patch to a copy of your LFS folder rather than your actual LFS folder, which is what we all should be doing when we 'test' a test patch
Quote from AndroidXP :Congratulations, you just found out how transmissions work

(It's not a bug)

Lol! "If you can't find it, Grind it"
No point having teeth if you don't brush them.
-
(SpikeyMarcoD) DELETED by SpikeyMarcoD
Once when z version was relesed same happens it was total clean instal no skins no nothing and still same happened
Sorry, but i think is a mistake remove complety the "Shift up" red dot, so sudenly...
Quote from Inouva :Sorry, but i think is a mistake remove complety the "Shift up" red dot, so sudenly...

Agreed, rules are OK, but options are always better.
Quote from MudPuppy :Agreed, rules are OK, but options are always better.

But what about realism? It's a simulator.
Quote from Flame CZE :But what about realism? It's a simulator.

Having an option would not remove that, that's why options are, more often than not, better.

As for the sim versus game debate, this is most probably not the place to get all playground about it I don't think.
how about describing what the problem is with it? or are we just supposed to guess? Also state how to replicate, if you have found it car/track specific. Thanks.
is LFS freezing for you to?
Just wanted to post about a recent issue I have since Z17. If I leave LFS running for an hour or so in the background, eg.. do some forum reading etc. and come back to LFS it often freezes up (both CPU's at 50%) for a long period of time. Like 1-2 minutes then . At first I thought it was my new GPU (HD4890 1gb), so I went back to the Z15.exe and it never happened.

It usually happens when in 3D mode, ie, the Race select screen or in game, not so on the server list or main menu. I only use shift-F4 to switch to windows in case you're wondering.

IDK, there's a lot of variables and it's hard to reproduce and does not appear in systems crash logs. Sometimes after waiting an hour it doesn't happen and sometimes only after 5 minutes of LFS being out of focus, yet the freeze length is shorter, but it does happen everyday so it's getting frustrating. I'll try a fesh install of Z20, but just really asking if anyone else is experiencing this phenomena since the new multi-screen functionality has been introduced.

system: e8400, 4GB, HD4890 oc 1gb, Win XP pro sp3, 1920x1080x60hz
Quote from Shadowww :Something is wrong with autoclutch :s

Hardly Z20 related, is it? Just a random glitch of the autoclutch not working perfectly. There's probably also still the glitch of cars with sequential gearboxes refusing to shift with certain gearings or intake restriction
Quote from Inouva :Sorry, but i think is a mistake remove complety the "Shift up" red dot, so sudenly...

I think it was a wonderful idea. Really. My car doesn't have a "shift up" indicator. And I suppose LFS road cars (apart from RAC) shouldn't have too.

Also, remember:
Quote from http://www.lfs.net/?page=agreement :1.4 You must be aware that we can alter any aspect of LFS as we see fit. Improvements, fixes and/or changes made to the game, are to be expected.

You can always go back to an earlier patch en write down those shifting points (maybe someone already did). Learn to recognize the sound the engine makes at those speeds as you should IRL.

BTW, I tried XFG in Z20: I-LUUUUVVVV-THAT-DASHBOARD! Looks just like the real deal! Except for the gear indicator ofcourse. (which, I hope, will stay for a while since I don't have an H-shifter.)
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z20 (online compatible)
(252 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG