The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DaveWS :It's underpowered, geared too long, unstable under braking due to the open diff, oversteery on corner entry, understeery mid corner, oversteery on corner exit, and has horrible tyres which feel like they are made from plastic.

Edit: I'm getting some stuttering with iRacing during the races, partically at the corkscrew, which makes things interesting. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm getting framerates around 70 + normally, so it's not like my PC is struggling to run it. I'm gessing it's lack of memory, and the HDD is having to muck about with the pagefile or something.

Edit 2: Regarding the Skippy, I like cars which are tricky to drive and rewarding, especially the LX6 in LFS, but the Skippy is really just a tub of crap.

I don't really mind those flaws, IF the turn is flat... As soon as it has any meaningful camber, even partial throttle won't help you, only flat-out through (turn 10 @ Laguna for example)...
Some thoughts from a real Skip Barber racing driver about the Skip Barber in iRacing (it`s from august 2008):

I picked up the SB RT2000 car and VIR today. This was my first experience with this car and this track ikn the sim. As I've driven the RT2000 at VIR in the real Skip Barber series I thought it would be a good way to test the realism.

My first impression was that in first gear the car didn't accelerate fast enough. But when looking at the 0-60 time, which is about 4.5 secs, I came to the conclusion that it was pretty accurate. The lack of g-forces is probably what I'm missing.

The car seemed very twitchy out of the box. Far more so than it is in real life. The back end wanted to come around on acceleration in almost every slow corner. This never happens in real life, at least to me anyway. I checked the garage settings and saw the rear tites were way over infalted. After fixing this the car was much more settled and much closer to the real thing.

With that one rear tire pressure setting change I was then able to get down to my real life lap times in just a few laps. So I'd say the track and the car are very well modeled. However the baseline setup is, in myopinion, way to inclined towards oversteer. So fix those rear tire pressures fast - at least at VIR.

This brings up one point which is in real life Skip Barber doesn't allow any changes to the car set-up, so why does the sim?

One final point - since you can't feel any g-forces, the esses, especially thre fast ones, are pretty boring in the sim, and easily flat out. In real life you feel like you are about to fly off the track at each change of direction - so it takes much more commitment to take them flat out. In fact I've never been able to do so!

So that's my 2 cents. I'd give the track and the car a 98 out of 100.

(after a few more laps)
Ok, after a few more laps I'm upping my rating to a 99 out of 100 for this car.

The sound is absolutely perfect in my opinion. They have the all the whines and rattles in there!

With the tyres properly inflated it handles just like the real thing. If you keep your foot down through the fast sweepers, it's really solid, but back off a bit and you will probably spin.

The rev limit seems a bit high at 6,500. SB usually recommends shifting at no more than 6,000 because the engine starts loosing power after 5,800. So it could be that I always shift around 6,000, and therefore think that's where the rev limiter kicks in. I'll have to check that next time I'm in the real car.

So it's getting more fun each session. Now I just need to do a race.
thanks Richard...... From a few posts I looked at on the iRacing forums and from a private chat with someone that worked for SB< they said the improvements have made it a lot better still in terms of some of the characteristics.

Can't beat someone's analysis like that I guess...
Quote from DaveWS :Edit: I'm getting some stuttering with iRacing during the races, partically at the corkscrew, which makes things interesting. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm getting framerates around 70 + normally, so it's not like my PC is struggling to run it. I'm gessing it's lack of memory, and the HDD is having to muck about with the pagefile or something.

For stuttering, try enabling FPS limiter without V-sync. First try setting it equal to your screen refreshrate, then drop down from there until you find sweetspot where it's still smooth gameplay but no stuttering even on Silverstone.

I've set mine to 50fps because I'm using 100Hz and that seems to get rid off tearing as well.
Quote from DaveWS :
Edit: I'm getting some stuttering with iRacing during the races, partically at the corkscrew, which makes things interesting. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm getting framerates around 70 + normally, so it's not like my PC is struggling to run it. I'm gessing it's lack of memory, and the HDD is having to muck about with the pagefile or something.

I got rid of stuttering by reducing the number of sound streams in the .cfg file. Search on the iracing forums, you'll find plenty of different suggestions you can try!
Thanks for the suggestions regarding my stuttering issue guys. FTR I currently have v-sync off (I hate steering lag more than anything else in a sim) at have had the fps capped to 85 fps, which is perfect for testing / qualifying sessions.

I'll have to try the sound thing after the Easter break when I get back to my rig.

Quote from spanks :One thing about live for speed cars is that you have infinite ways to adjust your car and make the "perfect" setup.

Driving a car like the skippy with massive flaws that are just there by the nature of the car...it makes it a bit more fun to just master the character of the vehicle then to tweak the differential 23 times to get the perfect preload so the rear end doesn't fly around on you on entry, but you don't understeer because you've tweaked 100 other things.

That's a very good point actually, the setup I think is the main issue (especially not being able to change the open diff).

One more thing about iRacing, why is it that no matter how far under the limit you drive, the tyres ALWAYS produce a tyre scrub / squeal sound??
Quote from DaveWS :One more thing about iRacing, why is it that no matter how far under the limit you drive, the tyres ALWAYS produce a tyre scrub / squeal sound??

All US Cop programs have the cars squeal at every opportunity I think Dave Kraemmer used to watch Kojak a lot as a kid and the Rockford Files...
If you pay attention the squeel is different at what level of grip you're at. Its very helpful to give you a better idea where you are in relation to the limit and how the car is going to react. Its exaggerated to help compensate for the lack of g forces.
well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson
Quote from tinvek :well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson

Hahaha, nice one
Quote from tinvek :well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson

lol

I know the difference, although that probably comes from spending so much time here and having watched every episode of Top Gear.
Quote from DaveWS :Thanks for the suggestions regarding my stuttering issue guys. FTR I currently have v-sync off (I hate steering lag more than anything else in a sim) at have had the fps capped to 85 fps, which is perfect for testing / qualifying sessions.

I'll have to try the sound thing after the Easter break when I get back to my rig.

Before you do that, simply try lowering the gfx memory slider in-sim if you haven't already done so. That helped me (and many other people) to get rid of stutters. The default setting is too high for some of the tracks. 400-410 seems to be a good value on a 512MB card f.e.

And the skippy is pure awesomeness!

(I haven't driven it in a while, though, because I don't have enough time to commit to more than one series.)
there's an iRacing for the IPhone... now calles Race Wars
Driving Mazda is like jerking off to a picture of this really hot supermodel, which in theory should be all good and fun but you also happen to know that she used to be a dude...

Skippy while perhaps not being as sophisticated or have the perfect "aerodynamics", she is still plenty of fun to go around the "curves".
Quote from Crommi :Driving Mazda is like jerking off to a picture of this really hot supermodel, which in theory should be all good and fun but you also happen to know that she used to be a dude...

Skippy while perhaps not being as sophisticated or have the perfect "aerodynamics", she is still plenty of fun to go around the "curves".

ROFL... that made me laugh but I'm not really sure what you mean by the Mazda analogy! What picture did you jerk off to then realise it was a dude?
It just an analogy

What I ment about Mazda, it's fast openwheeler with some downforce, basically my favorite kind of car and I've tried hard to enjoy it... but just can't.
Quote from Crommi :It just an analogy

What I ment about Mazda, it's fast openwheeler with some downforce, basically my favorite kind of car and I've tried hard to enjoy it... but just can't.

Weird... I've grown to really like the car since I got it and it's probably my favourite in the game..... what don't you like about it the most?
Hey, a hot chick is a hot chick, no matter what she was before
Just went on to do a race but I think the member site is down, or at least it is for me.
That's good news indeed
yeah, i heard a lot of people asking for paypal. what;'s funny is some people don't see the pt of adding paypal because they are so caught up in hating iracing :P. Hopefully we get some interesting roadcars and tracks soon... my subscription runs out in august and money is tight...
Quote from Gabkicks :what;'s funny is some people don't see the pt of adding paypal because they are so caught up in hating iracing :P.

Perhaps actually they don't see how adding Paypal reduces the cost of iRacing, which is their issue with iRacing.

People don't hate things they don't know, not rationally anyway, so I'd suggest that what you think is people hating iRacing is actually them hating their inability to afford iRacing, or people resisting what they perceive as either a relatively expensive sim to play or a product that you effectively rent rather than purchase.

Hate iRacing? That's reserved for those who have tried it and simply don't connect with it, and that being the case and the matter being a subjective one, you can't force them to like it if they don't, or criticize them for it either.
I still will not be purchasing iRacing (over and over again) because after trying it, I can't justify why this sim should cost an endless amount of money, when there are a couple of sims out there that can offer just as much enjoyment for a fraction of the overall costs that iracing has.
Quote from SamH :Perhaps actually they don't see how adding Paypal reduces the cost of iRacing, which is their issue with iRacing.

People don't hate things they don't know, not rationally anyway, so I'd suggest that what you think is people hating iRacing is actually them hating their inability to afford iRacing, or people resisting what they perceive as either a relatively expensive sim to play or a product that you effectively rent rather than purchase.

Hate iRacing? That's reserved for those who have tried it and simply don't connect with it, and that being the case and the matter being a subjective one, you can't force them to like it if they don't, or criticize them for it either.

It's not that, but people just bashing iRacing and attacking it at every opportunity. the same people over and over again when they haven't bothered to try the game once. People can have their opinions, but having some validity to their opinions would be nice too.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG