The online racing simulator
Mouse For Speed
(274 posts, started )
@Velociround: Great post. LFS is made simple and versatile, hence all the languages it can be translated, all the device it can comunicate, and Scawen's pursuit of a stable sim on ANY OS.

@PjFerreira: Well, i can't really say much about it, i've never run a trackday, the nearest i got to real racing was some kart (RD 135) racing i did with some friends. I think i meant racing that,You're pushing whatever 4 wheeled vehicle to it's limits, despise it's specs.
But damn, more than R$1000 for a day... may be worth, but not at the moment for me
Sorry.. i get your name wrong in the last post.. already fixed...

I think that if you can spend... the experience worth it... and even being at this price it's pretty less then a wheel. Weeks ago i saw a logitech G25 for about R$1900 (~800 USD) in a Shopping here in Juiz de Fora (MG)...

If i had this much of money i would fix my car and buy a decent graphics card...
You can buy G25 for much less than that. There are right places...

I bought at Americanas.com many time ago for R$1.200,00, but I know many that payed around R$800,00, but it is still a big price for many people.
Mercado Livre sells it for 1000~, Six months ago i was about to buy one =/
But i think ill start low, maybe with the DFP. Or i can wait for the G25 prices to go down, since they released the G27, and it is only 10% better (six buttons but no more sequentian shifter... What they had in mind??)
Hey, Soro. Mouse steering is much less unrealistic than lack of transmission simulation (iRacing) or being able to enable any aids in any car (rFactor).
Quote from Calvinaquino :Mercado Livre sells it for 1000~, Six months ago i was about to buy one =/
But i think ill start low, maybe with the DFP. Or i can wait for the G25 prices to go down, since they released the G27, and it is only 10% better (six buttons but no more sequentian shifter... What they had in mind??)

There's a guy on LFSBR selling it for BRL $849 (USD $468, EUR $320), you could check it out, maybe you can get one:
http://www.lfsbr.com/modules/smf/index.php?topic=8296.0

It costs quite a bunch less if you go to Paraguay and purchase it there, but this guy's asking for R$849 since he goes there to purchase the wheel and brings to Brazil, so he gets a percentage for him over the initial price.

Quote from Speed Soro :and you call me a troll... kid kid,

I have my opinion formed: mouse sux, period. see you around

Yeah, it really seems you've not read my post. Since it seems you ain't going to read it anyway, I'll tell you: I wasn't talking about mouse, but about all controllers separately. And I don't care about your opinion, nor were I trying to change it.

Stop talking about things you don't know about. You, with your total lack of knowledge or caring about giving the right information, said iRacing doesn't allow any controller other than a steering wheel, just to be be laughed at and to be shown there are people who play it with a PS3 controller or joypad. Then again, you, who had previously said iRacing only allows a steering wheel as a controller, started saying iRacing doesn't allow any steering aids for gamepads, "unlike LFS". Information of which you also don't know and you have even SAID you don't know and don't care about what you are saying. And you end it all up calling me a kid...

Now tell me, who's tolling? uh?

Quote from boothy :
Quote from Speed Soro :iRacing has no other option but wheel

Haha, sorry to break it to you but I played iRicing with a joypad

Quote from Speed Soro :Not the simulation, but the immersion. I don't know, and I don't want to know, but I guess iRacing gives not the same "help" to "ps3-controller" drivers, so them will be not confortable with it, different from LFS, and that is the focus of the thread. Read again the first post please.

A good mouse control is a good programming feature, no discussion. But is it good for the simulation idea, that is the focus of the game? I dont think so.

Quote from tiagolapa :I agree with you 100% and sorry for me assuming you want to remove mouse support. We really need some option to set wheel only servers.
Driving with anything other than wheel will never be a "realistic" experience. Take care

i want that too
Quote from BOSCHO :i want that too

you can do that via insim

(gampads will still be allowed anyways )
Even insim can be fooled - you can set LFS as wheel controlled and still use buttons for pedals and mouse for steering.
I used to do that in my CTRA/mouser times to avoid discrimination

I enjoy LFS much more with the G25, but that was not easy to get home...
Mouse or Wheel
Sorry to intrude on this conversation, but I think everyone has the right to play (or run) in the LFS the way you want, with keyboard, mouse or wheel and we must respect the runners and their decisions, this is called "democracy" and " freedom, "has many good drivers racing with the mouse, everything in life we learn with time and practice, making mistakes is one who makes no mistakes is that does not run or not run, now you are criticizing should just go play Need For Speed or other little game, not playing a simulator of respect as the LFS or create a private server and be playing alone oh yeah maybe learn to have respect for other runners LFS, stop this crap and work on something more useful, as it skins, pic, background, addons for the simulator, follow the example of "LYNCE" which is to be congratulated by the example that has us giving. If you do not have anything useful to say or post on the Forum, do not write anything.

"Silence is golden"
Thanks for the tip of the guy at lfsbr... but this is still a lot of money (and think that has no warranty... ok... it could have, but go all the way to paraguay to make use of it if needed sux.. =P)
I can drive either mouse or wheel, and I find pedals+mouse causes more fatigue then using the wheel... because when I press down on pedals I have to use my stomach muscles alot more to keep myself from moving(mainly for the brake pedal and maybe my chair just sucks).

I do get better times with mouse+pedals because with the wheel I tend to slide alot more no matter how much I try to avoid it.
Quote from ryans187 :when I press down on pedals I have to use my stomach muscles alot more to keep myself from moving

Now that's what I call exercising on the computer!
Quote from ryans187 :I can drive either mouse or wheel, and I find pedals+mouse causes more fatigue then using the wheel... because when I press down on pedals I have to use my stomach muscles alot more to keep myself from moving(mainly for the brake pedal and maybe my chair just sucks).

I do get better times with mouse+pedals because with the wheel I tend to slide alot more no matter how much I try to avoid it.

Steering wheel and pedals = ok
Mouse and keyboard = ok
Mouse and pedals = wtf???
Quote from Speed Soro :Mouse and pedals = wtf???

Try it, its quite fun and you can be really fast with that set up!
Mouse and pedals sounds okay to me - three analogue inputs is surely better than mouse and keyboard, no?
But as ryan's said, how will u stablize your body while using pedals without wheel, it feels weird
Quote from rageshgr :But as ryan's said, how will u stablize your body while using pedals without wheel, it feels weird

not for me, i just drive it like i do normally...

heavy on the gas light on the brakes and be as aggressive as possible without crashing.

i'd only use pedals when they let me brake later and more progressively then keyboard does... but even that .1 of a second isn't really worth the hassle imho.
Ok, but I can't see any point on doing this (mouse + pedals). Worst than that just this:

Attached images
0618-kinect-sony-microsoft-gesture-control_full_600.jpg
Quote from Speed Soro :Mouse and pedals = wtf???

It fulfills the shortcoming of driving with mouse (no analog input for braking and throttling) and still lets the user drive with mouse.
Another option is assign Y axis of mouse to throttle and brake. Hence you will have four direction of mouse motion control. But it is crazy difficult. There are some people who do it but don't know how they pull it off
Like others have said to the OP, if you're getting beat by mouse users, it means you should keep working on your driving skills.

I've got a G25 myself, but I haven't used it in over a year.

I play LFS pretty casually, maybe 5-20 minutes per day, sometimes per month. Mostly offline. So when I feel like firing it up for a few minutes and doing a few laps, using the mouse is the most hassle-free solution. I don't wanna get the G25 out of its box, set it up (takes like 10 minutes), make my computer unusable for anything except driving games cuz there's no room to move the G25 to the side...

Bottom line is, they're just different input methods. What matters is the person controlling them.

Quote from rageshgr :Another option is assign Y axis of mouse to throttle and brake. Hence you will have four direction of mouse motion control. But it is crazy difficult. There are some people who do it but don't know how they pull it off

This is what I do. I dunno, after years of doing it, it feels like second nature. The only thing I miss is not having an analog clutch.

tl;dr: The main reason I use the mouse is because that's what my computer has attached to it 99% of the time. My G25 is usually sitting in the box. I mostly use this computer for doing work, and play games very casually.
It's a myth, you can't control throttle and brakes that much with mouse... Does give you pretty unfair disadvantage. I myself started with mouse and when I got my first wheel I improved when braking so I could brake much much later as well as using throttle sooner and sooner. I don't think you actually control "sliding" around corners with mouse, it's all about luck, however with a steering wheel you actually know what you want to do, how you want to do it and you just do it. At least that's how it worked for me...
I was driving mouse for 2 years mainly in fbm. IMO I got used to mouse very well and it was very hard to spun with mouse.
Then I bought wheel and it took me few months to really get into it. Now I still feel like I could go faster with mouse with few cars on some tracks but in overall I am driving more carefully and enjoying it more. Mouse was great, alot better than KB/Kn but wheel is wheel.

I think in some low powered classes mouse can be an advantage. But in GTRS some ss's you cant beat wheel drivers. Maybe with pedals but I am not sure as I cant imagine the position while playing that way.

Mouse For Speed
(274 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG