The online racing simulator
Vanilla sky = rip off of 'Abre los ojos' (Open your eyes), see the original one if you have the chance, its much better.

Same with 'REC' (original) and 'Quarantine' (rip off).
Quote from BurnOut69 :Vanilla sky = rip off of 'Abre los ojos' (Open your eyes), see the original one if you have the chance, its much better.

Same with 'REC' (original) and 'Quarantine' (rip off).

Not sure "rip off" is the right term
A remake made right after the original, with the same script but hollywood actors is a rip off in my book, but feel free to call it 'version'
Abre los Ojos is far, far superior to Vanilla Sky, no question. Much creepier as well.
Another case like that is Infernal Affairs vs. The Departed.
Twelve Monkeys - Although a really weird movie, it is somehow addicting to watch lol, saw it the other night on BBC and thought it was a good movie.

I'd also recommend The Rainmaker and Cypher
Quote from danowat :Liam Neeson was more wooden

IMO Taken is beyond all considerations on acting, it's basically what a security guard will jerk off to, speaking with all respect due to all the sane guys who work as security guards.

Quote from The Very End :Planning to see Vanilla Sky, has anyone seen this and got some thoughts about it?

Basically it has only two nice things in it, the first few sequences (Everything in its right place etc), and one quote which I won't tell you in case you decide to watch the movie.

Quote from BurnOut69 :Vanilla sky = rip off of 'Abre los ojos' (Open your eyes), see the original one if you have the chance, its much better.

Since there are at least two people claiming ALO is massively better than the remake, I will offer my contrasting opinion:

Vanilla Sky is better acted and photographed, while ALO is very low budget and besides deserving the credit for the story (which isn't exactly thrilling however if you've read your share of SF anyway), it's not a movie I'll ever consider watching a second time.

Quote from Xaid0n :Twelve Monkeys

It's a classic, if you liked the mood be sure to check out Brazil by the same director.
I remember being dead bored with Vanilla Sky. It's just way too easy to figure it out.
It took me a lot longer to figure out e.g. Fightclub.

Vain
A couple that I would recommend for those who are tired of rehashed blockbuster garbage:

Luis Bunuel's "Un Chein Andalou" (Salvador Dali also had a hand in this one)

Woody Allen's "Love and Death" (read some Dostoevsky first)

Tom Tykwer's "Lola Rennt" (Run Lola Run in the states)

And by garbage I'm not referring to anyone's post specifically, it just seems like the industry ran out of ideas a good 10 years ago and great movies are few and far between these days.
Quote from titanLS :Tom Tykwer's "Lola Rennt" (Run Lola Run in the states)

Great little movie, I also really loved Winterschlaefers from Tykwer (Der Krieger und die Kaiserin didn't really cut it for me), both are completely different from Lola anyway.
Regardless, foreign language films aren't mass market.
Quote from danowat :Regardless, foreign language films aren't mass market.

Then again, good movies aren't either.

Vain
I find its very easy to be snobby with movies
It's also very easy to discard anything which need subtitles on it Lotsa good movies are not in english and will never be.
Quote from danowat :I find its very easy to be snobby with movies

VERY easy. Almost as easy as with audio equipment

I watched 'Sex Drive' the other day, rated 7/10 on the DB which means it fell into my 'worth a watch if its free' category (cinema films must be >8). Quite enjoyed it actually, fairly poor story and ending, but a fair few laughs along the way, which was really all I was looking for to fill the evening
I find it's very easy to call people snobby when they disagree with your opinions.
Just watched Gran Torino , epic performance and directing by the legend himself
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I find it's very easy to call people snobby when they disagree with your opinions.

Its also very easy to lambast someone when they disagree with yours

But I digress.

Bottomline, subtitled films in english speaking countries AREN'T mainstream, that is how it is, of course, its maybe not how it should be.

Me personally, I am a FILM fan, I really dont care if its subtitled, mainstream whatnot, if its good, its good, I'd never not watch a film because it had X in it, or was directed by B.

There are a certain set of film fans who think just because something has subtitles its good, and its those same set of people who wont watch film Y because (delete as required) Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves etc etc are in it.

I prefer to make up my own mind
Quote from danowat :Regardless, foreign language films aren't mass market.

I find that to be an odd and mostly-out-of-place statement. I even back-tracked quite a bit in the thread to try and see how it tied in. Perhaps I'm missing some clue, which isn't something new.

All American films are foreign language around here but they do appear to be mass market. Also, consider the amount of Chinese or Spanish-speaking people on the planet and your idea of "mass market" will change drastically. But, more to the point - what does "mass market" have to do with anything? * [post edited further down to reflect danowat's interim reply]

Anyhow, movies I enjoyed recently:

Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" - can't really go wrong with a boat full of Steinbeck characters - and oddly enough I kinda fell for "High Noon", a really typical western that somehow sort of stood out differently to others of the same era I've seen in the past, or maybe it was the wine talking.

Watched a few of the movies already recommended here. I was quite surprised with "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" - we watched them in reverse sequence to what I wrote just now - and the effect was pretty strong. Totally different to what I expected really as I hadn't read a thing about those two. "The Escapist" and "Doubt" were highly enjoyable flicks as well for totally different reasons each: the former's ambience, especially the audio work, was amazing and the latter's conflict of characters despite there not being "much" going on was quite compelling and actually forced the viewers to take sides, something I guess you get with good acting.

Further on we went through "The boy in the striped pyjamas" - interesting semi-alternative approach on the story of concentration camps. Not having read the book the movie left me with a sense of the story being sort of a soppy guilt-driven deal but that's probably just my knee-jerk reaction to the abundance of Holocaust related films.

Sometime later this week I'm looking forward to some mindless over-the-top violence with Punisher War Zone.

* Ah - so that's what you were driving at. Yeah, I kinda share the same view - only difference is that I will be cautious to approach movies from directors or actors that have let me down in the past; and if they do let me down again, well I just blame myself until next time.
Quote from xaotik :
Anyhow, movies I enjoyed recently:

Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" - can't really go wrong with a boat full of Steinbeck characters .

nice to see someone who watches the old stuff, have you ever seen the remake called lifepod? from 1993 (not the horrible film of the same name that i recorded by accident the other day thinking it would be the one i wanted) it gets a lot of stick but once again it's pretty good on the charector stakes and the way the villain dies has semi haunted me since i saw it.
Quote from tinvek :nice to see someone who watches the old stuff, have you ever seen the remake called lifepod?

No, I haven't. And since it sounds like a space-themed movie from the title I am instantly compelled to check it out.
Quote from danowat :its those same set of people who wont watch film Y because (delete as required) Tom Cruise, Keanu Reeves etc etc are in it.

You're lumping everything together, what can be perceived as snobbish can be broken down to two entirely different types:

Posers are those who say 'I watched this' 'I ditched that' because doing so projects a certain image upon them. They have no clue of what is what because the only thing they're interested in is how people look at them.

The other type are people who have a limited amount of time (who hasn't?) and can't really see everything. Those will have to make choices so there's an easy technique.

You follow artists that look genuinely good to you and mark as crap those who let you down (basically what xaotik said) e.g. Tom Cruise besides looking like a creepy person and a wooden actor, is often in interesting films, e.g. Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, and so on. So whoever skips movies with him in them, is obviously going to miss something sooner or later.

If the choice is between watching a disproportionate amount of drivel (well Cruise does not really fit in this example) and missing something, payoffs are obviously going to lead the person to miss something from time to time.

It's easy to pass as a snob because many popular artists play it safe and capitalize on their success. E.g. Nicolas Cage.
Just seen The Watchmen. Absolutely fantastic, one of the best films I've ever seen.

It's lo-o-o-o-ong, but there was no point at which I realised it had been going for ages and was gettying impatient for the end.

And it has to be said: DANGLY BLUE PENIS!

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG