The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from atledreier :Tried the skippy since it used to be the most fun car.

Feels like driving a cooked noodle now. Totally limp feedback, until it spins uncontrollably for no apparent reason.

?????

The Skippy drives great now. Big improvement, much more stable off throttle.
Had to crank up the FFB as it just felt dead (been playing rF2 too much I guess), but the DP feels pretty decent now. Not amazing, but not bad like other cars on NTM have been before.

The F1 is a bit interesting with LowDF, that's for sure. I can't say I'm ecstatic about that bit, but the ability to go over curbs now is definitely a breath of fresh air.

Oh and I think they fixed the issue with the road NTM cars on the banking (Daytona), at least the DP doesn't have the problem, but the HPD still might.
I feel like driving the GT, and the Vette now. Vette feels nice, but I had to turn the FFB up too.

HPD - Just need to get used to it. Aint bad.
Well, about people turning up the FFB... They did SOMETHING to the tires. The releasentes mention adjusted tire carcass damping, and that might be what we're feeling. But I checked, and the FFB peaks are still as high as before, so adjusting the FFB up will introduce severe clipping. So they filter out the FFB excitement, I'm guessing to tone down the pitstall wheelshake.

Wrong way around, imo. Fix the problem, not the symptoms.
Impressive how a subtle lateral/vertical force coordinate transformation bug was screwing things up in the previous NTM builds. I think this post from nogripracing perfectly sums up the mood for this historic step fw on the NTM:

Quote from Jack B :I'm stunned by how good the Skippy and the C6R drive.... This is easily the biggest step forward for the NTM yet. I expected it would be better, but not this much better.

Those cars are so easy to drive under the limit now. So predictable. Terrific low speed grip. Tons of feedback on the tires. You can adjust so much mid turn. Truly feels like you must be perfect to be fast, but if you're not perfect it won't bite you unless you really blow it.

I'd say Safety Ratings will rise on these two cars for sure, because the slower guys will probably be much safer. Maybe not faster, but they'll have some amazing nose to tail races.

Fast guys may find the razor's edge just as challenging. Hard to explain. You have to drive these cars now. Way past my expectations....

Even the guys who've dogged the previous NTM version are impressed. It's kind of surreal. What's next. Peace in the Middle East?

Well, I find it's a huge step sideways. Stil a pile of dung, but a different pile of dung now.
Tempted to resign up for a month and give it a try, may as well since I have the wheel out for rFactor 2 at the moment. Any further advances on what's improved/stayed the same/got worse from any regulars before I part way with a few quid for a months trial.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Tempted to resign up for a month and give it a try, may as well since I have the wheel out for rFactor 2 at the moment. Any further advances on what's improved/stayed the same/got worse from any regulars before I part way with a few quid for a months trial.

What content do you have?

Quote from jrd.racer :I feel like driving the GT, and the Vette now. Vette feels nice, but I had to turn the FFB up too.

HPD - Just need to get used to it. Aint bad.

Come join us Joe We now have ~14mph more than the HPD at the end of the straight. And it's not trying to kill me if I go a mm over the limit.
Quote from boothy :What content do you have?

More or less full content bar the corvette and LMP car along with a the Cup car. Track wise missing the newer tracks after SPA and some of the bigger ovals that wasn't often used in the truck.
I let my sub run out a month after the release of the NTM first time around.
Nice... re-subbing into another 3 month to try the NTM updates.
Only tried the Radical so far, but it has the same problems like any other "old" NTM car I've tried, it's just so twitchy around the centre of the wheel I keep over correcting or just plain throwing the car away with the tiniest steering wheel movements.

It's not as bad as before and the more I drive it the more comfortable I get, but around the centre of the wheel I don't feel in control at all.

I got my G27 at 540° in iRacing and in the profiler.

edit: I revert my statement, at least for the Corvette, feels much better there, I can actually push the car now. Maybe the Radical feels twitchy because of the low weight plus short wheelbase.
Has anybody tried the Star Mazda? I'm trying to like this car and everybody says it's great but I'm not getting that feeling at all. Car feels very sluggish with my steering inputs.

Actually to me it feels like they just tweaked the old tire model and killed the FFB. I'm no expert though. The corvette is definitely and improvement as I can actually drive it now without crashing almost immediately.
I think all the cars feel like boiled noodles.
Careful about speaking your mind in the iR forums. Apparently opinions dont just get a warning. I was handed a straight ban for my thoughts?

Can anyone see where i upset someone?, Nim refuses to comment on which post over stepped the mark.
Quote from anttt69 :Careful about speaking your mind in the iR forums. Apparently opinions dont just get a warning. I was handed a straight ban for my thoughts?

Can anyone see where i upset someone?, Nim refuses to comment on which post over stepped the mark.

A ban from the forums or iracing? I know about speaking your mind in the iR forums. There was a guy who made a post hinting that the race steward could be biased and got a one month suspension from the forum. It seems like insulting people is cool(i couldn't care less about that anyways) but you can't say the "wrong" thing about iracing.
And the praising commences. Muppets.

Steve Myers was right, everyone forgets everything bad when a new build comes out and everything is instantly the best for a week.
Hmm i wonder what your 5th amendments say about liberty & freedom of speech?
America doesn't have freedom of anything, we all know that already. It's not the only American game forum I know that censors alot of the posts that get made.
I've found 1+2 code from christmas in my email today, which was due today, so i used it.
So far tried the MX5 and had a good run around Daytona, feels a lot better than OTM and old NTM. While i had some trouble with FFB and as troy mentioned, it's very twitchy around the centre of steering, but i can finally feel some feedback from tyres, they've definately made a good progres since august, which is when i left them.
Those things on FFB, that make me trouble, are terrible twitching under braking, like it goes from left to right VERY fast, also i don't feel the weight of the car at all, like in LFS, it's just plain FFB effects.
Maybe it's just the MX5, tomorrow i'll try more, because i didn't manage to download more today.
Quote from carfetish :This NTM is going to let iRacing go viral http://www.nogripracing.com/fo ... =1527127&postcount=48

Now LFS and nkPro have a lot of work to do, physics-wise. (rF2, on the other hand, seems never having even made a serious effort in tire modeling).

I still think iracings new tire model is behind rF2 and netkar in "feel". I'm having fun with the daytona prototype though.
Quote from BlueFlame :America doesn't have freedom of anything, we all know that already. It's not the only American game forum I know that censors alot of the posts that get made.

People can complain about free speech only after game forums become owned by the US goverment
Quote from BlueFlame :America doesn't have freedom of anything, we all know that already. It's not the only American game forum I know that censors alot of the posts that get made.

A web forum is a private entity - just because it's "The Internets" doesn't give you the full rights of say, a public forum / town hall meeting type thing. The forum owners set the rules and you abide by them They can do whatever they want as long as it's not illegal (such as encouraging murder, organizing bank fraud, and similar)

I suppose I ought to give iRacing another go now that I have some spare time. Maybe I'll start organizing leagues in iRacing like I do in LFS
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG