The online racing simulator
Quote from Kalev EST :But technically Kimi didn´t retire? He completed enough laps to be classified and get points.

I think technically he did, just that he also completed enough laps to be classified and get points.

Wasn't it Honda or Super Aguri who tried that trick a couple of years ago~? by pulling both of their cars into the pits at the 2nd to last lap cos they ain't gonna get points anyway but will get a fresh engine for Malaysia... (and then both blew up in lap 6 of the race~ lol)
Quote from Noccy :Enjoyed the race yesterday, but i fear one thing..and fear it allot.

The manufacturers wont be happy if every race has half of their pampered drivers spin out. Too bad for their precious image.
So they will hold a few anal meetings and go talk to Max and Bernie.
Midway through the season Max or Bernie suggest it's much too dangerous without TC and propose a rulechange for 2009.
Before we know it all teams agree to use TC again and we are back to the boredom of the last few years.

Really hope the (good) drivers disagree loudly enough and the fans riot too so it doesn't happen..but if the manufacturers agree on it and get support from the FIA it will be hard to stop them.

the crashes has NOTHING to do with ban of TC... other than the one Massa has in T1...

it's just Piquet taking out 5 or 6 cars in the 1st lap, THREE Ferrari engines let go, DC crashed out while turning into Massa, Glock flying out after running wide and hit a grass ramp, Nakajima running into the back of Kubica, along with a couple of reliability issues for some other cars, that explained all the retirements...
Quote from JCTK : DC crashed out while turning into Massa,

Correction, Massa drove into DC.
Quote from hyntty :Correction, Massa drove into DC.

The real question is how did Massas car survived it(allthough it died a few laps later).
Quote from Mustafur :The real question is how did Massas car survived it(allthough it died a few laps later).

He was the Brazilian bumpercar champion of 1992.
You can't really blame any one of them specifically, it was a racing incident, Massa presented himself quite late, but they were lined up at one moment before turning, Massa grabbed the inner path as much as he could as i saw it, Coulthard should have go much wider..
Imho, the Massa's pass was perfectly ok. Quite similar what Kimi's pass was (quite late) but Coulthard just turned into Massa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiPAJCCnZpM

EDIT: includes also the Davis kick-ass comment
Quote from Hyperactive :Imho, the Massa's pass was perfectly ok. Quite similar what Kimi's pass was (quite late) but Coulthard just turned into Massa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiPAJCCnZpM

EDIT: includes also the Davis kick-ass comment

Wow, from all the trackside cams it looked like a desperate late dive, but that angle really shows that it wasn't Massa's fault

But you can't blame DC either, I believe that Massa was completely in DC's blind spot at the turn-in.
If there's a red car behind you before the turn-in, and it's not there at turn in, it probably hasn't flow off to moon on it's own. Imo DC can be blaimed.
Yeah DC didn't leave enough room. He said it was like his collision with Wurz last year but it wasn't - when he hit Wurz he had no chance of making the corner, whereas Massa had everything well under control.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :If there's a red car behind you before the turn-in, and it's not there at turn in, it probably hasn't flow off to moon on it's own.

Hey, you never know with those red cars - maybe their quantum nature has moved on to the laws of physics as well.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah DC didn't leave enough room. He said it was like his collision with Wurz last year but it wasn't - when he hit Wurz he had no chance of making the corner, whereas Massa had everything well under control.

Too bad it's hard to find footage of that.
Its the lack of peripheral vision that is causing the problems
I dunno... We really ought to get a DC onboard too. Can you see the other car from that angle?
Quote from hyntty :I dunno... We really ought to get a DC onboard too. Can you see the other car from that angle?

Well, Cuoltharb's onboard vid would probably show nothing really until the hit...
I don't know about the DC/Massa incident. It's really hard to tell if Massa would have been able to take the corner if DC hadn't been there. What strikes me is, that Massa was pretty far behind until DC hit the brakes. Does DC really have to brake that much earlier or was Massa very, very late and would have ran wide?
Quote from Hyperactive :Well, Cuoltharb's onboard vid would probably show nothing really until the hit...

Touhcé! Shouldn't you be in front or at least nearly in level with the car in front of you to pass?
Quote from Linsen :I don't know about the DC/Massa incident. It's really hard to tell if Massa would have been able to take the corner if DC hadn't been there. What strikes me is, that Massa was pretty far behind until DC hit the brakes. Does DC really have to brake that much earlier or was Massa very, very late and would have ran wide?

If you watch Massa's onboard, DC does brake first but by the time they reach the corner they're side-by-side and decelerating at the same rate, so I assumed Massa would have made the corner.
It doesnt look like massa would have ran wide (imho), he had it tucked on the inside and turning. If u watch that clip he seems to be almost halfway past coulth by the time they start turning(pauze at second 5). Don't see any sliding or indication that he would run wide.

Another thing that i find pleads against coulthard is what he says in the BBC 5live report.
reporter : "so did u know he was there, did u see him?"
Coulth "ofcourse i knew he was there"
Non literal excerpt, but if u know someone is down on your inside and allready braking at his maximum.. u are the only one who can avoid an accident by turning in a bit later or taking a wider line. If u turn in regardless while knowing someone is there..well then u caused the crash imo.
Whether Massa had overtaking rights or not, he definitely had plenty of overlap at the point that the cars turned in. Coulthard should have given him track space, even if he didn't concede the position, and it was the fact that Coulthard DIDN'T give him track space that caused the accident. Sad to say, it's Coulthard's fault this time. Coulthard himself SAID he SAW Massa. So, having seen Massa, putting his car where Massa's car NEEDED to be (you can't defy the laws of physics, you can only bend their rules with flexi-wings - Massa's car wasn't getting any narrower), Coulthard forced the accident.
Quote from thisnameistaken :(...) by the time they reach the corner they're side-by-side and decelerating at the same rate (...)

Yep, watched it again. You're right, they are deccelerating at the same rate.

I guess it's mainly DCs fault then.
Being so far on the inside though, Massa should have been braking harder to scrub off more speed to cope with the smaller corner radii.

Meh, I'll blame Massa. Mainly because I love Coulthards reaction. If only more drivers were like that. I also hope he follows through with the threat.
It's the rev limiter's fault.

Massa was in Coulthard's slipstream, and was pulling alongside until he hit the revlimiter in 7th gear and couldn't move further down the inside of Coulthard.

Melbourne GP *Spoilers*
(336 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG