The online racing simulator
A New Site
(469 posts, started )
Quote from Scawen :Please, no. All those "witty comments" make the forum so hard to read and are really boring when you have read them over and over. If they must be implemented, please limit them to a single line and hopefully smaller than normal text.

I'd suggest removal of animated avatars as they also make it hard to read. They are simply irritating and distracting.

Just turn off signatures and avatars? Or make them off by default so those who want then can turn them on.

I don't really see any way how animated avatars could make things "hard to read". Signatures can be pretty horrible if you allow pictures though. Whatever happens, no pictures in signatures. The lfs statusbar thingies in signatures were fine because they were small but anything bigger then one line is just.. annoying.
Quote from kdo :for me it look normal. rooted galaxy s3 lte 4g

i only have to zoom a little but the size are the same for every post

Oh well...It will be my phone then.
I'll try asking on some Android forums.
Adblock can be used on annoying avatars/images.
Haven't posted in relation to LFS itself on here in a long time I don't think.. but hats off to Vic and everyone involved with the new site(s).

The main LFS is a very nice, much needed redevelopment.. and the forum in general is nice too (less the lack of responsiveness, but won't comment too much on that as it's planned, although IMO from experience, it's easier to add this at the start rather than "retro-fit" ).

My only comments regarding the forum is that the threads view looks cluttered. Maybe the boldness of the thread titles, lack of vertical "white space" between thread content elements, not sure exactly without seeing some alternatives.. but to me, it's very heavy and uneasy to read.

My other comment would be the quick reply box. Seems short in height compared to the large default font. I know I can resize this box in Firefox, but from a UX PoV, not having to do that with the mouse would be handy

Anyway.. as said, I think all in all, it's a great move in the right direction for LFS moving forward as a complete product. Well done lads

Cheers..

Ian
SUGGESTION

You could add a developer icon next to the thread titles whenever a developer has made a post in the thread.

Another game forum has done that and it's very convenient to seek information quickly.
I miss the thing showing online users at the bottom
Quote from Redstar.lfs :SUGGESTION

You could add a developer icon next to the thread titles whenever a developer has made a post in the thread.

Absolutely yes! That would be very, very useful and would also look rather cool.
Small thing I miss: In the old design, when I opened a thread from the main forum index via middle mouse click (open in new tab) it brought me directly to the point I last read the thread. Very handy. Now it always opens the first page of a thread. I'd like to have the old behaviour back.
#309 - kdo
Quote from ACCAkut :Small thing I miss: In the old design, when I opened a thread from the main forum index via middle mouse click (open in new tab) it brought me directly to the point I last read the thread. Very handy. Now it always opens the first page of a thread. I'd like to have the old behaviour back.

Same here for the new tab
Quote from ACCAkut :Small thing I miss: In the old design, when I opened a thread from the main forum index via middle mouse click (open in new tab) it brought me directly to the point I last read the thread. Very handy. Now it always opens the first page of a thread. I'd like to have the old behaviour back.

You need to click that little icon.

//edit: I see, this only shows the newest post, doesn't redirect to the last read point. I'd also like that feature back.
Attached images
Snímka.JPG
You need to click on the small 'NEW' text next to the thread title to view unread posts (see attachment).

Cheers..

Ian
Attached images
Snap2.png
Quote from Nadeo4441 :I see, this only shows the newest post, doesn't redirect to the last read point. I'd also like that feature back.

When you click on the NEW,it will send to the last unread post. Sort of... It doesn't really open exactly last unread post,but somewhere near,or pretty far away if previous posts have many pictures. Well,at least it opens the right page!
Quote from Eclipsed :
Quote from Nadeo4441 :I see, this only shows the newest post, doesn't redirect to the last read point. I'd also like that feature back.

When you click on the NEW,it will send to the last unread post. Sort of... It doesn't really open exactly last unread post,but somewhere near,or pretty far away if previous posts have many pictures. Well,at least it opens the right page!

Weird, I thought that bug was fixed already

Thank seems wrong.
Quote from Flame CZE :
Quote from Eclipsed :

Weird, I thought that bug was fixed already

Noticed that same thing too. Like the user cookies were backed up about a month ago and then imported into the new forum, one month later. Not a big deal although a bit confusing at first
I am currently reading from a Nexus 4 720p mobile phone. It is fast and even work when I have a bad 3g.
It is not perfect, especially with font size. But overall it is working pretty well and it is OK doing some zoom now and then.
I am not the typical user but I hate mobile site and if I can do without an additional app I will.

On PC it is fast and I like the different feel from all other vbulletin forum.

You did a great job in my opinion.
Quote from Ripley :About Nexus and random fonts size, it looks like it's a Chrome problem:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/best-webbrowser-android-4-4-nexus-5-t2516385

There is a webkit (and presumably blink) CSS property to prevent auto text sizing. I think it's W3C standard, but does have issues with desktop browsers (disables zoom on desktop browsers).

Dunno if it's worth the compromise.
Just a crazy idea. Why not use Font-Awesome for the icons? It should in theory cover most forum icons already?
Quote from Ian.H :You need to click on the small 'NEW' text next to the thread title to view unread posts (see attachment).

But when you see a thread title on the main forum page ( https://www.lfs.net/forum ) there is no "new" button beside the thread titles. To get to the first unread post on a thread that is displayed there, it seems you must click the sub-forum then search for the thread title you wanted, and finally click on the tiny "new" text. So that is several seconds when in VB it was one click.

Also, when you can see it, I find the clickable "new" text very small. You don't normally need to go to the first or last post - the "new" text is the thing you normally want to click, so I think it should be bigger.
Quote from Dygear :Just a crazy idea. Why not use Font-Awesome for the icons? It should in theory cover most forum icons already?

Yes, please !
Quote from CZE :Hey.Nice forum but for me its bugy..I can't see all thinghs

I have the same problem. The text boxes don't wrap to small enough window sizes.

I like to split my single monitor so I can view two windows at once. As shown, the right side of the LFS forum is cut off, and there is no sideways scroll bar on the bottom.

Attached images
side by side.jpg
I have the same problem on my phone.
Quote from Dygear :Just a crazy idea. Why not use Font-Awesome for the icons? It should in theory cover most forum icons already?

FontAwesome is my go-to icon web font.

It's really nice but some older browsers (especially mobile) still can't render web-fonts. If you use the font with Photoshop and create FontAwesome icon images that would be a nice idea.

We're using FontAwesome on the [TC] Forum

Here's the full list of icons: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

And here's the Photoshop cheatsheet: http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/

A New Site
(469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG