The online racing simulator
Mouse For Speed
(274 posts, started )
#226 - Woz
What is the issue with mouse?

The KB system of old was killed because of the aids it had. Mouse control on the other hand has no aids.
I would really like if people that don't like mouse drivers donate me one wheel...
I just have to stop eating for 6 months to get money to buy a wheel...

So thinking before talking is a great thing to do...

For my country mate (in my bad english) if you don't like anymore LFS and have a car you can take it to a track day... it will cost something like 800 reais (think its almost 400 US dollars) to 8 hours of the most close thing to a perfect RancingSim that you will see...

This price is for Oktane Track Day in Rio de Janeiro (Jacarepagua).
Don't you mean, 400 USD to Really race? =D
Interlagos is more than that right?

And yea, Mouse has no aids, and still we have to be ultra tripple carefull with the pedals...
Quote from Speed Soro :trollingtrollingtrollingtrolling[...]

What about we make a deal?
You give up LFS, go away from this forum since you hate everything so much and then give me your steering wheel because you won't play LFS anymore, so you'll sleep well knowing there's one less mouse user in the world, I'll be happy to play with a wheel and everyone else will be happy too!
Quote from Calvinaquino :So in a motorcycle sim (like GP Bikes) who can afford, drive with a 360 controller. That means it's not a sim? or realistic? BAN THE CONTROLLER USERS! i would like to see a small and realistic bike controller.

LFS is not perfect. Crash physics, the tire physics. and some other things.
Well i guess if you're looking for the perfect simulator, well why don't just buy a car and go drive somewhere? there aren't mouse drivers there. Some people drive with mouse not because they like, but because the can't afford/use a wheel at that time. You can bet that soon enough ill buy my DFP, and yes i'd rather drive LFS with a wheel than with a mouse...
Whell, why don't you create your own sim racing game and do better? Ban the mouse users!
Hell why do i even bother, you're just another annoying person.

I got a car, I go kart some times, and I play other sims. We are discussing mouse or not here, and my opinion is simple: not. A real good and serious sim (like announced in the first mainly page on www.lfs.net) shouldn't permit mouse steering, gas and brake.
Quote from Velociround :What about we make a deal?
You give up LFS, go away from this forum since you hate everything so much and then give me your steering wheel because you won't play LFS anymore, so you'll sleep well knowing there's one less mouse user in the world, I'll be happy to play with a wheel and everyone else will be happy too!

I don't hate everything, in fact I don't hate anything from LFS. I just hate people like that cannot keep the discussion in the thread trails. You, as always...
Guys don't argue over it . If he doesn't like the fact that a person can use mouse in LFS then it is HIS problem , and only HIS. Even if it's not a "serious sim"... it's still one of the best .
Edit.: Oh, and don't worry couse there always will be mouse support, Scawen wouldn't resign from 60%(just a guess ) of his users .
Yeah I'd rather have a wheel too but I clearly can't afford one therefore I can't, I still need to purchase LFS, which I still plan on .
Quote from Speed Soro :I got a car, I go kart some times, and I play other sims. We are discussing mouse or not here, and my opinion is simple: not. A real good and serious sim (like announced in the first mainly page on www.lfs.net) shouldn't permit mouse steering, gas and brake.

Hi mate.
I understand your point. But I don't think Scawen should remove mouse support. Mouse is good to quick test the SIM and some users cant afford a wheel.
Maybe mouse is faster with some cars, but it needs good skills.
I started playing LFS with mouse until I got my first wheel. In those days LFS was great for me because having mouse support while others games didn't. But since I got my wheel, playing with mouse is simply not an option.

I doubt Scawen goes the hardcore way because a lot of people still uses mouse, but if he goes I have nothing to complain

Amazingly netkar pro also supports mouse and keyboard since last beta (I think) and its not hard to find a mouse to joystick converter to play SIMs without mouse support.

In the end, mouse don't kill my experience in this simulator. Only kills whoever uses it, and I don't care for them
Actualy it doesn't matter for me if there is or not mouse support, once I have play no more LFS for months.

Once I ask Scawen for host option to define the controllers permited. That would be a form to avoid mouse racers in a specific championship.

As said, that is just MY opinion, and LFS will change nothing due that.

Anyway, I won't change my point of view. I think that realistic simulation has nothing with the type of controler you use, but it is all about the simulation itself. What I can't stand is how is possible to call it a real drive experience using mouse, keyboard or any other kind of controller but wheel.

I used to play with kb and joystick for years before start using a wheel. My first wheel was a yellow logitech. My second was a momo, and my third and still in use is a g25.

Not everybody can buy a wheel, or even is interested in buy one just to test some game. I don't think it is crime to support mouse and kb.

But at least it could have some option to set servers. Anyway iRacing has no other option but wheel, and it has its public, without kb&mouse requests, what proves that it is possible to close the options and still build a great community around the game.

LFS community grew up around its features and it should not be changed. The fact that I don't agree with something, doesn't mean that I want to change it.
Quote from Speed Soro :Once I ask Scawen for host option to define the controllers permited. That would be a form to avoid mouse racers in a specific championship.

That would be a waste of time for Scawen to code in, since you can already do exactly that with InSim.
I agree with you 100% and sorry for me assuming you want to remove mouse support. We really need some option to set wheel only servers.
Driving with anything other than wheel will never be a "realistic" experience. Take care
Quote from Speed Soro :Anyway iRacing has no other option but wheel, and it has its public, without kb&mouse requests, what proves that it is possible to close the options and still build a great community around the game.

Haha, sorry to break it to you but I played iRicing with a joypad
Don't you have a wheel?
Nope, PS3 controller for me at the moment...
Ops! There goes the realism!
It's funny. The devs created a control mechanism that's so well executed it's pissing people off.
(Oh, I beg the devs, please don't claim a patten to your mouse controller software, it should be in all racing games.)
Quote from Calvinaquino :Ops! There goes the realism!

Not the simulation, but the immersion. I don't know, and I don't want to know, but I guess iRacing gives not the same "help" to "ps3-controller" drivers, so them will be not confortable with it, different from LFS, and that is the focus of the thread. Read again the first post please.

A good mouse control is a good programming feature, no discussion. But is it good for the simulation idea, that is the focus of the game? I dont think so.
Quote from Speed Soro :Not the simulation, but the immersion.

He said realism. But who cares about that anyway, it's up for the person who is playing the game if he wants a "bigger immersion" because HE is playing it, not anyone else, and the only thing he can change is his own experience with the simulator. Besides, even for one to decide what he wants, it depends on several factors, such as having enough money to purchase a wheel, having it available to purchase on a store he can get it from, personal preference or option for different/specific controllers, time for playing, and even if he actually cares about that much immersion or if he just wants to play it on his free time and enjoy with his friends. It's not like LFS is a job anyway. Indeed, it's a great simulator, but you can't remove the controller options from the game, and even iRacing allows you to drive with gamepad. So, what are you going to do? Go shout at the iRacing devs because they allow people to drive with joysticks in their game? Start moaning on the forums?

Quote from Speed Soro :I don't know, and I don't want to know, but I guess iRacing gives not the same "help" to "ps3-controller" drivers, so them will be not confortable with it, different from LFS, and that is the focus of the thread. Read again the first post please.

That's your guess. I don't know about iRacing, but Joysticks and Gamepads have no steering aids in LFS I am aware of, I have several of them and in my opinion they are much more difficult to control than mouse, mainly because of the tiny amount you turn in the gamepad and proportionally the steering wheel in the game turns a lot. The steering aid the keyboard had in the pre-S1 days was so efficient it was impossible to lose the control of the car on the track, but that was fixed as soon as the devs noticed it and it's been lowered a few times since then. Nowadays it might be so inefficient that the AIs (which seem to use the same current "aid" of the keyboard) might not regain control of the car once lost and keep spinning side-to-side on the track. And that aid is only available for keyboard, people who play on the keyboard have the option to disable it, and you can just ignore it and leave people who want to drive with it alone.

Besides, since you just don't know anything about it and said you don't care about it anyway (so why are you still discussing it here?), you may be wrong, and iRacing may have a steering aid for gamepad users, as much as it might not.

Quote from Speed Soro :A good mouse control is a good programming feature, no discussion.

No, it's a good skill. The car isn't going to drive itself, there is no driving aid on the mouse, and the only thing the game does is to receive the position information of the mouse on the screen and reproduce it on the steering wheel exactly as the information was received. Nothing else. There's no such thing as a driving aid for mouse. There's no such thing as "programming feature" or anything else that controls your mouse and makes you drive perfectly. It's pure skill. If someone drives well with mouse, he does that because he's GOOD at it, not because there's a "programming feature" helping him. By the way, the current WR holder of the XF GT on Blackwood is a Brazilian and he drove it with Mouse. It means he has skills, enough time for training and has made (or downloaded) a good setup, and if you can't beat it with wheel it's not because of the mouse or the wheel, it's because you, by yourself, just can't do it.
#247 - STF
Quote from Speed Soro :A good mouse control is a good programming feature, no discussion. But is it good for the simulation idea, that is the focus of the game? I dont think so.

Until they go worldwide sales with the FFB mouse, you have nothing to worry about. Every mouser - i think - is longing after a G25.

Options are always welcome though, should you want to play with a certain type of simracers, might as well be able to. *also hinting at analog clutch, h-shifter, maybe fixed setups and every possible reasonable option in general *
Sure, said options may not have success to general public.. I`m using mouse so far, but I do understand this "need" for.. exclusivism, and how it would be more rewarding finishing further down the pack in such server, than finishing first.. half a lap away, using a mouse.

Quote from Velociround :It means he has skills, enough time for training and has made (or downloaded) a good setup, and if you can't beat it with wheel it's not because of the mouse or the wheel, it's because you, by yourself, just can't do it.

In case of hotlaps, yes. I think a wheel is a "little" more physically demanding than a mouse, uses more "bandwidth" from its user, and in the long run, as fatigue sets in..

Quote from Dygear :It's funny. The devs created a control mechanism that's so well executed it's pissing people off.

I`ll just drop this here..
Possible solution:

Implement a (reasonable) maximum possible speed/acceleration for the steering imputs - possibly based on the FFB calculations, max reasonable force on the ingame steering wheel etc.

Problem solved for all 'unrealistic' controllers, including wheels with very low rotation.

kthxbai

(probably more trouble/effort than it's worth though)
Quote from Velociround :...

and you call me a troll... kid kid,

I have my opinion formed: mouse sux, period. see you around
Calvinaquino

I don't think track day is reaally racing.... =P

Because you go with your own car, that normaly isn't much a sports one (my car's brakes can't stand more than ~4 fast laps haha, and my 90 HP engine can't give much either) and people around there or are joking around the track or have cars so faster than yours that almost make you cry... =P

So... just a crazy-fast-best-possible driving... Sometimes you can have a "challenge" with a similar car... but for no more than 3 laps =P...

So... a very good RacingSim... =D

And yes.. i think Interlagos is way more than that (400 USD)... Jacarepagua is pretty much falling a part... and costs that much...

Mouse For Speed
(274 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG