The online racing simulator
You forgot the funny part. But they were at least photos...
Quote from tristancliffe :Do you know what an aero package is, or how one is created? Or are you using words that don't mean anything to you? Because what you say is rubbish - it's not just a case of bolting on shiny new parts. It's about getting it all working together - and remember than will millions of pounds, thousand of hours, and plenty of testing they didn't make a good one to start with - why should they be able to rush one out that is any better without any testing?

But then, I'm sure you knew that. You only pretend to be ignorant.

I know it's not as simple as just bolting parts on and it will all work together, they have to go through many hours of designing, put the car in the wind tunnel to see how it is all working but the real test isn't until it's fitted to the car and ran in the race.

What's happening here?
Quote from hyntty :

What's happening here?

david coultard getting a double microphone oral injection?
Quote from J@tko :Sorry if I missed it, but have the Beeb sacked Jordan?

Quote from Mp3 Astra :Nope, he couldn't make it this weekend. But I have to say that Gascoyne is a whole lot better than Jordan!

+1

Hopefully Eddie will have to take more time off.
Quote from RossUK :Jesus christ Jonathan Legard! I can see how the cars are going round the track, that's what the bloody cameras are for!! I don't want to switch to a different commentry and lose Brundle's insightes but its seriously tempting...

Other than that it was a good race, but for once I'm looking forward to no rain next time.

I wish davidson could partner Martin Brundle. Jonathan Legard just NEVER shuts up.
His shouting at the end was approaching that of Allen circa Hungary 2006, not a good sign.

Walker could convey incredible excitement and enthusiasm without simply shouting his head off like a complete idiot.

As for Brundle, he's an excellent commentator, makes few mistakes and isn't afriad to express his opinion.
Quote from sam93 :Have you been watching the races, Mclaren don't have no where near as much downforce for their car to be a front runner. Mclaren have even said themselves that they are lacking downforce, that is why they are currently working hard on developing a new aero package.

Yes i have been watching the races, thats why i said mclaren didnt have enough downforce, so what are you arguing about? Also, speak coherent english, what the hell does "Mclaren don't have no where near as much downforce" mean?
Quote from DeKo :Yes i have been watching the races, thats why i said mclaren didnt have enough downforce, so what are you arguing about? Also, speak coherent english, what the hell does "Mclaren don't have no where near as much downforce" mean?

Oh, I thought when you said they had shit amounts of downforce. I thought you meant they had loads. You could interpret that 2 ways.
Quote from BenjiMC :aren't mclaren using a flywheel kers system?

No. Theirs is battery-driven.

Williams is the only team using flywheel KERS, but they haven't deployed them on their cars yet.
Quote from samjh :No. Theirs is battery-driven.

Williams is the only team using flywheel KERS, but they haven't deployed them on their cars yet.

pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference? wikipedia isn't helping much.
The McLaren sounds retarded lol. Sounds like a toy tbh :P. And whats up with the weird revs sometimes? It goes like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiuiiiiuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii like the e is the shift and sometimes without shifting it goes weird (the u) ???
I'm not sure if this has been posted before...

He did a pretty good job with Kate's Dirty Sister.

Quote from bunder9999 :pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference? wikipedia isn't helping much.

No worries. To explain in the simplest possible terms:

Battery-driven KERS use a battery to store the energy. The charge stored in the batteries drives a motor to provide more power to the driving wheels.

Flywheel-driven KERS use a rotating flywheel to store the energy. When the rotational speed of the flywheel is forcibly slowed down, the energy is transferred to the car's driving wheels for more power.
Quote from evilpimp :The McLaren sounds retarded lol.

got a sound clip or a video? it sounded okay to me when i was watching it this morning...

Quote from samjh :I'm not sure if this has been posted before...

HTTP 403.
Can't find any on youtube. Theres a sound almost like a momo constantly spinning.
Quote from sam93 :Oh, I thought when you said they had shit amounts of downforce. I thought you meant they had loads. You could interpret that 2 ways.

if you had actually read what i said, IE cars sliding and such, you would have realised that i was talking about having less. use the head when you post

also, the mclaren sounding weird is when its coming on and off kers, it sounds almost like a gearchange.
Quote :Flywheel-driven KERS use a rotating flywheel to store the energy. When the rotational speed of the flywheel is forcibly slowed down, the energy is transferred to the car's driving wheels for more power.

that's what i don't understand though... the engine already has a flywheel.
Quote from bunder9999 :that's what i don't understand though... the engine already has a flywheel.

its another dedicated flywheel which is solely used for storing the kers energy.
Quote from DeKo :its another dedicated flywheel which is solely used for storing the kers energy.

weird... i'd probably go for the battery+motor KERS.
Quote from bunder9999 :weird... i'd probably go for the battery+motor KERS.

we havent seen the williams system in action yet, it should be lighter than the battery system, freeing up a bit of ballast.
there isa comercial flywheel system being pushed to road manufacturers now, apart from weight a big advatage is there is no danger of a short circuit / fire / battery explosion but it has some disadvantages namely that if it breaks up it will do a very passable imitation of a handgrenade and it also has to run in a near perfect vacuum. williams apparently just repump the air out at the last mintue as the seal are more than adequate for a 2 hour race but road cars will need an air pump which will have to have completed its job before the flywheel spins, this pump also adds weight. further disadvatage's for racing are that you can't charge the system before you leave the pits so it may be impossible to have a fully charged system for a qualifying lap or race start and it also concentrates all its weight in 1 unit, an electrical kers could be built with it's components in differing parts of the car eg bmw fit their batteries in 2 packs, 1 each side of the fuel tank rather than a single unit under the tank
Quote from evilpimp : iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiuiiiiuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

All the cars sound laek that. I'm sure there's some geeky explanation for that

Quote from samjh :

I don't know if it's mentioned before but Vettel names his cars. 'Kate' was destroyed by Kuvica in Australia so this one is a dirty sister... And apparently dirty sisters make him more exited.
Quote from evilpimp :The McLaren sounds retarded lol. Sounds like a toy tbh :P. And whats up with the weird revs sometimes? It goes like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii e iiiiiiiiiiuiiiiuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii like the e is the shift and sometimes without shifting it goes weird (the u) ???

Quote from DeKo :also, the mclaren sounding weird is when its coming on and off kers, it sounds almost like a gearchange.

This is confusing almost EVERYONE, even commentators. I'm 100% sure this "sound" is not KERS kicking in. KERS is only noticable as a sudden increase in acceleration, nothing else, no change to engine sound.

What you are actually hearing is interference in the signal of the onboard audio feed, causing the audio speed to change or stutter momentarily.

I don't know whats causing the interference, it could be related to the electrical energy in the KERS system, I really don't know TBH.

Formula 1 2009 Chinese GP
(315 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG