The online racing simulator
LFS Forum Musicians
(409 posts, started )
I'm a Musician of love
#27 - CSU1
Quote from AstroBoy :I'm a Musician of love

I suppose you play the flute mainly?

music...erm, a bit like theirishnoobs story I suppose, picked up the acoustic guitar at a very early age and have been playing at least a half hour a day for the past 15 years, not a serious musician just a hobbyist and a jester to the drunken masses.

Pubs, clubs and small audiences not to mention picking up the meteor award at the Royal Albert Hall in 2007(I think, I can't recall too much of that night)

website - N/A

Have not played this past two weeks due to having the age-old argument with a vending machine whilst under the influence of tequila resulting in two messed up knuckles.
I'm hoping to build my own custom Les Paul next year
#29 - 5haz
Les Paul? You sir have taste.

Everyone seems to have Stratocasters (or various cheap copies) these days, they have a lovely tone but that counts for nothing when all people ever seem to use them for round 'ere is shitty punk music. :rolleyes:

And on topic: I'm still shit at guitar, getting better, might record/video some stuff before long.
Quote from 5haz :Les Paul? You sir have taste.

Om Nom Nom.

I personally don't like the Stratocasters, far too common. I like the legendary shapes, like the SG and Les Paul.

Quote from 5haz :Everyone seems to have Stratocasters (or various cheap copies) these days, they have a lovely tone but that counts for nothing when all people ever seem to use them for round 'ere is shitty punk music. :rolleyes:

I have a les paul and don't use it for playing punk music.
He was talking about Stratocasters
#33 - 5haz
Quote from jibber :I have a les paul and don't use it for playing punk music.

Good for you maan.

I mean around here, the music scene is pretty crap.

And yeah, I do like the single cutaway shape that most Gibsons have (although the SG is lovely too), not so keen on Fenders. (although I do have a fake Fender P bass in a cupboard somewhere).
My guitar is a Hohner HW220 acoustic.
I hesitated to post, because I don't know if you can call me a musician....
But since I did alot of songs with Fruity Loops

- Artist Name
I'm not sure you can call me an "artist"... But still, my name is Jorge Paula Pinheiro
- Genre
Let's call it Metal...
- Experience and History
Never played any instrument but use Fruity Loops for some years.The problem is that guitar sound a bit strange with this program But I tried to make it sound as good as possible
- Software
Fruity Loops 8
- Website
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 8A29164164240&index=0
- anything else you want to let us know about
I have not the pretention to be an artist but wanted to share what I did with you
Quote from Sir moi 407 :The problem is that guitar sound a bit strange with this program

Get yourself NI Guitar Rig. 4 is the newest version but I'm on 3 myself. It's an FX insert and it's very, very good.

Couple with a nice guitar generator (Can't remember the name and my Add > Channels list is far too long to find it :P A few minutes on Google and KVR should come up with it) and it's lovely for guitars of all types, from acoustic souly bidness to heavily distorted trashy stuff.
Ah go on, I've got 5 minutes to kill...

Quote from jibber :Please share a few basic informations about yourself... something along the lines of:

- Artist Name

Kev.

Quote from jibber :- Genre

Ska/rocksteady/hip-hop. But no, not like Sonic Boom Six. Not even remotely metal.

Quote from jibber :- Experience and History

20 years playing, over 500 gigs ranging from youth clubs and toilet-circuit pubs to festivals and 2000-capacity theatres.

Quote from jibber :- Instruments

Bass guitar, fretless, occasionally upright (but I'm between uprights at the moment, makes me sound like a goalie), bit of anything else I need to play to record.

Quote from jibber :- Hardware

'91 Warwick Thumb 4, '94 Stingray fretless, Squier Jazz strung with flats, a dozen effects pedals (OC-2, EHX BMS, Chunk O.S. Bassballs, Meatball filter clone, Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth, DOD 490, Malekko 'Ekko' 600, er... old B&H trombone, Hohner steel-strung acoustic, 2 x cheap ukuleles, LP bongos, SH101, there's more in the loft but I forget.

Quote from jibber :- Software

Pro Tools, Reason

Quote from jibber :- Website

Our trumpet player nominated herself to do that last night, we're lazy.

Quote from jibber :- anything else you want to let us know about

We need a section for drugs and STDs.
i hate dragging up "old" threads, but i'm gonna do it anyways.

i've wanted to get into music production for a long time now, but with "rock" the way it's been going (to shit, basically around the time y2k swept through), i never got around to doing it.

rather intruiged with what people have been making on youtube in terms of beats and improv-ish music. been listening to ronald jenkees (i'm sure i posted a video here before), this one guy named taurus, as well as scooter, daft punk, eminem, ludacris, and kanye west.

i've done video editing before, and i've played around with FL studio a bit, but i can't seem to find the right stuff to sample, or maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. what i'd really like would be to do some chiptune remixes. anyone here done samping like that before? i'm not sure what genre i'm looking for, either "techo" or "rap".
Quote from bunder9999 :
i can't seem to find the right stuff to sample, or maybe i'm just not looking hard enough.

All those guys from the old 'golden age' rap outfits back before sampling got outlawed had an encyclopaedic knowledge of old funk records and a real ear for what they could re-work into something new. You just have to buy a lot of records. Old vinyl and a pair of turntables is actually better for this than digital - you can 'audition' samples easier with your hands, really get the feel of them and think more creatively about them. In my first "proper" band when I was a kid, we had a song where the chorus was just James Brown's first 'Please!' at the start of Please, Please, Please, cut in a transform-scratch style. Never would've thought of it if my mate hadn't had it on vinyl.

Quote from bunder9999 :what i'd really like would be to do some chiptune remixes. anyone here done samping like that before?

You mean sampling instruments? TBH with a good old analogue synth (or a good modelling synth) and an understanding of how subtractive synthesis works you wouldn't need to sample. I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to have to build up a sample library of a SID chip...
Quote from bunder9999 :no, i mean more like http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00565/

Ah right. Well there are whole discs full of breakbeats you can pick up, or giant archives of Rex files or whatever. Ultimately though I say it's better to just buy tonnes of funk records, get some booze in and some friends round and put them on your turntable and see what you end up with.

I usually started with a sample rather than going looking for a sample to suit something though. Sometimes listening to something will make you think of something else, and that's the point where you either pursue it and try to make it into something else or you do nothing.

But it all comes down to listening to a lot of music, really. And playing instruments helps.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Ultimately though I say it's better to just buy tonnes of funk records, get some booze in and some friends round and put them on your turntable and see what you end up with.

I usually started with a sample rather than going looking for a sample to suit something though. Sometimes listening to something will make you think of something else, and that's the point where you either pursue it and try to make it into something else or you do nothing.

But it all comes down to listening to a lot of music, really. And playing instruments helps.

Quote from thisnameistaken : You just have to buy a lot of records. Old vinyl and a pair of turntables is actually better for this than digital - you can 'audition' samples easier with your hands, really get the feel of them and think more creatively about them.

The man speaks the truth.
Quote from bunder9999 :i hate dragging up "old" threads, but i'm gonna do it anyways.

i've wanted to get into music production for a long time now, but with "rock" the way it's been going (to shit, basically around the time y2k swept through), i never got around to doing it.

rather intruiged with what people have been making on youtube in terms of beats and improv-ish music. been listening to ronald jenkees (i'm sure i posted a video here before), this one guy named taurus, as well as scooter, daft punk, eminem, ludacris, and kanye west.

i've done video editing before, and i've played around with FL studio a bit, but i can't seem to find the right stuff to sample, or maybe i'm just not looking hard enough. what i'd really like would be to do some chiptune remixes. anyone here done samping like that before? i'm not sure what genre i'm looking for, either "techo" or "rap".

re chiptunes;

You'd be best to generate the sounds instead of sampling. As they're only oldskool bleeps and bips, they're not hard to recreate.

There's even an "arcade" preset pack for Vanguard IIRC (even contains a lot of the classic LFO'd and PWM'd sounds), but I'd personally recommend something like V-Station or maybe even Sylenth1 for that sorta sound.
Quote from Syfoon :re chiptunes;

You'd be best to generate the sounds instead of sampling. As they're only oldskool bleeps and bips, they're not hard to recreate.

There's even an "arcade" preset pack for Vanguard IIRC (even contains a lot of the classic LFO'd and PWM'd sounds), but I'd personally recommend something like V-Station or maybe even Sylenth1 for that sorta sound.

i was playing around with it a couple weeks ago, and what i was doing was transposing the notes from nsfplay into fl studio. recording half-second samples for pure tone waveforms didn't seem to make much sense.
Quote from bunder9999 :i was playing around with it a couple weeks ago, and what i was doing was transposing the notes from nsfplay into fl studio. recording half-second samples for pure tone waveforms didn't seem to make much sense.

I haven't used FL Studio but if there's a soft synth in there that will produce square and triangle waves, a distortion effect and a decent 12db/oct low-pass filter, then you should be able to make the sounds yourself.

Maybe look for a bitcrusher plugin too, and maybe a vibrato effect (or if poss. modulate the pulse width from your OSC using an LFO, but you'd need a nifty synth to do that). You could probably get both out of a ring modulator actually.
FL is easy to use by far and large, but creating your own synth mesh and sine waves can be difficult, Sytrus is a good place to start, you're probably find theres enough presets for most VSTs so you don't need to bother making one, you can just modify an existing one, it's much easier, and if modified enough it sounds nothing like the original preset. After all, all presets are, are presets that all derive from the VST generators generic sound, so it's not like you are modifying someone elses work or anything like that.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I haven't used FL Studio but if there's a soft synth in there that will produce square and triangle waves, a distortion effect and a decent 12db/oct low-pass filter, then you should be able to make the sounds yourself.

Maybe look for a bitcrusher plugin too, and maybe a vibrato effect. You could probably get both out of a ring modulator actually.

In a stock version of FLS, you could use 3xOSC for the square and tri's, Fruity Fast Dist for the distortion and Fruity Free Filter for the LPF.

I'd recommend using V-Station for the waves though, much more control. CamelPhat for the distortion (TBH, there's loads of dist's about and most do a decent job) and TAL Multi Filter (freeware!) for the LPF.

Bitcrusher, you want Decimort.

Unless you know what you're doing or have a lot of hours free, I really would recommend you go hunting for some arcade presets and the VST they need.

Just had a quick flick through my Vanguard presets and there's a few in there that have chiptune-esque percussion (kicks, hats, rides, lasers, snares etc) and some with the usual Gameboy style bleepy nonsense.
Eyy guys, are EMG humbucker pick-ups any good?

For the price, they should be
#50 - vari
Quote from brandons48 :Eyy guys, are EMG humbucker pick-ups any good?

For the price, they should be

James Hetfield and Mark Knopfler (among others) seem to think so and I have a couple as well so yea EMG 60 and 81 waiting for an LP style body at the moment though.

They're very much noise free, I guess it comes down to whether you like the sound. I'd say they sound unique but good pickups definitely.

LFS Forum Musicians
(409 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG