The online racing simulator
Quote from Shotglass :with the quality of teams set to enter f1 next year id guess that you stand a pretty good chance in your dallara at grabbing 5th behind williams and force india

Yeah, i actually think he stands a better chance than that tbh.

Rosberg will be poached by one of the FOTA teams,
Nakajima will crash,
and Sutil will break down.

So that only leaves the new teams and Fisi as plausible competition.

The Americans won't be able to build a car that turns right,
and the Spanish will build a car that inexplicably pulls into the pits and switches itself off for a couple of hours every lunchtime.

So that only leaves a bunch of turnip farmers from Norfolk. And nothing good has ever come out of Norfolk, ever...

I think he's squids in

@Tristan, if you're looking for for an entry form, i recon Maxie's probably got a load of em stuffed in his back pocket right now. No doubt he'll be handing them out to the crowds this coming weekend.

If you need money....you could always give your local MP a call, nudge nudge, wink wink, "say no-mor-ah" .

[edit] Oh, and another thing Mr "so called" ShottyGlass. For f**ks sake do me a favour, change your effing sig. It's not big, it's not clever and it's not funny. Be a sport !
2011 formation lap with alan in the 35 usf1 car on pole
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 262533_94663fcd11.jpg?v=0
the other annoying lfs forum kartor snatching the lead from ukyo katayama whos racing career took an unexpected rise back to glory under the new regulations
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263049_e7698885aa_o.jpg
the new greener and more eco pace car
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263417_c926670ab3_o.jpg
the focus on mechanical grip away from aero grip will allow movie studios such as disney and warner to sponsor teams much more effectively
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263543_d188b27e9d_o.jpg
Quote from UncleBenny :He mentions coming to the US to race. Would be cool, but I don't see it happening.

As someone already said, hopefully this whole thing turns out better than the CART/IRL split.

some dude on another fourm made a good point about the compairson between this and the CART/IRL Split

Quote :What is going on right now is absolutely nothing like the CART/IRL split.

The IRL was formed because Tony George and others at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway felt that the traditions of US open wheel racing were being ignored by CART, he felt there was less and less oval racing and the previous generation of great US drivers such as Foyt, Mears and the Unsers were being replaced by road/street courses and past it former F1 drivers. The IRL had the support of a minority but of course it had the Indy 500 which far outweighed anything CART had, even though that may not have been apparent at the time. CART thought they could take on the Speedway and they were humiliated.

In reality this current problem within F1 is more like the 1979 split between USAC and CART. The whole problem with USAC is that they were out of touch and not a forward thinking organisation. Dan Gurney, Roger Penske and others formed CART, which was owned and managed solely by the car owners and was, of course, very successful. They won their court case against the Speedway allowing them to race in the 500, and with CART having overcome the big obstacle of the Speedway, USAC as a racing series was dead within three years.

Now I'm not saying the FIA's World Championship will die in three years, but that a team based series isn't a first in the motorsport world. Also, in this F1 dispute Ferrari is a major factor, but there is no one big factor in F1 like the Indy 500 is the big factor in American open wheel. There are several important things in the F1 world, such as Ferrari, the leading drivers, the world champions and grand prix winners, and the great tracks such as Silverstone, Spa, Monza and Monaco. Both sides seem to have some of this, but to me it seems FOTA has most of it. It could be said Tony George was a bit like Max in that the Indy 500 had to be run the way he wanted it to be, just like Formula 1 races have to be run the way Max wants them. However, Max just doesn't have any major cards to play with like Tony George did.

mind u I can still see everyone kissing and making up by the end of today!
Quote from Shotglass :2011 formation lap with alan in the 35 usf1 car on pole
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 262533_94663fcd11.jpg?v=0
the other annoying lfs forum kartor snatching the lead from ukyo katayama whos racing career took an unexpected rise back to glory under the new regulations
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263049_e7698885aa_o.jpg
the new greener and more eco pace car
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263417_c926670ab3_o.jpg
the focus on mechanical grip away from aero grip will allow movie studios such as disney and warner to sponsor teams much more effectively
http://farm1.static.flickr.com ... 64263543_d188b27e9d_o.jpg

lol u bastards! TBH I wish modern karts were that bloody simple. I have to deal with friggin' key starts and all that sh1t now
Quote :So that only leaves a bunch of turnip farmers from Norfolk. And nothing good has ever come out of Norfolk, ever...

hehe, the driver you are promoting as doing well against Norfolk competition ... comes from Norfolk. They'll overrun F1 and remove all the tracks with gradients claiming it unfairly penalises them.

Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah. It's terrible that these teams that weren't going to be in F1 have officially withdrawn. Maybe that looks better on their websites over "We weren't allowed in".

Whilst I agree with you on the latter team, the first team to pull out was Lola who I think can be credited with quite a serious entry, they've not commented on the reasons they pulled out - although you could bet your bottom dollar it's because they wanted to race against real opposition. I would be very suprised if many of the reserve list teams would want to compete in the F1 that's left, and whilst I am sure some of the applications where just to give Max more leverage, I think a good half dozen where serious applications.
FIA Max Mosely is releasing a statement later this afternoon. so commentators say so keep a lookout on the websites for this press release
FP2 commentary say Mosley set to release definitive statement 'shortly'.
*shuffles around impatiently*

Whatever happens I hope at least one of the series will be worth watching, but I guess I'm leaning over to FOTA's with Lolas and the rest joining it.

edit: bloody crumbs!
#85 - SamH
#86 - 5haz
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76316

"Preparations for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship continue but publication of the final 2010 entry list will be put on hold while the FIA asserts its legal rights."
So there's the extension..
I reckon FOTA has given Mosley a right spanking over this breakaway thing. I wonder what shape Max's final salute will take?
Quote from Becky Rose :Whilst I agree with you on the latter team, the first team to pull out was Lola who I think can be credited with quite a serious entry, they've not commented on the reasons they pulled out - although you could bet your bottom dollar it's because they wanted to race against real opposition. I would be very suprised if many of the reserve list teams would want to compete in the F1 that's left, and whilst I am sure some of the applications where just to give Max more leverage, I think a good half dozen where serious applications.

If my business was put in the same positions as these teams, that is; those who didn't initially get invited to the 2010 season, but were asked to sit in a reserve list; I think at this point, I would feel like I was just being used as an FIA pawn, to try and threaten the other teams into signing a contract.

I fully understand why these teams might pull out in this sense, because why would I want my business to compete in a championship where I was always second best, before I even put a car on the road?

I for one, am quite happy about the breakaway reality. No doubt, it would be tough to form a new series in six months or so, but these teams have people that have been in the sport for so many years, collectively there is just as much - if not more - knowledge about the sport than those running the FIA.

In other slightly related news, I loved Ecclestone's interview this morning with the BBC:

"I haven't seen a press release from FOTA"
"I know nothing"
"There is no issue"
"I don't understand why there are issues"
"Speak to the FIA and Max Mosley, I know nothing"

Amusing, but also alarming. Is this guy really doing business like this? For real? What is he playing at? How is he even allowed to walk around in the F1 paddock without a load of pre-managed answers in his head? I think he's starting to show his senility, big time.
There's nothing more we'd know if he had said "no comment", so for what it's worth even if a bit misplaced, playing it down was fair play imo I agree that FIA's overdoing the scare and divide-and-conquer tactics, and hope the entirely team-managed breakoff will turn out good.
#91 - 5haz
I can imagine right now Bernie is pacing up and down his office, making angry phone calls, shouting like Father Jack at the nearest person.

Another thing, once the FOTA teams are 'liberated' and no longer have a common enemy, how long do you think it will be before they all start falling out with eachother?

Max is horrified by teams spending loads of their budget at the track, but he dosen't mind if they spend it in court.
Quote from NotAnIllusion : I agree that FIA's overdoing the scare and divide-and-conquer tactics

They seem to divide just fine, it's the conquering part that needs work
Quote from 5haz :I can imagine right now Bernie is pacing up and down his office, making angry phone calls, shouting like Father Jack at the nearest person.

Another thing, once the FOTA teams are 'liberated' and no longer have a common enemy, how long do you think it will be before they all start falling out with eachother?

Max is horrified by teams spending loads of their budget at the track, but he dosen't mind if they spend it in court.

If they put in sensible rules to govern the sport, rather than seemingly trusting it all to two mad people that pocket the profits, then there won't be much to fall out over for the next couple of decades. The usual rule bickering will still take place, but you get that in any form of motorsport that isn't a spec series (and even then, the minor mods to the basic car often cause upset).

It's primarily the two mad people that need to be circumvented, rather than the FIA itself. Having said that, the FIA is a bit too big for it's boots.

However, being French in principle, the FIA will back down, surrender and retreat before too long
Quote from dawguk :

In other slightly related news, I loved Ecclestone's interview this morning with the BBC:

"I know nothing"
"There is no issue"

Amusing, but also alarming. Is this guy really doing business like this? For real? What is he playing at? How is he even allowed to walk around in the F1 paddock without a load of pre-managed answers in his head? I think he's starting to show his senility, big time.

i think bernie's being very clever, basically he's saying "it's nothing to do with me, ask max he started it "
Quote from tinvek :i think bernie's being very clever, basically he's saying "it's nothing to do with me, ask max he started it "

Yup, the way out of this is for Max to resign, and Bernie knows it. He's universally hated by the sport and the fans, his only ally has been Bernie Ecclestone - and if Bernie is painting Max ready for the fall his days are numbered.

Question is, does that meen we'll get Montezemollo?
Quote from Shotglass :im guessing he means something along the lines of group c type regulations that allow any engine design to enter the competition thus making the cars more interesting and exciting to watch and listen to
speaking of which guess who killed group c by overregulating things

Maybe.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com ... kys-world-engine-concept/

I think that might reflect better what manufacturers want. Funny that it's not so long ago when Maxie was talking about this idea...
Quote from dawguk :In other slightly related news, I loved Ecclestone's interview this morning with the BBC:

"I know nothing"
"There is no issue"

Just classic Bernieisms.
For Williams it is pretty simple, they've got no get out clause not to enter F1, their entire business is based upon contracts to race in the FIA Formula One World Championship. They don't have a choice, and that's why FOTA kicked them out.
Prodrive can replace Williams in the breakaway series. Campos has also started asking about the possibility of joining in. Seems they'd rather race in the sun with Ferrari than under the Mosley cloud.

Teams to launch Breakaway series
(307 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG