The online racing simulator
Quote from JeffR :Depends on the car. It happens in the last invitational event, time eliminator at Nordschleife with the McLaren F1. The McLaren is very bounce prone.

Im gonna try that car on quick race

Weird, ive had a little break in shift for now. But when i played it 24/7 and made myself to Tier 3 pretty fast then i kinda got used to the handling and it was pretty easy to drive. Now its all oversteering again
NFS WO looks better then shift imho.
Anyone still interested in Shift? Well I know not many people here are, but it seems like EA have got 2 new things to add within the next 2 weeks.

1) The new patch has been given dates:
http://nfsunlimited.net/news/view/18068

w00t for PS3 patch being out first!

2) 5 new cars and a new game mode is being given out for FREE. Yes, you heard, EA gave new content for free. Wait, I think SMS did, they aren't money hogs. Much.
http://nfsunlimited.net/news/view/18066

tbh, I am only interested in the Supra. The others are basically american junk which can't go round corners.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :

tbh, I am only interested in the Supra. The others are basically american junk which can't go round corners.

Like you would notice that. Are those cars PS3 only, or all?

The game makers have lost their freaking minds, releasing games/beta's on a console BEFORE the PC, freaking idiots.
Quote from Bose321 :Like you would notice that. Are those cars PS3 only, or all?

The game makers have lost their freaking minds, releasing games/beta's on a console BEFORE the PC, freaking idiots.

1) They are for all platforms.

2) Don't be such a console-ist. Be glad you will get your patch... someday.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :1) They are for all platforms.

2) Don't be such a console-ist. Be glad you will get your patch... someday.

I couldn't care less about getting a patch or not for the game, ages ago I played it.
Quote from Bose321 :Like you would notice that. Are those cars PS3 only, or all?

The reason they do that is probably because of piracy, just a wild guess.
-
(Shadowww) DELETED by Shadowww
Quote from Bose321 :Are those cars PS3 only, or all?

All versions. It's a bit of annoyance, because the put those cars in your garage as opposed to the car lot, and you can remove them from your garage. When selecting cars for online play, you have to scroll past these 'collector' cars.

Quote :Releasing games/beta's on a console before the PC

Somewhat separated teams from what I undestand.

Quote from G!NhO :The reason they do that is probably because of piracy.

Since the consoles are fixed platform, the code is probably simpler. Regarding piracy, I recall some recent console game was cracked before it was officially released.
Quite the ::bump::
Well, the patch is out for PC, and it's GREAT! Finally the game is how it was supposed to be from the beginning. It's great fun now, awesome performance and drives really nice.
Still crashes for me, shame it isnt solved. usually happens when I get an invitational event.
My patch 1.02 "review":

Bounce issue - problem cars like the works Camaro and the McLaren F1 were "fixed". The tracks weren't changed so the bouncy spots are still there, and although the bouncing is a bit smoother, the cars can still end up bouncing off track in to a wall. Dakota Tri Oval and Rustle Creek still have the same "seam bug" where car body parts snag on some invisble seam in the track, causing the cars to bounce badly, usually slamming into walls.

Handling - Steering sensitivity seems decreased. The hidden traction control is decreased, affecting the works Z06 the most, which now requires more precise throttle inputs if you run all assists off. After adjusting to these changes, my lap times are about the same as before.

Grip - This wasn't changed directly. However the grip level is affected by the players system (fast systems with nvidia cars seem to get the most grip), so if your frame rate was increased by the patch, your grip level may also have increased due to the game's sensitivity to system performance.

Setups - The setup values were tweaked by patch 1.02. Max values are now working, but they also lowered the limits of some settings. The Z06's max downforce was reduced from 60 to 25, so it's not the super high downforce car it was before, good for the short tracks like Alpental and Tokyo Circuit. Tire pressures settings may need to be moved one click left to get them the same as before. The bars in the gear menu are working, but when setting gearing just use the top of the bars (max speed at redline), and space them somewhat evenly. The displayed ratio values are way off in some cases, but the top of the bars seem to be OK. The only car I had that really needed to be regeared was the MX5 I use for 4.0 racing, I had to move 4th, 5th, all the way left, and 6th 1 click from left.

Lambo Murc - it's fixed now so you can tune it. Zonda R is still faster at most tracks, so I'm trying max downforce setting with the Murc as an alternative to the works Z06 for short tracks.

Z06 - I noticed differential settings got changed to 0 0 80, resulting in a very oversteery car. Not knowing what else was glitched by the patch, I reset to default, then retuned the Z06.

Mods - I manually do this myself, using the unpacker, editing files, and then repacking. I remove headshake, and turn off collision and motion blur effects. So I just redid these.

Headshake - bootpersistent\cameras\cameraconfig.xml - parameter HeadPhysicsScale set to (0;0;0) (there are multiple instances of these in cameraconfig.xml).

Collsion Blur - igphaseactivate\cameras\collisionblur.xml - parameter maxblur set to 0.0

MotionBlur (cockpit) - igphaseactivate\cameras\speeddepthoffield.xml - parameter MaxBlur near_low="0.00" near_high="0.0" far="0.0".
I like shift and had no big problems before (or after) the patch, despite having an ATI 4870. Though after the patch, I noticed the absence of the exaggerated snap oversteer and the FFB feels a better.

Patch or no, I still drive pathetically bad in this game. If I try to drive like I do in LFS (smooth and precise), I'm really slow. There's some sort of balance between aggression and precision that I can't figure out.
A lot of my problem seems to be the braking (same with LFS). I can't heel-toe properly in SHIFT like I do in LFS. It's like the pedal inputs lag or something. I also can't brake with any sort of precision because it's impossible to tell what the tires are doing- if they're locked up or what. I never know how hard I should be pressing the pedal. Sometimes I'll brake really hard several car-lengths behind an AI, yet they make the turn and I fly off the track as if my brakes failed.:bananadea

The driving is fun, but I should be way faster. I'm only on tier 2 and the AI seems really really hard.

...this is all kind of random I guess, but I just played Shift and needed to rant.

Anyone have any driving tips for SHIFT?
Quote from ultrataco :I like shift and had no big problems before (or after) the patch, despite having an ATI 4870. Though after the patch, I noticed the absence of the exaggerated snap oversteer and the FFB feels a better.

Patch or no, I still drive pathetically bad in this game. If I try to drive like I do in LFS (smooth and precise), I'm really slow. There's some sort of balance between aggression and precision that I can't figure out.
A lot of my problem seems to be the braking (same with LFS). I can't heel-toe properly in SHIFT like I do in LFS. It's like the pedal inputs lag or something. I also can't brake with any sort of precision because it's impossible to tell what the tires are doing- if they're locked up or what. I never know how hard I should be pressing the pedal. Sometimes I'll brake really hard several car-lengths behind an AI, yet they make the turn and I fly off the track as if my brakes failed.:bananadea

The driving is fun, but I should be way faster. I'm only on tier 2 and the AI seems really really hard.

...this is all kind of random I guess, but I just played Shift and needed to rant.

Anyone have any driving tips for SHIFT?

you just perfectly described my problems
I've never been very good at braking (in sims), but at least in LFS I can pretty much tell if I'm doing it right or not (mostly by listening to the tire noise) and make corrections and improve. In Shift it's all guesswork and trial-and-error.

Also, in shift, sometimes I'm going around a corner at what I think is the limit, then I press the gas more and I stay on the line. It's just really hard to find the limit and stay there. Shift is easy to pick up and drive, but very difficult to master. It's fun and frustrating. I enjoy just driving more than racing, (though that's true with LFS and GT, too), but I want to complete the game before I spend time just doing hotlaps.

:cookiemon

Quote from ultrataco :Anyone have any driving tips for SHIFT?

Techniques:

Drive like you were running a drift event. There's some hidden traction control assist that can't be turned off, making it difficult to accelerate while turning. High speed turns are generally power limited as opposed to grip limited, which is why I use 0/1 downforce settings for most tracks. Willow Springs with the Zonda R is a good track to learn this at, mostly turn 2 and 9 since they are long sweeping turns. For turn 2, I ease off the throttle, turn in sharply to get the rear end out, then go full throttle and use steering inputs to guide the car. Steering hard will increase oversteer a bit (as opposed to inducing understeer), scrubbing off speed. If the car oversteers too much, it ends up losing more speed than easing off the throttle, so there's a balance here. Turn 8 is flat out in 5th gear (with my savegame setup), just be sure take an inside line and allow the car to drift to the outside at corner exit. For turn 9, I ease off the throttle and downshift into 4th gear, aim a bit inwards, then let the car scrub off speed and drift back to the outside to setup the apex. I'm back at full throttle well before the apex. Video of Willow Springs in Zonda R demonstrating drift style of driving the game seems to favor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBSg1eG_cys&fmt=22

Exploits:

Autoclutch off for fast launches - you get dragster like launches if you turn off autoclutch and traction control, if you use manual shift. Shift into 1st before the start, and hold rpms between pefect launch and redline, then go full throttle once car starts to move. Shifting doesn't need to use clutch, even with autoclutch off, but it's better to lift throttle on some cars to prevent clutch slippage. In my savegame, the MX5 is the only car that likes lift throtle.

Downshifting while at speed before braking - The game has the equivalent of an slipper clutch that limits engine braking. Some cars like the EVO IX setup for 10.0 events, downshift slowy under lift throttle, usually upsetting the car if the downshift occurs while turning. To avoid this, you can downshift quickly while at full throttle before braking during corner approach. For the Donnington chicane with the EVO IX setup for 10.0 level, I'm flat out in 6th and downshift into 2nd gear while still at full throttle just before braking.

Braking is faster with ABS off and downshifting while braking - For most cars in Shift, braking distances are shorter if ABS is off and you downshift prematurely while braking, unless the car has the slow downshift issue like the EVO IX.

Link to a savegame of the cars with the setups I use for online. I just updated these for patch 1.02. I don't use any of the new cars, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to delete them, so just ignore them. I use low downforce in all cars, except Murc and Z06 which are setup for short tracks. The Z06 isn't as good as it was before the patch, because maximum downforce was decreased from 60 to 24.

http://rcgldr.net/nfss/nfss.zip
Wow, thanks. That helps but I'm still not very good. (I already had auto clutch and ABS off.)

I just spent two hours trying to do the Carrera GT invitational at Spa. :bananadea:chair::gnasher: I think I only completed 2 or 3 full laps (not consecutively) in many many restarts. The stupid super-human AI are insane. I passed two at the start for 10th place, then just hoped the rest would crash. Then if I missed the giant invisible bump :gnasher: on Eau Rouge , I'd get up to 7th or 8th (sometimes) by being stupidly aggressive (and lucky) at the chicane after the long straight when the ai bunch up and crash into each other. Then it was simply a matter of trying as hard as possible to keep blocking the guys behind me without crashing, but they either pass me or wreck into me (usually both) or I'd go off track despite going slower than the ai :grumpy:.

I finally gave up and turned the AI down to medium, which was a bit too easy, but once I was in first place I enjoyed driving the GT around Spa. I'll probably have to stick with medium when I get to tier 4/5 (and maybe 3). Less rewarding, but more fun I guess. (And it will definitely save lots of time.)

:arge:

/rant
I just raced a stock GT3RS against a Works 'rocco around the ring, the rocco kept on me through a few corners, then the stupid little bastard crashed me.

Not really a game for clean racing.
Quote from brandons48 :I just raced a stock GT3RS against a Works 'rocco around the ring, the rocco kept on me through a few corners, then the stupid little bastard crashed me.

Not really a game for clean racing.

If that was online, then what do you expect? Of course people are going to race like that on a game which has opponents. That is what I like about DiRT 2's rally/trailblazer online. The competitors are either staged 10 secs after the car before or ghost cars.

If that was offline, then you could have just crashed the AI at Turn 1!
Quote from Furiously-Fast :If that was online, then what do you expect? Of course people are going to race like that on a game which has opponents. That is what I like about DiRT 2's rally/trailblazer online. The competitors are either staged 10 secs after the car before or ghost cars.

If that was offline, then you could have just crashed the AI at Turn 1!

It was online, but it was the first time someone had shunted me out like that.

I like to race stock cars on SHIFT, makes some nice close racing sometimes
Yeah, stock car racing is fun on Shift (Offline that is. Just use a Works Murcielargo or Zonda R online!) It is the only way I can enjoy the slow cars like the Focus ST, Civic Si and the... umm.... Scirocco.
When making a game you can change the preferred car rating when joining or creating a custom game.

I hate the works murc / Zonda R people, only way they can win is by using the most powerful car there.

Stick the field in stock R34's, and I owned their asses.

According to needforspeed.sk it's only for X360, so where's the logic...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG