The online racing simulator
VW Scirocco release plan
(695 posts, closed, started )
Quote from deggis :Aren't the race_s setups already done by someone else than a dev? Someone from beta test team. I think this was brought up when the race_s setups were introduced in '06 April patch iirc.

I think the dev does them. The race_s setups aren't good enough to be used during racing - They're just an 'okish' platform to start from.

It's probably setup for ease of driving, rather than grip or something. Who knows, maybe the Scirocco will have no adjustable setups apart from tyre pressures etc, as part of the VW licence agreement. I hope not, though.
Quote from kaynd :I don't really know/remember, but anyway they are obsolete now due to physics changes.
and I have to say that as I see it, there is not much effort put into them (setups).

It is not due to physics changes, it's because the setup changed somehow... you just needed to rename them and they were just fine iirc. There have been tiny changes to physics since BF1, maybe the GTRs are the only ones that have changed enough for the setups being a bit bad to drive.

For race_s, you just need to rename them and they are just as fine as they were back then when they were released.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I think the dev does them. The race_s setups aren't good enough to be used during racing - They're just an 'okish' platform to start from.

It's probably setup for ease of driving, rather than grip or something. Who knows, maybe the Scirocco will have no adjustable setups apart from tyre pressures etc, as part of the VW licence agreement. I hope not, though.

IIRC, bob smith made them, so the cars have neutral, easily setups for beginners. Of course they don't compare to tediously optimised personal setups.

I for one would certainly be gald if setups will be restricted to realistic values somewhen in the future, as I'm not tech savvy enough to oriduce my own.
Quote from Zen321 :It's the 2.0tsi

@Sinbad : Trackday cars usually are not required to have roll bars. So you can fit suspension and differential upgrades to your road-legal car (making it less road legal though) and go at your local track for some pick up racing. I feel it's like this in Live For Speed for the road legal cars. For the race-cars there is no arguing.

It just shows your conception of what LFS should be, while my ideas show mine. Do you want to have "extremely road legal cars ?" (Fixed suspension settings, Open diff for the lowered powered cars, no RB, "safety camber and toe"). Or do you want to have "trackday prepared cars" ? You said in your earlier post that the first conception wasn't good, so we agree on the second point

TBH, I don't see the link between the rollcages and the matter of the discussion, as they are essentially for the look in LFS (no chassis flex and stiffness yet ) so there is no point of including them .
The beauty of LFS is that there is a lot of adjustement possible. Having less variety would be a great idea, however, having to restrict them to a very few choices would make it very very bad. As I said, there are some values that need to be diminished (transmission, spring stiffness, ARB ratio to quite a bit, different brake strength) while some others should stay the way they are (all wheel and tires settings, direction, differential, damping settings, ride height, brake bias), because they are "easily" modable IRL.

A counter-argument to "in the series, every car needs to be to the same specs". It's true, all the time you usually only have a choice between some of mandatory parts. However, the same car can be eligible for different series, and then, the rules are different, with different boundaries of adjustement. This is why having LFS have the largest realistic adjustment boundaries is better, since, if some InSim programs is out, you can always downgrade the cars (not only restriction speaking).

"Roll cages are just for the look" - sure, but then so is the entire car and driver really, there are no functional mechanical visible parts apart from the tyres. It's about authenticity, who needs a fire extinguisher modelled on the floor of a GTR?

I don't go along with the trackday racer thing. Who shows up to a trackday with 20 identical other cars, all with exactly the same after-factory parts (but no cages, aesthetically they're stock), exactly the same power and weight and tyres, for a fun, unorganised race with no rules, and then proceed to form up on the grid and use the start-lights to begin their trackday session? Everything shouts spec-series, except the model, which is just odd.

Stick cages in the current road cars, it doesn't mean you have to run them on slicks or anything. It's easy to find technical regulations for classes running similar cars to copy. If a series' regulations allow the diff to be changed then fine, if the suspension is replaced with X brand adjustables with x ranges of adjustment, then make that the case too.

So in answer to your question: I want race cars. F'rinstance I want XFG and XRG to be part of the "Junior GT" class, or something, and constrained by the regulations of that class. They'd be race prepared cars which are balanced and scrutineered by the series organisers, such as those you might find in a multitude of championships irl. The parts allowed by those regulations would determine the scope of adjustment on the car.
Quote from sinbad :
I don't go along with the trackday racer thing. Who shows up to a trackday with 20 identical other cars..

Topgear did it. there was like 5 911's and 3 Gallardos
Quote from ColeusRattus :IIRC, bob smith made them

Nope.

From LFS credits:

Special thanks: Aki Räsänen - additional car setups
hmm interesting revelation, could tempt me to plug the g25 back in and fire lfs up
Quote from Hyperactive :For race_s, you just need to rename them and they are just as fine as they were back then when they were released.

I have all of them renamed. well... I can drive them, but that's not the point. They are still slow (that's not a problem really for the purpose of all round sets) and they do not have nice handling characteristics. (trying to put it in a nice way).

Usually the suspension on them is excessively stiff.
For me race S setups need to be just a little stiffer than the hard track setups, in order to have mild handling characteristics.
They will still be slow… but much easier to handle for someone who needs just to drive a combo for the firs time without having to download a setup

Maybe I should stop talking and start making an easy to handle setup pack myself. This isn’t going to happen till next year though because right now I don’t have my “able to run LFS” PC.
its next week now any more information?
Quote from Scawen :We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.

You have still to wait at least 4 more agonizing days.
Quote :...during the week ending Friday 19th December.

Hope it's coming faster than on friday !
Quote from Scawen :More information next week!

Next week has started, more details please.
Quote from Amynue :Next week has started, more details please.

Did you notice the "TEST PATCH" section is open already? For this you don't even need the search button
It's been open since december 13th
Quote from Velociround :Did you notice the "TEST PATCH" section is open already? For this you don't even need the search button
It's been open since december 13th

But we are talking about Scirocco, not about the test patch without Scirocco...
I think he meant that the Testpatch contains many changes of the patch, so just take that list, add the scirocco and you're good to go.
Quote from Amynue :But we are talking about Scirocco, not about the test patch without Scirocco...

"More information next week!"
It doesn't specify "More scirocco only information next week!"
We received much more information about the next patch... and before 'next week'
Quote from Velociround :"More information next week!"
It doesn't specify "More scirocco only information next week!"
We received much more information about the next patch... and before 'next week'

You missed the sentence from Scawen that sais "There will be no more changes but the Scirocco in the oficial patch"
Quote from Whiskey :You missed the sentence from Scawen that sais "There will be no more changes but the Scirocco in the oficial patch"

Incorrect. There will be no more new content (read: cars, tracks). Changes there will be. Probably. Maybe.
Quote from deggis :Aren't the race_s setups already done by someone else than a dev?

Yep, I think if you have the patience to go through the end roll when you quit LFS you can see the credits for those.
Thank you all very much for the discussions which we have followed.

I am sorry to have to say that we have to postpone the release, because we can't reach the required standard in the time available.

I've made a new thread with full explanation and will close this thread now to avoid confusion.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=51458
This thread is closed

VW Scirocco release plan
(695 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG