The online racing simulator
Quote from DaveWS :This is confusing almost EVERYONE, even commentators. I'm 100% sure this "sound" is not KERS kicking in. KERS is only noticable as a sudden increase in acceleration, nothing else, no change to engine sound.

What you are actually hearing is interference in the signal of the onboard audio feed, causing the audio speed to change or stutter momentarily.

I don't know whats causing the interference, it could be related to the electrical energy in the KERS system, I really don't know TBH.

Cars that are not equipped with KERS have this as well. It's a bit confusing as I thought it was KERS at first, but cars that do not have KERS have the same thing going on, where the revs seem to go up and down quickly at some point down a straight.
Quote from DaveWS :What you are actually hearing is interference in the signal of the onboard audio feed, causing the audio speed to change or stutter momentarily.

As far as I am aware that is entirely correct. In previous years the sound used to cut out momentarily at interference spots around the circuit, whereas this year they seem to use a system where the sound freezes or reverses when there is a loss of audio.
Quote from DaveWS :This is confusing almost EVERYONE, even commentators. I'm 100% sure this "sound" is not KERS kicking in. KERS is only noticable as a sudden increase in acceleration, nothing else, no change to engine sound.

What you are actually hearing is interference in the signal of the onboard audio feed, causing the audio speed to change or stutter momentarily.

I don't know whats causing the interference, it could be related to the electrical energy in the KERS system, I really don't know TBH.

It's not anything to do with KERS because it happens on all the cars IIRC

It is some sort of interference though definitely

EDIT: Oh missed a page :P
Quote from DeKo :we havent seen the williams system in action yet, it should be lighter than the battery system, freeing up a bit of ballast.

But it will also have the potential disadvantage of adding some gyroscopic affect to the car, potentially altering it's handling. Any spining mass is going to be resistant to changes in direction, not sure how they're going to get around that issue and have a mass able to store enough kinetic energy to be useful as a performance boost.

Edited to add - Just seen samjh's post, pretty much sums up the issue.
Quote from count.bazley :As far as I am aware that is entirely correct. In previous years the sound used to cut out momentarily at interference spots around the circuit, whereas this year they seem to use a system where the sound freezes or reverses when there is a loss of audio.

Yep, and it's not exactly an improvement, although anyone that thinks it's anything other than an audio glitch has got quite an imagination.

I thought the race was rather boring. Unusually I find myself wanting a proper dry race without incidents. I want to see a straight, fair race in dry conditions.
Re: Hamilton being lucky

Exactly how is spinning off the circuit four or more times, possibly deemed as being lucky?

He's stated in an interview after the race, that the team were having problems setting up the car for his driving style, which is why he was using his tires so quickly - he went on to say that after 5 laps his front left tire had gone.

Now I'm not sure how much people understand about how the extreme wet tires work, but those tires without the grip is like using slicks. If his tires really were as dead as he said, then IMO he was pretty feckin skilled at managing to keep the car on the road for as long as he did, and not lose more positions.

Sure, it might be an excuse by Hamilton, but at least it's an informed excuse instead of an uninformed "armchair-driver" theory.

Also, when he had a clean set of tires on, there was absolutely nothing lucky about how easily he was passing others on the circuit.

Anyway, enough. Driver of the day IMO, was Heiki. He made most places, only made one tiny mistake, and managed to keep his car out of trouble while other around him were falling all over each other.

Buemi looking good, but he's DEFINITELY a lucky boy not doing more damage to his own car / Vettel's car in the *touch* he had.

Kubica - ROFL. Thinks his car is a plane. Certainly flies quite well.
James Allen on Hamilton's speed

Quote :But he pushed very hard in the opening laps of the second stint, fuel adjusted he wasn’t far off Vettel’s times. On lap 35 for example, he did a 1m55.153, a second faster than Button despite being significantly heavier and only 1.3 secs slower than Vettel (who was about to pit) despite his fuel weight slowing him by 2 secs/lap.

Fuel doesn't make as big a difference in the wet but it does go to show Hamilton was very quick. Hamilton bought himself the spins by veing extremely fast. Had he not spun he would have positioned higher, but that's motorsport. He made mistakes.. so did Alonso, Button etc....

im sure its when kers runs out or they stop pressing the button they lose that "80hp" therefore engine note changes thats my thought anyway
But the thing is - the noise occurs on non-KERS cars too!

Someone on another forum reckons it's traction problems over bumps. He clearly doesn't realise how little torque and how much grip these cars have at high speeds.
It's an FIA conspiracy! *runs and hides*
My driver of the day was Timo Glock. Made up 12 places, (went from 19th to 7th), and that's with having to pit for a front wing change.
the noise is just interference lol. simplez
Quote from dawguk :Re: Hamilton being lucky

He is man. Clearly he is in a dog of a car. He is also one of only four drivers to finish in a points scoring position in the first 3 races! It is obvious that he isn't any good and is just 'lucky'.
Around here there's a saying that "luck favours the stronger"...

Formula 1 2009 Chinese GP
(315 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG