The online racing simulator
Quote from Btoryo :I feel bad for Heikki, I think he thought the race was over.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=izYIXA5-s4Q

No, he took off a wind visor (is that the right word? the thing they have on the helmets) because it got dirty and he accidentally hit the pit limiter while he did that. You can see that pretty good in your video at 0:33. You can see him ripping it off and hastily pushing some buttons.

A shame, though, was a good pass.
Quote from zeugnimod :No, he took off a wind visor (is that the right word? the thing they have on the helmets) because it got dirty and he accidentally hit the pit limiter while he did that. You can see that pretty good in your video at 0:33. You can see him ripping it off and hastily pushing some buttons.

A shame, though, was a good pass.

Ahh your right, good eye!
Quote from Btoryo :Ahh your right, good eye!

Well, tbh, I didn't just concluded that from this video,

The german commentators said that yesterday evening in a replay of the race.
Mclaren's buttons are to tempting I think.
Quote from tristancliffe :Being so far on the inside though, Massa should have been braking harder to scrub off more speed to cope with the smaller corner radii.

the contact did happen before the apex and massa had room to spare at the exit and was far enough from the limit to take his hands off the wheel despite having to countersteer after dc rammed into him

my best guess is massa would have made the turn with enough room for david at the exit and then subsequently pitted one lap later to get another nosecone
Quote from zeugnimod :No, he took off a wind visor (is that the right word? the thing they have on the helmets) because it got dirty and he accidentally hit the pit limiter while he did that.

Better than losing a world championship by accidentally putting your car in neutral
Quote from ajp71 :Better than losing a world championship by accidentally putting your car in neutral

You'll eventually know if he lost the world championship here...
Quote from Clownpaint :I can't see a tear off (even in the hi-res version of this clip).

I think I saw him remove a tear-off when I was watching the race. It was a bit further down the straight, but I suppose post- balls-up he had to get the car going again before he could go back to removing it.

Hahaha... Nah, just watched the in-car - he's punching the air. What a noob!
According to the finnish f1 media (=1 internet site) Heikki himself said that he accidentally pushed teh button when he removed the visor layer...
Yeah, it says so everywhere, but the question is whether it's true. I mean, it is slightly more embarassing to accidentally hit the pit limiter while punching the air out of joy to have passed Alonso one lap before race finish, than it is to hit the pit limiter while tearing off the visor layer.
It certainly looks like he was punching the air. But then the best time to use a tear off is just after you've passed someone and got some clear air ahead, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what he was INTENDING to do, but never even started to remove it before he clipped the button.

I wonder if McLaren will put in some system to stop the limiter cutting in so easily at high speed.
At the time I thought he must have believed it was the end of the race. Weird anyway, bet he's still kicking himself. Not a good day at the office for the Finns.
Quote from sinbad :At the time I thought he must have believed it was the end of the race. Weird anyway, bet he's still kicking himself. Not a good day at the office for the Finns.

He's not a Finn so it's all good. I mean bad.
Quote from Noccy :if u know someone is down on your inside and allready braking at his maximum.. u are the only one who can avoid an accident by turning in a bit later or taking a wider line.

I interpreted that as a "I knew he was behind me" rather than a "I knew he was beside me". I doubt he would have turned in like that if he knew Massa was going for a pass, much less announce it on TV.
That was... Awkward (Damn forgot how to spell that again)
Quote from OneCrazyDiamond :Wait, Kovalainen's not a Finn?

Spanky was just being Finnish. Support them when they do good, but turn your back at them when they don't
As much as I hate to say it, Coulthard must bear some blame for it.

Massa's move was quite risky, but not completely unreasonable. I think it was misjudged, but there wasn't anything illegal or unsporting about it.

Coulthard admits he saw Massa behind him. Whether or not Coulthard knew Massa was attempting the overtake, I can't say. Looking at the replay, it seems that Coulthard was turning in as though Massa wasn't there.

As a very experienced driver, I think Coulthard would know that he would come off second-best if they clashed in such a position, so he probably didn't realise that Massa was alongside.

It should also be noted that Massa took a lot of kerb, apparently trying to avoid Coulthard's car.

So in conclusion:
Massa made a risky but legally valid move up Coulthard's inside. Coulthard was unaware of the overlap with Massa and held the normal driving line. Massa made a reasonable attempt to avoid a collision. I'd say the blame is 35% to Massa, 65% to Coulthard.
I just have to say that the 3 guys on podium are so refreshing to see. Those are the true stars of F1 in my opinion, and been waiting so long to see Williams and BMW get a well earned podium. A shame Kubica couldn't be up there with them .
Quote from frokki :Spanky was just being Finnish. Support them when they do good, but turn your back at them when they don't

Who are they? There weren't any finns in the race.. Maybe they'll race at Malysia

Which reminds me, Germans are now walking with their heads up high. Yesterdays Bild: "WE have the best cars. Mercedes p1, BMW p2 and williams with a german built engine p3. WE have the most succesful drivers..." It can't be that big of a thing can it? Our magazines don't write with that tone, do they?
All the Youtube videos are being removed owing to "copyright claims by Formula One management" - even though it's all stuff ripped from TV stations. We need to start posting videos with alternative codewords for F1.
Why not just post the vids somewhere else? Youtube has become really shite.
Quote from hyntty :
Which reminds me, Germans are now walking with their heads up high. Yesterdays Bild: "WE have the best cars. Mercedes p1, BMW p2 and williams with a german built engine p3. WE have the most succesful drivers..." It can't be that big of a thing can it? Our magazines don't write with that tone, do they?

I bet you also have such yellow (brainless) press in Finland
Bild is in Germany like The Sun in the UK
BIG generalised Headlines for the masses.
No one with a brain would take these papers really serious.

btw
we have the best cars

Melbourne GP *Spoilers*
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG