The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
Quote from The Moose :Yes.

lol why does it need so much space m8? Only reason i ask is that the dl was only like 757 meg and i r confused
Quote from Billeh :lol why does it need so much space m8? Only reason i ask is that the dl was only like 757 meg and i r confused

I think it is graphics, or some definition files, don't know really, but it has really lot of stuff in it too.
Sure silly amount of space, but I would say it is worth it.
Quote from DaveWS :Yep they're installed. I'm happy using low detail for now. Is it my imagination or was there a good sound mod for RBR? Or any mods worth adding to the game?

Edit: I'm still getting some steering lag too after doing those fixes deggis wrote about.

Did you fix the freeze/crashing issue ?

The reason i ask is, after reading these threads i fancy having a go at the game again, but i've not installed RBR on this new PC yet and i think it's a similar spec to yours. Just don't fancy having to through all the problems that you seem to be having

edit: Just installed it and so far no crashes or freezes, but, no force feedback either edit: fixed after restart
Quote from DaveWS :I'm getting annoying crashes with RBR...

Quote from Vain :That sort of thing sounds like a driver issue.

I get a lot of annoying crashes in RBR, and it's definitely a driver issue. I suck!
Quote from Michael Denham :I get a lot of annoying crashes in RBR, and it's definitely a driver issue. I suck!

Har har... nah that was quite funny actually

Mazz4200: Yeah I set render detail to medium and no more crashes. The game still looks reasonable too.
I just bought this at the weekend and spent all of Sunday trying to get it to work properly.

Eventually seemed to be working but now the engine sound dies completely at random in the middle of a stage or rally school stage, making the car totally undriveable. I do have the sounds coming thru' a USB headset (keeps the wife happy(er) :razz

It takes a whole reboot of the computer to fix it, then 10 min later it happens again.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, updated graphics and sound drivers, turned the sound HW acceleration to basic, and installed patch 1.02 but without any luck.

Anybody out there had the same issues and found a fix?

BTW Realtec AC 97 + radeon 9200

Thanks for any help
Strange, I've never had any issues with RBR (except the beta... that was painful at times!)... everything cranked up to full detail, no crashes, no sound bugs, nothing.

Weird.
Have you downloaded the latest official patch and updated your graphics drivers (doing so fixed issues for me)?
That sort of stuff is usually a driver-issue (no, not you! the software-bit! ). RBR tends to work pretty well on the most common systems, but it has the tendency to show some weird behaviour on certain hardware/driver-combinations.
The fact that you need to reboot windows (read: reload the drivers) to fix the problem also indicates that there is a driver-issue.
You should definitely try updating the chipset drivers of your mainboard. There are often tons of strange issues with them.

By the way, I lately reinstalled RBR and am now trying to regain my pace with the G25@540° rotation. It has proven to be a whole lot of fun and I've finished every stage of the first three rallies now.
Though to be honest I almost killed the car in Finland. In the fourth stage I slightly damaged two dampers, didn't have the time to fix it in the service park, totally broke them in the fifth stage, spun, flipped the car, lost two or three prop-shafts, lost the brakes, broke 2 wheel-hubs and killed 3 dampers. But I kept going (without brakes!!) until the end of stage 6 and managed to bring home 5th place, securing my championship lead.

I want to see Loeb hurling such a heap of scrap metal through snow-stages at 140km/h with no brakes!

Vain
Grrr.. My wheel (g25) still doesnt respond in rbr ff options >> must be vista... but that one fix offered for momo on bh didnt help... Crapuu, last pc + g25 was too weak to play enjoyable RBR, new pc + g25 runs uuber smooth, but the wheel is like without power with really bad movement..
Btw... RBR has the problem of just going wrong sometimes.. On my old pc with old wheel, every few months i had to reinstall all that has to do with wheel and rbr, cauz steering lag just showed up, sometimes wheels just went straight
Quote from Vain :The fact that you need to reboot windows (read: reload the drivers) to fix the problem also indicates that there is a driver-issue.
You should definitely try updating the chipset drivers of your mainboard. There are often tons of strange issues with them.

Sound & graphics drivers updated before I installed RBR. Haven't touched the motherboard or BIOS drivers in 5 years since I bought the machine tbh. That whole idea scares the bejesus out of me (spot the technophobe :shy

Might have to try it tho, it's too much fun not to have working properly. Might I ask how I would go about finding out what chips/boards I have and how to update? Thanks for helping a thicky

Quote from Vain :But I kept going (without brakes!!) until the end of stage 6 and managed to bring home 5th place, securing my championship lead.
Vain

Nice work Vain, even after a (partial) days playing I can see how hard this would be

Waiting on my BHM forum registration to be approved so can maybe find more help (and some bl**dy set-ups!) there.

Thanks all
Have you tried a non-usb headset?
1. bhmotorsports.com has a setup-sub-section in the download-section of their RBR section.
I can recommend the KSP sets, and the 'realistic KSP' to some degrees. I found the Subaru and Mitsubishi gravel sets from the latter pack pretty bad.
2. Finding out the exact chipset can be a bit difficult. Do you know which manufacturer provided the motherboard? Do you have any of the packaging left from when you bought the PC? It usually states the exact components somewhere.

Vain
Had a play with the demo of this and then bought it from amazon for the princely sum of £4.11 including postage

What angle of steering wheel travel do rally cars usually have? I wasn't quite sure what to set my DFP to when I tried the demo.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Have you tried a non-usb headset?

Not yet, but they work 100% faultless with LFS, but still it's the first thing I'll try tonight Lets see if the 5.1 speakers work instead.

Quote from Vain :1. bhmotorsports.com has a setup-sub-section in the download-section of their RBR section.
I can recommend the KSP sets, and the 'realistic KSP' to some degrees. I found the Subaru and Mitsubishi gravel sets from the latter pack pretty bad.
2. Finding out the exact chipset can be a bit difficult. Do you know which manufacturer provided the motherboard? Do you have any of the packaging left from when you bought the PC? It usually states the exact components somewhere.

Vain

1. Yep, spotted the set-up threads, but I though the KSP set were only for modded cars?
2. After 5 years, lol. I lose my bank cards at 30 minute intervals, no chance, but thanks for the thought I do have Everest installed tho, that might tell me.

Quote from Crashgate3 :Had a play with the demo of this and then bought it from amazon for the princely sum of £4.11 including postage

What angle of steering wheel travel do rally cars usually have? I wasn't quite sure what to set my DFP to when I tried the demo.

I used 540 with some tweaking to make it less sensitive at high speeds (in-game options). It felt pretty good tbh

Thanks to all for hints n' tips
Real WRC cars use 540°. That works rather well in RBR too.
If you don't know where to put your hands during sharp hairpins go watch some WRC broadcasts and copy the techniques. Works nicely. If it's still too tedious plan your lines better. In the heat of the battle it's easy to forget to properly "Turn in - apex - accelerate" every single corner.
Also make sure you access the digital button filters in the settings menu and set the rate of change to instant. Rumour has it that the rate of change for digital inputs also applies to the analogue inputs, which causes some of the steering lag usually observed.

Vain
Better remove the steering altogether:

http://torttu.com/temp/rbr/ffb.txt

No idea if something new has come up with this? I wrote those instructions nearly two years ago based on the long thread @ bhmotorsports.com.
gaaaarrrghhgrhghrflump :doh:

So, after (stupidly) using windows to update my drivers I realised they had installed flippin the equivalent of ZX Spectrum stuff instead, t*ssers.

Up till 2am renewing, uninstalling, wiping, defrags and generally updating things to at least the correct decade. Hoping this sorts the problem.......

Just got to uninstall RBR itself now, reload, and try it thru' the 5.1 surround instead of the usb headset.

Must admit, I've got some optimism this might work

Computers are sh!te, too complex for simple nuclear physicists like myself
hi im getting invalid fingerprint when i try and start it , any solutions ??
i was just on there , and ive re-installed the game but its still the same .
Sorry to btong this up but when i play LFS the force feedback is ok.
today i got my hands on a second hand RBR, installed, patched, run.
detect devices > wheel detected. test force feedback... WTF?
now my wheel keeps turning right and i dont know what to do. it as if it has default force to the right...

someone help me

Windows XP
2.6 sempron x32
1536 Ram ddr1
GF6200 256
Genius speed wheel force feedback (worked fine untill i tested the FFB on RBR now its messed up. even when i turn it off and plugoff the PC it still messed up)
I hope someone from you rbr "freaks" can help me

After formating my PC and basicly using the same drivers as before (apart from a new ati and sound driver) RBR won't find my wheel, only the pedals. It doesn't work either with the logi profiler (tried 4.60 and 5.01) nor without it.

Wheel: DFP
Pedals: VPP (using seperate USB port)

EDIT: I can assign all buttons, just the steering axis isn't detected.

PS: I didn't run through the thread (27 pages), sorry if thats been asked before.
finally got 08 working , and those sounds and that new stage for france , yummy , ill post a pic ov my smashed C4 later , i know i will crunch it in to something lol
Well after wasting hours (days even :schwitz faffing around with driver cleaners, updates, safe modes, defrags etc etc the bl**dy thing still didn't work........

So I uniinstalled it, borrowed a mates copy then only installed patch 1.02 (before I was doing 1.01 and 1.02) and it now works a treat

There is a wee bit of lag with the in-car view when yer flat out in 6th thru' heavy tree lined roads and rain/snow is chucking it down, but nothing too serious.

Cheers Turbo Dad, this game is ace

I'll be LFS'ing tonight but on Friday I wanna get some decent set ups (KSP) for RBR and maybe try some mods (RSRBR08 - is this any good?). Any idea where I save the sets and how I access them in-game? Ta

Gonna try the G25 tweaks as suggested by Deggis as well although I don't feel any steering lag when playing the game. Also change to flippin' "intro=false" in the cgf file

Game on!

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG