The online racing simulator
Quote from Darkone55 :What do you play normally? What kind of stuff? Jazz, pop?

I grew up on punk, 2 Tone ska, funk, disco, hip-hop and acid jazz playing bass guitar and fretless. I do listen to some old bop stuff, Mingus and Coltrane and stuff like that, and stuff like Horace Silver and Cannonball Adderley and Art Blakey and Herbie Hancock and a bit of Django now and then, but I've never done a proper jazz gig.

Currently I'm doing the occasional bit of recording for people on double bass, but mostly doing a rocksteady / reggae / punk rock band, playing bass guitar and singing harmony. But me and the guitarist (and hopefully the drummer too) are planning to go out busking when the weather warms up, so we'll be out in the street playing old Alton Ellis, Toots, Desmond Dekker -type tunes this summer. Should be a nice way to spend summer afternoons, and York is always full of tourists.
I recently bought a guitar, a Gibson SG called Sally. I spent most of my first week with her waiting for the weekend so I could buy a replacement high E string, having had my road to rock godess interupted by newbie clumsiness after the first couple of days.

So make the most of me whilst you can, soon I'll be a famous rock chick and will leave this rainy old forum. If your real lucky I'll buy you a Scirocco.

I'm finding it really ruddy hard, I'm like an old dog trying to learn a new trick, none the less having played one or two chords correctly now I'm really enjoyin it . Look out world, another 8-20 years practice and here I come.
Good luck Becky. FWIW when a string breaks it's often a good idea to replace the whole set, otherwise the remaining strings will have a duller timbre than the new one which can sound weird.

At least a set of electric guitar strings are fairly cheap. I've just been looking at steels for this upright...
Quote from thisnameistaken :This followed me home today and my girlfriend says we can keep it:

http://teop.org/media/db2.jpg

Haha, that's a Fender bass in the gig bag behind it - gives a sense of perspective!

Isn't it going to tire you out putting a strap on that and hanging it on your shoulders? I'd think the bass behind it would be far more comfortable. Even sitting down it would be tough it sitting on your leg.

Quote :At least a set of electric guitar strings are fairly cheap. I've just been looking at steels for this upright...

Ouch! I've got a total of $13 in replacing the strings on both my acoustic and electric.

Becky, cool! My acoustic's name is Sally Sue. The kids named her. They named the electric Hot Rox, but I call her Roxy. Just learning is frustrating, but it comes quick. The fingers feel weak and stupid for a while but then get sorted out pretty quickly.
i stopped playing my acoustic some time ago. it needs a truss rod adjustment, some new strings and a better player.
I haven't played bass this compulsively for ages; my picking fingers are sore and my left arm is like jelly. It's bloody good fun this thing, and immensely satisfying to thump souly grooves out of it.

It's definitely staying.
Little update on my side...

Sometime ago i did some collab work with an MC called Big Slim from the states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2wYQzZDyo

Recently he approached me and told me to call his homie who's doing the studio work for him, he'd like to talk about doing some business together.

They have a brand called CapRule which consists of a group of MC's so far, including Big Slim. They now want to build a team of producers to add to the brand. I was asked to join this team and after some phone conversations yesterday, i agreed to join and work for their brand.

I'm excited!
Awesome.
Keep up us to date with what you're doing with them, that track is pretty cool.
Thanks man, that means a lot to me actually!

Yeah, the reason why i started working with him is because he has some good lyrics (this track is not the best example, the lyrics are cool, but he has some other tracks with real good messages/lyrical content). You can find his youtube page in the video description of that track by the way... check out "come home" and "city limits" from his page.

Many people have forgotten what Hip Hop is actually about (something good, positive, blabla), and he is one of the few people that still take pride in the original culture that is/was Hip Hop.

I'll keep you posted!
You must be dead chuffed Jibber, grats.

At the other end of the scale i've stopped breaking top E strings and started breaking bottom E strings.

I call it progress!
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
i just got me a les paul body eiphone ( hung over, english is difficult )

only played it twice but love it.

will be picking up a few pedals in the next few days so it should sound pretty decent though im no gary moore im sure ill have my moments in the days to come.

I just got done tracking the bass part, the fuzz bass part, and the Boss OC-2 bass part for one of the songs going on our next EP.

Also just found out we're doing a live acoustic session on BBC local radio at the end of the month. Quite looking forward to dragging my double bass into a radio studio.
Great happening Kev and Jibber. Good luck guys.

on the other hand i'd love to jam with you Kev, maybe some reggae, jazz, and DnB. Pop and hip-hop too.
(I play drums)
Quote from thisnameistaken :I just got done tracking the bass part, the fuzz bass part, and the Boss OC-2 bass part for one of the songs going on our next EP.

Also just found out we're doing a live acoustic session on BBC local radio at the end of the month. Quite looking forward to dragging my double bass into a radio studio.

link when your their...

is it a pre-recorded or live ?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I just got done tracking the bass part, the fuzz bass part, and the Boss OC-2 bass part for one of the songs going on our next EP.

Can we listen somewhere?
Quote from jibber :Can we listen somewhere?

Depends how awful it is

TIN: I suppose it will be pre-recorded, I hadn't really given it much thought. Actually it might not be our full band now, they're saying they might not have room for all of us. That will definitely mean I get cut because my instrument is bigger than me.

At least the band will be made starkly aware of how the tunes sound without the bass parts.
Bass is da backbone.
Lets us know man.
Well I finaly got my phone replaced so I could do a new recording, this is me ten months on playing some crap I made up, "Twiddly Dee Twiddle Doo".

The more I learn about playing guitar the more I realise that there is for me to learn. I'll never master it, but I am enjoying every moment I spend with it - which is quite a lot more moments than my playing skill suggests...
We've decided it will be acoustic guitar, double bass, trumpet or melodica or both, shakey percussion and three voices. We'll be doing two or three tunes, roots reggae and ska.

We'll be recording it live on the 30th, no broadcast date set but we've got a gig supporting Sonic Boom Six on the 14th of December so it will probably go out Sat 11th December to coincide with that.

The show is usually available on iPlayer for a week after it's broadcast so I'll plug it here when it happens. Quite excited about it - I don't have many gigs on upright these days except busking (which is less and less frequent since temperatures dropped to single figures) and I really love playing the upright.
Quote from Becky Rose :Well I finaly got my phone replaced so I could do a new recording, this is me ten months on playing some crap I made up, "Twiddly Dee Twiddle Doo".

The more I learn about playing guitar the more I realise that there is for me to learn. I'll never master it, but I am enjoying every moment I spend with it - which is quite a lot more moments than my playing skill suggests...

You're doing well for your first year on guitar IMO. It sounds like you do have a musical talent, you're just restricted by mechanical skills and instrument/theory knowledge at the moment.

The more noodling you do the quicker you'll improve obviously, but I would recommend finding a good teacher if you can afford it. And when I say a good teacher I mean someone who understands music theory, not just someone who is a good guitar player. To play fluidly you need to be able to think faster than your hands can move, anticipate what's coming up while you're playing what's happening right now and find classy ways of getting there. That only happens when you learn the theory at the same speed as the chops.

A lot of players totally neglect the theory side because they are fairly happy with the sounds they're making already and don't feel they are missing anything. It's only when the technique starts to plateau or when you start playing with proper musicians that you find out how shit you are and how many years you've wasted just moving your hands around without really understanding what they're doing.
Roots Reggae, and Ska. Hellz yeah.
id love to hear what you guys sound like.
Visiting a good old thread which actually apeals to me and forces me to not write like the whore I am

Anyhow -

I am currently thinking of buying the program called "Record". I have only been doing minor testings with the demo version, and have just started learning to make simple beats and riffs with bass/drums.

I just... struggles soooo much trying to be original.. and that's what's keeping me from buying this program atm. I feel whatever I make is simply... not good, and it's no fun making crappy music. I am no expert at playing guitar, but I can play some songs from various bands, been playing for 6 years, but whenever I try making something compltely from scatch it's either allways sounding the same or it just sucks balls.

Are there any way to actually... well this sounds retarded but hey.. improve your creativity when it comes to music? I like to belive I'm a musical man - meaning I likes to play various music with various instruments, but I want to be able creating some songs too.

Also, would you people recommend using money on Record? Just looking at the program is like going from paint to photoshop without seen it before.. it's crazy.. the sky is limit with this program and I am trying to justify myself to buy it.

LFS Forum Musicians
(409 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG