The online racing simulator
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :... better than throwing it repeatedly against a wall and nothing happening now isn't it mr. negative.

they still have plenty of time to release it. Hopefully they'll add deformation.

Probably just wanted to show that it was in the works... > > You know he won't show us deformations unless it's done right... you should know him..

Well everyone is expecting a game to be a late 2009 release, so they don't have much time now don't they... I don't care (that much) about visual damage, GT desperately needs DAMAGE, you know, for it to stop beeing a bumper racing simulation...
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well everyone is expecting a game to be a late 2009 release, so they don't have much time now don't they... I don't care (that much) about visual damage, GT desperately needs DAMAGE, you know, for it to stop beeing a bumper racing simulation...

agreed.

=/ they can always push it back tho.

every other great game that I wanted (....I wanted. I could care less what you all wanted.) has been delayed. so long as they make it good i could care less.

now will you all stop making me want to make this face....
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :You know he won't show us deformations unless it's done right... you should know him..

Its a shame he cant show us realistic physics until its done right.

Actually, scratch that. If we had to wait until realistic physics were introduced, then we would be waiting for years to come.
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :... better than throwing it repeatedly against a wall and nothing happening now isn't it mr. negative.

Exactly, it should have been done years ago - other titles have shown that it was possible even then...

Quote from Arsenic_Fox :they still have plenty of time to release it. Hopefully they'll add deformation.

Probably just wanted to show that it was in the works... > > You know he won't show us deformations unless it's done right... you should know him..

Oooh, deformation... Anything more than just visual bling maybe? Then it would be "done right" - this is a joke as it is now...

Just seen another "damage" trailer over at virtualr - now the bonnet has come open, yet even after some high-speed straights it stays perfectly upright - the hinges are strong on this one... :spvader:
Still... love the game =)
According to Kazunori the game is in theory ready to be released right away, they just want to perfect it. That means slashing bugs and stuff. Not adding new features.
That's why everyone think it's a december 2009 release. PS3 slim + GT5 bundle? It would be a massive hit. I am offcourse more interested in that "physical simulation is brand new" then damage offcoruse. If physics are up to LFS standards, then screw racing, i will drive by myself on the ring, and not be influenced by lack of damage (that much).
Plus Kazunori is actually one of the main people who hates to see the cars "hurt"...

he loves cars... a lot....
Quote from Boris Lozac :I am offcourse more interested in that "physical simulation is brand new"

Just nice way of sayig there could little improvements here and there, but otherwise like GT5:P...
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :Plus Kazunori is actually one of the main people who hates to see the cars "hurt"...

he loves cars... a lot....

Where as in Forza 3 every single car can be trashed and even rolled on the roof
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well now is the perfect time There's a sexy slim model coming out in september, 299$/299euros..

It's not sexy but i think there are gonna sell the old style of the ps3 on the cheap to get rid of the old stock so you could be in luck if you have a look around.
Quote from Luke.S :Where as in Forza 3 every single car can be trashed and even rolled on the roof

Cars in GT5 are able to roll aswell if you actually read the features of it.
Quote from Gills4life :Cars in GT5 are able to roll aswell if you actually read the features of it.

But not all of them can be damaged.

Sure, im not that bothered about damage, but its still something which can make or break a race, which makes the race more enjoyable for me as you cant just wreck everyone if you wanted to, so it stops them T1 wreckers.

Also, the cars that have "selectable" damage is the most stupid thing i have EVER heard. I realise that this is most likely down to certain manufacturers wanting there cars to be damaged, but i would have preferred it if damage was disabled for every car if that was the case. Imagine getting into a huge smash, and only 1 or 2 of the cars involved are damaged, yet everyone else's are pristine. It would just ruin it for me.
Quote from bbman :the hinges are strong on this one... :spvader:

It's just the Japanese engineering on the cars. Everyone knows that you can smash a Japanese (or Swedish) car and drive away without much drama.
Top Gear put a Hilux on top of a building during a controlled demolition, and the bonnet hinges survived that, even though the chassis ripped in half Them Japanese engineers obviously know their stuff when it comes to bonnet hinges
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :
Also, the cars that have "selectable" damage is the most stupid thing i have EVER heard.

I am sure that is not entirely true. I know you're a big Forza fan but that's going a bit OTT.

With the amount of cars that Gran Turismo 5 will have, I can quite happily put up with not all cars having full realtime damage. 1000+ cars for christ's sake. That's well over double the amount of cars that Forza 3 will have. That's a hell of a lot of work. You never know, they may release updates as they did with GT5:P with new and improved features. If there will be another GT on the PS3, I would like to think that GT5 is a stepping stone that they can extend in the next one (if there is going to be another one). That way, if say, half of the cars had damage, and half of them did not, they could include the other half with damage in the next version. I mean, I can't see them re-doing a lot in a new version for the PS3 in the future, I don't see how they could improve graphically within the limitations of current gen technology. It's far and away the greatest looking console sim, and indeed the best looking console game, from my point of view. 1000 cars with full realtime damage with exact interior and exterior modelling, that is just an enormous task to fulfill in just one build of Gran Turismo, especially if you regard everything else that the game has.

Sorry if any of that sounds silly, I started to ramble on a bit.

*Puts on Forza flame proof overalls.
I'm thinking (read: hoping) that damage to the missing cars is added in future patches. 170 out of 1000 isn't a great ratio, especially when it's not exactly a full functioning detailed damage system. Looks about equal to the system I loved in CMR2.0. I mean it's good enough for most race incidents, but it doesn't compare to the damage models of things like Flatout, Burnout, Grid or Dirt.

So fingers crossed 170 is just the launch number and we get more added later. Once they have a working model for something like the RX-7, they'll be able to apply that to all variations of that car, so it shouldn't take that long to cover all of them.
And once they have a damage model of the Skyline, they'll be able to cover 90% of the cars instantly!
Quote from TiJay :And once they have a damage model of the Skyline, they'll be able to cover 90% of the cars instantly!

Rofl
Quote from Gills4life :I am sure that is not entirely true. I know you're a big Forza fan but that's going a bit OTT.

With the amount of cars that Gran Turismo 5 will have, I can quite happily put up with not all cars having full realtime damage. 1000+ cars for christ's sake. That's well over double the amount of cars that Forza 3 will have. That's a hell of a lot of work. You never know, they may release updates as they did with GT5:P with new and improved features. If there will be another GT on the PS3, I would like to think that GT5 is a stepping stone that they can extend in the next one (if there is going to be another one). That way, if say, half of the cars had damage, and half of them did not, they could include the other half with damage in the next version. I mean, I can't see them re-doing a lot in a new version for the PS3 in the future, I don't see how they could improve graphically within the limitations of current gen technology. It's far and away the greatest looking console sim, and indeed the best looking console game, from my point of view. 1000 cars with full realtime damage with exact interior and exterior modelling, that is just an enormous task to fulfill in just one build of Gran Turismo, especially if you regard everything else that the game has.

Sorry if any of that sounds silly, I started to ramble on a bit.

*Puts on Forza flame proof overalls.

Ok, maybe it was a little over the top, but its still a thing which for me, would entirely ruin it for me when playing. It sounds silly, but its true. I dont get why they couldn't finish putting damage on all the cars, and then realese it as an update later down the line. It's like there handing you a game saying "hey. Um, heres GT5. Its not fully finished yet, but pay the full price for it anyway. We'll add damage and other stuff later, honest!". As for the 1000 or so cars that are going to be in the game, i heard that when GT5 is released, its going to start with a small ammount of cars, and then more and more will be realesed in multiple packs, which you have to pay for, correct? If that is going to happen, then it just sounds like there trying to rape you for all the money you got.

1000 cars would be impressive, but imo, it would take them a substantial ammount of time to do that, not to mention the fact that most the models are basically just the same car, just different versions. FM2 had the most important models of each range, like the Ford Focus ST for example. Look at GT for example, and its stupidly unneccesary (SP. Tired). Look at GT4. Theres something like 5 different versions of the R34 GTR, several different MX-5's...i mean come on. 1000 cars may make you think "OMG! WHAT A HUGE AMMOUNT OF CARS!". I would love to see your face when you realise there just the same car, just that ones an "LX", while the others a "sport", while the final one is a "sport SE" . In realistic terms, you will only use about 25% of the cars on a regular basis!

Yes, im a Forza Fan, but it's for a good reason! I never played Forza 1, so i dived straight into Forza 2 after hearing how good it is, and was impressed. It may not have some features of previous GT's, or the sheer ammount of cars, but its a great whole package. Sure, 2 has less cars than the GT series, and so will Forza 3, but even with Forza 2's "small" ammount of cars, i only find myself using about 10 on a regular basis. Now that Forza 3 is coming, with more cars and graphics that IMO, look better than GT5 (hey! FM3 has Anti-Aliasing! ), it should turn out to be one fantastic game, one which i will happily enjoy.

However, this does not mean that i am a Forza fanboy, and think that its the be all and end all of Console racing games. If any of the GT series got there physics as good as Forza, then i would drop Forza in an instant! Sure, GT's physics aren't that bad, and i realise they may be tweaked during the final release, but its too late now. For them to start from scratch and get GT5's physics to Forza's level would mean overhauling every single car; something which is impossible in order to get a release date before 2011.

While i will admit that previous (and the upcoming GT5) have had/will have some nice features, most of them are features which would not cause me to buy the game. If any of the said features made there way to Forza (which i know they wouldn't), it would just be a bonus, but would not make it any better. Im not completely hostile to GT either. Back when i had a PS2, i played GT4 alot (although granted, i thought the physics were uber! This was because i was yet to experience proper sims. :tilt and really enjoyed it, and when GT5 is finally released, i shall rent it out and try it on my brothers PS3. If its good enough, then i shall buy a PS3 again and play it.

As for now though, its a long way off. For me to buy it, the physics need to be better and the damage needs to be better (and be on all cars for goodness sake!).

Quote from TiJay :And once they have a damage model of the Skyline, they'll be able to cover 90% of the cars instantly!

THIS ^^^^ is basically what im trying to say above. While the ammount of cars that are going to be (Actually, has the 1000 cars been confirmed? I may have missed that) in the game may seem impressive, it just turns out that there just different versions! Truly pointless.

EDIT: Excuse any spelling or grammar errors in the above SLAB of text.
Well there are going to be a couple of new manufacturers in GT5 that have not been in previous titles such as Lamborghini and Ferrari which shall increase the number of cars. I am sure there are others but I can't really be bothered to dig into researching it at this hour (sorry don't mean to sound rude!)

I don't want this to turn into a flaming war because you have got every right to voice your opinion without getting abused, however, about your comment about FM3 gfx being superior to GT5's.... whut? I mean, not only do the cars look closer to the real thing, look at the environments of GT5 too. It just looks a lot more lifelike in GT5. I know it matters little at the end of the day, as its about gameplay and feel, but still... really? I think FM3, as amazing as it may be, still looks slightly artificial graphically, like the alloys which look a tad cartoony, in my opinion. FM3 certainly does look very very nice though I won't deny that. I say all this without even trying the full release of GT5 yet, so lets not judge too much until both titles are released and tryed and tested.

I think both games will have there advantages and there disadvantages, and if I could afford to have both then I would get both. Sadly I have nowhere near enough money and so I shall just stick with the PS3 and GT5... If yous all don't mind!

You could say I am a PS3 and GT5 fanboy because I do not have a 360 and have only briefly tried Forza 2, but honestly I am pretty neutral between each, since I know that the PC will always reign supreme anyway!
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :"hey. Um, heres GT5. Its not fully finished yet, but pay the full price for it anyway. We'll add damage and other stuff later, honest!"

Quote :"hey. Um, heres LFS S2. Its not fully finished yet, but pay the full price for it anyway. We'll add damage and other stuff later, honest!"

I can't see the problem with this business model. In fact, I prefer it. At least I can play the game now, and then get updates to make it better along the way Would you prefer if LFS was still only enjoyed by 3 people until it was deemed to be S2 Final?

(sorry if it looks like I'm nitpicking your post, it's just something that stuck out at me, and I don't really have anything to contribute to the rest of it that hasn't been said by Chris, or that would make me look like an utter PS3 fanboy, so I'll keep quiet :shy
forza... is not that great tbh. It's fun, yes. Incredibly. Customizable, lot of things... but... GT does so much more

Not only does Gran Turismo do a lot more than just "the same car, just slightly different", they do road tests of each car

They drive each car, doing different things like drift and such. They drive them out in the rain and if applicable the dirt.

They study each individual tidbit of each car to a point of extreme detail. They sleep under their freakin desks for years on end for christ sakes.

and to berate GT5 as you guys are is a shame to programmers and modelers everywhere. The work Polyphony pulls off is quite epic, and probably hold the highest standards out of any gaming company, period.

The game isn't just meant for gamers. It's meant for car enthusiasts. Sure, they have cars that are similar, but maybe I want to drive a few different road cars that are similar. They include the slightly different cars for a reason. It's because someone will want to. I mean, I remember in GT4 that i could get a '92 Mitsubishi Lancer. Not a great car, but i felt comfortable driving it. It drove a lot like my car did.

I like games that add the details. Sure they might not be able to perfect everything, but with the amount of work they HAVE done, it's still an epic game, and STILL better than Forza.

Maybe not for a gamer, but for someone who loves cars, and wants one that pays attention to detail in both look and feel.

Plus, forza comes out with a new game like, what, every other year?

How long has it been since polyphony came out with one? I'm sure they didn't just sit around and play solitaire all day.
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :forza... is not that great tbh. It's fun, yes. Incredibly. Customizable, lot of things... but... GT does so much more

Not only does Gran Turismo do a lot more than just "the same car, just slightly different", they do road tests of each car

They drive each car, doing different things like drift and such. They drive them out in the rain and if applicable the dirt.

They study each individual tidbit of each car to a point of extreme detail. They sleep under their freakin desks for years on end for christ sakes.

and to berate GT5 as you guys are is a shame to programmers and modelers everywhere. The work Polyphony pulls off is quite epic, and probably hold the highest standards out of any gaming company, period.

The game isn't just meant for gamers. It's meant for car enthusiasts. Sure, they have cars that are similar, but maybe I want to drive a few different road cars that are similar. They include the slightly different cars for a reason. It's because someone will want to. I mean, I remember in GT4 that i could get a '92 Mitsubishi Lancer. Not a great car, but i felt comfortable driving it. It drove a lot like my car did.

I like games that add the details. Sure they might not be able to perfect everything, but with the amount of work they HAVE done, it's still an epic game, and STILL better than Forza.

Maybe not for a gamer, but for someone who loves cars, and wants one that pays attention to detail in both look and feel.

Plus, forza comes out with a new game like, what, every other year?

How long has it been since polyphony came out with one? I'm sure they didn't just sit around and play solitaire all day.

oh i guess we should praise all of GT5.
i will stick with forza 3(which will be better than GT5 in physics and everything. )
Quote from mutt107 :oh i guess we should praise all of GT5.
i will stick with forza 3(which will be better than GT5 in physics and everything. )

You should, as your Forza won't run for more than a week a time, with a 3 week break as you're busy doing yet another red ring warranty claim.

Maybe break out the wallet for a PS3, it's down to being on par with a 360 Elite for price, maybe not features as you have another 100$ to spend for WiFi on the 360, then another 60-120$ per year to get called a fag by 13 year olds (which is apparently a FEATURE of Xbox..)

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG