The online racing simulator
Stalking in LFS
(220 posts, closed, started )
Like with most problems on public servers, the only real solution is to drive on private hosts. Try to take part in organised races. It doesn't have to be a league, there are enough just-for-fun-races where you can just hop in and drive.
This is ridiculous. Everyone, whatever gender, should be able to play LFS freely.I find it awful if you can't without some perv with his hands down his pants following you (OK random).

I totally have your side on this and yes, i may be 13 (and freaking Becky out a bit by about now) but I've got a gob (or in this case, finger) and if I see this happen to anyway they'll be in for it.

Becky it must be hard for you. Did you get the name of the driver at all.
Becky, can understand your frustration. Anything like this is unacceptable and should be reported to Scavier. Stalking is not legal in the US and there are laws against this sort of thing in the UK. I doubt that this would stand up in court, it being a game and all that, but its still online communications and at least some of that is covered (obviously people are from different countries though).

Im pretty sure that behavour is covered in the LFS agreement that you click agree to when you sign up, therefor Scavier would most likely issue a warning with the threat to dis-continue the account of the offender.

Some people have said that creating a thread is not a good idea, giving more coverage to the twat that did it, however, more coverage is a good thing. The more blokes that read this will be a bit more carefull with their "Eh, theres a chick in the server!!" reaction. Which is institutional sexism (where its built in to society).

I must admit, we were in our server the other night when another girl came in. I was instantly curious as to how a girl comes about getting into something thats almost completely male orientated, but instead of jumping on her and asking her all sorts, we got on with racing. She wasnt familer with the track, so she buzzed around until she got up to speed. All normal sort of behavour for any person in LFS. I dont see the problem there, but I can see that young males wouldnt be able to contain themselves as they are used to the internet being a breeding ground for this sort of behavour.

So how do you continue?

1. Keep your name
2. Keep at it
3. Save replays and send them to Scavier
4. Give as good as you get - might not always work - but comments like "FFS cant a girl race in bloody piece?" might just make the semi-mature kids think about what they are doing (obviously not all of them though, but thats where the replays come in).

Maybe we could start a internet based elite-hacker-vigilanty-style group of people that take them down when this happens? Naa thought not, that would be illegal too... if we got caught... hmmmm {deep in thought now}

Anyway take it easy, dont let it get to you and keep at it.

Mind you wtf do I know, Im a bloke!
Quote from lowgoods :Sorry, but I've the feeling that you actually like this role and to discuss it again and again...

Becky must be psychic, cause she replied to this even before you wrote it. Read post #70.
I just watched the replay my friend saved and it's the one were I had had enough and logged off and isn't very incriminating at all because i'm not there for almost all of it, however it did allow me to get the persons LFS world name and after a seriously hard moral dilema over whether to post the offenders name without really being able to back things up with hard evidence which took me all of 3 nanoseconds, the users LFS World Name is "RAMM".

I cant show a replay of the activities, but I am about to turn on automatic replay saving for next time.
Welcome to the internet, home of perverts and retards. If you don't like something IGNORE IT, there is a block message function. Find a server with people you like. Do what andre does and create a server and password it with ur friends and play.

Bitching And Moaning Here Will Not Solve Your Problem - It makes you look pretty pathetic if you let something like this defeat you.

Go Cry To Myspace.
RAMM. Well name says it all really huh.

EDIT:I just saw your post bahrain. Do you want to STFU. If you were being stalked you wouldn't like it.
Wahooing time?

Quote from Krane :Or maybe we should add all these hornystalkers to the banned wreckers list. That would work much better than changing playername which is not going to help anyway since A,) do you think they haven't already thought of that? they could've simply changed their name and be done with it and not post rants to a forum to find other ways to stop the stalkers (shame/flame/peer pressure etc). B,) blocking someone is not helping if the stalker(s) follow you on the track or follow even after you change servers C,) there's LFS username you can't change and THAT is the name they use to do the stalking.

That is why, IMO, the IB wrecker barricade should be a global .ban file. Also, the following sorts of people should be added to the global ban list
  • Stalkers
  • Racists
  • All sorts of other sorts of t0ss3rs that should grow up

And, Spudster started a thread about a racist server.

Quote from nuttyboy :This is ridiculous. Everyone, whatever gender, should be able to play LFS freely.I find it awful if you can't without some perv with his hands down his pants following you (OK random).

I totally have your side on this and yes, i may be 13 (and freaking Becky out a bit by about now) but I've got a gob (or in this case, finger) and if I see this happen to anyway they'll be in for it.

Becky it must be hard for you. Did you get the name of the driver at all.

I agree. Just replace the bold 3 with a 4 for me.

If this happens or anything similar (god forbid *) on an OSR server (well, we have an occasional non-dedi at the moment, a 24/7 might start soon hopefully) e-mail the team with the name and a replay and we will take pleasure in A) Lifetime banning them, B) Telling every other server admin we can find and sending them the replay and asking them to ban them. This applys to everyone.

*why the hell am I saying god forbid, i'm an atheist
Quote from nutty boy :RAMM. Well name says it all really huh.

EDIT:I just saw your post bahrain. Do you want to STFU. If you were being stalked you wouldn't like it.

STALKING DOESN'T EXIST ON THE INTERNET. GET A GRIP.
Say whatever you want Duke. Doesn't matter if your an athriest. (lol)
Okay this is getting a bit 'out there' now. This is nothing more than a name and shame thread. The guy hassled you while you were driving. I see it happen to guys as well. There's no need to go and make a thread about it.

How many of the LFS 'aliens' get hassled by others for their setups, driving advice, and things like that? I'm sure they get annoyed by it but they don't come here making threads. (I hope I didn't just create a new topic ) They have 2 choices, comply or ignore.

Quote from Becky Rose :Besides witch, if threads about overtaking, blue flags and T1 are allowed to be repeated during the forums history - why can't I have a rant when i've just got offline after being harassed?

And how many times have you told them the threads are pointless?

I've watched you handle yourself on a server before. You don't seem the meek and timid type so I don't see why you're letting some 'omg it's a girl' muppet get to you. Come on, be serious now. You even admitted yourself the majority of these guys are nice. Don't let one muppet cause threads like this.

@tristan: there's a bit more to it than that.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
Quote from bahrain :Welcome to the internet, home of perverts and retards. If you don't like something IGNORE IT, there is a block message function. Find a server with people you like. Do what andre does and create a server and password it with ur friends and play.

Bitching And Moaning Here Will Not Solve Your Problem - It makes you look pretty pathetic if you let something like this defeat you.

Go Cry To Myspace.

Thats a pretty closed mind you have there. What happened to common decency? If someone stops you in the street and says "damn you is ugly man, how the f*ck can you go out looking like that?" Do you just ignore them and keep walking? (ok maybe you do if you think they might have a knife or something, but get my point)

Ok so the internet can be a shitty place, however when someone agrees to be bound by conditions in a written contract, clicks the button, then they are bound by those words in most countries. If you see something that breaks those rules then its only fair to report it and have it dealt with in the correct mannor.

Saying the internet is a crappy place, ignore it is fine for completely rule-less areas. This is LFS dude.
Quote from bahrain :STALKING DOESN'T EXIST ON THE INTERNET. GET A GRIP.

Oh yes it does! Linkage.
Its not just gender(speaking about online games in general) but anything else they can use to antagonise a person.
Race/age or if you dare to type in another languague some fool will start.

I know its sucks but I would set up a second license with a neutral name and nick and keep the gender setting to male.

Race as Becky in private servers and use the other for public, the internet won't change until people can't be anonymous.

Be anonymous yourself, and you take away all their wepons, it will remove a
lot of hastle.
Quote from ButterTyres :Thats a pretty closed mind you have there. What happened to common decency? If someone stops you in the street and says "damn you is ugly man, how the f*ck can you go out looking like that?" Do you just ignore them and keep walking? (ok maybe you do if you think they might have a knife or something, but get my point)

Ok so the internet can be a shitty place, however when someone agrees to be bound by conditions in a written contract, clicks the button, then they are bound by those words in most countries. If you see something that breaks those rules then its only fair to report it and have it dealt with in the correct mannor.

Saying the internet is a crappy place, ignore it is fine for completely rule-less areas. This is LFS dude.

Generally the people who walk around my streets can string a coherent sentence together.

Posting threads like this just draws attention to the fact you're infact a woman and you're easy to annoy.

I suggest you stop being so melodramatic, this is LFS, did he track you down and sit outside your house waiting for you to return? NO ITS ONLINE YOU ****ING MORON.
Quote from -wes- :...if you dare to type in another languague some fool will start.

I'm the fool that would start. I hate it being in an English server, the internet is English in general, and you don't know what they are talking about. It's just a form of being polite.

In my school there are a lot of turkish students, and sometimes you can really get ticked off because you start thinking they talk about you or something, and you don't understand them... Kinda the same thing. It just brings a whole lot of (unneeded) frustrations. Sorry for the O/T, but I had to react to this.
Quote from bahrain :Generally the people who walk around my streets can string a coherent sentence together.

Posting threads like this just draws attention to the fact you're infact a woman and you're easy to annoy.

I suggest you stop being so melodramatic, this is LFS, did he track you down and sit outside your house waiting for you to return? NO ITS ONLINE YOU ****ING MORON.

You're starting to go over the line... Online stalking does exist. Stalking is when you keep bothering a person, unwanted, and the "attention" becomes annoying or brings fear to the person. That means it can go by letter, phone, coming to someones house, internet, ...

I wonder what your problem with this is anyway? TinyK lets people see she's a girl very clearly, and I think that's a good thing. She (or Becky), shouldn't be harrassed for being a girl, no matter what way it is done.
Quote from duke_toaster :Oh yes it does! Linkage.

bleh.

Quote from wikipedia :A cyberstalker does not present a direct physical threat to a victim, but follows the victim's online activity to gather information and make threats or other forms of verbal intimidation

This is a game, not a chatroom.
Quote from bahrain :bleh.

If I would come to your house day by day, you would get annoyed, probably. If you file a complaint, the police would say that I'm stalking you. But I still wasn't a physical threat... But you wouldn't like it, would you?
Quote from Grivage :OT alert

Psycho wat was your nick on 1nsane. They are still playing on Gamespy every night.

For anyone interested in Quickie this page provides full details.

And yes he does indeed kick arse at 1nsane

Sorry for OT

The same as I am now, just minus the 7331 spelling
I played 1nsane on Gamespy for a bit, but I spent most of the time in private games with the guys from IG.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :That is quite amazing, especially because I played 1nsane for about a week, was brutally bad at it, and sold it to my friend. I can't even imagine how much practice and detirmination that would take for him.

I couldn't believe how amazing he is, at any racing game for that matter.
#97 - joen
Quote from bahrain :Welcome to the internet, home of perverts and retards. If you don't like something IGNORE IT, there is a block message function. Find a server with people you like. Do what andre does and create a server and password it with ur friends and play.

Go Cry To Myspace.

Perverts and retards exist in real life as well. Everytime you encounter something that effects you in a bad way in real life, do you just turn your head and stick your head in the sand? That way nothing will ever change.
The internet isn't any different, you make it sound like the internet is some alternate reality or something. Guess what, the retards on the internet are retards in real life. And I don't mean mentally disabled people, I just mean idiots which you refer to as retards.

And Becky has already mentioned numerous times that the chat remarks were not the main thing, it was the wrecking and following her to other servers. Why should anyone have to limit his or herself to a password protected server just because some ass doesn't know how to behave? Should someone who is being harassed in real life just stay in their house and not go out anymore?

I do agree that although the stalking probably had some sexual motivation behind it everybody encounters idiots in online gaming, male or female.
Its funny, I just realised I've been using the internet since Bahrain was 2. Nuff said.
As I already said before, I see no reason to consider stalking and cyberstalking different, judging from my personal experience. Worlds can collide. It happens rarely, but it happens.
I did some research on cyberstalking. And cyberstalking is the same as regular stalking, and also punished the same way. Only difference is, is that cyberstalking is done by electronic mail or other electronic communications. So if you stalk someone by LFS, you're stalking via electronic com.

So unlike you, most countries have laws which see cyberstalking as equal to real life stalking. And I think the laws are still more important than someone's mindless thoughts.
This thread is closed

Stalking in LFS
(220 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG