The online racing simulator
Live for Speed S2, version Z28
(188 posts, closed, started )
Hello LFS Racers.

We have released a new, full version with an installer and a some updates : Z28

It is compatible with version Z, so does not contain the new tyre physics or the VW Scirocco. The main reason for this new version is that LFS really needed an installer. This will make it a lot easier for new users to install LFS, and there are also benefits for existing users.

The installer gives you a default folder of C:\LFS but you can choose wherever you like. Vista and Windows 7 users should preferably not use their Program Files folder because of some issues that come up.

The installer is very non-intrusive, it just extracts LFS into the specified folder and adds an icon to your desktop (if you wish) and a start menu item (if you wish). Also optional is an automatic setup of file associations for SPR / MPR / LYT and SET files.

One thing many of our users liked about the self extracting archives is that they wrote no information at all to the Windows registry. Our installer does make at least one entry to the registry, to allow the uninstaller to work. Also the optional file associations are registry entries. You can recreate an old-style install, with absolutely nothing added to the registry and no shortcuts by following these two steps :

1) Install LFS (you can disable all file associations and shortcuts during the install)
2) Uninstall LFS - you'll see an option that allows you to leave the LFS folder in place. All registry entries and shortcuts will be removed.

Also new is updated support for the URL lfs:// which can be used to start LFS using a command line from a web page. This is the new method for "Join" links at www.lfsworld.net and from the forum. Previously a special program needed to be installed but now the links will work for any copy of LFS installed using the installer.

NOTE : You will need to unlock after installing Z28!

This is because of a fix for some hibernating computers losing their unlock.
We have reset everyone's available unlocks to three (as if you had bought a new license).

Changes from Z25 to Z28 :

Reduced minimum view height in SHIFT+U mode
Reduced minimum speed in SHIFT+U mode to 0.1 m/s
Multiple host passwords are now stored (Join Specific Host screen)
Added support for lfs:// (start LFS with command line from web page)
FIX : Could not join S1 or S2 host after unlocking in Multiplayer screen
FIX : Clicking SPR / MPR did not work with "Load track when starting"
FIX : Two or more dedicated hosts could be started with same port
FIX : It was possible to reset the car while a vote was in progress
FIX : Help buttons sometimes translated after returning to English

Three ways to get Patch Z28 :

1) AUTO UPDATER - If you already have version V, W, X, Y or Z :

- Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Games" in LFS and choose a download mirror.

2) MANUAL PATCH (2.3 MB) - If you already have version Z25 :

- Click HERE and save the patch installer.
- You can run the patch installer from its download location or from your LFS folder.

3) FULL VERSION (134 MB) - If you are new to LFS or making a fresh installation.

- Click HERE to visit the download page and get the full version installer.
Thanks for that, and also for the progress report!!
Thank you. Cool installer
I struggled a bit with the installer.

For unrelated reasons I'm running low on space on my system drive (C so I downloaded the installer to F:\ and chose to install LFS into F:\LFSZ28. Halfway through the installer the task failed, along with a balloon tip from the systray saying I'm running low on space on my system drive (C.

I tried setting my TMP and TEMP system variables to F:\, which did not help because, for some reason, the installer seems to use C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch as a temporary storage for the install files.

Instead, I opened the installer as an archive with 7zip and extracted, what I thought was the necessary files (/data/*, LFS.exe, , LFS_restart.exe, README.txt and cfg.txt) to a folder of choice. This solution did not work though since most of the data files are stored in the $_OUTDIR folder.

After copying the contents of $_OUTDIR to my lfs/data folder LFS starts, but complains about not finding a few files (SKP_cone and sunscreenALPHA).

PLEASE provide a regular- or self-extracting archive for us that are too lazy to keep our system drive clean!
#8 - VoiD
I noticed a small gfx-glitch on fe4r.
Attached images
fe4r b1.jpg
fe4r b2.jpg
fe4r b3.jpg
fe4r b4.jpg
When do we get the new tire physic and the scirocco?

The installer worked perfectly with me
Quote from Scawen :
Three ways to get Patch Z28 :

1) AUTO UPDATER - If you already have version V, W, X, Y or Z :

- Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Games" in LFS and choose a download mirror.

I found a little bug with the installation.

I have installed the Z28 Test Patch with the installer, and in my 'official' installation (Z25) when I connect to server don't ask for update, so it enter on a server but I continue with the Z25.
Everytime I close LFS, the shadow behind my cursor is gone, I have to reactivate it every time..
It even happened in Z25..

Win 7 x64 Professional
Quote from Napalm Candy :I found a little bug with the installation.

I have installed the Z28 Test Patch with the installer, and in my 'official' installation (Z25) when I connect to server don't ask for update, so it enter on a server but I continue with the Z25.

Not true.. I just updated Z25 to Z28 with the auto update function.

You get it only when you hit 'display online hosts' (not if you join a specific server)

W7 32bit
Quote from phoenixIlooka :Everytime I close LFS, the shadow behind my cursor is gone, I have to reactivate it every time..
It even happened in Z25..

Win 7 x64 Professional

Not reproduceable for me in Z25 and Z28, even in window-mode it is still there.

Win 7 x64 Professional
I have updated from Z25 to Z28 worked ok, but when i try and go online it asks me to unlock S2 again, Witch will mean me having to pay for it again as i have no unlocks left...

Edit: Sorry didn't read it fully.
Quote from Mr_0ddball :i have no unlocks left...

You get allocated new unlocks regularly and additionally Scawen did say that enough unlocks would be available to cover the situation as explained on the Z28 download post irc
every time i close lfs and open it up again it asks mye to unlock. i have done it twice now and i have no more unlocks......what is wrong with it??
Scawen, assuming this is a permissions problem, it might be a good idea to check whether the .xyz files can be written before unlocking and only allow to unlock if they can, or at least throw a warning to the user that they might run out of unlocks
Quote from Hurley24 :every time i close lfs and open it up again it asks mye to unlock. i have done it twice now and i have no more unlocks......what is wrong with it??

As morpha suggests, you'd better check the .xyz files in the data\misc folder and see if somehow they have become read-only (right click and view properties).

I think this is also a known problem for Vista or Windows 7 users who install LFS in their Program Files folder, which can cause problems because the operating system starts doing funny things with user accounts, duplicating files and so on. The solution : DO NOT install LFS in the Program Files folder!

On the subject of unlocks, I forgot yesterday to update everyone's available unlocks to three. Sorry about that - it's done now, so it's as if everyone has a brand new license.
I have a problem with Z28 and ATI's drivers 9.11. (The video card is 4870, 1GB RAM).

(click on the image to see a larger version of it)

The curb's blue lines are not any more straight and the tarmac is more aliased than it used to be.

System's Catalyst 3D settings can be seen here:

I had Catalyst 9.8 installed till yesterday - with the exactly same settings as long as I can recall - along with previous versions of LFS (I have used 9.8 with many patches up to Z27) and LFS graphics looked better.

Any ideas on what is causing the problem?
That's I think an artefact of the anisotropic filtering. Has nothing to do with LFS itself or Z28 specifically.
Quote from AndroidXP :That's I think an artefact of the anisotropic filtering. Has nothing to do with LFS itself or Z28 specifically.

You 're right. It happened when I installed 9.11. It's just a coincidence that I installed Z28 at the same time.

And I just found the solution thanks to you! In the above screen of CCC "Use application settings" check box at AF section must be checked. That's it; it does all the work!

Thanks for the tip!!!
I get excited every time the http://www.lfs.net page changes ( i even got an adrenaline blip from the "new t-shirts" change before i realised the inconsequence of the announcement) and this update was even worse unless i'm missing something. It seems to me we're all waiting on the same thing (new tyre phys and scirrocco) and all these insignificant updates are just frustrating. This is obviously just me venting my rage, and i can appreciate that small updates are updates, nonetheless, but jesus, this waiting is killing me.....
Quote from VulcanConray :I get excited every time the http://www.lfs.net page changes ( i even got an adrenaline blip from the "new t-shirts" change before i realised the inconsequence of the announcement) and this update was even worse unless i'm missing something. It seems to me we're all waiting on the same thing (new tyre phys and scirrocco) and all these insignificant updates are just frustrating. This is obviously just me venting my rage, and i can appreciate that small updates are updates, nonetheless, but jesus, this waiting is killing me.....

c'mon, you're almost 30, be more patient, grow up
Quote from VulcanConray :...and all these insignificant updates are just frustrating...

Please!! Give us a break!!
"insignificant"??????????????
This thread is closed

(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG