The online racing simulator
Quote from Rappa Z :I thought that was hilarious when he hit the button. Was even bettter when i found out he was cheering not removing a tearoff.

The cheering thing isn't fact, it's guesswork. Only McLaren (if they even have been told my Kovy (spelling getout) know the truth.

We can say it looks like a cheer, but it might have been the start of a rip-off move that was aborted.

So don't say "I found out...", because you haven't.
Kovi didn't look like he was cheering. When I watched the on-board footage, it looked like he was reaching up for the visor, did a right-to-left hand movement, before quickly reaching back down to the steering and a button. It jives with the visor tear-off story.
Quote from samjh :Kovi didn't look like he was cheering. When I watched the on-board footage, it looked like he was reaching up for the visor, did a right-to-left hand movement, before quickly reaching back down to the steering and a button. It jives with the visor tear-off story.

Don't ruin our fun.
Quote from samjh :Kovi didn't look like he was cheering. When I watched the on-board footage, it looked like he was reaching up for the visor, did a right-to-left hand movement, before quickly reaching back down to the steering and a button. It jives with the visor tear-off story.

but why would he do it in such haste? his hectic movements dont make any sense unless of course he was cheering and making a complete arse of himself at the same time
Quote from Shotglass :but why would he do it in such haste?

He's pumped up on adrenaline on account of sitting in an F1 car and having just done a pretty nice pass maybe? Additionally he has a lot of G and wind affecting him, making any movement less than elegant?
I think he was just turning a page in the novel he was reading at the time. The embarrassing issue McLaren is trying to cover up is simply the subject of the novel.
Quote from Shotglass :but why would he do it in such haste? his hectic movements dont make any sense unless of course he was cheering and making a complete arse of himself at the same time

It needs to be done quickly because the action of removing the tear-off blocks your vision for a moment. Then there is the matter of travelling toward 300km/h with all the vibrations, buffeting, and drag that affects the arm and hand.

Imagine driving on a highway at 250 km/h, sticking your hand out of the window and trying to do stuff with it. It's a bit tricky at 100 km/h, difficult at 200 km/h, and I imagine even more difficult at the speed Kovi was travelling at.

He was also at the end of a 2-hour race in the midst of 50C heat. At the end of the race, you could see most drivers were exhausted, so Kovi was probably the same.

In such circumstances you don't want to go and fumble around your head for a few seconds with just one hand on the wheel. You've just got to get it done sharp.
Watch the high quality video. It's blatently obvious he's punching the air. I don't understand why people see it differently, other than what Heikki said afterwards. You don't punch a visor tear-off with your fist do you?
:bananadea

Anyway, as a whole I was positively surprized of Kovalainen's race. Imho he did well. And what ever he was doing there when his elbow hit the speedlimiter... wel he could have accidentally hit the nos button instead, eating Haemitlon and Heightfelb alive
Quote from Hyperactive ::bananadea

Anyway, as a whole I was positively surprized of Kovalainen's race. Imho he did well. And what ever he was doing there when his elbow hit the speedlimiter... wel he could have accidentally hit the nos button instead, eating Haemitlon and Heightfelb alive

Anything is possible in a Mclaren
Quote from Hyperactive :Anyway, as a whole I was positively surprized of Kovalainen's race. Imho he did well.

I actually wasn't surprised. I expected him to do well.

He would have finished in second without the safety car period IMO.

Melbourne GP *Spoilers*
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG