The online racing simulator
So.. now the FIA is suing FOTA.

What a frickin' mess.
heres a joke we wont see again

Quote from MAGGOT :So.. now the FIA is suing FOTA.

What a frickin' mess.

There is a lot of evidence against the FIA's case, especially Max announcing a while back that if FOTA don't like it they can always set up their own series, what a bloody stupid thing to say, Max shot himself in the foot.
Quote from SamH :Prodrive can replace Williams in the breakaway series. Campos has also started asking about the possibility of joining in. Seems they'd rather race in the sun with Ferrari than under the Mosley cloud.

Ferrari are also contractually bound to race in FIA's F1 in 2010, perhaps if they weight the cost-benefit in favour of monetary compensation to FIA for breaching it.. Having said that it could dent their image somewhat.
This wont happen simply because the FIA wont allow it ..
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Ferrari are also contractually bound to race in FIA's F1 in 2010, perhaps if they weight the cost-benefit in favour of monetary compensation to FIA for breaching it.. Having said that it could dent their image somewhat.

There are multiple contracts with requirements of both parties. We can't assume that Ferrari are necessarily the first to breach the terms of these contracts. Ferrari membership of the FOTA, which the FIA argues is a breach of contract, was as I understand it a response to the FIA's breach of its contractual obligations to Ferrari. Dates and times.. we'll just have to see who's broken which contract.
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe I should Officially withdraw from F1. It'll get me in the news at least. It would be just as newsworthy.

You too? Oh snap!
Quote from aobrien :This wont happen simply because the FIA wont allow it ..

The only thing stopping them is money. There is a fine in the contract for some 50 million Euros should they break away, and then the FIA may sue for who knows how much. So, if FOTA is willing to take the financial hit, which I think they are since they wouldn't decide to do this without looking at the repercussions, then there is nothing else really stopping them other than the whole "you are no longer welcome at FIA events" deal, which, TBH, isn't that big of a deal for FOTA since they (apparently) hate the FIA anyway.
According to monsieur Kimi, the FOTA series would run 3 cars per team.
Interesting, I'd like to see it like the old days where teams would run some wildcard drivers (like Derek Bell etc) in different races, sometimes Ferrari would be running 4 cars. But running a ceratian number of cars should not be compulsary, I think some new teams may be interested if they are allowed to run one car.

I'd also like to see a return of non championship events.
Quote from 5haz :

I'd also like to see a return of non championship events.

Yep. Like the Indy 500 of old. That would be cool. But I think if they have more than 2 there'd be too many. Just a couple, one near the start and one near the end.
HO-LY-SH**.

Congratulations, FOTA, you have just killed F1.
Quote from Danny LFS :HO-LY-SH**.

Congratulations, FOTA, you have just killed F1.

FIA and FOM did that a long time ago, and dont worry, if F1 goes down the swanny there will be a FOTA GP to replace it, so youll still see the pinnacle of motorsport every second sunday.
FIA and FOM started to mess up F1, now FOTA finished the work. F1 will go down real soon. Get frickin' real.
Right, either the FOTA have played a blinding master stroke, and in poker terms have managed to get the FIA on 'Full Tilt' while holding the 'Nuts Draw' or they have gone for the full 'Bluff' despite 'Drawing Dead' (Basically it's do or die) Both the FIA and FOTA have some cards to play with, but we are all waiting for the 'River card' before this dance on the green table before to see who is left holding the 'Dead Man's Hand'

There's a couple of factors that need to be considered in this.
  1. Tracks - AFAIK the FIA give accreditation to tracks to hold races, if this FOTA breakaway series goes ahead, could the FIA be vindictive enough to restrict some of the races a track can host (WTCC, GT class etc) if they have gone with the FOTA series? On the flip side could this mean that some of the prestige tracks (Silverstone, Monza etc) hesitate to sign up with the breakaway meaning that some of the lesser tracks are used (could be a ood thing, could be a bad thing)
  2. Sponsorship – Where does the money want to go. The prestige of sponsoring an F1 team will always be a pull, but will it be enough to keep some of them in F1...doubtful, but we will see a split.
  3. Coverage – If the FOTA can't get good coverage then it is doomed from the start. There is a danger of going to Sky as from the start the target audience is reduced, even more so if they go a pay-per-view route
This is also going to be a chance for rival series to try and capitalise on F1's implosion. Will a reduced F1 or FOTA series be seen as the top of single seater racing despite both having key bit missing form both, or can a well marketed rival series (A1 GP anyone) play thier cards right and come in over the top and steal the pot.

Personally I think this is the final kick in the ging-gang-gollies of F1 as we know it. Max is such an easy person to blame, and history will portion the demise of F1 firmly in his hands, but he did not act alone in this shame. There is not a single side of this sorry mess that can walk away at the end of the day and say that a) they did everything possible and b) they are not to blame for any of this.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Tracks - AFAIK the FIA give accreditation to tracks to hold races, if this FOTA breakaway series goes ahead, could the FIA be vindictive enough to restrict some of the races a track can host (WTCC, GT class etc) if they have gone with the FOTA series? On the flip side could this mean that some of the prestige tracks (Silverstone, Monza etc) hesitate to sign up with the breakaway meaning that some of the lesser tracks are used (could be a ood thing, could be a bad thing)

The FIA might be able to do that, but it will be difficult. If the FIA doesn't have a technically good reason (ie. safety, facilities, etc.) for such a restriction, the track owners could appeal to the FIA International Court of Appeal, which - for various reasons - is effectively out of Mosley's control.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Sponsorship – Where does the money want to go. The prestige of sponsoring an F1 team will always be a pull, but will it be enough to keep some of them in F1...doubtful, but we will see a split.

Money tends to go where money is. If the FOTA breakaway series looks to attract more corporate attention (which it probably will), then sponsors will flock to it. In any case, sponsors are far more likely to want to be linked with prestigious automobile manufacturers than nameless come-and-go racing teams.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Coverage – If the FOTA can't get good coverage then it is doomed from the start. There is a danger of going to Sky as from the start the target audience is reduced, even more so if they go a pay-per-view route

Words from the rumour mill is that the BBC is willing to part with FIA's F1 if FOTA forms a breakaway series. As I said, money attracts money. Even if BBC doesn't walk away from F1, FOTA can still turn to providers like Eurosport, ITV, etc.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :This is also going to be a chance for rival series to try and capitalise on F1's implosion. Will a reduced F1 or FOTA series be seen as the top of single seater racing despite both having key bit missing form both, or can a well marketed rival series (A1 GP anyone) play thier cards right and come in over the top and steal the pot.

IMHO, A1GP could never be compared to F1 or any top-tier racing series. Any series which is dependent on one-make spec cars is doomed to second-tier status on the global stage.

FOTA has everything going for them at the moment: money, driver prestige, technical reputation, fan support, and the marketing pull of some of the biggest automotive manufacturers in the world. The only obstacles to success for FOTA are the soon-to-come legal challenges from the FIA, and even those will be mere speed-bumps if the FOTA play smart.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :
  1. Tracks - AFAIK the FIA give accreditation to tracks to hold races, if this FOTA breakaway series goes ahead, could the FIA be vindictive enough to restrict some of the races a track can host (WTCC, GT class etc) if they have gone with the FOTA series? On the flip side could this mean that some of the prestige tracks (Silverstone, Monza etc) hesitate to sign up with the breakaway meaning that some of the lesser tracks are used (could be a ood thing, could be a bad thing)

FIA did something like that when CART was thinking about expanding into Europe in the 90s?
Quote from Danny LFS :FIA and FOM started to mess up F1, now FOTA finished the work. F1 will go down real soon. Get frickin' real.

So? The FOTA series will continue the current F1 in all but name, not really much of a problem, will actually make it better.
Quote from deggis :FIA did something like that when CART was thinking about expanding into Europe in the 90s?

If they did, CART still managed to get Brands Hatch, Lausitz, Rockingham, and Zolder (CCWS).

Brands Hatch and Rockingham are probably not very suitable for F1 type cars, but Lausitz and Zolder certainly are. There are plenty of other tracks which could host a FOTA race without encumbrance from F1.
Regarding the tracks I have three words your you: Laguna friggin' Seca.
Quote from Danny LFS :FIA and FOM started to mess up F1, now FOTA finished the work. F1 will go down real soon. Get frickin' real.

"F1" probably will if the split really happens.

But the new series most likely won't and I for one am very much looking forward to the possibilities that brings and how they use them.

Teams to launch Breakaway series
(307 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG