The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Keep the brakes standard Jack. And Ignore Logitek. There ARE good garages out there which do a high quality job and don't try to rip you off.....Can I interest you in a Gearbox Recon sir?
Jakg. The standard brakes are more than good enough for anything you'll ever do on the road, you'll have no use what so ever for cold performance, whatever the hell that means.

If you want the brakes becasue of the name or so you can tell people you have -insert awesome brakes - then just say so it will make conversations like this go quicker.

edit: I know that sounds harsh but guy, you have no need for better brakes and if you just want them just becasue, then thats basically the same reason why the MG forum users want them (there is nothing wrong with that reason). Don't mask it in this cold perforamce none sense, that just makes you look like a tool.
try zimmermann,but if i were you i`d just leave it stock,as its not a fast performance car. oe brakes are just fine. and if you make a `home made` system,gotta look around what car`s brakes will fit your car,caliper,disc,the bracket that the caliper screws in,than u might have to change the spindle etc,and so on it can keep going like this.

btw what wrong with it when its cold?
Cold performance = Performance from cold. i.e. the "fast road" pads like the EBC Red Stuff's & the DS2500's don't perform their best until they are up to temperature, whereas I wont be working the brakes that hard, so want the best performance when they aren't that hot.

Brake fade via overheating is somewhere things like the DS2500's excel - but I doubt i'll have that issue.

Upgrading the brakes isn't a big job - I just take the calipers & carriers from the next model up and bolt them on along with a new set of discs and pads.

Seeing as the brakes and pads are the same price for either size, and the calipers etc come up very very cheap I thought I might as well upgrade - yes it can stop very very quickly already, but if it can do more why not?

The brakes on my car are also designed to fit under a 15" wheel which means they look a bit rediculous with the standard 18" wheels...

I'm not asking if I should or shouldn't do it - i'm simply asking what combination of discs and pads you'd recommend for road use.
Quote from Jakg :I'm not asking if I should or shouldn't do it - i'm simply asking what combination of discs and pads you'd recommend for road use.

Discs - OEM
Pads - EBC or similar

Standard pads. If you want to waste your money upgrading to the next model's brakes (and it won't improve your ability to slow down, as the standard brakes will be sufficient to overcome all your tyres' grip) then just use standard road pads for that model.

But at least you owned up and admitted that you're doing it for looks.

EBC don't make brake pads for cars. They make brake pads for bikes, and paperweights that look like car brake pads. Don't buy them if you have a vehicle with more than 3 wheels.
Quote from DevilDare :

Oh noes that poor XJ220 :worried:
Who the hell would not care for a XJ220? :wtf2:
I literally don't understand this brake upgrade talk. Both of the 2 cars I've owned have had enough brake power to lock wheels (or trigger the abs in the new one) at pretty much any speed :/
That's why it's pointless. But he's doing it for looks, rather than any inherent improvement to the car (though he'll continue to pretend it was for cold braking performance or something).
i see proton all over again.
Proton, Rover - fair similar target market really.
i'll keep my turd polishing comments for later
Jack's very good at it now. I think you need the exact mixture of t-cut and toilet-duck, and even the shittest car comes up riced.
i think it was Alan Carr who once said "you can't polish a turd. but you can roll it in glitter".
i love that quote.
Although jack will deny to the death any connection between mg and rover i can somewhat agree on the poor brake thing he mentions...

When i got my '98 200 S (non ABS model) that i had for nearly 2 years the brakes were terrible, so i fitted new disks, pads, drums and shoes, and had brand new brake fluid, and although there was an improvement, they were still pretty damned bad, bordering on the unsafe IMO, it wasnt anything to do with them being spongy or badly bled etc, they were just shit brakes.

So then i upgraded to the larger 282mm double vented disks as opposed to my biscuit sized solid ones i had before and also fitted the larger calipers to go with it plus a set of regular mintex pads, and it was then, and only then, that i had brakes that i felt i could trust, because on the standard stoppers the car really would struggle to even lock the wheels.
i think i saw a distant relative of sam on the road today
came up behind me in some old opel astra estate in that horrible dark red colour they used to make them in
white unpainted front an rear ricer bumpers and tailgating so closely that i couldnt even see a hint of his headlamps in the mirror
musicwise it was what youd expect
some track that seemed to be made up entirely from bass drums turned up to the point where it was easily uncomfortably loud... in my car some 4m in front of his speakers
as he drove past me i got a glimpse of even more of the usual... a huge twin pipe exhaust that hung lopsided from the back of his car and badges that made sure everone following would know that theyre dealing with an opel astra 1.6
quick nerdy spam post

the low frequency of the bass is the only sound wave low enough to get through objects and other people can easily hear from their car, the higher frequency vocals, guitar, or whatever other instrument is in the song are no longer after they hit an object, or atleast for the most part.
bass= omnidirectional. out nerded me finx.
Quote from Shotglass :i think i saw a distant relative of sam on the road today
came up behind me in some old opel astra estate in that horrible dark red colour they used to make them in
white unpainted front an rear ricer bumpers and tailgating so closely that i couldnt even see a hint of his headlamps in the mirror
musicwise it was what youd expect
some track that seemed to be made up entirely from bass drums turned up to the point where it was easily uncomfortably loud... in my car some 4m in front of his speakers
as he drove past me i got a glimpse of even more of the usual... a huge twin pipe exhaust that hung lopsided from the back of his car and badges that made sure everone following would know that theyre dealing with an opel astra 1.6

I'm sure there also was the name of some stupid Opel Club on the windscreen, no?
hai guys im back lolol
I just joined the ford club, will maybe get some pics up but it's nothing special. Focus 1.4 CL, silver, big scrape up the right hand side and some general tattyness, getting some quotes soon to see how much it will be to get her cleaned up.

Can't wait to sell it already, I'm still trying to get used to having to rev a car to make it go anywhere....diesel power ftw.
Quote from zeugnimod :I'm sure there also was the name of some stupid Opel Club on the windscreen, no?

dont remember any of that but there may well have been
All of those 1337 people have them here. Either a Opel or a VW club.
I have to admit I have a major sexy soft spot for VW's and Audi's, even new Skodas are catching my eye, maybe one day i'll get my Mk4 GT TDI 150....
The Mk2 Caddy Pickup floats my widget right now, but for some reason I am having a bit of a thing for vans/pickups. Not sure why as I don't really need either.

[edit: In fact, LFS should add them. That'll make for some fun racing.]
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG