The online racing simulator
scawen i noticed that everytime with Z15 no matter how many reinstalls i do when i press shift+f4 to get out of windowd mode and to go back in it again i have to re calibrate my wheel.

WHy has this happened?
example:

Playing lfs fine
shift+F4
Talk on msn or go on internet.
Back to lfs and press shift+f4 again
Wheel isnt calibrated right?

This happens everytime i repeat this process.
Quote from LRB_Aly :...Gonna try on a fresh installation.

May I suggest to everyone testing new patches to do so on the latest downloadable, clean/unmodified version of LFS? I sometimes notice problems posted here relating to 3rd party add-ons which have nothing to do with core LFS. These might have the effect of potentially slowing down bug hunts or simply adding another layer of meaningless posts or confusion to the test patch thread.

I hope this post is constructive
Quote from 91mason91 :scawen i noticed that everytime with Z15 no matter how many reinstalls i do when i press shift+f4 to get out of windowd mode and to go back in it again i have to re calibrate my wheel.

WHy has this happened?
example:

Playing lfs fine
shift+F4

have you locked the calibration?
Quote from LRB_Aly :I get a "Can't open: wheel" error message in Z15 (I get it everytime a car is loaded, in the car selection menu for example, in the setup menu also). Doesn't seem to effect anything though, and I also don't see any graphical glitches.

I had that error once after installing some custom textures, the WHEEL.DDS file was missing from the DDS folder, which gives that exact error, i just temporarily deleted my WHEEL.DDS file again to to make sure (see screeny)

I have also attached the WHEEL.DDS file, put that in your data/dds folder and it should fix it.
Attached images
cant open wheel.JPG
Attached files
WHEEL.dds - 312 B - 431 views
Quote from three_jump :have you locked the calibration?

Can't speak for him, but locking the calibration has no effect, i always lose calibration when I shift focus and from LFS and back in windowed mode.
I don't know what it is, but I keep disconecting from servers, like all 5 minutes.
Worked on the same internet line before without any problems.
All that's running is skype, wlm, and steam, no other application that's connected to the internet.
Quote from Gil07 :Can't speak for him, but locking the calibration has no effect, i always lose calibration when I shift focus and from LFS and back in windowed mode.

does this always happen or only after youve plugged your wheel in right before starting lfs/after reboots?

try starting lfs calibrate the wheel (no cal lock) then close lfs and start it again to see if that solves the issue
Quote from Stefani24 :I don't know what it is, but I keep disconecting from servers, like all 5 minutes.
Worked on the same internet line before without any problems.
All that's running is skype, wlm, and steam, no other application that's connected to the internet.

Not sure if it is well known for you but Skype detects your internet connection and if it will analyze as a good one it can start using you as some kind of node for traffic. I guess this might be the issue. Also it might be very rare and random.

Skype is very well known from history for not doing really nice things.

I dont say this must be the issue with your disconnects but try it LFS online with Skype totally disabled and see what happens then. Not only to be logged of from skype.
Gentoo Linux x86_64
Nvidia GF8600M with 180.60 drivers
wine 1.1.25

Both standard and test mode shadows working fine with both shadown resolution settings.
Quote from askoff :Gentoo Linux x86_64
Nvidia GF8600M with 180.60 drivers
wine 1.1.25

Both standard and test mode shadows working fine with both shadown resolution settings.

Thanks. It looks like a lot of people using Wine 1.1.25 do get good shadows.

It seems to me there is an issue with some people's Wine installations, no bug in LFS regarding shadows.

So I would suggest to Wine users who have the problem, please upgrade to Wine 1.1.25 if you have not already, and if that doesn't solve the problem, see what other things you can update (drivers or anything that Wine depends on) to try and fix it.

I don't want to leave the test key in there, it doesn't completely fix the problem for most people although it can show an improvement. It was just a test to see if the CopyRects function was the problem, but apparently that is not the only problem.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I had that error once after installing some custom textures, the WHEEL.DDS file was missing from the DDS folder, which gives that exact error, i just temporarily deleted my WHEEL.DDS file again to to make sure (see screeny)

I have also attached the WHEEL.DDS file, put that in your data/dds folder and it should fix it.

Thanks, that actually was the problem.

Sorry that I came up with it. I really didn´t thought about the addon I installed (usually I don´t use 3rd party addons). On the other side no problems with this test patch so far.
Ubuntu 9.04 2.6.28-13
Wine 1.1.25
HD4890 fglrx 2:8.620

All shadows are fine - low res, high res both test and normal.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks. It looks like a lot of people using Wine 1.1.25 do get good shadows.

It seems to me there is an issue with some people's Wine installations, no bug in LFS regarding shadows.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 running on my second machine which I use for work puposes (my old LFS rig when I had XP on it) anyway with wine 1.0.1 the shadows don't draw properly and mirrors didn't render. Updated to wine 1.1.25 and the shadows are good along with the mirrors rendering properly dash displays correctly etc all is good!

The install of Ubuntu is pretty much the default install allowing the synoptic package manager to detect and upgrade what it deemed necessary. I only had to tell it to get the wine update manually via directing the synoptic package manager as by default it lists 1.0.1 as the latest stable version that Ubuntu supports.

Machine is Intel 3.2ghz early dual core 2gb mem and nvidia 6600gt.
Quote from Glenn67 :I have Ubuntu 9.04 running on my second machine which I use for work puposes (my old LFS rig when I had XP on it) anyway with wine 1.0.1 the shadows don't draw properly and mirrors didn't render. Updated to wine 1.1.25 and the shadows are good along with the mirrors rendering properly dash displays correctly etc all is good!

Mirrors not working in the old version is probably a clue as well. Shadows, dashboard and mirrors all use textures as "render targets" - meaning textures that LFS draws an image onto. It's the sort of thing that would be likely to get missed out / not fully debugged in an early version of something like Wine (or the software it depends on) because render targets are, I guess, not so commonly used as normal textures and other D3D features.
Quote from Scawen :I guess, not so commonly used as normal textures and other D3D features.

Another side note is a bit on the subjective side (and I don't have enough linux know how to test in more detail) the overall quality of graphics appeared sharper and clearer in wine 1.1.25
I suspect they are still in the stage were each update see big strides in progress in many areas. I get this impression with open office and ubuntu overall for example. I attempted to convert over to ubunto and open office on previous earlier versions and found it too difficult for what I expected out of such a work system, were with the most recent versions I have found the process far easier and almost a pleasure
broken - I have moved your post to a new thread here, as that feature request is not relevant to the new features in these test patches.
#95 - senn
Thanks Scawen, haven't found any new bugs yet. (Vista Ultimate 1.8ghz dual core; 6gb ram;XFX 8800GT Alpha; SB X-Fi)

Altho, i have noticed it's slightly slower before it brings up the first screen, and after you click Multiplayer (its very small, but the screen is black for slightly longer now)
Don't know if this is normal..
sooooo no bugs found
great work
waiting for new stuff
Quote from senn :
Altho, i have noticed it's slightly slower before it brings up the first screen, and after you click Multiplayer (its very small, but the screen is black for slightly longer now)
Don't know if this is normal..

I've had that aswell, usally it goes really fast, but now it takes up to 2 or 3 sec.
#98 - senn
yeah thats the same thing i'm getting, not really a huge issue as such, i just thought it was worth mentioning
Is that Window while connecting = YES option causing the slower screen load?
Each new patch resets that option.

edit: I do know why this happens, I'm just offering a reason why the screen loads slower after a patch is released, perhaps their screen goes back to windowed mode which can take an extra second or two.
Quote from 91mason91 :scawen i noticed that everytime with Z15 no matter how many reinstalls i do when i press shift+f4 to get out of windowd mode and to go back in it again i have to re calibrate my wheel.

WHy has this happened?
example:

Playing lfs fine
shift+F4

I had a problem similar like that when I had the wheel connected to a USB-hub integrated in my screen. Seemed like the USB-hub was restarted when the screen changed resolution...
This thread is closed

Test Patch Z15 (online compatible)
(287 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG