The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
The Mazda seems a bit understeery now, or I'm the only one that feels it that way?
Quote from Jshort : I haven't been paying attention to how I've been coming off the brake to be honest. I will try to be more conscious of that. Thanks and thanks for not flaming. I'd get hammered over at iracing for questioning their physics over there.

It's the same way in the real thing, which I've driven. You have to be very smooth releasing the brake, and releasing the throttle. The iRacing car is fairly close. It was closer with the very first release of the new tire model, but it's still pretty close now.

The school is basically trying to teach you to use one or the other pedal at all times. Too much time off either the brake or the gas will just make it looser and looser.
Quote from StableX :LoL....

I give them credit for putting a more stable tire out this build, but please don't tell me the car is canned...

Oh and 4% max tire wear after 20 laps of F1, please. Bridgestones were tough, but nothing should be that tough.
Can someone tell me if my inputs are o.k? Everybody is just so much damn faster than me I might just go back to racing AI. I dont' want to spend any more money on iracing if I suck pretty bad. Replay is riley and watkins with 13 gallons of fuel. Thanks.
Quote from PMD9409 :

I give them credit for putting a more stable tire out this build, but please don't tell me the car is canned...

Oh and 4% max tire wear after 20 laps of F1, please. Bridgestones were tough, but nothing should be that tough.

There are still issues no doubt, but it feels much better than before.
As Dave said tire wear is right now, but don't forget tire wear and degradation are two different things and degradation isnt implemented yet.

Grant Reeve staff forum post regarding temperature readings:
"To clarify on the generic description in Dave's quoted comment, the 3 measured temperatures we show are purely from the width of the tread surface, the sidewalls have their own temperatures and are completely seperate.

From what I can tell when I've looked at the tire temp "measurement" code, it looks perfectly reasonable. That the results aren't quite what people expect is more I think an indicator that parts of the NTM aren't quite spreading load over the surface as ideally as we would like due to certain simplifications of the overall shape of the tire that Dave would like to improve eventually that means the center is generally doing more work than the edges, and I suspect a little too much rolling drag heat at speed which pushes up the center temp.

It's all work in progress, and will get better over time. But this whole process is purely research - can't get it done in a month, patience is a virtue. It's taken 3+ years to get the NTM to here and will keep improving and getting better for
years to come.

Those who are recommending to just figure out what the tires like are on the right track. "

Eric Hudec staff forum post:
"That's because our temps at those slips don't affect the tires enough. That'll change though. "
Quote from Jshort :Can someone tell me if my inputs are o.k? Everybody is just so much damn faster than me I might just go back to racing AI. I dont' want to spend any more money on iracing if I suck pretty bad. Replay is riley and watkins with 13 gallons of fuel. Thanks.

Weird, I can't get the replay to show after I extracted to the right folder
Quote from StableX :Weird, I can't get the replay to show after I extracted to the right folder

Same. Very odd.
Quote from Jshort :Can someone tell me if my inputs are o.k? Everybody is just so much damn faster than me I might just go back to racing AI. I dont' want to spend any more money on iracing if I suck pretty bad. Replay is riley and watkins with 13 gallons of fuel. Thanks.

For some reason we cant get the replay to show. Here's my qual lap (1.03.366) with the same combo. Hope it helps.
Attached files
SW_WatkinsCup 1.03.366 qual 12.1.rar - 2 MB - 159 views
Quote from Concept-X :There are still issues no doubt, but it feels much better than before.
As Dave said tire wear is right now, but don't forget tire wear and degradation are two different things and degradation isnt implemented yet.

Yeah I read those two posts but they have said so many different things in the past couple months it can be confusing. At one point one of them said that "tire wear means very little compared to temperature of the tire". While to some degree that is true, tire wear affects the temperature of the tire quite a bit. Just seems like they can say differing things some times. Wish all their posts went to one area so we could read them in order.

Just waiting for the day we have fundamental properties in the tire, and not just a "feel".

PS for the other guys: Sometimes the replays get screwed up if you RAR/Zip them. Figured this out when I was uploading all/most of the replays for the Pro series and DWC.
Thanks guys!
Quote from PMD9409 :
PS for the other guys: Sometimes the replays get screwed up if you RAR/Zip them. Figured this out when I was uploading all/most of the replays for the Pro series and DWC.

Aha! Nice tip, thanks
Quote from The Moose :For some reason we cant get the replay to show. Here's my qual lap (1.03.366) with the same combo. Hope it helps.

Well you're kicking my arse through the bus stop, carousel and the left hander that's foresure. I wonder if me using autoblip and clutch costs me much time? My line is pretty darn close to yours.
Quote from PMD9409 :Wish all their posts went to one area so we could read them in order.

One of the things that really annoys me about them. Unless you are reading all threads on the forum or have all staff on your watch list you are likely to miss a fair few posts which can contain important information to you.
Quote from menantoll :One of the things that really annoys me about them. Unless you are reading all threads on the forum or have all staff on your watch list you are likely to miss a fair few posts which can contain important information to you.

You might find the following website useful then

http://iracerstuff.com/
my friend wanted to try iracing so i let him since im not renewing. hes the worst driver ever....
Quote from Mustangman759 :my friend wanted to try iracing so i let him since im not renewing. hes the worst driver ever....

guess you taught him well
Glowing brake disks? where? I drove the vette with the brakes on, nothing happened. Has anyone actually seen this new feature?

edit: most cars have glowing disks :rolleyes:
Quote :Brake Modelling

- Almost all our cars now feature a model of brake temperature. When your brakes get hot enough you will see them begin to glow. At a daytime track you can start to see glow if the brake rotor surface is getting hotter than about 1380 degrees F (750 degrees C), but at night you can see glow as the surface exceeds 1200 degrees F (650 degrees C).

- The only physical effect, currently, is that the brake rotor can radiate heat into the wheel rim of any car that has the new tire model. The old tire model does not model wheel rim temperature, so this effect does not apply. Hot brakes can really heat up a wheel rim, which will bring up the hot air pressure of a tire by several more psi over the course of a stint than without the brake heat being modelled.

- Currently these cars don't have a brake heat model plugged in, but will soon: Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Lotus 79, Street Stock.

- Currently these cars don't have rotors that visibly glow even though their brakes are being modelled, but will soon: Spec Racer Ford, Pontiac Solstice.

Reading release notes is fun
Well I want to see my brake temps Jack, and they no let me.
Quote from JackDaMaster :Reading release notes is fun

As is understanding the point someone is trying to make...

Quote from anttt69 :I drove the vette with the brakes on, nothing happened.

Can confirm that: dragging the brake several laps on the oval, not even a glimmer when they should be on the verge of exploding...

i want to know why is it that when im trying drive round corners the back end always tries to oversteer at 50mph.. no throttle, infact its usually when i come off throttle and coast into the corner.

i assume its setup related because people can not think this is a good thing..

not tried many other cars apart from the c6r and ford gt both of which suffer from it..

also why is it that i can go out for 10 laps and set a fast time then if i pit and go back out the first lap i do is much quicker? are the tyres still at their best from exiting pits? i thought they sorted it out.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG