The online racing simulator
Quote from samjh :Well, IOM TT is more of a circular rally stage than a closed circuit. You might as well have picked Pikes Peak!

could be a bit interesting getting back from the top to the start line to complete a lap
Quote from tinvek :could be a bit interesting getting back from the top to the start line to complete a lap

I suggest that the drivers would have to jump out of their cars at the top and complete the race like this.
Quote from 5haz :I suggest that the drivers would have to jump out of their cars at the top and complete the race like this.

woah that looks a rush. I think i'd die of fear if I tried that and i'm a nut case, those guys must have forgotten to take their medication.
Quote from tinvek :could be a bit interesting getting back from the top to the start line to complete a lap

Someone once said (paraphrased): if we had balls, we'd race each other downhill!

I think it might have been Bobby Unser after Michelle Mouton won the hillclimb.
Just seen on skysports news

Quote :Max Mosley says agreement reached with F1 teams to prevent breakaway series

EDIT:

Quote :The Formula One Teams' Association have decided against forming a breakaway series after reaching an agreement with the FIA on Wednesday.

The eight teams had threatened to form a rival series after the FIA introduced a £40million budget cap for the 2010 season.

FIA president Max Mosley insists that he will not step down as part of the deal but did say he will not stand for re-election in October.

The Paris meeting between 120 members of the FIA and FOTA representatives was held as a final chance for the two bodies to hammer out a deal.

More to follow...

Hmmm, have to admit i'm a little saddened by this.

Was really excited at the prospect of the FOTA breakaway championship. Now it seems as though it's gonna be the same old same old, with a few tweaks here and there.

Cest la vie
... and in the classy, on-topic way, this is the picture on the front page of our F1 tv-channel for the topic "No breakaway series after all"

:doh:
Quote from Mazz4200 : Hmmm, have to admit i'm a little saddened by this.

Was really excited at the prospect of the FOTA breakaway championship. Now it seems as though it's gonna be the same old same old, with a few tweaks here and there.

Cest la vie

I know what you mean. The breakaway series meant more than just getting away from Max, it was about reducing ticket prices and making the sport more accessible. These are things that FOTA said they wanted to address, over and above simple sport governance and budget caps. We'll have to wait and see what the details of the deal are, and see if the punters get anything out of this while the teams get what they're asking for.
well as long as F1 stays at Silverstone and doesnt go to the crap hole that is Donnington i personally dont care whether there are 1 or 2 championships next year. F1 isnt F1 without the politics.
I don't think you can necessarily count on Silverstone retaining F1. It may host next year but the contract has gone to Donington. If Donington lost the contract that it's got because it isn't ready for next year, a significant portion of the responsibility for that can be placed on FIA and FOM for allowing the sport to be undermined so significantly over the last year or more, jeopardising investment over and above the credit crunch.
EDIT: There was another page.... deleted my post as i'm incontinuital.
Yeah, i guess we will have to wait till the details come out. But, if Bernie's still involved, which it appears he is, then all the existing contracts with tracks, sponsors, governments etc will remain. So that means Donny as No 1 choice with Silverstone as back-up for 2010.

And seeing as most of the profits Bernie has been making from F1 have being going straight to that consortium of b-ankers that bought into the sport a few years back, i can't see them giving up their cut. They ran up some monumental debts in the process, so, we can only expect things to carry on as they have been. More visits to souless tracks with no history and no fan base, high ticket prices etc etc. And places like Canada, USA, France etc who can't afford or arn't prepared to meet Bernie's prices being left by the wayside.

It's good that Maxies going, but, even though i actually quite like Bernie the bloke. I think it would have been best for the sport as a whole if Benie took a bow and left the stage aswell.

But time will tell, lets see those details first before we sound the final death knell of F1 as we knew it.
Nice to see there has come a solution.

It would've sucked a bit if there would be a breakaway series.
I'm not surprised - I suspected there would only be one series. And like Sam I'm worried that all FOTA stood for will be lost, or at the very least heavily diluted. Max and Bernie (and the b- ankers ) are killing F1. In Max's case with his stupid rules and 'vision', and with Bernie tied up by b- ankers he's strangling the sport of decent venues, sensible prices and so on.

F1 makes a lot of money. But I think that it'd make a lot more if it could attract more of a paying crowd. A million people paying nothing makes nothing. 10 people paying £500 makes £5000. Nine hundred thousand paying £50 makes £45,000,000. Simple economics (unless your name is Alan).
Quote from tristancliffe :
F1 makes a lot of money. But I think that it'd make a lot more if it could attract more of a paying crowd. A million people paying nothing makes nothing. 10 people paying £500 makes £5000. Nine hundred thousand paying £50 makes £45,000,000. Simple economics (unless you're name is Alan).

I am what you call 'realistic'. If it was the 'simple' then why the hell don't you and Sam invest your own cash and make some money.? if it's that 'simple'!!!

And there is so much more to pricing of tickets than a bloke sitting at a table going let's charge this much. With so much interference going on with the world economy at the moment with inflation of the money supply (Australia gave out FREE money) etc... So to sit here and think in one paragraph that you can solve F1's problems is naive beyond belief.

And again if you believe so much in your own economic knowledge where's your millions to prove it? All I know is I don't have enough of a grasp or the situation to believe I can get anywhere near close to suggesting solutions because if I did I wouldn't be on this bloody forum. i would be on a beach somewhere with my Ferrari Enzo parked up!
Besides glib idiocy and mind-numbingly stupid suggestions, do you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion, Alan?

We're discussing the direction of the sport, its accessibility and the inherent problems associated with its current ownership and governance, and your response, which amounts to "if you don't like it then do it yourself", is simply moronic.
I don't believe I need to have an Enzo or a multi-billion pound business to know that F1 is pricing itself out of it's very market. 'They' can't see it because, as we all know, bankers have very little understanding of the real world. That is why were in this mess - not because the basis of economic changed, or because people on the street did anything wrong.

Besides, I think we have a large enough collection of cars to suggest that perhaps we (as a family) have a basic grasp of economics on some level.

Oh, and where is your millions to prove that I am wrong and you are right? Where is your Enzo. That's right, you know no more than me, and therefore you are in no position to tell me if I'm right or wrong.
Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch. We've only heard Mosley's take. Wait until FOTA releases their statement.

Mosley has promised not to stand for re-election? I believe he has made that promise a few times before...
Quote from SamH :Besides glib idiocy and mind-numbingly stupid suggestions, do you have anything of value to contribute to the discussion, Alan?

We're discussing the direction of the sport, its accessibility and the inherent problems associated with its current ownership and governance, and your response, which amounts to "if you don't like it then do it yourself", is simply moronic.

Well when i see people not factoring huge influential factors why shouldn't I comment?

Value? eerr.. I am telling you if you don't factor in inflation of the monetary supply and Government intervention in regards to prices then whatever you say is flawed.

Actually what is VERY interesting the German Government have said they aint funding Hockenheim any more and now suddenly Bernie wants to negotiate a 'cheaper' deal!
Quote from samjh :Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch. We've only heard Mosley's take. Wait until FOTA releases their statement.

A very, very, VERY good point.

*backs away, slowly*

I don't think inflation needs to be factored into this particular discussion. The simple fact is that a million people paying nothing makes nothing. 10 people paying £500 makes £5000. Nine hundred thousand paying £50 makes £45,000,000. F1 is currently somewhere between the first and the second option, whilst FOTA seemed to be leaning between the second and third.

Bernie charges 'an amount'. That amount doesn't seem to be based on the cost of running the meeting, but on the amount of interest being accrued by the silly banks that wanted to make a quick buck. It's not sustainable. Something WILL break, and as Turkey only has 5 inhabitants rich enough to afford to go to a GP it's going to happen pretty soon.
Quote from samjh :Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch. We've only heard Mosley's take. Wait until FOTA releases their statement.

Mosley has promised not to stand for re-election? I believe he has made that promise a few times before...

You're absolutely right, of course. What Max says and what is reality have frequently been quite different, of late. I've learned not to take what Max says too seriously. I wait for non-FIA statements, these days. It's a learned response.
Quote from tristancliffe :bankers have very little understanding of the real world. That is why were in this mess - not because the basis of economic changed, or because people on the street did anything wrong.

Apart from the complete IDIOTS who thought the housing market always rose! And the bankers aren't the only ones to blame...
Quote from Intrepid :Well when i see people not factoring huge influential factors why shouldn't I comment?

Value? eerr.. I am telling you if you don't factor in inflation of the monetary supply and Government intervention in regards to prices then whatever you say is flawed.

Yeah yeah, Alan. Your assumption that you know something we don't, like about inflation. Err.. we're in a recession, you twonk.. as if inflation was even a consideration, given other more directly relevent factors.. geez you can be really stupid.

Weren't you the one claiming to be a mechanical engineer because you had a bench-mounted vice grip!? From one extreme to the other, Alan. I think I'll wait until you find some common sense somewhere in the rational middle ground before paying much more attention to your input.
The housing market does always rise. Look back in history and it's ALWAYS an upward trend. But it always increases in the short term faster than is sustainable, and then crashes. Then it builds. The net effect is a rising price market at a sustainable rate.

The trick, of course, is to buy and sell within this boom-crash cycle. A cycle that has occurred since the beginning of capitalism. Recently some bankers got that wrong. And lost some of our money (albeit imaginary money at the time) in the process.

Teams to launch Breakaway series
(307 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG