The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
It does look a bit cartoony there...
wow... gotta say that was predictable but dissapointing

i think they did a great job. the interior could have been better tho
I think the default cars look quite good, and don't look cartoony though, just to clarify. It only seems to be that car (or maybe that screenshot).

Edit: Looked at the other screenshots on the RSC thread. All of them, bar the frontal close up, look rubbish to me, much worse than RBR normally is. I think they've been poorly 'improved' in photoshop...
Yes, it looked pretty crappy to me.
But not from the graphical point of view. I give credits to these people for putting a lot of work into the model. The rims are really well made.
But to me these mod-car look like "We tried to make a car that is similar to the Impreza '06 [replace with any other car], but we actually don't have a clue if it is even remotely related to it because we never drove it or any other rally car". And that's why I stick with the normal cars.

Vain
some of the modders have actual rallying experience. and they put quite alot of work into making the cars as realistic as they can.

+ the cars dont look as cartoony or blocky as other games...
dammit it's hard! i tried France in the Subaru, and i sucked, although it wasnt helped by the pace notes:
Flat LEFT!
Flat RIGHT!
Flat LEFT!
Flat RIGHT!
hairpin

which of course he says JUST when you have enough time to respond, do so any later (ie 0.2 of a second) or lock the tyres and your toast!

fun, even if after 5 or 6 flat's i get a nice loud CAUTION to scare me, or a corner i could only take flat in a landie!
@Jakg
Yup, it is hard, but so was LFS at firs try
Damn, i still cannot find a way to take those hairpins with the handbrake :S
btw, i love the USA track ( lots of straights :o )
France is really difficult. On one side that's due to bad pacenotes and on the otherside due to the standard setup. It can get pretty snappy under braking. So you tap the brakes, it goes sideways and your car goes "offroad". The dampers are a good bit off in the standard setup. Dial in some lift-off understeer into the dampers. That helps a lot.
My favorite rally is japan (Tanner!!). After that the finnish rally.

Vain
Quote from Jakg :which of course he says JUST when you have enough time to respond, do so any later (ie 0.2 of a second) or lock the tyres and your toast!

You can adjust the pacenotes in the options, so that the co-driver will "stack" more of them and say them earlier.
I have to admit, I've become hooked on the game. I've been grinding the rally season with hardest difficulty and oh boy --- it ain't easy!

Great sounds, graphics are in the same zone with LFS, no unnecessary eye-candy or "teh newest most awesomest shader" crap, physics rock, ffb is nice and accurate.

Personally my biggest kick comes from the thing that while driving you gotta be 100% focused and got no time to think for work stuff, world politics or cat food prices. It's quite relaxing, if you know what I mean.
Hah, I don't think the word "relaxing" goes anywhere near RBR

There are people who complain that their arms get tired after half an hour of LFS. Oh boy, these guys should really try RBR - this would make them appreciate how easy and chilling LFS is.
I like RBR because it takes me to the limit of capability. You need the ability to keep the car on the limit and have to concentrate on the pacenotes. That's a great combination.
@Chilling:
Look at Grönholm and how he drives. That guy is so cool while driving, I bet his copilot is feeling cold.

Vain
Quote from AndroidXP :Hah, I don't think the word "relaxing" goes anywhere near RBR

Escapism can be a great way to relax and RBR delivers just that pretty well. Gotta unplug the brain and listen to the dreaded pace notes while trying to keep the poor Subaru's all four wheels on the road.

Like the guy said before:
FLAT RIGHT!
FLAT LEFT!
FLAT RIGHT!
FLAT LEFT!
FLAT RIGHT!
Flat left over bumb into a hairpin right caution do not cut!
"Wait wha---"

It's all good!
Quote from spankmeyer :Escapism can be a great way to relax and RBR delivers just that pretty well. Gotta unplug the brain and listen to the dreaded pace notes while trying to keep the poor Subaru's all four wheels on the road.

Like the guy said before:
FLAT RIGHT!
FLAT LEFT!
FLAT RIGHT!
FLAT LEFT!
FLAT RIGHT!
Flat left over bumb into a hairpin right caution do not cut!
"Wait wha---"

It's all good!

i love how much grip the cars (sometimes!) have, i went through a small village in France, i get "Easy Right, Flat, so i see a road leading out of the village that looks like a bit of a turn, and i also see an almost 90 degree turn, so i take the first, only to find the road is blocked and that the car can take the almost 90 degree turn flat with no complaints
I'll probably end up hitting a few picture guys. I am currently DLing the demo, and "obtaining" the full version due to being unable to purchase it easily. The game looks pretty nice actually, not overloaded in eyecandy like GTR2 and stuff. Looks about the same calibre as LFS, except in rally (LFS lacks quite a bunch in rally).
Quote :torrenting the full version

So you're admitting you're getting it illegally? hmm
I don't see why, there is not one person here that has not obtained anything illegally. Be it Gum, or software. People are much too uptight.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I don't see why, there is not one person here that has not obtained anything illegally. Be it Gum, or software. People are much too uptight.

You sir are a twat.

EDIT: It's very much true that many people have downloaded copyrighted material, but admitting it on a public forum where you have to register and your license is tied to the account... that's just stupid.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I am currently DLing the demo, and "obtaining" the full version due to being unable to purchase it easily.

Try to order the game online. That way you should still get a copy. Let the publisher know that this is a great game by buying it even years after the release. That way the publisher might see that they created a classic and that a sequel could also earn them money.

Vain
Quote from spankmeyer :You sir are a twat.

EDIT: It's very much true that many people have downloaded copyrighted material, but admitting it on a public forum where you have to register and your license is tied to the account... that's just stupid.

You know what's sad? I've obtained illegal versions of many products that I bought in stores simply because the frikking copy protection would make trying to play it an adventure, or because the original CD was toasted and there are no more replacement CDs because the distributor is no longer active. Basically I don't want to be changing my configuration every time I want to play a game because the distributors can't get it through their thick heads that copy protection only annoys those that buy the game, and not those that download it.

As for downloading non-software related copyrighted material... That is legal in some countries, you know. (like mine)

Quote from spankmeyer :5 seconds of Googleing, I'm sure it can't be that difficult:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Richard-Bu ... egoryZ80332QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ ... 645?v=glance&n=229534

You know that's illegal in most countries? You are not allowed to sell original CDs after purchase.
Quote from TagForce :You know what's sad? I've obtained illegal versions of many products that I bought in stores simply because the frikking copy protection would make trying to play it an adventure, or because the original CD was toasted and there are no more replacement CDs because the distributor is no longer active. Basically I don't want to be changing my configuration every time I want to play a game because the distributors can't get it through their thick heads that copy protection only annoys those that buy the game, and not those that download it.

like my DRM'ed music collection, i couldn't back up my licences because whenever i tried to import them they didnt work, so i can't even crack the DRM off (to do so requires the origianl license)

I will admit i do crack LFS, because i don't want to waste an unlock (ie when i was waiting to partition my hdd, i was unsure if moving it to another HDD would unlock it, so i cracked it to do an hour of practice before i could partition), but as i own the software (at least a license to it) this can be considered legal
Thread derailing fast, need evaisive actions fast Scotty!
Quote :I've obtained illegal versions of many products that I bought in stores simply because the frikking copy protection would make trying to play it an adventure...

You don't like aggressive copy protection? Vote with your wallet and leave the game/movie/audio to the store.

Quote :or because the original CD was toasted and there are no more replacement CDs because the distributor is no longer active.

Backups are a great thing. If the copy protection doesn't allow one, look above.

Quote :Basically I don't want to be changing my configuration every time I want to play a game because the distributors can't get it through their thick heads that copy protection only annoys those that buy the game, and not those that download it.

Look above.

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG