The online racing simulator
#26 - SamH
FIA doesn't own "F1" and since Max accused Bernie of being behind the call-girl exposé I don't think there's much love lost there. This might just be a brief excursion away from the name while FOTA strikes a new, more equitable deal with Bernie. The concrete's not been poured yet, let alone given time to set.
#27 - 5haz
It'll be interesting to see where Monaco decides to go with its 'GP' in all this.
Quote from 5haz :It'll be interesting to see where Monaco decides to go with its 'GP' in all this.

The prince has already stated in interviews at the Monaco GP that they are more inclined to follow wherever the red cars go!
#29 - SamH
Quote from 5haz :It'll be interesting to see where Monaco decides to go with its 'GP' in all this.

Very good and interesting observation. Yeah... hmm... whichever series gets it will be the one regarded as the true inheritor of motorsports history.
What other dimensions need to be thought about are the Junior drivers. Let's take Oliver Rowland. He is under contract at McLaren and if a new series came to fruition then surely the FIA wouldn't be overly happy that a driver licenced and racing with them is signed to McLaren. Threats of licence withdrawal for drivers signed to teams outside of F1 could be possible throwing the whole motorsport scene into chaos. And to anyone who thinks thats beyond the FIA need to remember the FIA threatened to remove Scott Speed and Luizzi's Super Licences if they competed in an American Kart Race that was not FIA sanctioned.

HHmm...
Quote from SamH :The concrete's not been poured yet, let alone given time to set.

I think it's all mezzanine
I seriously think the FOTA might win this. The only good driver left in F1 will be Nico Rosberg and the cars will probably be much slower with half the technoledgy.

It will take a few years to steal the F1 Fan base but its possible expecially if they have all the prestegious names, the best drivers and the most technoledgy.

The question isn't who has the four words but which series is the pinnicle?

Of course F1 can be saved if max drops the rules, and BTW didn't Max say he will quit by the end of this season? maybe this is his plan to leave FIA by destroying F1.
#34 - SamH
Quote from deggis :Because...?

They wanted to get rid of him when the Nazi fetish scandals came up.

(the actual site was posted on LFS before it exploded into the media)
#36 - SamH
Quote from deggis :Because...?

It's a fair question, but so is the suggestion. If you review Mosley's plethora of ridiculous ideas of late - among them classics such as standard Cosworth engines across the board!? The question is more.. if NOT trying to destroy F1, what WAS the objective in making these devastatingly significant changes to F1 regulations?

Teams themselves wanted to reduce costs, just as Mosley did, but the rate of reduction that Mosley wanted was just not feasible. Ferrari aren't rejecting the €40 cap because they're bull-headed, their entire business model and sales strategy revolves around their F1 pedigree.

All the manufacturers in F1 were actively seeking to cut costs, but their multi-year involvement in the sport and the result of that involvement as it translated to brand status and car sales just couldn't be arbitrarily tampered with on-high by the FIA. Mosley simply couldn't dictate such mammoth corporate restructuring and he HAS to have known that.

If it was NOT a deliberate attempt to break F1's back, what WAS it?
Quote from Mustafur :They wanted to get rid of him when the Nazi fetish scandals came up.

They? Teams? So instead of just punishing the teams, he decides to kill a source of income for FIA?

Quote from SamH :It's a fair question, but so is the suggestion. If you review Mosley's plethora of ridiculous ideas of late - among them classics such as standard Cosworth engines across the board!? The question is more.. if NOT trying to destroy F1, what WAS the objective in making these devastatingly significant changes to F1 regulations?

Answer is here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76254

Truth is somewhere in the middle probably, but tbh I find this more truthful than FOTA's statements.
YAY F1 as we know is saved!

Seriously. Even though it won't be Formula One World Championship, but who cares. All the teams and drivers will be in it, we got Silverstone back and I understood the new series will run along with motogp so tracks should stay the same. Perhaps we will get Canadian and US GPs back as well.
Quote from deggis : How can the new series that does not exist yet have history?

The participants have the history. The FIA just has a name. The FIA itself has none of F1s history really. That's all down to the teams.

Amused that Alan thinks the drivers just want money to be in F1. Obviously the 'Pinnacle of Motorsport' (or at least the single seater platform) is lost on him. Even more amused at his parallels between gokarting and F1, ha ha ha.
Quote from tristancliffe :The participants have the history. The FIA just has a name. The FIA itself has none of F1s history really. That's all down to the teams.

Amused that Alan thinks the drivers just want money to be in F1. Obviously the 'Pinnacle of Motorsport' (or at least the single seater platform) is lost on him. Even more amused at his parallels between gokarting and F1, ha ha ha.

Agreed, most of the Drivers dont care how much they earn they just want to be in in the Pinnicle of Motorsport.

The money is an added bonus.
#41 - 5haz
Whats this with Silverstone being part of the breakaway series, is this speculation or is it confirmed?

As well as Monaco, Monza would help if it was part of the breakaway, and seeing as Ferrari are part of it then the tifosi will follow, imagine an FIA GP at Monza without Ferrari, there would be about 5 people there to watch!

It's like with CART and IRL, IRL was weak at first, but it had the Indy 500, and in the end there was nothing CART could do, it tried the US500 at Michigan but obviously that had none of the history of Indy.
Quote from 5haz :IRL was weak at first, but it had the Indy 500

Which has lost all its former significance except for those that do not watch the rest of the season. The Indy 500 gets as many viewers as the worst NASCAR race. Indycar series gets as many viewers in The Netherlands as it does in the US (about 250000).

IRL is still weak, so weak that it will cease to exist after the 2011 centennial Indy 500. The idiot grandson will pull the plug unless it starts to make a profit, which it will never do.

People trying to fix series, that aren't really broken, just for personal gain is what is destroying racing. We've seen it with CART/IRL, and we'll see it with F1 now.

If somebody would turn the BRL into a European series, I bet it can take on the roll of NASCAR in Europe.
Is F1 bigger than Ferrari? Well, not outside of Italy. The tiffosi is noteably quiet this year with Ferrari's lacklustre performance at the start of the season, they're a fickle lot, but I think the comment above about Monaco following the red cars says it all.

For me, there is another name in motor sports that is bigger, more historic, and more important than Ferrari. I'll be resting my cap on Aston Martin. The FIA told them to booger off a few weeks ago, along with Lola who said "sod the lot of you we wont enter now regardless" and several other teams.

Tristans comment about F3 teams is partially valid, but it is odd that some genuinely capable teams where sent on their way - and now the FIA desperately want them back, Lola is the first to say "no".

If Aston Martin do still enter, i'll be watching them regardless. Otherwise i'll be watching whatever series the red cars are in, and probably chearing them on to defeat (there have been times i've liked Ferrari, but not in the last 5 years).
#44 - 5haz
Quote from TagForce :Which has lost all its former significance except for those that do not watch the rest of the season. The Indy 500 gets as many viewers as the worst NASCAR race. Indycar series gets as many viewers in The Netherlands as it does in the US (about 250000).

IRL is still weak, so weak that it will cease to exist after the 2011 centennial Indy 500. The idiot grandson will pull the plug unless it starts to make a profit, which it will never do.

People trying to fix series, that aren't really broken, just for personal gain is what is destroying racing. We've seen it with CART/IRL, and we'll see it with F1 now.

If somebody would turn the BRL into a European series, I bet it can take on the roll of NASCAR in Europe.

Well I mean IRL was relatively weak, and then strong, relative to CART.

How many people turn up to watch the Indy 500 though? I'm sure its a fairly substantial amount.
Quote from Becky Rose :For me, there is another name in motor sports that is bigger, more historic, and more important than Ferrari. I'll be resting my cap on Aston Martin. The FIA told them to booger off a few weeks ago, along with Lola who said "sod the lot of you we wont enter now regardless" and several other teams

Aston Martins motorsport history bigger than Ferrari ? you being serious ?

In the two years they entered F1 they amassed a grand total of zero points. And their participation in other forms, most notably GT series and Le Mans has been, at best, sporadic.

What i really think you mean is, you've got a bit of nepatism mixed in with a James Bond stylie daydream wishful thinking-ism. So you're a fan of the romanticism of the marque and all it stands for in your own mind, moreso than it's racing pedigree ?
The breakaway, if it happens, does have a lot of potential being awesome. They could bring back V12 engines and have several races in the same country (think Italy and tifoso) or have anything they like. I'm sure tracks can be arranged easily if you don't demand the 276 billions per race like Bernie and if you can bring a spectacle.

I don't care about the name, as said, the history has been made by the teams and drivers not FIA. Having 3 F1 World Champions on the grid is not bad for promotion though.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Aston Martins motorsport history bigger than Ferrari ? you being serious ?

What i really think you mean is, you've got a bit of nepatism mixed in with a James Bond stylie daydream wishful thinking-ism. So you're a fan of the romanticism of the marque and all it stands for in your own mind, moreso than it's racing pedigree ?

In the automotive industry Aston has plenty of pedigree, their racing pedigree has come and gone - most noteably because of Aston Martin Lagonda's unique history as a manufacturer that never once made money until the year 2000. Aston achieved outright victory at Le Mans once, Lagonda before the merge a further 3? times. As a marque they go back as far as any other, further than Ferrari.

They are the best cars in the world, period.

It depends really if you are talking F1, or racing history, or automotive history. For me Aston Martin is a marque that represents extreme oppulance and performance - and isn't that what F1 aspires too?

F1 aspires to be like Aston Martin Lagonda, not the other way around.

Yes, i'm a *fan* of the marque, an unreasonable unconditional fangirl, hell bent on seeing one of the oldest most historic names in automotive history competing at the pinnacle of motor sports and retiring from the lead in the last 5 laps (something of an Aston tradition).
Best cars in the world? You havin' a laugh? Try driving one, then you'll be less excited by them (not counting post 2000 cars)
I think it's interesting.

I'm not worried, I'm quite certain that next year there will be a "top flight" series to watch, featuring the majority of the current teams and drivers. I think it's likely that FOTA consulted their drivers before committing to this, they won't all jump ship.

Teams to launch Breakaway series
(307 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG