The online racing simulator
Stalking in LFS
(220 posts, closed, started )
Stalking in LFS
I've had this a few times now, previously I wrote a post "How to pull a girl racer", today i'm just going to bitch and moan because i'm no longer in the mood to laugh about it.

It starts with something like "Becky Rose - are u a girl?" and is quickly followed by more questions.

Typically I will ignore this questioning. Sometimes I reply with something like "no, actually i'm a dumper truck", but if i'm already out on track I really am not interested in your curiosity - I log on to race not to be chatted up by some French [not always French, but was today] twazzok.

Then the really annoying stuff starts, I find myself with a shadow car. Today I was playing with the GT cars which are a bit alien to me, so I was learning the handling and the combo and endeavouring to stay out of everyones way - which I did quite well, started from the pits and held back at the start until I was comfortable and so on ... but there it was the whole time, a black car in my rear view.

Sometimes it would pull alongside and we'd crash, sometimes it would pass and then slow up, othertimes I would make a mistake (either because i'm a newb, or because I was avoiding it) and then it would stop on track and wait for me.

The whole time i'm getting more questions from the driver behind the wheel of this mysterious car asking about me and demanding replies.

After a few races, and other drivers commenting on my lap times (which courtesy of a complete lack of clean laps where a good 20 seconds off most of the time) todays driver decided to rename himself ... as me.

Sadly there was no admin and no voting on the server in question so I was unable to do anything about him, until eventually my patience snapped and when he begged me to say 'something' to him I replied, "I'll say one thing to you and one thing only: **** OFF".

Unfortunatley this never solves anything, other than making a few people laugh.

This is not the first time another player has done this, and I doubt it will be the last as it happens every couple of weeks. From time to time, like today, I just have enough of it. I was racing that server because I had a friend on that server - but we had to move elsewhere because of him, luckily todays stalker didn't follow but the usually do.

As before I expect for the next two months i'm going to get lots of "funny" posts when I log on referencing this post, I did last time, i'm bloody sick of that too as yes I have heard them ALL before.

I would just like to log on and race and most of the time I can, but I would ask if you see someone behaving like this toward one of the few women online that you stick your neck out on the line and verbally slap the up-tight-virgin down because I for one could use a little moral support against this kind of behaviour when it happens. Vote kicking never really works (hense many servers dont allow it) and if an admin isn't about there is just isn't anything that can be done, from my end I feel isolated and vulnerable with my only option being to find another server (usually they follow) or just log off - and that isn't what LFS is about.

And no I dont want to race with an anonymous name like "BR82" and no i'm not asking for it. The problem isn't my problem and i'm not encouraging it. I dont want a male alter ego ... I just want to log on and race.
I had someone join the server back in ye old demo days and change their name to mine. Now that p****** me off so much I got kicked by people for being an a*******, which i find rather ironic....
Excuse me Spudster, but I would think that Becky Rose has passed far uglier moments than you do. This is not a simple impersonation.
Becky, I would suggest you to save the replays. Mind you, I'm not saying that you should publish them, just keep them. Have them ready for the people who may be able to help you.
Sexism is, for me, the worst form of classism, even worse than racism. I don't tolerate it and I don't condone it. And I act consequently, doing what I can.
Quote from Albieg :Excuse me Spudster, but I would think that Becky Rose has passed far uglier moments than you do. This is not a simple impersonation.
Becky, I would suggest you to save the replays. Mind you, I'm not saying that you should publish them, just keep them. Have them ready for the people who may be able to help you.
Sexism is, for me, the worst form of classism, even worse than racism. I don't tolerate it and I don't condone it. And I act consequently, doing what I can.

I'm not saying that my experience was any where near as bad as her's...

BTW, if you do have the replay, put it in the iB Blocking System. Forgot the link...its somewhere on this forum...
Quote from Becky Rose :(...) I would ask if you see someone behaving like this toward one of the few women online that you stick your neck out on the line and verbally slap the up-tight-virgin down because I for one could use a little moral support against this kind of behaviour when it happens.

You got my support. In case I see stuff like that happen, I'll definitely do my best to stop it.

I would do the same for a boy, of course .

Edit: yep, as spudster said, iB the replay and I'm sure most server owners will ban that idiot. Here's the link: http://www.teamccuk.com/wreck/
That guy couldn't possibly know what it's like to be a woman and you don't know what it's like to be a man.

Society teaches different rules, actions and what's acceptable for the two genders, simple as that. It was tough luck for you to be in the receiving end this time, but I can assure you males get equal amount of crap in everyday life.
Quote from Becky Rose :...but I would ask if you see someone behaving like this toward one of the few women online that you stick your neck out on the line and verbally slap the up-tight-virgin down because I for one could use a little moral support against this kind of behaviour when it happens.

You, along with all of the other females, have my support. Fortunately the worst I've seen online is a couple people cutting the track and 1 person actively trying to block the track. I haven't come across such situations as you have described, but if I do, I will say something.

Quote from spankmeyer :Society teaches different rules, actions and what's acceptable for the two genders, simple as that. It was tough luck for you to be in the receiving end this time, but I can assure you males get equal amount of crap in everyday life.

Screw society. I decide what actions are acceptable for myself, not somone else. Be it a god, a politician, the media or my parents. Although I agree males take just as much crap as females do. Seems to me though more males can just shrug it off and it doesn't bother them (us?) as much, in general.
I suppose that's just what it's like for girl gamers on the internet. I hate it when I go to the pub and have loads of hot girls all hanging around and bothering me, but what can you do?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I suppose that's just what it's like for girl gamers on the internet. I hate it when I go to the pub and have loads of hot girls all hanging around and bothering me, but what can you do?

Tell them to piss off?
That's part of the reason TinyK is rarely seen on track - people try and bump her, and just cause accidents. Back in S1 she used to drive a lot more, and she's quite good, but the geeky male population of the sim has driven her to more admin based roles (on public servers; I gather she still drives a lot of private servers with dSRC).
I'd say send the replays here with some small description - http://www.teamccuk.com/wreck/

Then server admins will review the case, well thats my knowledge of it
#12 - Gunn
Sexism aside, if the guy is shadowing you constantly and marring your performance, he's playing disruptively, he's wrecking you. Toast time.
It's anti-social behavior. there are no excuses.

there are many kinds of idiots in LFS, most of them young males, show them a girl and they don't usually have a clue how to act.
Uh Hi... Ms. Becky, Is this the same person doing this to you all the time?
I read your post, but after skimming the replies, I kinda forgot...

It seems to be a fact of life with females & internet gaming.
Weirdos that would normally be too intimidated or lack self confidence
to approach females IRL now have the power of high speed anominity.
Then others (i've seen this happen) think that just because a female
chats with them, that they have this special type of bond or something...
really creepy stuff.

I dunno, I've flirted with females a few times online, but that was it and they knew it and it's all in fun. But what you're describing is pretty out there.
If you got a replay, I'd save it and complain directly to the devs about it.
Anyways, I hope it doesn't put you off LFS because of this freak.
I tell you....I really can't figure people out somtimes. Why would someone be sad enough to spend their time follwing someone else like that?! I'm guessing there must be cobwebs in the underwear department or something but my god must they be desparate to think they can chat someone up on a games server! LOL TBH, just be glad it's all anonymous and is not happening in real life, but even so, it's damn annoying to have your racing ruind by some tosser. Definitely save the replay and send it to someone. It's a shame to hear that Tiny hardly races now. I used to spend ages on the dSRC servers and raced her a number of times. I remember someone getting banned then though for inappropriate comments!

Just to lighten things up a bit though.....this thread is an ideal opportunity for this picture which made me laugh :P

omgagurllawl a/s/l got pix?Lolololol!!11oneone

It's funny, but when I used to play games using my real name I got that because people assumed I was a girl. The people who do it scare me... a lot.

Generally most males think that if they hang around with a girl online they might get sexed up out of it, which is sort of sad to be honest. It also kills the female gaming community, it took me moths to get a lass from uni to play games online after all the crap she used to get, asking for nude pictures and such :/

Anyone who is harassing anyone online, regardless of sex, should have their account suspended, or at least get a warning first, then if they don't stop a suspension.

Quote from ArosaMike :they be desparate to think they can chat someone up on a games server!

I used to spend a lot of time flirt with the females I gamed with, but then I did know them. Though I do flirt with women a lot, that's just because it's fun and all involved (I hope) know it's nothing more then having fun.
There is a block messages button for a reason, stop drawing attention to yourself and you wouldn't have a problem. People are ****s to other people all the time, why do you deserve special consideration? Not that I want to come off as rude, but it seems like you are just attention whoring with this thread as much as the people who you say are stalking you.
Just tell them you are a monster that lives under their bed!!!

OR

Just tell them you like bunnies and little birds, like tinyk does, that scared me away
Becky, you have my sympathy.

It sounds like an extremely frustrating situation. You're effectively put in a position where you either have to become the Emily Pankhurst of LFS and fight for female players' rights to not be harrassed, or you have to hide behind a neutral / male pseudonym. Neither of these options are fair, but sadly one could get pretty old waiting for random people on the internet to behave reasonably.

It seems to me that if the little bastards can't get the small stuff right (like braking into T1) then they're not going to get the big things like gender equality right either.
Quote from BrandonAGr :There is a block messages button for a reason, stop drawing attention to yourself and you wouldn't have a problem. People are ****s to other people all the time, why do you deserve special consideration? Not that I want to come off as rude, but it seems like you are just attention whoring with this thread as much as the people who you say are stalking you.

Because the guy isn't just harassing her on the chat, he's following her on the track, and ramming her off at times. Certainly no LOOK AT ME attitude here.

"Sometimes it would pull alongside and we'd crash, sometimes it would pass and then slow up"...

Nuff said.
I know a few female mate of mine have given up on gaming due to events such
as this. not on LFS tho (they hate racing games unfortunatly) but things like
CS:S and COD2. They would have half the team following them just because
their name was a girls name.

I for one dont see the point in shit like this. Wow, a girl is playing a game, so
fookin what? Arent girls alowed to pick up a game and be good at it? And
following them just because their a girl is technicly stalking (virtual or real) as
they are in a way, invading your private space, especialy if you move server and
they follow, as i would imagine would freak you out / get on your nerves. I would
say name and shame them, then they will fook off.
I usually never notice or bother if I see a "girly" name or if in fact I do know the person is a girl. I get online to have fun and relax, not stir up hell on the other end. Maybe because I'm a guy but I say shrug it off, don't be mean just ignore them. Just be thankful this isnt CS or Halo, you'd have no guys on your side
Quote from Infiniti :I usually never notice or bother if I see a "girly" name or if in fact I do know the person is a girl.

That's another good point. Signing up and playing with a girl's name online is enough evidence to 'stalkers' already :doh:. It's not common, and easy to be curious IF the person is really a female.
This reminds me of in S2 Demo (before S2 release), I was in a server and there were "HORNY BLOND GIRL#1" and "HORNY BLOND GIRL #2" and people were all gaga and gogo over them, it was funny because while they were all over "her" they were losing to 3 of the worst drivers, those 2, and then me, who couldn't keep the XRT on the road. I do have to be honest, when I first went into the dSRC server and figured out tiny was a girl, I was kinda *bleh* like Becky explains, but not to that drastic of an effect, but its the whole curiosity, it wears off after you get bored, and just wanna race with them.

Then sometimes I stalk Tweak... :P
This thread is closed

Stalking in LFS
(220 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG