The online racing simulator
Ah, I thought it would be 2 servers for GT1 (because of the popular demand), 1 server for GT2 and 1 for NGT that way if your battling someone its for position not like a GT1 overtaking a GT2 however it does kill the whole multiclass racing theme.
Quote from PaulC2K :its not different skills, its just the full field split evenly (as evenly as possible i guess) into 4 servers.
I *think* that would mean you'd get servers based on qual positions like:

#1 - GT1 - Q1,5,9... GT2 - Q1,5,9... NGT - Q1,5,9...
#2 - GT1 - Q2,6,10... GT2 - Q2,6,10... NGT - Q2,6,10...
#3 - GT1 - Q3,7,11... GT2 - Q3,7,11... NGT - Q3,7,11...
#4 - GT1 - Q4,8,12... GT2 - Q4,8,12... NGT - Q4,8,12...

I think it's a bit nebulous how it'll be done (at least based on what's been said in this thread--haven't seen that part of the rules yet). I know that in the 24hr of KY3R race last May, it was done so that the top 1/3 of each class was on Server 1, the middle 1/3 of each class was on Server 2, and the slower 1/3 of each class was on Server 3.
Is going to be there some well-marked class allocation on the tracker? I know that it's done by car number ranges now but it's not so recognizable on the first sight. Some color or "GT1, GT2 and NGT" mark before the team would be great.

I really look forward this event and I appreciate your effort you've shown so far. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oops, it's going to be between these two dashes isnt it? "#06 - - Team Inferno Racing 1"
yep. that space is for the class
Quote from Mp3 Astra :The same tracker was used for the 12 hours of Aston event, and it did 2 lap deductions for disconnections, and it seemed to work fine with no bugs. What is different about this one?

its just about some database entries, we haven't got yet. No big deal.

@DeadWolfBones:
you are right, we aren't sure, how we split the drivers onto the 4 servers. i also think, that the best would be, if we put the best quarter on Server 1 and so on, but thats still to discuss.
id have thought they'd be placed in server 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 etc so that way everyone has a fair and equal chance, if server 1 has Q1-2-3, #2 has Q4-5-6 etc then it isnt as clean and equal as it could be.
If they're dealt out like cards then in server 1 you have 1-5-9-13-17... and so on, those cars are likely to spread themselves out evenly. Same in server 2,3&4.
If they're grouped so in server 1 you have 1-2-3, then those 3 are going to be tight, scrapping for a while, and possibly slowing each other down because they're closely matched. On its own thats fine, but when server 2 has 4-5-6 and one of those manage to run free then they could take the lead purely on the basis that other rival cars are having to drive more defensively or are overtaking and being overtaken.

It doesnt have the same equal playing ground feel to it in my opinion. If the faster car in your class qualified 4 places ahead of you, and the slower one qualified 4 places behind you, and thats the case in EVERY server, then thats fair and i dont see how anyone could argue its anything but that. But placing them into servers in bunches means everything but that. If your in bunches of 3, then #1 car has 2 almost as quick cars right up its backside but could run free of them, #2 has one either side of it, its gotta look in all directions, #3 has 2 slightly faster ahead of it possibly stopping them from going as quick as they can, and 4 has what? 2 slower cars behind it and free air ahead. It means your better qualifying 4th than 3rd in my book at least. If i felt we were good enough to be higher up, i'd rather i had clear track to race into from Q4 than be stuck behind 2 cars who Q'd better but ive got to PASS them in order to improve that place, where as Q4 just has to get some clean laps in to pass me in Q3 etc.
IMO at least
Of course, from the other side of the argument, putting cars that are closely bunched in terms of pace onto the same server produces much better actual racing and makes the race less of a hotlapping festival. Theoretically, each quarter of each class will be as competitive amongst themselves as the other quarters. And also theoretically, the cars in the slower quarters wouldn't be able to match the faster quarters' drivers' pace, even if the cars in the faster quarters are fighting amongst themselves.

I see it working fine either way, but I see my/commandermas's preferred method as producing a more exciting race. I think that in general you're overthinking it, Paul. If you want it to be all about raw speed, we might as well just qualify and call it a day.
I'd personally prefer to race with my closest competitors, rather than spread the grid out on the three servers. This would for sure give both drivers and spectators a more entertaining race : )

What Paulie says is of course right, but i'd have that in mind if i started with the guys which were equaled to me. The fact that it's being raced on three servers at a time is just another aspect to add to your driving. Such long races as these are not won by pure speed anyway, but also good tactical choices
Quote from commandermas :
you are right, we aren't sure, how we split the drivers onto the 4 servers. i also think, that the best would be, if we put the best quarter on Server 1 and so on, but thats still to discuss.

No offense, still:
As far as I remember some top teams put in some crap quali times last year and for this reason qualified for server 2.
Of course this can have had reasons I don´t know about.
The race started and these teams all of sudden were flying arround the track and one wondered how this all of sudden could happen.
It´s to discuss if it´s actually easier to drive against some slower cars on a lower rated server but your admin task will be to find a way to have equal chances and racing on all servers for all teams.
yeah, i get that it'd be better having proper races with the rivals rather than racing something you cant see.

But if you quarter the qual group and the fastest 1/4 go into one server, the second 1/4 go into another etc, then your definately going to get better racing than just moving small groups of cars, however its not hard to see potential ways in which to screw the system to drive with lowly qualified teams so there isnt the close defensive driving in order to have a clear track etc. All it takes is an accidental message during qual and your 1sec down and looking at a server 2+ time, you dont have to sandbag which looks obvious, just a not so innocent accidental message which ruins an otherwise nice time and your clear of challenging teams for the race.
So im not sure theres a particularly easy solution to the problem.

The other thing is, after about 10 laps your usually fairly spread out, and after an hour you can consider yourself fairly lucky to still be racing closely with the next guy. Thats usually the case in most racing, the field spreads and battles are harder to come across.

FTR, im not trying to poop on anyones parade, i'd just rather look for weaknesses and try and fix them, rather than ignore them and hope people dont find them and use them, we had that in MoE and it put a sour note on the season.
I think chances are that regardless of the way teams are split the cream will come to the top anyway, its 16hrs and it probably wont be won by a 30sec gap, let alone a 30sec which only existed because of a scrap on another server which cost 35sec etc. You'd just hope that the teams are split up well enough to give the fairest & most entertaining race possible, i guess theres no formula that can do that 100%.
#86 - Nobo
Quote from R.Kolz :No offense, still:
As far as I remember some top teams put in some crap quali times last year and for this reason qualified for server 2.
Of course this can have had reasons I don´t know about.
The race started and these teams all of sudden were flying arround the track and one wondered how this all of sudden could happen.
It´s to discuss if it´s actually easier to drive against some slower cars on a lower rated server but your admin task will be to find a way to have equal chances and racing on all servers for all teams.

I hope you dont mean FPR because our last qualification place was not down to this.
We didnt knew that just the time of the first driver counts and so he did just an outlap then our faster driver wanted to qualify whose laps didnt count afterwards (would've been P4)
Just wanted to clarify this as it sounds that you meant us.

But i definately agree, if you split the servers like this its definately an advantage to qualify lower.
Quote from Nobo :I hope you dont mean FPR because our last qualification place was not down to this.
We didnt knew that just the time of the first driver counts and so he did just an outlap then our faster driver wanted to qualify whose laps didnt count afterwards (would've been P4)
Just wanted to clarify this as it sounds that you meant us.

But i definately agree, if you split the servers like this its definately an advantage to qualify lower.

Point made then.
Sorry if I'm blind and missed the place, but where can I get the plates/sun visor for the XFR?
Questions:
1. What happens in case of big start pileup on one server? If no restart, the other servers drivers will have advantage of not having some driver(s) who fked it all up on start on that one server...
2. No Safety Car periods? That would be crazy for 4-server race so I guess its NO.

Idea:
Do not tell how will you divide drivers into servers, not until the end of qual, so there will be no misuse of rules, putting your car on a targeted position just to end up on "slower" server...
Quote from Dragonmen :Questions:
1. What happens in case of big start pileup on one server? If no restart, the other servers drivers will have advantage of not having some driver(s) who fked it all up on start on that one server...
2. No Safety Car periods? That would be crazy for 4-server race so I guess its NO.

Idea:
Do not tell how will you divide drivers into servers, not until the end of qual, so there will be no misuse of rules, putting your car on a targeted position just to end up on "slower" server...

1. nothing.. the race goes on..
2. the pacecar will lead the grid through the 1 st lap on all servers, and then there will be a flying start which shall spread the field and decrease the possibility for start crashes. during the race its almost impossible to launch the pacecar on all servers
wow, a synchronised rolling start across 4 servers is going to be tough to manage!
Been done before. As long as you have all four pace car drivers on Vent/TS and the pace cars use the pit limiter, it's cake.
yep we have done this last year too and it was no problem

expect 1 driver who managed to get off the road with the FXO
it was probally joesph driving
Nah, due to other arrangements that have clashed with races I have never actually driven a Pace car at an official event, only at practices. I had also not even heard of LFS this time last year

And BTW, your skin is coming along nicely . I have most of the front and right hand side of the car done, except for a few sponsors here and there
/me joy dances
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG