The online racing simulator
Quote from The Moose :Maybe you could try explaining what exactly is wrong with the gearbox simulation with the engine running?

+1

I don't see anything major and i don't even think it was brought up in any of the beta testing which say's alot ay Moose

There was plenty of bug's found and fixed.
Quote from titanLS :I seem to be running out of gas or something... I qualify, and then the car just dies on lap 1 or 2 of the race. Then I can't restart it in the pits, nor can I find where to add fuel in the garage. I'm sure once I learn the ropes all these little "immersion" features will be fine, but starting out it's a PITA. Main? Click. Ignition? Click. Car starting? Nope. Gas? Who knows...

Overall it feels good, still getting used to it. Catching slides seems overly easy in the 1600, and using the brakes to turn the car or trim mid corner speed does seem to induce an unrecoverable spin as per Trsitan's post.
Gearbox feels fine to me.

I do like the trackside flags though...

its right there in setup1 i think.... The option "fuel tank" right next to the litters you choose for the tank
Quote from The Moose :Maybe you could try explaining what exactly is wrong with the gearbox simulation with the engine running?

ill try to ignore that you called me a troll despite me complimenting nkp for getting its act together netcode wise

anyway
1) you cant "preload" the shifter
2) shifting up is completely hit and miss for me the only way to get remotely consistent shifts is by using a button clutch (and even that doesnt always work for reasons i cant work out at all)
3) the button clutch doesnt work with autoclutch on for reasons i cant figure out either
Quote from titanLS :I seem to be running out of gas or something... I qualify, and then the car just dies on lap 1 or 2 of the race. Then I can't restart it in the pits, nor can I find where to add fuel in the garage. I'm sure once I learn the ropes all these little "immersion" features will be fine, but starting out it's a PITA. Main? Click. Ignition? Click. Car starting? Nope. Gas? Who knows...

Overall it feels good, still getting used to it. Catching slides seems overly easy in the 1600, and using the brakes to turn the car or trim mid corner speed does seem to induce an unrecoverable spin as per Trsitan's post.
Gearbox feels fine to me.

I do like the trackside flags though...

lol at the starting the car procedure description It's all in the manual. dead easy once you know it.

Fuel is under the 'setup 1' tab.

Must be a setup thing with the so called "unrecoverable spins" I cant say I've had a problem with that.
Quote from spyshagg : its right there in setup1 i think.... The option "fuel tank" right next to the litters you choose for the tank

I found it, of course, right after I posted.

As for the gearbox I don't seem to be having any problems whatsoever shifting.

Yeah I haven't bothered to alter the default setup yet. It just seems like the brakes turn the car WAY too much once the car is already set.
Quote from The Moose :Must be a setup thing with the so called "unrecoverable spins" I cant say I've had a problem with that.

Or a driver problem! I'm not leaving that unconsidered at the moment.

Can't give you error messages, because I didn't write them down. But they seem to have stopped now :S Anyway, had a play in all the cars at Silverstone (offline) just now. Can't get the hang of these old fashioned wingless cars just yet (I see Copse, I know I don't have wings, yet I still seem to go into the corner like in real life. And then I crash!).

I'm going to concentrate on the Target probably, as it's quite close in many ways to the car I'll be racing in 2009. Sure, it's got a 6-Speed box, a little more power (15-20hp more), and it's [meant] to run much closer to the ground, but it's a Dallara F3 car, and they haven't changed all that much really since 1994. If I can master that in nKP then maybe, just maybe, I'll hit the ground running when I test the real thing! If only Snetterton wasn't as inaccurate as it is...
Quote from Shotglass :
2) shifting up is completely hit and miss for me the only way to get remotely consistent shifts is by using a button clutch (and even that doesnt always work for reasons i cant work out at all)

This in the FF's everyone btw.

Shifting up is modelled perfectly. It's all about timing. You dont need to clutch at all, just lift and shift at the right revs. I can do it 99% of the time. I do miss one occasionally under pressure.

With the clutch button pressed i can flat shift, every time, no problem at all.

See Tristans post a few pages back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's driver error i'm afraid.

Quote from Shotglass :3) the button clutch doesnt work with autoclutch on for reasons i cant figure out either

The reason being, nKPro doesn't compromise. You use a clutch(or clutch button) or you use autoclutch. That's your choice. Theres no reason whatsoever to need a clutch and autoclutch at the same time. Just because LFS does it doesn't mean it's right. But as i said, the only time you need a clutch in the FF's is for pulling out of the garage and starting the race.

But of course, if you've read the manual you already know that
I've got a question about shifting. Does there seem to be some sort of lag between button press and the car actually shifting? The lag isn't as big on the upshifts, but it's quite noticeable on downshifts. Perhaps .3 of a second or something, as opposed to imperceptably instantaneous.

I'm open to it being driver error, but if the revs aren't right, it should be a denied shift rather than a lagged one.
Quote from tristancliffe :Or a driver problem! I'm not leaving that unconsidered at the moment.[<snip>]

[/<snip>]If only Snetterton wasn't as inaccurate as it is...

Could be driver, could be setup, could be the physics still need tweaking. Who knows

Well, glad to hear your enjoying it somewhat by the sounds of things You must join us for some FTarget racing sometime. I should have scrounged some setups by then
I'll try and arrange some racing for fellow LFS'ers, would be fun, and better than driving with the noobs out there in demo hell

Pity about the inaccuracy's of the tracks, but that the same for every sim except 'that other one' You get what you pay for i guess. I'd so love to see tracks of iRacings detail in nKPRo, but unless one of us wins the lottery to fund them i cant see it happening
Quote from The Moose :Shifting up is modelled perfectly. It's all about timing. You dont need to clutch at all, just lift and shift at the right revs. I can do it 99% of the time. I do miss one occasionally under pressure.

im afraid it just isnt
shifting in real life is nowhere near as intricate as this and unlike in nkp you can put pressure on the lever before you lift off
nkp simpli ignores every input unless youve lifted off (even if the engine isnt running at all) which isnt a realistic representation of how a gear box feels

Quote :With the clutch button pressed i can flat shift, every time, no problem at all.

even then you have to time the shift up press perfectly right after you press the clutch or nkp will complete ignore that you presse shift up at all

Quote :See Tristans post a few pages back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

i cant find any post of tristan referin to the gearbox

btw i also get the understeer then load of oversteer if i touch the brake ever so slightly... load sensitivity in the tyres being far off maybe?
Is it better than lfs? Ive never played it! does lfs have competition with nkpro?

regards john
Wow, this game/sim is not made for me. Didn't like it at all. I'm probably not "hardcore" enough.
Quote from Mattesa :I've got a question about shifting. Does there seem to be some sort of lag between button press and the car actually shifting? The lag isn't as big on the upshifts, but it's quite noticeable on downshifts. Perhaps .3 of a second or something, as opposed to imperceptably instantaneous.

I cant say i've noticed a problem, but it probably depends on your equipment as well.

If your using a clutch to shift then it might be something to do with the clutch speed timings. If you use an H shifter you may have to adjust things as well. I cant really help you if that's the case as i have neither

Just took a test run to see if i noticed it and i find that lifting and shifting up there is an almost imperceptible delay. Blipping and downshifting was perfect, so if anything i have the opposite experience to you.

I guess it could just be timing or a tweak of the setting thats needed. Sorry i cant be any more precise.
Quote from Shotglass :unlike in nkp you can put pressure on the lever before you lift off.

Call me crazy but wouldn't this require a FFB shifter? Or at least one with some form of resistance before the click? No matter what nkp does I will never be able to preload my Momo shifter.

Anyway, I've no problems with the shifting. Let off gas, shift. Simple as that.
Autoclutch off? Let off gas, clutch in, shift, clutch out. Seems pretty accurate here.

Quote from Shotglass :btw i also get the understeer then load of oversteer if i touch the brake ever so slightly... load sensitivity in the tyres being far off maybe?

I've yet to mess with the setup or bias at all. I'm assuming that once I do this trail braking oversteer will disappear. Hopefully. Of course it could be that I suck and have only driven this thing for 40 minutes....
Quote from Shotglass :i cant find any post of tristan referin to the gearbox

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1018154#post1018154

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and i'll hold my hands up.
All the feedback I've heard leads me to believe I'm right on this though. As I've never driven one I cant say for sure either way. All i know is people that have driven them say it's very well done.

You sure ask a lot of questions for someone that will never buy it.
Quote from The Moose :I cant say i've noticed a problem, but it probably depends on your equipment as well.

I'm using the stick on the G25 in sequential mode. Looks like I'll be messing around with the settings a bit to see what's up. There isn't any steering wheel lag for what that's worth.
Quote from jjones :Is it better than lfs? Ive never played it! does lfs have competition with nkpro?

Its not competition for LFS, just like iRacing isn't competition for LFS. I see it as just another sim any single seater fan should have in their collection. Have all three sims, they complement each other as they all provide a different experience.
its my opinion that when simulations reach such a level, very little tells them apart. I'm talking about driving only.

About the rest, some things netkar does better (I feel more immerse in nk, the car bounces really believably) and others lfs still does much better (the entire online component in my opinion).

Graphics wise, nkpro really needs an artist because everything looks way way too dark. Nothing in plain daylight should look that dark and sad. LFS graphics seem simpler but the colors composition is spot on.
Quote from titanLS :Call me crazy but wouldn't this require a FFB shifter? Or at least one with some form of resistance before the click? No matter what nkp does I will never be able to preload my Momo shifter.

to do it properly yes but imho lfs does reasonably well with the fbm gearbox
it feels a lot more like how i move the selector forks when i dont feel like caring about my gearbox in real life... granted its a synched h type but the mechanics arent really that different

Quote :I've yet to mess with the setup or bias at all. I'm assuming that once I do this trail braking oversteer will disappear.

i dunno the touch the brake needs to completely unsettle the car seems so light that the setup would have to be utterly rubbish despite looking perfectly reasonable

Quote from The Moose :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1018154#post1018154

ah that... i think ill dare to disagree with the trist

Quote :All the feedback I've heard leads me to believe I'm right on this though. As I've never driven one I cant say for sure either way. All i know is people that have driven them say it's very well done.

it might not be completely off the problem for me is that it feels so much like

on button_press
if throttle > 60%
ignore button_press
end if

that id be willing to bet that this is exactly how its implemented
Ok, I set my "Brake Multi" to 80% and my braking issue is gone. At 100% I was just getting too much force early on in the travel.

Does the demo allow for add-on track usage online?
Quote from zeugnimod :Wow, this game/sim is not made for me. Didn't like it at all. I'm probably not "hardcore" enough.

Hey you didn't do bad at all in the DBP server Zeug!

Truly loving the game, just need to figure out server commands now
What's with the oversteer when you tap the brakes going around a not so tight corner?

I'm not sure whether I like the game yet.
Quote from niall09 :What's with the oversteer when you tap the brakes going around a not so tight corner?

game???? It's a SIM
Quote from niall09 :What's with the oversteer when you tap the brakes going around a not so tight corner?

Look two posts up. That fixed it for me.
Quote from titanLS :Look two posts up. That fixed it for me.

Nope.

It seems ridiculous, go to Aviano gp circuit and into T1 or T3 - brake at about 70% in a straight line and watch the car slide. If that happens in real life, I'll eat my hat.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG