The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
mine will never rust :P
Quote from R3DMAN :mine will never rust :P

I checked out your car project site, and I gotta say, that's the first Punto that I would actually love to drive!

It's actually amazing
Quote from R3DMAN :mine will never rust :P

As I recall Lotus used aluminium. Stay away from salt water, it ruins aluminium faster than it does steel. QEII was made of aluminium for weight saving reasons, it meant she spent more time in dry dock than it would if she was made of steel. Be especially cautious if there is any steel or iron in the mix, as that also turns aluminium to rust, which is what turns Land Rover Defenders to rust on a regular basis.
Quote from Jakg :
Bumpers gone, crashbars gone, mounts for crashbar have all moved quite a lot, parcel shelfs popped out (suggesting some deformation up there), boot lids gone, boot no longer opens, wouldn't be suprised if the boot floor is compressed.

Really? The bumper is ruined? It looked fine there.....

You can't know that the boot floor is compressed just by the fact the door doesn't open, a slight amount of distortion on hte hinges can render a door unable to open, OR close. Once the hinges aren't facing parallel the door will no longer open, you yourself contradict yourself, by saying the boot compression caused the door useless but the distortion popping the parcel shelf out didn't? And the boot lid was there.... That's the bit where the number plate is, you know ,the thing you fascinate about fading out?

So the bumper and the boot lid were damaged, so according to you, after they are damaged they just no longer exist? You can't erase things from existance just because they are damaged

Oh and by the way, the wind can blow a parcel shelf out of joint, infact, I can bash it with my hand (in a ford anyway) and it will jump onto the rear seat... I think you're over analyzing it, sure insurance company will definately write it off, but damage isn't that bad. Was probably your mothers fault anyway, braking hard for an amber light when another vehicle was behind.

I bet the incident was caused by her braking for a 'red light'.

Be honest, was it?
Quote from BlueFlame :Really? The bumper is ruined? It looked fine there..... The boot floor isn't compressed, a slight amount of distortion on hte hinges can render a door unable to open, OR close. Once the hinges aren't facing parallel the door will no longer open. And the boot lid was there.... That's the bit where the number plate is, you know ,the thing you fascinate about fading out?

Oh and by the way, the wind can blow a parcel shelf out of joint, infact, I can bash it with my hand (in a ford anyway) and it will jump onto the rear seat... I think you're over analyzing it, sure insurance company will definately write it off, but damage isn't that bad. Was probably your mothers fault anyway, braking hard for an amber light when another vehicle was behind.

I bet the incident was caused by her braking for a 'red light'.

Be honest, was it?

I dont think you'll get the rear bumper straight again, look at the distortion...

I don't think it'll be written off tho - it's a late 2004 diesel, which has a book of just over £3k.

By "gone" i meant "damaged beyond repair".

The hinges are probably fine, the boot line hasn't moved at all at the top. I'm guessing that either the catch has been distorted, or something worse.

The parcel shelf *could* of just been knocked out, but it could also imply that something has bent slightly.

And no, it wasn't her fault (although she has a lot of accidents which are). She was stationary, empty road in front (at a junction), van driver just assumed she was going to pull out so pulled away straight into the back of her.

I also said "I wouldn't be suprised if" the boot floor was compressed - I can't be sure, but everythings moved quite a long way back at the rear of the car. The crashbar is usually held ~6 inches from the wheel well by brackets, but these have been compressed to nothing so the crash bar is now touching the wheel wheel.

And dear god your an internet expert...
Quote from Jakg :I dont think you'll get the rear bumper straight again, look at the distortion...

I don't think it'll be written off tho - it's a late 2004 diesel, which has a book of just over £3k.

The hinges are probably fine, the boot line hasn't moved at all at the top. I'm guessing that either the catch has been distorted, or something worse.

The parcel shelf *could* of just been knocked out, but it could also imply that something has bent slightly.

Trust me, if the rear end is distorted that much and the crash bar is so far forward, it's gonna be a right off, believe me. I've seen plenty of cars with less damage than that, that were classified as write offs.

Oh, I see what you mean, but if that's the case the whole car is gone.

Yes, if it's not the hinges then it would definately be the boot catch, unless the car was hit at the rear from a side angle, bowing the boot lid outwards.

If the parcel shelf was knocked out due to distortion, it would most probably be wedged in an awkward/unnatural manner rather than just floating about loose in the car, also if it's distorted the plastic tray it sits on would surely be cracked in a few places.
Quote from Jakg :I dont think you'll get the rear bumper straight again, look at the distortion...

And no, it wasn't her fault (although she has a lot of accidents which are). She was stationary, empty road in front (at a junction), van driver just assumed she was going to pull out so pulled away straight into the back of her.

And dear god your an internet expert...

That is a cheap and easy fix, the boot latch will be jammed hence it not opening, a simple bit of pry bar action will pop that bitch open. You'll need a new bumper and boot. Jobs a good'en. Maybe 20 minutes on a jig if the rear is stoved in, or 20 minutes down a scrap yard and a cutting disc. But that is back yard work, if insurance is paying that Fiesta is going to a bodyshop and a lot of shiny new bits. Sucks the be the van drivers insurance broker though.
On topic my cars nearly done, just need to put my wheels on it and lower it a bit really and a few little things.

From this:

To this:

Quote from R3DMAN :car has been mapped now, here is the power graph

HOLY SHIT!
so smooth
Also, gotta love that australia is such a dry country. no rust to worry about usually.
Quote from Klutch :HOLY SHIT!
so smooth

I like how the CF smoothing just casually isn't in the picture
My New car!

It's a nissan 200sx with MAX suspension, kazz 2way lockind diff... deadly super bald tyres and hopefully just a rad problem.
Cheers,
Stu
Attached images
IMG_0831.JPG
Quote from Klutch :HOLY SHIT!
so smooth

Keeps the customer happy if the don't show the truth, so they're much more likely to be paid, and stops punters realising that rolling road figures should be binned (or at least have the numbers torn off the sides).

As it's so smooth it's almost certainly tweaked, and as such worthless information.

And no, no need to worry about rust. Just ally corrosion and glue failure
Quote from tristancliffe :Keeps the customer happy if the don't show the truth, so they're much more likely to be paid, and stops punters realising that rolling road figures should be binned (or at least have the numbers torn off the sides).

As it's so smooth it's almost certainly tweaked, and as such worthless information.

I was thinking the same... IIRC that VX220 is supercharged, I'd expect more torque than that anyway.
Basically still the same car and the pics are just crappy cell phone pics... However, new clutch and diff installed, running super smooth again! Me very happy!

Quote from tristancliffe :Keeps the customer happy if the don't show the truth, so they're much more likely to be paid, and stops punters realising that rolling road figures should be binned (or at least have the numbers torn off the sides).

Again your hatred for the world of tuning shines on through.

That's probably a fairly accurate graphs, supercharged cars as I'm sure you are aware are deadly smooth in terms of torque plus it's amazing how fancy a stage 3 remap can get...this takes days instead of hours and can result in a graph like that thanks very much.
Monday at 5

no one was hurt, except car
Attached images
IMG-20110411-00174.jpg
How?
Driving too fast into a corner
lol i put up my old headlights for sale on craigslist and i got 2 calls in 2 days ! shit sells fast
Quote from mrodgers :I've never seen a Ford rust. Then again, I've never seen a Ford mechanically sound long enough to worry about rust.

Toyotas rust, Nissans rust, Hondas rust because they are still running mechanically past 100,000 miles....

Yeah, and in Finland they rust even easily because of the salt they use to get the ice and snow off the road with expense of cars rusting easily...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Again your hatred for the world of tuning shines on through.

That's probably a fairly accurate graphs, supercharged cars as I'm sure you are aware are deadly smooth in terms of torque plus it's amazing how fancy a stage 3 remap can get...this takes days instead of hours and can result in a graph like that thanks very much.

It's not hatred, it's knowing better.

You're still young and don't have a lot of experience with the car tuning scene probably.

My father has close to 50 years of experience in the automotive industry, has studied machine engineering at the swiss ETH (very well regarded technical university), worked for half a lifetime in the industry, was the president of the swiss automobile club, etc, etc. In short, the man has seen A LOT and knows even more when it comes to car engineering, engine manufacturing, blablabla.

I don't know the background of tristan very well, but from what i've picked up his family has great experience also in this regard.

I also know a guy from germany who worked for several years with porsche, is mechanic for a GT3 race cup team since almost 10 years, etc.

All these people say the same things about car tuning. Most of it is bollocks, fake dyno readings, not worth the money, etc.

I could give you endless examples of bad tuning that actually decreased power instead of increasing it, ruined handling, ruined engines, etc.

It is also well known that especially in america, car tuning and their gain figures are to be taken with a grain of salt. Because a lot of it is heresay and simply made up figures, etc.

There is car tuning that works and actually improves a cars handling/power. But it's usually VERY expensive and still at the cost of reliability.

You're telling people with lots of first hand experience and knowledge to back it all up that they are just "hating" and have no idea what they're talking about...
I do agree sometimes there are made up figures and yes there are certain types of tuning which can (if done poorly) decrease power but R3DMAN (Chris I think his name is?) shows us a decent graph of something he's probably put a load of time and money into (Presumably his VX220) and Tristan just bashes it. P.s we are not in America! No-ones knowledge is infalliable and while Tristan has much knowledge in many areas he chooses to always take the negative outlook on what others are very proud of. You can't really fake dyno's, I mean yeah they can be innacurrate but a smooth graph like that is quite hard to "fake". I'm sure if R3DMAN was to take his cars on several dynos they would all indicate different powers (perhaps a with a 20bhp range between high and low) but the torque graph would be equally as smooth.

You can find most car tuning is done electronically these days as actual mechanical parts cost a whole lot of money. EG I got a 35bhp and 75lb ft gain for under £300 which is good and reliability is not affected. Supercharging most engines especially the one in the VX220 doesn't overly stress the engine (most vauxhall engines are very understressed anyway so there is good headway for improvement without needing forged internals) and combined with some serious mapping (i.e a stage 3) can result in usable smooth and reliable performance.

Posting

In

This style

Does not

Make your

Point more

Valid.

Also, what is this stage 1,2,3,4 etc. crap?
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG