The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
Now I'm getting pissed already, bloody google won't find anything even remotely mentioning missing menu texts when playing in windowed mode, nor any setting seem to have any effect to it.

Only way to keep it from crashing is to play in window however.

Also I'm missing all hud, times everything, like whole layer would be wiped off when playing in windowed mode.
I suggest asking this at rscnet RBR subforum. Probably better luck solving the problem there than here. Or blackholemotorsports' RBR forum, which is where the main community is.
I did update gfx driver and it seems to be semi ok in full screen now, sometimes when starting it gives error but once I start it in window and shut down it works ok in full screen, except random crashes, weird it is

Got 3:30.07 in Autiovaara, drove by a note as how on earth could I remember all stages?
I felt that it was bit slow still, quite huge bit actually, however at least I was mostly on track there.

Still it won't overwrite that bugged time even I choose to save progress, I guess it should be edited somewhere, annoying.

It is not actually very difficult to drive, but going really fast seems to be. I can drive pretty well in relaxed pace, which gives me times around 1:18 in rally school, very hard to crash at that pace now as I found my left foot again
Tanner 02:58.47 with RSRBR08's WRC06 Focus, default set seem to suffer from some understeer issues

After updating display drivers I have had not much trouble, it even starts fine now after I installed RSRBR08, odd, maybe resoltution change did cure it as it seem to run now 800x600

Good workout that is, even LFS warms a bit when racing hard in south city, but RBR is in it's own league, even face did sweat earlier as I was having too much fun and forgot I'm wearing sweater, well we put that as realism upgrade
Got it on a Gamestar DVD, really like it, but somehow the FF is a bit weak. It helped me getting more control over my DFP, I was always feeling like I hurt the poor wheel if I turn it too quickly and wide, I had to come over that to finish a stage
I'm getting annoying crashes with RBR... most often it happens at the start of a stage when the camera is panning around the side of the car. The whole PC completely freeses, and the sound plays a continous loop. I have to manually reset the PC, and the game doesn't write a crash dump...
That sort of thing sounds like a driver-issue.
If RBR itself had crashed windows would've caught it and offered you to shut it off, so likely some device driver (could be any - soundcard, motherboard, LAN-chip, whatever) caused the kernel to hang somewhere.

Vain
I've now updated every driver that I can update, and the problem remains. It even sometimes freezes when asking to load a profile. This is proper pissing me off. Thanks for trying to help though.
Everytime freezing, not just "crash to desktop"? The latter one is casual problem, and it seems to be completely random. Total freezing does sound like some other hardware related issue...
Quote from DaveWS :I've now updated every driver that I can update, and the problem remains. It even sometimes freezes when asking to load a profile. This is proper pissing me off. Thanks for trying to help though.

Try setting rendering quality to medium from RBR ini file?
Totally freezing is what happens. I've tested rendering quality on low, and it no longer crashes, but the game now looks horrible.

Is it then my graphics card causing this? It's quite old (ATI Radeon 9600XT).

Any suggestions for a good value new card? X1950 maybe?

BTW, why doesn't LFS soften the tree edges like in RBR (on high detail)?
Quote from DaveWS :Totally freezing is what happens. I've tested rendering quality on low, and it no longer crashes, but the game now looks horrible.

Is it then my graphics card causing this? It's quite old (ATI Radeon 9600XT).

Any suggestions for a good value new card? X1950 maybe?

BTW, why doesn't LFS soften the tree edges like in RBR (on high detail)?

Only been keeping half an eye on this thread, but i'm sure i remember reading somewhere that RBR had problems with certain hardware, not sure if it was ATI or AMD ?, but i think there was a small app that fixed the problem. I'll have a look, but don't hold your breath, there's a chance it could be a completely different game altogether ?, gimmie five.

Edit, yep it was AMD chips that caused problems, you using AMD ?. gimmie another five and i'll try that fix
Edit 2: apparently sound cards also cause problems, have a look here http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=44563
Thanks for helping, I'll try some of the sound stuff out tomorrow. I use a core 2 Intel processor BTW.
Just in case, that there won't be "LOL, whoops!" case few weeks later both 1.01 and 1.02 patches are installed?
Yep they're installed. I'm happy using low detail for now. Is it my imagination or was there a good sound mod for RBR? Or any mods worth adding to the game?

Edit: I'm still getting some steering lag too after doing those fixes deggis wrote about.
Another issue BTW, I'm getting lines across the road... see attachment
Attached images
lines.JPG
Quote from DaveWS :Another issue BTW, I'm getting lines across the road... see attachment

Pretty sure that happens when you force AA, been a known bug since forever.
Quote from Bean0 :Pretty sure that happens when you force AA, been a known bug since forever.

+1

RSRBR08 is mod to install, is really nice collection of mods + easy to install and use. Also it has good sounds and modern WRC cars.
Quote from JTbo :+1

RSRBR08 is mod to install, is really nice collection of mods + easy to install and use. Also it has good sounds and modern WRC cars.

I can't find a car list or anything, could you tell me if the Peugeot 106 is in there ? Either 1.3/1.6 or Maxi will do for me
Quote from Bean0 :I can't find a car list or anything, could you tell me if the Peugeot 106 is in there ? Either 1.3/1.6 or Maxi will do for me

I'm not near my gaming rig atmo, but I think it has about every car released for RBR except b-group beta/alpha versions. It has some FWD Pug from my recalling, but can't really be sure which it was.
Not to worry, I'm already downloading it
That screenshot was taken after I had turned off AA and AF from the drivers...
http://www.rallyesim.com

Looks like they're finally established proper (easy to use etc) website. Year ago it was quite horrible, like numerious separate downloads with a manual that was mostly French... I might say back then it was probably easier to download all the car addons separately from bhmotorsports.com. They've done good job, still the only "all in one" real mod to RBR, even that it's just a collection of other mods, when the other mods turned out to nothing.
Quote from JTbo :+1

is it normal for that mod to ask for more than 7 GIG space on the drive you want to install it to?
Quote from Billeh :is it normal for that mod to ask for more than 7 GIG space on the drive you want to install it to?

Yes.

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG