The online racing simulator
"Wrecker Barricade"
(199 posts, started )
Curious...

I don't have my S2 license yet, but when I do, I've a few computers laying around (as well as a sever attached to a T-1 line at work that wouldn't miss a bit of processing power ) that I'll probably install deticated servers onto. And when I do, I'm planning on joining the wrecker barricade . (As it stands now, I have to manually kick/ban people from my friend's server. He only runs it when me or him are around admining, so we have clean racing most of the time. But we've actually gotten a few regular visitors!)

Anyways, my question is, when I join... What about all the people previously added to the list? Do I get a massive spam of e-mails about every wrecking inccident prior to the date I sign up, or will I only get e-mails henceforth (and thus, not block people banned on several other servers because of their history of wrecking)?
Quote from Shinrar :Anyways, my question is, when I join... What about all the people previously added to the list? Do I get a massive spam of e-mails about every wrecking inccident prior to the date I sign up, or will I only get e-mails henceforth (and thus, not block people banned on several other servers because of their history of wrecking)?

you get emails about new reports, and can access a database of the old wreckers
^^ What Jak says. Also, a couple of ban files have been made available on the database by barricade server admins, which are based on the reports previously made to the barricade. You can download one of those for some instant protection, while you get up to speed and review those reports
Quote from SamH :.... Also, a couple of ban files have been made available on the database by barricade server admins....

Managed to download Burnsy's file and open with the ban editor no problem But when I try to download your file, I get the message 'the page cannot bee found.
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

How much penetration does the Wrecker Barricade have in 24/7 servers ?
Are the developers on the email list ?

Can they help with promoting the iB ? (ad banners etc.)
Are persistent offenders losing there licences?

Quote from Turbo Dad :
Managed to download Burnsy's file and open with the ban editor no problem But when I try to download your file, I get the message 'the page cannot bee found.
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.'

My error. I've added .ban to the MIME types for our new server. If you try again, it should download. Let me know if not

Quote from Turbo Dad :How much penetration does the Wrecker Barricade have in 24/7 servers ?

It's pretty good, although there are some team servers that I wish were members but aren't yet (the latest report being a good example)

Quote from Turbo Dad :Are the developers on the email list ?

Nope. They have access to the database, which I've provided for information, but the barricade is a community solution to a community problem and doesn't pretend to be a solution to an LFS business decision (which an actual Dev-initiated ban would be).

Quote from Turbo Dad :Can they help with promoting the iB ? (ad banners etc.)

Good thinking, Batman! I'll ask! They do run banners supporting the community, rather than commercial banners, which I've always thought was really cool
Quote from Turbo Dad :Are persistent offenders losing there licences?

If members are vote-banned too often from servers, I know they get warned by email, and banned if they persist. That mechanism is separate from the Barricade, but in an ideally barricaded world, where all server admins were members of the barricade, the net effect of the barricade would be the same as the Devs' solution.
I have the lazy method of being an iB server. I get Sam to run the server and Sam to run the ban file. Totally effortless First class...
Quote from SamH :...and doesn't pretend to be a solution to an LFS business decision (which an actual Dev-initiated ban would be).

Surely it's not good business to have disruptive users annoying your customers or future clients(a friend ,who was thinking of purchasing ,was watching last night)
Quote from SamH : If members are vote-banned too often from servers, I know they get warned by email, and banned if they persist.

I notice a lot of wreckers disconnect before the ban vote is complete , therefore negating this system.

Perhaps placing a link to the barricade beside the dedicated host download
(With a clause like they have for Join2LFS 'mentally but not technically supported by LFS.' )
Quote from Turbo Dad :Surely it's not good business to have disruptive users annoying your customers or future clients [...] I notice a lot of wreckers disconnect before the ban vote is complete , therefore negating this system.

I agree that it's obviously not good for LFS when wreckers get going - who could disagree? But the actual extent of the impact wreckers have on LFS, and what the devs do in response to those individuals is entirely their shout. We have to defer business decisions to the businessmen.. it's literally their business. If wreckers quit the server before a vote ban is completed, you can always fall back on the barricade report with the MPR of them wrecking. If they're bad enough to be banned, they're usually bad enough to be reported to the barricade.
Quote from Turbo Dad :Perhaps placing a link to the barricade beside the dedicated host download
(With a clause like they have for Join2LFS 'mentally but not technically supported by LFS.' )

That sounds like good placement to me, if there were to be an official link anywhere to an unofficial barricade

Perhaps before I approach them on this one, I'll sort out a domain name for the barricade with 5 years longevity.. plus some good web-based information on what the barricade is and does.

I don't honestly know how the devs feel about the barricade, because I've never asked. I presume they're not opposed to it, but it should always be remembered that the barricade is created and driven, and wholly exists within the community of LFS drivers and server admins
Quote from Becky Rose :...

As it is using the LFS dev's models, tracks etc AND bringing LFS in disrepute, AFAIK they could ask Google to remove the files and/or take legal proceding against Mr Metalhead or Google (the latter being unlikely). Using the first part - however - could make Google remove all LFS videos. But the second is more likely anyway.
Quote from duke_toaster :As it is using the LFS dev's models, tracks etc AND bringing LFS in disrepute, AFAIK they could ask Google to remove the files and/or take legal proceding against Mr Metalhead or Google (the latter being unlikely). Using the first part - however - could make Google remove all LFS videos. But the second is more likely anyway.

Or just rate it as obscene due to the language.
-
(ChrisColeman) DELETED by ChrisColeman
Quote from ChrisColeman :I dont think Im banned anywhere though.

I think there's a continuing problem on your account, Chris. It appears you haven't done what's necessary to secure your LFS account at all and your account has been reported to the barricade today with lots of supporting evidence.

Have a look here and read closely.
-
(ChrisColeman) DELETED by ChrisColeman
It's up to the individual servers how they wish to proceed - whether they ban you, or unban you. Until you read and follow the guidance in the link I posted, I don't think that anything at your end is likely to change. This post, and the posts following it are most relevent to you. Until you secure your PC and prevent unauthorized access, I won't be risking our servers I'm afraid.
I've been and gone and created 3 banners for the Barricade. Please use them, if you can!

Great Banner
Hey Folks!

Thanks for the Banner, i´m having it on allready.

Honorary Consule
Excellent idea... though by the look of this thread. Its well and truly dead

One post in 4 months.

On my server... I'll ban ppl for more than wrecking. Racism such as that wanker Danistheman (lmao) would definitely get banned (in fact has been).

V
in no way is it dead, its just on another site for server admins ONLY

If you want access, PM SamH
#143 - Dru
Quote from Venus :Excellent idea... though by the look of this thread. Its well and truly dead

One post in 4 months.

On my server... I'll ban ppl for more than wrecking. Racism such as that wanker Danistheman (lmao) would definitely get banned (in fact has been).

V

would you get banned for needlessly swearing - like you just did on this forum?
How to set up an LFS host to use the ban.ban file
Hi,

How do I set up my LFS hosts to use the ban.ban file?
The bans.ban file is in the \data\misc directory of your host installation. To use a new bans.ban file, simply replace the existing file with your new version. To edit the bans.ban file you need the LFS Ban Editor.. a brilliant little program by CrazyICE
Thanks. Will I have to restart my LFS hosts for it to take affect?

If there is a link or a wiki that will answer these types of questions let me know.

TIA.
Nope, you don't need to restart the server these days. Once upon a time you did, but these days as soon as your bans.ban file is in place, it becomes effective for any new players joining.

Important note, if your new bans.ban file includes someone who is on your server, it won't kick them off. They just won't be able to get on NEXT time they come visiting
Quote from SamH :Nope, you don't need to restart the server these days. Once upon a time you

Sam, I PM'd you, asking to have my server added to the WB. Could you reply please?

Venus
Quote from Venus :Sam, I PM'd you, asking to have my server added to the WB. Could you reply please?

Venus

Sorry about that.. check your PMs

"Wrecker Barricade"
(199 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG