The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :What other dimensions need to be thought about are the Junior drivers. Let's take Oliver Rowland. He is under contract at McLaren and if a new series came to fruition then surely the FIA wouldn't be overly happy that a driver licenced and racing with them is signed to McLaren. Threats of licence withdrawal for drivers signed to teams outside of F1 could be possible throwing the whole motorsport scene into chaos. And to anyone who thinks thats beyond the FIA need to remember the FIA threatened to remove Scott Speed and Luizzi's Super Licences if they competed in an American Kart Race that was not FIA sanctioned.

HHmm...

How could the FIA taking away licenses have any affect on a series they don't run? A super license means nothing if it's not F1.

The FOTA teams should move to Monoposto
Quote from tristancliffe :Best cars in the world? You havin' a laugh? Try driving one, then you'll be less excited by them (not counting post 2000 cars)

I dont want to drive one you silly boy, that isn't the point
Quote from Becky Rose :I dont want to drive one you silly boy, that isn't the point

So if you had the money and bought one, it would just sit in your living room being polished and washed by hot wet ladies in bikini?

Hmm...I like your style. But I'd still buy a Ferrari and drive it.
Hmm i wouldnt mind FOTA creating a new Championship

But what about Williams and Force India? They already signed for F1 right?
I can imagine they are starting to doubt too now.

And i was looking forward to seeing the new teams, competing with the big F1 teams, not with eachother.
#55 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :It depends really if you are talking F1, or racing history, or automotive history. For me Aston Martin is a marque that represents extreme oppulance and performance - and isn't that what F1 aspires too?

I'm pretty sure F1 aspires to making the grid at least a few times in the last 40 years or so.

Aston Martin don't really have racing pedigree. Not even the brand, really, having been more than just a little bit inconsistent for much of the 20th century, including whole decades of non-existence.

What Aston Martin has is James Bond. That's all, really.
It's the James Bond thing....all the chicks dig James Bond....

Guess you could plead a case for Bentley for it's racing history, oppulence and engineering prowess. And even the Bond link too, he drove one in the original books !

And surely you can't forget about Mercedes Benz.....and errr, Inspector Morse had one....

Best car in the world ? my money would go on Rolls Royce tbh, at least in recent years anyway.

[edit] Good god, 3 posts in the time it took me to write that.....thats embarrassing
#57 - SamH
Well if you go that way, you could argue that CASE tractors has a racing pedigree, since they bought David Brown Tractors and that's where the "DB" in the Aton Martin brand comes from. You're not just in dirty waters when you talk about brand names having racing pedigrees.. you're in a flooded graveyard. With skellywobblies.
I dont think Bond is much of an influence to me, i'm in love with the marque and it's history. Always have been, and probably always will be. Like I said i'm a fangirl, I don't feel the need to rationalise it .

Its stupid things like keeping 4 hides of leather back for each car to get an exact match when you need a replacement. The guy who checks the paintwork being brought back out of retirement to train a replacement because the £1m machine that replaced him couldnt do the job to the same standard, the friend of a previous owner asking if he could have one at cost and the owner saying "sure, but instead of £2000 that'll be £5000".

As I said before Aston Martin is about oppulance and performance, it's not so much a car as it is a dream and an aspiration.

As for racing pedigree, you do realise the name 'Aston' is a hillclimb course... They've been racing on and off since 1913. No car manufacturer can consistently claim to have appeared in a major series for 95 years, and whilst Aston's racing history is more patchy than most, that doesn't matter to me.

So yes, i'm a fangirl, they've got more history than Ferrari, and they always break down on the home stretch - but that doesn't matter, I still love them more than a girl should really love any car, but I can't help it.
Yeah. It's terrible that these teams that weren't going to be in F1 have officially withdrawn. Maybe that looks better on their websites over "We weren't allowed in".

Maybe I should Officially withdraw from F1. It'll get me in the news at least. It would be just as newsworthy.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah. It's terrible that these teams that weren't going to be in F1 have officially withdrawn. Maybe that looks better on their websites over "We weren't allowed in".

Maybe I should Officially withdraw from F1. It'll get me in the news at least. It would be just as newsworthy.

Arent they the backup for if the old teams dont sign?

If the other backup teams follow their lead, F1 will have 5 teams max
Quote from Blackout :The breakaway, if it happens, does have a lot of potential being awesome. They could bring back V12 engines

Not hard to guess which one is closer to manufacturers' (excluding Ferrari) interest, V12 just because it's awesome or small capacity turbocharged engine... I think radical engine rule change would be coming sooner than it would in current F1.
Quote from deggis :Not hard to guess which one is closer to manufacturer's interest, V12 just because it's awesome or small capacity turbocharged engine...

True, true. But could also open up the engine game allowing both.
Quote from Blackout :True, true. But could also open up the engine game allowing both.

Leading to two-tier regulations....
Quote from tristancliffe :Maybe I should Officially withdraw from F1. It'll get me in the news at least. It would be just as newsworthy.

No no, i think you should do the exact opposite. You should put in an entry form.

I think you'd easily be on pace with Fisi in his Force India !
#67 - 5haz
I feel sorry for the people behind the Abu Dhabi circuit, spend millions builing a state of the art track, and it may end up having a proper F1 race only once!

But the FIA and Bernie only have themselves to blame, bastards.
Quote from Mazz4200 :No no, i think you should do the exact opposite. You should put in an entry form.

I think you'd easily be on pace with Fisi in his Force India !

Does anyone know where I can find an entry form?

And does anyone have any money we can, err, borrow?
Quote from 5haz :I feel sorry for the people behind the Abu Dhabi circuit, spend millions builing a state of the art track, and it may end up having a proper F1 race only once!

But the FIA and Bernie only have themselves to blame, bastards.

feel sorry for them? Of all the people to feel sorry for, you choose trillionaires who may have wasted some pocket money
Quote from tristancliffe :Even more amused at his parallels between gokarting and F1, ha ha ha.

The parallels are quite clear once you actually understand the situation. A lot of the FIA rhetoric we have been hearing over the last few weeks was already experimented with in FIA-CIK karting in 2006. Major sweeping rule changes that were designed to 'cut' costs, restrict on development, and allow more independent teams to compete! Sound familiar????

http://www.cikfia.com/web/karting/webkarting.nsf/D26E53A5EDAF5BE0C1257279004952AF/$FILE/CIKFIA_Press_Conference_A.pdf

You'll also notice the concept of a 'standard' engine for all categories. This is what Max is now proposing for cars. Where'd you think he got that idea from?

Even though karting does have professional drivers and teams there really isn't enougfh commercial interest to start a breakaway championship though I am sure it has been discussed. We had angry press releases and accusations... pretty much the same as F1 now.

The reason I drew upon karting is because as you can see a lot of the what the FIA are trying in F1 they have tried in karting and with less than desirable results.
on another note did anyone else notice the outragous bias on BBC Commentary during FP1? They seemed to think the fans were against the split when in fact only 5 mibnutes browsing the web tells a different story.
Post merging/combining FTW!
If the split happens, I can only assume that Speed will cover the wrong series (the spec racer Cosworth one) or worse yet, neither. I'm sure they're chomping at the bit to add another 3 hours of NASCAR gossip shows anyway.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yeah. It's terrible that these teams that weren't going to be in F1 have officially withdrawn. Maybe that looks better on their websites over "We weren't allowed in".

my guess is they shat themselves at the prospect of actually having to build a car for next season now that almost all of f1 is gone

Quote :Maybe I should Officially withdraw from F1. It'll get me in the news at least. It would be just as newsworthy.

with the quality of teams set to enter f1 next year id guess that you stand a pretty good chance in your dallara at grabbing 5th behind williams and force india

also horner seems to stutter in text form
"and the FIA feel they have gone as as as they can"

Quote from deggis :Leading to two-tier regulations....

im guessing he means something along the lines of group c type regulations that allow any engine design to enter the competition thus making the cars more interesting and exciting to watch and listen to
speaking of which guess who killed group c by overregulating things

Teams to launch Breakaway series
(307 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG