The online racing simulator
Crysis
(219 posts, started )
Just finished the demo (the stuttering problems I mentioned earlier were fixed somewhat by rebooting).

As someone who thinks that FPS games are a useless and incredibly boring waste of time let me say that I am quite impressed by the demo. Can't say much about the gameplay as I don't know s*** about FPS but the amazing graphics do make you feel very immersed into the whole environment. I'm reserving my judgment as to whether the graphics crown has been passed on from Oblivion until the full version is out though. I'm suspecting that Crysis may be a one trick pony as in: look how amazing our leaves and trees are, now please enjoy 20 hours of running through them.

And since this is the the LFS forum be informed that the vehicle physics suck hard. Stay away from them.
Quote from J.B. :I'm reserving my judgment as to whether the graphics crown has been passed on from Oblivion until the full version is out though. I'm suspecting that Crysis may be a one trick pony as in: look how amazing our leaves and trees are, now please enjoy 20 hours of running through them.

I have to say I really didn't think Oblivions graphics were that good. I found it ran unnecessarily slowly for how it actually looked, and tbh really disappointed me.

Quote :And since this is the the LFS forum be informed that the vehicle physics suck hard. Stay away from them.

+1 lol
Quote from J.B. :
And since this is the the LFS forum be informed that the vehicle physics suck hard. Stay away from them.

Ah...but did you notice the difference in handling when you had your tyres shot out?? Not even Scawen has coded tyres that get shot yet!
Quote from Bladerunner :Not even Scawen has coded tyres that get shot yet!

Well, have you ever seen a sniper in Blackwood forest? I guess the forest guru is doing a good job to keep it safe
Thats why LFS is not rated as mature :P
Quote from J.B. :I'm suspecting that Crysis may be a one trick pony as in: look how amazing our leaves and trees are, now please enjoy 20 hours of running through them.

As long as the locations are varied enough (which should happen as you get closer to the asteroid and things slowly turn from a tropoical paradise into a frozen tropical paradise) I don't have a problem with that in the slightest.
Quote from ORION :Well, have you ever seen a sniper in Blackwood forest? I guess the forest guru is doing a good job to keep it safe
Thats why LFS is not rated as mature :P

Maybe not snipers...but I am a bit worried about some of the Chavs and Gangstas on the demo servers!
Tried that and it works pretty well. I get around a 25% frame rate drop (from around 20-25 to 15-20) and the effects are noticable, particularly on the water and when light shines through trees.

Still no AA though, although I imagine that would bring the frame rate down to something resembling a Powerpoint presentation.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Tried that and it works pretty well. I get around a 25% frame rate drop (from around 20-25 to 15-20) and the effects are noticable, particularly on the water and when light shines through trees.

Still no AA though, although I imagine that would bring the frame rate down to something resembling a Powerpoint presentation.

Try the settings on medium/low and 2XAA, you'll get a better experience - I found it better.
Then I don't get as much grass to hide behind :P

There's no point trying 2XAA anyway, as I don't get any no matter what I have it turned up to (in Crysis that is - other games are fine).
Quote from Crashgate3 :Then I don't get as much grass to hide behind :P

There's no point trying 2XAA anyway, as I don't get any no matter what I have it turned up to (in Crysis that is - other games are fine).

That means your graphic's Drivers are overriding the game. Set your graphics drivers to either Enhance or let the application decide.
Just played through the demo. The suit effects are a nice touch, but it still plays just like Far Cry. The grunts all require either 300 shots to the torso or one to the head, and you spend most of your time with vegetation in your face.

I was especially annoyed that the AI hasn't seemed to improve at all, because that was something that Far Cry had over the competition - marginally more interesting AI. But it seems Crytek have got a big EA budget now so they can stop worrying about doing clever things and just throw a small fortune at rendering shadows instead.
Well still AI is great, was great also in Far Cry. I like how they start searching for me when i get cloaked, they shoot few bullets randomly and listen to you etc. I think this game has best AI ever.
I notice it's Network/Live enabled, does this mean you have to pay the monthly subscription charge to live to play online????
Quote from Thorvertonian :I notice it's Network/Live enabled, does this mean you have to pay the monthly subscription charge to live to play online????

Lol what?

It supports multiplayer, I dunno where you read about it being P2P.
I don't think they're charging for the Windows Live service yet, but I've read that they plan on doing it eventually.

But then I've also read that Vista is the last non-subscription Windows as well, so we can hope that MS will soon get a shake up if people stop buying their new products
Can anyone tell me why I can not set any setting higher than LOW ? I have Radeon 9800 Pro - not the most powerful hammer in the market, however I would suspect i would be able to make some screenshots on MEDIUM, but no. I have something like 20-30 fps on low so I expected around 15 on medium, but I could not check it.
Could you not use that link you posted a few posts back and tweak it so instead of the 'high' settings your changing to 'very high', its the 'low' settings your changing to 'medium' or 'high'?

Haha, I spent ages writing this using quotes before I realised I was directing you to one of your own posts
Quote from pb32000 :I have to say I really didn't think Oblivions graphics were that good. I found it ran unnecessarily slowly for how it actually looked, and tbh really disappointed me.

Yeah, I guess there is some personal preference involved. For example I thought Bioshock looked horrible while it was being hyped like crazy by everyone.

Quote from Crashgate3 :As long as the locations are varied enough (which should happen as you get closer to the asteroid and things slowly turn from a tropoical paradise into a frozen tropical paradise) I don't have a problem with that in the slightest.

Will all the levels be outside on the island? Or are there going to be other locations?
There are also missions inside alien spacecraft, where there is no gravity
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :There are also missions inside alien spacecraft, where there is no gravity

so basically they spoil every single remotely interesting bit of story to make the games features seem more appealing ?

so far it just looks like far cry with less silly bits ... which is of course an improvement but as weve all been spoiled by the brilliant storytelling in portal i think you can already tell by the demo that crysis will fall short based solely on the fact that the game pauses for storytelling which never works for immersion
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :There are also missions inside alien spacecraft, where there is no gravity

Thanks for the spoiler, Dick
Quote from mikey_G :Thanks for the spoiler, Dick

Hardly a spoiler...it is mentioned in the official blurb for the game
Quote from mikey_G :Thanks for the spoiler, Dick

Oh and by the way, my name is not Dick.

Crysis
(219 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG