The online racing simulator
Crysis
(219 posts, started )
Quote from brt900 :is there a release date for crysis 2

its rumored to be around march 2010.
That is just amazing.....

Would be so awesome if they started releasing their engines
Quote from DevilDare :That is just amazing.....

Would be so awesome if they started releasing their engines

well there is sandbox and sandbox 2,so there will be a 3. one i guess. u can have lots of fun with just these programs
If this will be opened for modders, then you can expect even more.
amazing, i've played crysis and crysis warhead, that engine was awesome, can't wait for more
There's a problem with the new CryEngine though thats going to be out on the consoles...

Physics are choppier... shadows don't update as often.... not as pretty....

> > And Warhead does have better FPS, but i noticed it has crappier graphics XD (really it does.... > > sadly when they "Optimized" it, they took out a few important things plus the original storyline was longer and better. :nod
the main problem with the new cry engine is the game it will power will be tedious repetitve sneaking through the jumgle for the first half after which they completely piss all over the relative fun that offered by thowing monsters aliens or something similarly silly at you
Quote from Shotglass :the main problem with the new cry engine is the game it will power will be tedious repetitve sneaking through the jumgle for the first half after which they completely piss all over the relative fun that offered by thowing monsters aliens or something similarly silly at you

So the main problem is that you just don't like it? Don't buy it then.

'The main problem with LFS is all that tedious driving cars around.'
Meh, did the world turn brown since Crysis? Looking at the latest videos, everything seems to be rendered using the Quake 1 colour palette. Hopefully there's a story-based reason for this look? Last I checked palm trees weren't brown.
havent you heard? brown is the new dayglow pink in computer graphics
i honestly cant remember the last time a game got released that actually tried to look anything like real life
either level designers have all gone colourblind or have cataract or they just dont care that all games look like shits really hit the fan and sprayed all over everything
Quote :Meh, did the world turn brown since Crysis? Looking at the latest videos,

If you meant the videos where the guy is talking about the editor, I wouldn't take those impressions so literally- it's a video of TV footage (never looks good) over different monitors. I noticed a couple of times how the colours changed depending on which monitor the camera was looking at, I guess due to each monitor being at a slightly different angle. Being sunset isn't going to help either, as there won't be much blue/white light at that time of day.

Anyway, last time I played Crysis, the lighting was very nice (for a computer game). Can't see why they'd bugger it up since then. But maybe you're right!
Looking at this video, which looks fraps'd, it has the same dull/brown look to the jungle scenes. At least it's worse than I remember Crysis looking. But then I turned off the post-processing in Crysis as well to reduce the Hollywoody contrast-fest.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It's possible- but still hard to say because the lighting in cryengine is so dynamic. The games are also heavily scripted to show off certain lighting at different times, so who knows what the real story is. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this latest engine lacks some of the fidelity of the PC version- they need to do something to get reasonable frame rates on the consoles, and lighting- good lighting, is going to be fairly complex.

Dunno
Attached images
compar.jpg
i think it just boils down to graphics getting progressively browner as game designers and graphicians get more and more detached from the real world (and from what makes a good game)
its pretty clear since you also put a far cry pic in there
It does seem to be that way

Yet I'd still make the case that lighting in games is getting better. Far Cry perhaps looks more normal because I think people make the assumption that trees = green and water = blue. With Crysis, the lighting introduces a lot more subtlety- there's a much better sense of enviromental depth due to the atmospheric perspective going on, ie- objects becoming progressively lighter and more desaturated the further away they are. In Farcry for the most part, green = green. I'd choose Crysis's more subtle lighting over Far Cry's lurid cartoon lighting anyday. For me there's no contest.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/i ... mb_620x2000/far_cry05.jpg

http://www.igniq.com/reviews/FarCry01.jpg

Perhaps this feeds a bit into the uncanny valley thing, that the closer we get to realism the more you're able to spot the differences from it. Getting really good lighting in games is going to take time, as it is with AI. These two things people like to criticise the most in games like Crysis, as if they don't understand that replicating human behaviour inside a computer is actually pretty difficult and is not going to be solved to the degree people want anytime soon.
far cry was a bit oversaturated yes but i thought crysis did a very good job of getting the colours right while the next installment seems to have gone down with the brown bandwagon
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/070119.jpg
About CryEngine 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWRskYLdno
They removed the whole vegetation from the whole island and then made it all dark and brown thinking people wouldn't notice the difference. They have also reduced view distance to 15 foot. Look how the barrels simply materialize right in front of him in the video.
Moral of the story: Do not try to run Crysis on a console. It doesn't work out well.
PC wins.
/thread

Crysis
(219 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG