The online racing simulator
Quote from CobraDrifter :I'm glad to see that the devs are starting to care about the graphics

They've always cared about graphics (you probably weren't here when they went from S1 to S2 so you don't know about the major graphics improvements at that time), but there have always been more important things to do. Also, I don't think this patch was supposed to have graphical updates, until people started pushing Scawen for them. Anyway, as much as I welcome improvements to the graphics, my computer can't even handle AA, so these new graphics options are useless for me. That's why I'd personally like to see physics improvements rather than graphics improvements. But that's just my opinion.
I can't see it mentioned but then I did skim read: I can change AF on the fly and all works great, but to change FSAA I have to restart LFS for it to have any effect (and LFS jerks up for a few seconds while it thinks, but ultimately does nothing).

ATI X1800XT with latest Omega drivers.
Before when I turned on AF with driver settings, in LFS and in RBR I saw these artefacts: dashes across roads. Now they are in LFS. I can't test if they were there in patch Y, but definitely they are here now, and I can't remove them at all: even with no AA/AF and minimal (most negative) mip bias, they are still there on the roads.
Attached images
artefacts 1.jpg
artefacts 2.jpg
artefacts 3.jpg
Quote from detail :Before when I turned on AF with driver settings, in LFS and in RBR I saw these artefacts: dashes across roads. Now they are in LFS. I can't test if they were there in patch Y, but definitely they are here now, and I can't remove them at all: even with no AA/AF and minimal (most negative) mip bias, they are still there on the roads.

I have the same problems. GeForce 8600GT,174.14 drivers, XP SP2, AAx4
Quote from detail :Before when I turned on AF with driver settings, in LFS and in RBR I saw these artefacts: dashes across roads. Now they are in LFS. I can't test if they were there in patch Y, but definitely they are here now, and I can't remove them at all: even with no AA/AF and minimal (most negative) mip bias, they are still there on the roads.

I have same artefacts on the road when I turn on AF ( HD3870 )
Testing now
Testing it now Thanks devs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detail
Before when I turned on AF with driver settings, in LFS and in RBR I saw these artefacts: dashes across roads. Now they are in LFS. I can't test if they were there in patch Y, but definitely they are here now, and I can't remove them at all: even with no AA/AF and minimal (most negative) mip bias, they are still there on the roads.

Same with me. Radeon 3850. I remember seeing this a month or so ago, so nothing to do with Y14. It looks like white lines where the road textures meet but only around mid view distance, very visual when road bias set to 0 and no AA/AF. I can't get rid of them by changing Z buffer/Catalyst AI/Mip Changes in Catalyst Control Centre etc.
It just feels like your coming around to the start grid around various corners. More noticeable on certain tracks like fern bay gold rev (first like six corners).
This happens very clearly on Blackwood Rev, as you come around Popeye, and head up the back straight. First sign of it is under the bridge, and then at the bottom of the slope where the rise is on the back stetch. It does disapear as you get closer and it does seem to be terrain related.

Those lines appear usually in 3D apps/games when you set AF to the maximum value, if you notice they are either on UVmapping "seams" or where a texture loops - they're also visible on cars (on the "seams" of the models).

Did you try uninstalling your drivers and going for a clean installation? Sometimes profile settings get messed up with nvidia and they don't actually do what you tell them to.
Does the same for me with x4 settings and fresh drivers anyway
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Does the same for me with x4 settings and fresh drivers anyway

Hello,

I haven't any problem with
Full-scene antialiasing 8x
anisotropic filtering 16x
ZBuffer 24
With 8800GTS 512MB and new drivers from NVidia
Same thing
I haven't any problem with
Full-scene antialiasing 8x
anisotropic filtering 16x
ZBuffer 24
With 8600GT 256MB and new drivers from NVidia

40-50 fps start race
120-130 fps

Detail : I got those on my iMac before with AF, but only if the MipBias was above 0, now that I have custom control of MipBias, and can set it to be 0, I have no such issues.

Maybe this helps?
Dustin: You mean non-zero negative mipBias? I've tried both 0 and very negative mip bias (that's visible on the screenshots) and these dashes were visible in both cases.

I'll try to reinstall drivers, maybe that would work. Though, they are the first drivers on this machine.
Hmm, I just had another play now, at 0 they're least noticeable, but anything higher, and they become clearer than 20/20. It almost makes me wonder what would happen with a positive MipBias.
It's a pity that I am using Vista...
#143 - hda
Quote from carplayer :It's a pity that I am using Vista...

I'm using vista as well and everything is working fine

Quote from Scawen :KNOWN ISSUES :

Name of active Chinese input method is not shown in Vista

i could point out the irony of that sig hda but i decided not to
Views
Hm...
Scawen, why combo of left view and right view is not = rear view?

Options > Controls > Buttons 2:

One for rear, yes, and combo of left and right - right and left for same thing...

Like in patch X, pls, thx.
lurk moar
#147 - hda
Quote from Shotglass :..............

i could point out the irony of that sig hda but i decided not to

eh ok, I didn't notice that carplayer is chinese and was talking about the imput method. assumed he was having graphic issues
I don't know if this will be of any assistance. I used to get those white horizontal lines across the roads when I pushed up AA on my ATI 9800pro and my x1950pro.

I was messing about with track texture dds files and removed the start/finish lines for a cruise server I am a admin of. Well, once the start/finish was removed, the white lines also disappeared. The texture of the white finish line seems to bleed across and onto the edges of other textures on the road where the textures join together and wrap around. I even found removing about 4 pixels of the edge finish line sometimes removed this phenomenon.

Oh well, just some FYI spam really, but if the start/finish line was moved back from the edges of the texture then this whole issue might be fixed. I dont really know how the textures map onto a 3D polygon, but I'm just guessing a white edged texture might wrap AA artifacts around to the other side of the texture when AA is applied. Although offsetting the start lines a few pixels might require some new map adjustments to make the texture "fit" again, but even a quick hack solved the problem for the experiments I did.

Have a great day all.
Quote from nesrulz :Hm...
Scawen, why combo of left view and right view is not = rear view?

Options > Controls > Buttons 2:

One for rear, yes, and combo of left and right - right and left for same thing...

Like in patch X, pls, thx.

By default, press left and view rotates 45° to the left. While holding left press right and view rotates another 45° making it 90° in total (this was made for cheking blind spots I guess).

Short story: It's like that so you can check out mirrors and I guess while driving IRL you don't actually look back unless you're going in reverse.

This has been argued before, little search would help but I'm on work and no time for that
IIRC it's not going back to the X patch system.

Now this has nothing to do with this test patch, so enough offtopicness
Quote from BlackEye :By default, press left and view rotates 45° to the left. While holding left press right and view rotates another 45° making it 90° in total (this was made for cheking blind spots I guess).

Yes default is 45° - 90°, but i use 90°.

This thread is closed

Test Patch Y14 - AA / AF / East Asian support
(185 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG