The online racing simulator
Live for Speed S2, version Z28
(188 posts, closed, started )
VSync might create lag between input(mouse, wheel etc) and monitor .
Quote from Byku :VSync might create lag between input(mouse, wheel etc) and monitor .

Vsync off might create tearing on the monitor. Both are compromises really.
Quote from geeman1 :Vsync off might create tearing on the monitor. Both are compromises really.

Indeed .
Quote from Scawen :Changes from Z25 to Z28 :

Reduced minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode

Any way to manually overwrite this?

Quote from squidhead :THANK YOU! FROM ALL MY HEART! You've just taken the best damn camera controls for filming and improved them. This is close to perfection for LFS Movie makers now

It also removes a pretty handy ability to take screenshots at a specific resolution that you want, rather than fullscreen and then guess whether it'd fit into the area you want.

It used to be perfect for things like banners, where you've got say a 500x100 banner and a 1920x1080 resolution, previously you could just resize the LFS Window to a ratio around 5:1 (say 1500x300) and take the screenshot and use that, knowing that 99% of what was in the screenshot would be visable in the banner. Instead now your left guessing and continuously taking snaps and seeing how that looks until you have what you want.

I cant quite see what the benefit is of this though, what was the purpose of this modification? From the bit of messing ive just done, it seems rather retarded in how it works. Sometimes it central, sometimes it slams it to the right side... but who benefits from big black bands around the side of the screen?

Ironically, my only option now seems to be equally retarded, and thats to go with a 1:5 ratio and turn the camera to a 90' angle, and strain my neck in order to see how it actually looks.
I dont see why stupidly tall resolutions shouldnt be 'fixed', but stupidly wide ones are.

Im assuming theres an actual reason for this change, but at the moment im not seeing it, only the fact that its made life a PITA for one of the things i regularly did.
It seems you didn't understand the meaning of the fix. Scawen reduced the view hieght in SHIFT+U mode, which can be set in the left menu as "Height". Now it can be rasied down to 0.1.
hmmm, so it does.

So whats happened to it forcing a fugly box :worried:

In-Game (ie sat in the car, anywhere but in Shift+U) the game will go to any ratio... hmmm, but it is screwed up. My money is firmly on the update for multiple monitors fecking things up and coming to its own conclusion that i must be using additional monitors to achieve that wide ratio.

If i go to around 1280x200 (from 1280x1024) i get a 'normal' result, but 800x200 puts the car out of center, the driver is to the right, and theres tons of space to the left.
It thinks its on multiple monitors, and its forcing its settings on the user.

I guess thats what its doing in Shift+U too, except it *thinks* that its only displaying it on 1 monitor, when the reality is that its faking it and only showing half, or 1/3 of the content because it thinks its on 2 or 3 monitors.

At least i was right with it being retarded

Guess i'll have to revert to an old version simply for screenshots. Typical the multi-monitor feature comes as my secondary monitors both die
yeah, that works, 'Z's exe renamed and dumped in the same folder, my screenshot exe. Now i just need Scawen to implement the 0.1 height in Z v0 hehe
Quote from Byku :VSync might create lag between input(mouse, wheel etc) and monitor .

Might?

Any source on this info? If u have a decent pc and run it with vsync, it shouldent be any problem. Maybe if u have lag with the graphics, then its not vsyncs fault, its just crap machine's fault
Quote from AndroidXP :Options > View > Full width external views: yes

Smashing, how about an option that exists?
So why isnt there tripple buffering in this game? Or is it?
Quote from PaulC2K :Smashing, how about an option that exists?

It's context sensitive. Go out on the track, press Shift+U, then Shift+O to go in the options. The option will show up in the View menu then.

Admittedly it's not quite intuitive to find, especially if you're not used to using or simply don't know about the shortcuts, since as far as I can tell that's actually the only way to access this option (Esc just gets you out of Shift+U mode).

E: Actually I looked again, in Shift+U mode there is also an "Options" button in the lower right corner. Totally forgot about that one.
I have always had v-sync on, assuming it would be smoother given it's matching to the monitor refresh rate, but I've never really noticed a difference having it on or off.

Quote from Alric :Great pic Michael, helmet cam?

Thanks. Yeah, borrowed a friends go pro cam Also got some video!
system-wide installation of browser-handler?
Hi there,
I didn't find this discussed just yet so I'm going to ask:

I run an installation of WinXP SP3 right now. I'm going to upgrade to Win7 soon as one of those "late-followers" so maybe this is going to be rated low-priority.

However: on Win-XP, when installed under administator-privileges it seems not to install the "lfs://" handling tweak system-wide. At least on my machine, when I then run lfs from the installer-based directory and click on a server-link from within a parallel open session of firefox (3.5), then there is no reaction other than "don't know the protocol 'lfs'" -ish message box.

Also I found any system-wide start-links supposedly created by the installer not present in unprivileged user-accounts what-so-ever.

Please have a look at his and decide whether or not this is an issue you deem important to fix or not.
Would like to hear your feedback

One additional question on this: Is my installer-version the most-recent? I downloaded after your official progress report was posted on lfs.net and used the attached links to get my copy of the full installer.

Cheers
Heiko
Kliffaa!
Guess who's back

Not playing LFS for now, but always on the lookout for new updates. My home PC is currently being fixed (I'm using my laptop), but it'll be back before 2009 ends!

[offtopic]In the meantime, you can see me online in MTA:SA as chargers_fan.[/offtopic]
Anyone know how to tell what files will be updated BEFORE the patch installer is run? or even preview them. I just like to know so I know which texture mods/interiors will be overwritten. Also so I can check if they are still compatible.

The installer is just an exe, so I can't unzip it separately without pointing it to the actual LFS install and potentially overwriting stuff I want to keep.

I've searched this thread, but no luck. Thanks.
Quote from JasonJ :Anyone know how to tell what files will be updated BEFORE the patch installer is run? or even preview them. I just like to know so I know which texture mods/interiors will be overwritten. Also so I can check if they are still compatible.

The installer is just an exe, so I can't unzip it separately without pointing it to the actual LFS install and potentially overwriting stuff I want to keep.

I've searched this thread, but no luck. Thanks.

You can open it using 7zip to see the contents.
Thanks very much. I tried that initially, but it kept running the program. Now you said that I tried a bit harder and realised I gotta use extract or open inside. Not used 7zip much and I thought you could open archives inside 7zip by double clicking them like in WinRAR

Cheers
You would be able to double click it if it wasn't a self extracting archive.
This might sound stupid but i have windows XP, and i got 2 screens with same resolution but i can't get lfs on both screens. I can only get it to work when i am running lfs in a window and stretch it over the 2 screens but it will give me low fps, and when i press shift + F4 it only goes on 1 screen.
Quote from G!NhO :This might sound stupid but i have windows XP, and i got 2 screens with same resolution but i can't get lfs on both screens. I can only get it to work when i am running lfs in a window and stretch it over the 2 screens but it will give me low fps, and when i press shift + F4 it only goes on 1 screen.

If you own a nvidia card, you may get further with spanning your desktop across both screens.
Otherwise try Softth from kegetys. http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/ , it works with two screens also.
'fullscreen' has that issue, ati included. It FS's to 1 monitor only. Dunno about above suggestion.

Also, try windowed only 2nd monitor. When i first went dual screen it would get upto 5fps, yet primary would be 150+. Not dual, just single. Very odd.
That was on an 1900xtx, but on nv8800gtx it doesnt drop single or dual span.
Dunno if thats ati vs nv differences, but i wasnt impressed with ati at that time.
Hopefully its not an ati thing as my next gfx will be ati i suspect.
That's neither an nVidia nor ATI thing, that's a Desktop Window Manager (DWM) thing and it only affects Vista and Seven. On XP, both nVidia and ATI should allow span mode, which sets both screens up as a single large surface to draw on (one big virtual screen so to speak).
This thread is closed

Live for Speed S2, version Z28
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG