The online racing simulator
AutoMotoTrke.net Sim Racing Team is in!
Last spot in GT1...

Looking for a great race!
Oh yes it will be fun for GT1 drivers to dodge the GT2 and NGT cars
the rate im going, i'll be barely dodging GT2 cars
Due to the high demand of GT-1 cars, and the developing of signups which is way beyond our expectations, we decided to open more slots for the GT-1 class. That means the GT-1 class gets 16 more slots and is now limited to 56 cars, while GT-2 and N-GT are reduced by 8 slots each.

For the 16 new GT-1 slots, the following special rules are:
- Teams can sign up only one team per class.
- Teams who already signed up one or more cars in GT-1 are not allowed to add cars to GT-1.(Lucky for the teams who signed up early)
o.0

Not that good news to GT2/NGT teams, as the grid in those classes gets thinner.
Now we'd have (if divided equally) 8 NGT teams per server, and with the fact that there will be teams dropping out, leaves us with less competitors, and more in the way of the increasing amount of GT1 cars.

Don't take this as flaming or anything, this is just my personal emotion about the decision.
imo it would be best to limit the GT1 class to 1 car per team and tell the people with multiple cars to sign up for NGT or GT2 instead.
i understand your concerns, but we will not open more than 56 slots for GT-1. If GT-2 or N-GT teams drop out and dont confirm their cars till the deadline, the slots will be reopened for lastminute joiners.
Tbh, that sucks.
Quote from zeugnimod :Tbh, that sucks.

i understand your positions, but we cannot punish the teams who signed up early and delete or reject already signed-up teams. We have learned this now for the next years race and will definitely change this.

But for now this is the best solution for all. de facto there are only 4 GT-1 more per server and two GT-2 and N-GT less.
Quote from BenjiMC :imo it would be best to limit the GT1 class to 1 car per team and tell the people with multiple cars to sign up for NGT or GT2 instead.

+1

This is only reasonable thing to do by mho...

I felt even before the limit was reached that it is not good to have multiple squads of the same team in same class...

Racing for lower classes will be harder because of increase of GT1 cars, and they will have less competition@Marty) you say that it is ONLY 2 cars less per server per lower class, but actually even if you are in GT2 on server #1 you are racing the same class on other servers. So basically it is less competition by 8 cars.

But this is only my opinion, I'm not forcing this to be changed... it is up to admins of the race...
4 servers with 1 tracker? How does that work? What does that mean for slower drivers?
The tracker is programmed by WolleT. He was in 2007 at 24 and 16h race in use and worked well. The tracker pulls data from all four servers and gives a live performance out.
So it takes data from all servers and compiles them in an overall standings list. So this means there can only be 3 winners from 3 classes?
yes only 3 winners, 1 of every class
How does your tracker handle disconnections and re-connections?
Today we tested the tracker on the 6 hours of aston event, which was a single server event. It seemed to work very well for now.

The disconnect and reconnection of players, which shall deduct 1 lap automatically need some fixing, but the goal is that the tracker automatically does this, and has to do the same when shift-p or shift-s is done.

this needs further testing, but will be done till racestart.
1st Tracker test

on this tracker the deduction was done manually.
Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale for the -1lap penalty for disconnects? Aren't disconnects already a penalty?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale for the -1lap penalty for disconnects? Aren't disconnects already a penalty?

Probably because people can pull the plug of their router after 13 hours and heavy clutch damage, low fuel and too thin tires to get a quick pitstop that fixes everything :P. I think that's why they'd do it so that they prevent people from doing that.

You gain kind of an advantage by pulling the plug right after the finish line and coming back into the race with a full pitstop that even fixed your clutch.
Quote from evilpimp :Probably because people can pull the plug of their router after 13 hours and heavy clutch damage, low fuel and too thin tires to get a quick pitstop that fixes everything :P. I think that's why they'd do it so that they prevent people from doing that.

You gain kind of an advantage by pulling the plug right after the finish line and coming back into the race with a full pitstop that even fixed your clutch.

Thats correct...

The first (unreleased) version of the rules contained a much harder punishment for leaving the race, to prevent misuse, so be glad its now only 1 lap
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Just out of curiosity, what's the rationale for the -1lap penalty for disconnects? Aren't disconnects already a penalty?

SK??

It took you guys a month to solve that sh*t storm, and that was 1 server, quadruple that... dunno about you, but i wouldnt want to go through all the hassle of double checking disconnections, making sure they didnt gain by disconnecting and getting a brand new car full of fuel, fresh tyre and a repaired engine which cant be fixed any other way.

It is harsh for the innocent though, but so is getting taken off the track and picking up damage etc because of someone elses mistake.
When the lights turn green and the race starts, we, the admin team (which consist of 4 people) will have at least 5 months or more with preparation of the event behind us, with lots of hours (sumed up probably weeks) spent on TS discussing and organising things.
In the end we wont sit there and visit 4 replays each 16 hours long, to check out everything was okay. The filed protests will be viewed, thats for sure, but we want to present the final result as soon as possible.
For the drivers the race ends with the showing of the chequered flag. To make the administation for us as easy as possible we try to automate as many things possible (<-proper english??) Thats what the tracker is for. In the end the tracker shall show the (almost) final overview for the whole race across all servers, including disconnects, shift-p etc. I always smile when i read threads or posts like: "i have a server - lets do an endurance event tomorrow". im sure most of the people dont have a clue about what it means to host something like this and how much work has to be done behind the scenes, what nobody sees.

Theres also one thing i want to say: We dont do this for our profit. We do this mainly for the lfs-community to have a great and awesome event. we dont want to earn a single cent/penny /whatever your currency is. We all have regular jobs for living and spend most of our spare time for this. Its just the fun with LFS, the trust in this great simulation and the will to race fair races with or against others that motivates us every day keeping this project alive and letting it grow. The number of signups (which ist at 75% after 5 weeks, but the race still 2 months to go) shows us that the community needs events like this, and that the people share this spirit with us.
I definately must say that i totally like the Tracker, let's say i like the standings
Quote from SRR Marty :Today we tested the tracker on the 6 hours of aston event, which was a single server event. It seemed to work very well for now.

The disconnect and reconnection of players, which shall deduct 1 lap automatically need some fixing, but the goal is that the tracker automatically does this, and has to do the same when shift-p or shift-s is done.

this needs further testing, but will be done till racestart.

on this tracker the deduction was done manually.

The same tracker was used for the 12 hours of Aston event, and it did 2 lap deductions for disconnections, and it seemed to work fine with no bugs. What is different about this one?
I don't really like the single tracker, but if it works then it must be good. Now i get the idea. Different skills for different servers gives a fair chance to everyone.
Quote from hansonator69 :I don't really like the single tracker, but if it works then it must be good. Now i get the idea. Different skills for different servers gives a fair chance to everyone.

its not different skills, its just the full field split evenly (as evenly as possible i guess) into 4 servers.
I *think* that would mean you'd get servers based on qual positions like:

#1 - GT1 - Q1,5,9... GT2 - Q1,5,9... NGT - Q1,5,9...
#2 - GT1 - Q2,6,10... GT2 - Q2,6,10... NGT - Q2,6,10...
#3 - GT1 - Q3,7,11... GT2 - Q3,7,11... NGT - Q3,7,11...
#4 - GT1 - Q4,8,12... GT2 - Q4,8,12... NGT - Q4,8,12...
The information of each cars laps & actions are sent to the tracker, and a leaderboard is formed to show the standings of the race, so you can be leading the #3 server but be 5th in the standings if 4 other cars are doing better than you.

Its hard racing against something thats not there with you, being unable to defend a position like you normally can (unless it happens to be someone on the same server) but its the one way of having a mixed field and allowing so many people to compete together fairly, no tiers of ability, everyone on the day can win their class. I think thats what most people want in a series, being able to race against everyone and take their chances, rather than being divided up by ability/experience/results shoved to one side and made to wait till they can race with bigger teams, 1-off races like this make that happen

One thing that will be interesting is same server battles, normally if 2 cars are fighting for position they lose time by defending corners or trying to overtake etc and the following cars gain and get right into the mix too. In this, the 'following cars' could be on a different server and virtually overtake both of you while your still squabbling for 1 place.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG