The online racing simulator
Quote :Transporter 3 - godawful, just crap in its purest form, and is it just me, or did the chase scenes look like 15fps in lfs..

Not to mention that balding idiot plays in it. I've only seen no1 by chance, hoped for decent car action - at least on par with some of the stuff in the driver movies, but sadly all you get is, once more, that balding idiot.

Quote :The Incredible Hulk - not bad at all, Ed Norton is good ...

Somehow it didn't register. Maybe the girl in it annoyed me by saying over 40 times "it's going to be ok" in that whispery faux-sensual voice. Maybe the cinematography in it sort of went by like a music videoclip - not entirely sure. Luke-warm and without fizz I'd say, unlike other action hero movies seen around. The Ironman tie-in made me hopeful for the sequel.

One movie that sort of surprised me was JCVD, turned out much better than I expected considering that I'm not a Van Damme fan by far.

City of Ember was enjoyable family post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi film. Loved the setting and costume design. Fallout fans will love some of the bits towards the end.

Further on the post-apocalyptic front I also enjoyed Le Dernier Combat - a bit on the artsy side, but in a good way. Had some original elements to it.

In the meantime in Traitor, the war on terror still goes on. Enjoyable, realistic action to it and a fairly decent plot with equally realistic development.
Quote from gezmoor :Which version did you watch? The "Directors Cut" version is far far better than the original cinema release.

The "Director's Cut".
RocknRolla
I've seen RocknRolla, after the horrible failure at serious filmmaking that Revolver was, Ritchie tries to go back to his roots and fails miserably.

Whereas Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch displayed such beautifully textured writing (especially the former), I can't help but saying he lost his knack for intricate stories with little or none loose ends.

It's just Ritchie desperately trying to copycat himself: starts too slow with a copious amount of overdubbed dialog which in itself should've made a bell ring within the mind of the Guy about the quality of the script. The characters are so bland you can't really feel for anyone of them (and there are too many of them, most of which add simply nothing to the end result) - mind you this was not a strong point in his previous features but some of the characters had some kind of superficial coolness which made you like them nonetheless.

Part of the magic was also the sheer fun of the rollercoaster kind of plots he came up with - but that's gone too, after Revolver and this one it's clear Ritchie doesn't want or manage to be funny anymore.

All in all I think I'll avoid wasting time on more films by the same director.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Ronin is a bit slow in places? Did you notice that 95% of Death Proof is terrible dialog with no plot at all, or were you too busy staring at the white trash talentless hookers

There is a plot even though its pretty lame. The story is a about the retired stunt man played by Kurt Russel. Yeah the girls are just there for eye candy & some girl power revenge, but it was the Holly Valance lookalike dressed in a yellow cheer leaders outfit that did it for me .
Quote from de Souza :The "Director's Cut".

I believe they've renamed it to the "Final Cut" , though I haven't seen it so I can't confirm it's the same version as the one called "Directors Cut".

But anyway, if the version you watched as a voice over narrative all the way through the film then it's the original cinema version. The narrative gives the film a completely different edge and feel and makes it more of a detective story than the Sci-Fi film it was originally intended to be by the Director. Hence the "Directors Cut" gets rid of the narrative and changes the dialogue in places and changes the ending.
Quote from evilgenius :geezmor.. what do you say about the Stargate franchise ?

I liked the first couple of series of SG-1 the best, but it slowly went down hill. The spin-off "Atlantis" is watchable but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

Quote :
Oh, I too read alot about the Blade Runner versions, so which one is the definitive one to see first ?

IMO the Directors/Final Cut version is the best, see my post above. But it may not be yours of course.
Quote from NightShift :All in all I think I'll avoid wasting time on more films by the same director.

I watched Lock Stock (who didn't) and I thought it was very good. But the second I saw the trailers for Snatch I just didn't see the point of seeing the same film with a different name. As for the rest, they didn't even register with me.

I think Richie is trying to live an alternative persona through his films. Or trying to give himself some "cred" by creating the same film over and over again.
gezmoor I see where you're coming from and but all in all Snatch is so fun and different enough from LSaTSB I couldn't really complain about it

Revolver however was so bad it actually looked like the studio just said ok let's have him commit artistical suicide.

Regarding that last bit you quoted, out of context it really does sound a bit harsh, there are so many crap movies out there with unbelievably good reviews on the 'net, that would make RocknRolla look like a masterpiece in comparison.

However I'm not overly patient with artists, when one has a couple misfires I usually assume he lost the touch (especially movies since they take so long to make), and like the OP said there are so many titles out there, it's statistically inevitable there's at least one other movie you haven't seen yet which is more worthy than this one unless one's Ritchie's biggest fan.

For one I've seen How to Lose Friends and Alienate People with Simon Pegg of Shawn of the Dead fame, and despite it being a quite formulaic comedy, there's still enough juice and funny moments that it came out as a better way to spend time in front of the TV than RocknRolla for me. Since they are so different, a direct comparison would be apples to oranges and I'm only meaning it on a personal level.

PS: forgot to comment on this bit

Quote :I think Richie is trying to live an alternative persona through his films. Or trying to give himself some "cred" by creating the same film over and over again.

IMO after the failure which Revolver was, he's only in for the cash. I can clearly play this bit in my mind where the studio executives are telling him, hey you screwed up royally with Revolver now you're going to do what we want.
Just saw "The Dark Night" and have to say it was excellent. Never been much into the Batman thing, but that movie got me addicted.
I was convinced to watch Revolver despite the reviews, and despite not liking Lock Stock or Snatch particularly either.

There are worse films, it's not like it's let down by utterly abysmal acting (that's not to say it's Oscar winning stuff), or that it has no story whatsoever to tell. Perhaps it's trying to be too clever, too serious, too much relying on "twists" and surprises, back-stories and sub-plots all coming together at the end, and it just doesn't quite achieve what it hopes to. Many poorer films (imo) have been more successful.

If I may contribute something else, I saw Ironman recently, finally.
It's alright, not sure what the fuss was about really, utterly predictable from the outset, well - as soon as you see Jeff Bridges, and as soon as you see Gwyneth Paltrow you know almost exactly what's going to happen. That was a let down, the plot is about as formulaic as it comes. The only part I liked was the escape, but it's quite a leap of faith. Slightly lazy writing to say "they just don't notice them doing it, even when they suspect they're not doing what they're supposed to".

The let-downs are similar to those in Transformers. It's as if someone thought the plot holes and absurdity are acceptable because we have these awesome effects. I hope the sequels of both films have much more coherent and complete story lines.
What do you guys say about Ultraviolet ? I for one, just couldn't watch it, fast forwarded through a few times, and thought, well that the director, kinda made alot worse version of his movie Equilibrium
which IMHO was a rather good sci-fi movie.
Oh... The Machinist
was pretty interesting to wach the delussions of one man, and trying to puzzle together what's happening, + how the main character looks is just :o ..
Bigger Stronger Faster

"There is a clash in america* between doing the right thing and beeing the best." is what really sums it up pretty much for me.

Good documentary. Worth a watch.

*This is just an example.
I'd like to recommend the website http://whattorent.com .
I discovered the site via a german website ( ehrensenf.de ) and so far it's given me a couple of very solid titles. I'll chew through them as soon as I have the time.

Vain
I've asked for titles that are a little different from my normal taste and wine/festival/very depressing, it's spitting title after title of films that I've either already seen, and a relative little amount of movies that I know about but likely won't see anyway.

So far the only ones which were totally wrong were a couple of Fellini's and The Virgin Suicides thats left me dreaming of an alternate reality where the director had killed the scriptwriter and then commited suicide herself.

And since we are on the topic, when it suggest an overrated PoS you've seen and totally loathed (such as Pi), is it better to reply "already seen this one" or "never come up with this crap again" ?
Quote from majod :Slumdog Millionaire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

I dont think it's as good as they say....

Its BETTER!!!!!! Brilliant movie, fully deserves every award it gets...and more!

For the people with young (teen) daughters, I recommend sticking them in front of a TV with Twilight ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/ ) showing...you will have guaranteed peace for just over two hours.
Emmy has already seen it about 50 times, and has it classified as her favouritist film of EVVAHHH!!!!
Quote from Bladerunner :For the people with young (teen) daughters, I recommend sticking them in front of a TV with Twilight ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/ ) showing...you will have guaranteed peace for just over two hours.
Emmy has already seen it about 50 times, and has it classified as her favouritist film of EVVAHHH!!!!

Do you tell her to press "play" after you've exited the room?

Btw, the vote distribution clearly shows this is exactly the movie you describe: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/ratings

Recently watched Le Samurai, it's quite some fun with trenchcoats, fedoras and assassins mixing and matching.
Pride & Glory

One of the best "dirty money" movies
Watched "The boy in the striped pajamas" on the weekend. Could have been better.
Knight rider 2008

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG