The online racing simulator
Just did my first online race. Surprisingly great fun! Was on Top Gear test track with my heavily modified Classic Mini '98 1.3i with 151bhp and beat the new McLaren car and an FTO The mini feels pretty accurate, it's so fast in corners it takes all of the other faster cars by surprise! Shame it's not a premium car.
Can anyone please test the Online thouroghly, is there an option to set qualifications, can you set how long the free session lasts, etc..
All this information is such a tease since I don't have it yet!

From a simracers perspective, how does the actual game compare to the feeling recieved from all the hype?

Is the game what it was expected to be, better or a flop?
Haven't been able to test it with my wheel yet but it feels very fun using a controller. Imagine it would be much better with a wheel though so if I can enjoy it with a controller, something I just didn't find possible with Prologue, then it can't be that bad!
Quote from legoflamb :
From a simracers perspective, how does the actual game compare to the feeling recieved from all the hype?

It seems that it's all a sim-racer could hoped for, they meant bussines here, all over i'm hearing praises from iRacers and LFS'ers. My buddy from LFS just said that Nordshcleife is exstatic, the feeling in the FF when you land the jump from a bad angle, etc.. he's loving it.
@ Gills4life

That could be true (the thing about the controller), but, from my experience with new racing games, it is hard to tell if the game will feel good with a wheel when a controller is all that it has been tested with. Sometimes games that feels good with a controller, feels not as good with a wheel. I have also found, generally, if the game is easy to drive with a controller (and all aids off), then it probably won't feel good to drive with a wheel. My examples being NFS shift, GT4, sega GT 2002, and forza (all of them).
Quote from Boris Lozac :C'mon Danowat, it's like you couldn't wait to get back here and bash it.. already a score eh? Play the game, relax..

Shades of your Avatar fanboyism, perhaps?
Quote from danowat :Ok, first impressions.

....there is some quite odd weight transfer issues, rear end overtaking the front under braking is well over done...

I found, in prologue anyway, that all cars are default set to 50:50 brake bias. Once the brake bias is changed to accomodate the lock up, it preforms much better. In prologue about 7 front 2 rear or 8 front 3 rear depending on the weight bias.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Shades of your Avatar fanboyism, perhaps?

I don't get it..
I'm just saying, that half an hour playing a game then rushing back here with 7/10 score, cmon..
imagine those online hillclimb challenges.
Fiats FTW

Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't get it..
I'm just saying, that half an hour playing a game then rushing back here with 7/10 score, cmon..

What I'm saying is, whenever someone disagrees with your enthusiasm for a given product, you get all indignant about it.

How about just accepting that Dan is a bit less than bowled over with the game so far. People are allowed to post their initial impressions.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't get it..

Well, some people already declare this the best game ever after a few screenshots.......
I do have strong expectations, maybe that's why i seem defensive But how much can you learn from what, 1 hour of playing, it was just pointless score, sorry Danowat
And i will be the first one to bash it if it really deserves that, after i test it enough.. i'm just seeing so many good words about physics..
can you modify the exterior like forza?
Quote from Mustafur :can you modify the exterior like forza?

Wings, bonnets, front bumpers, side extensions for Premium cars, race mods to make a street car into a race car for some premiums

example of a race mod

Standards just get a wing

see vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqxsdWph7jM
physics is a subjective thing though.....people can have many impressions on the exact same code. I trust no comments and opinions except my own.
I suspect i wont be playing gt5 for another 16 hours that is when ups usually delivers for me
@Jibber.

You are forced to use a standard car very quickly.

@Boris.

If this were any other game than GT5, I'd agree with you, it would be a very quick, knee jerk score, but GT5 is pretty much the same game as GT has always been with a few bells and whistles on it, its in no way a new game.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Can anyone please test the Online thouroghly, is there an option to set qualifications, can you set how long the free session lasts, etc..

You can set....

Number of participants and track to start, then.....

Game mode : free run, shuffle race
Laps : 1-200
Start : Grid, Grid with false check
Grid order : Fastest first, slowest, Reverse based on previous results
Boost : No, low, high
Penalty : None, weak, strong
Grid reduction on wet edge, low, real

Car settings..

Unrestricted
Karts
F1
Select from garage

Tyre restrictions, all tyres

Force all aids off

There is no qualification, and it would appear that free run is endless

I also notice the "race quality" ranking, this would appear to give a rating out of 5 stars as to the quality and smoothness of the racing, must be a latency rating
The top gear test track races...........AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG